PDA

View Full Version : Pro Bowl fan voting SURPRISE!

The Leaper
12-13-2007, 01:28 PM
Favre gets the most votes. That's not the surprise. Only he and Brady garnered over 1,000,000 votes.

Surprise? How about AJ Hawk getting the 4th most votes in the league for ALL defensive players? Thank you Ohio State nation.

http://blogs.jsonline.com/packers/archive/2007/12/13/favre-wins-fan-pro-bowl-voting.aspx

OS PA
12-13-2007, 01:35 PM
The fan's votes aren't the tell all for who is in the pro-bowl, but they usually are pretty close to who actually plays.

Here's what I expect to happen over the last 2/3rds of the votes

Starters
Favre
Woodson
Kampman
Barnett
Hawk

Alternates
Harris
Driver
Jennings

Does anybody know if any of the leading vote getters from previous years haven't made the pro-bowl?

I see another AFC win in the pro-bowl this year though.. it's going to be really hard to win with only ten players on the field :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:

I'm going to hell.

Honestly though, I hope and suspect they'll do something to honor Taylor, like make both teams start with 10 on the field.

footballfever
12-13-2007, 03:57 PM
The fan's votes aren't the tell all for who is in the pro-bowl, but they usually are pretty close to who actually plays.

Here's what I expect to happen over the last 2/3rds of the votes

Starters
Favre
Woodson
Kampman
Barnett
Hawk

Alternates
Harris
Driver
Jennings

Does anybody know if any of the leading vote getters from previous years haven't made the pro-bowl?

I see another AFC win in the pro-bowl this year though.. it's going to be really hard to win with only ten players on the field :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:

I'm going to hell.

Honestly though, I hope and suspect they'll do something to honor Taylor, like make both teams start with 10 on the field.

I doubt they'll do anything, the time has come and passed and we've mourned. Life has to go on and the pro bowl is a celebration of a year past, everyone wants to have a good time that would damper the mood a bit I would think. And besides no one watches the probowl anyway so it wouldn't honor him much when only 10,000 people tune in to watch.

woodbuck27
12-13-2007, 05:49 PM
A list of Pro Bowl starter that contains both Nick Barnett and AJ Hawk doesn't seem realistic to me following our team.

I feel overall that Nick Barnett certainly outplayed AJ Hawk.

Kampman and Woodson are not surprizes and Favre is all everything in 2007.

Whether he gets the nod for a 4th MVP or not is irrelevant for the BIG PICTURE. Favre's ALL that for our team.

I was pitching for WR Greg Jennings to get in and he just may but only as an alternate.

Greg Jennings has a super season to date. I love love his smile and general attitude that helps to bring that gung ho attitude to our side.

PACKERS FOREVER !

b bulldog
12-13-2007, 08:24 PM
The Pro Bowl is a popularity contest. If Hawk gets in, this totally proves it.

BallHawk
12-13-2007, 08:29 PM

Well, hopefully Ernie Simms gets in and all will be right in the world.

b bulldog
12-13-2007, 08:41 PM
Maybe but Ernie has 32 more tackles, 1 more sack and 2 more forced fumbles :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: Oh yeah, I forgot, hawk's greatness isn't measured by stats :oops:

b bulldog
12-13-2007, 08:49 PM
Rocky McIntosh and Patrick Willis should also have a great chance at going

packers11
12-13-2007, 09:24 PM
Hawk plays on a good defense... Simms plays on a shitty defense... His stats will be better...

BallHawk
12-13-2007, 09:26 PM
Maybe but Ernie has 32 more tackles, 1 more sack and 2 more forced fumbles :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: Oh yeah, I forgot, hawk's greatness isn't measured by stats :oops:

Ernie's a great player, but he's playing along side Paris Lenon.

Hawk is playing alongside Nick Barnett.

You need to put stuff in perspective. Simms had great stats last year, but they are still inflated because he plays on a crap defense.

I'm not implying Hawk deserves to get in, but Simms isn't blowing Hawk out of the water.

BallHawk
12-13-2007, 09:27 PM
Rocky McIntosh and Patrick Willis should also have a great chance at going

No to McIntosh, yes to Willis. Willis is playing out of this world for a rookie.

b bulldog
12-14-2007, 07:05 AM
Rocky plays on a solid D and has better numbers also than Hawk :oops: Actually, most good lb's have better numbers than Hawk so maybe stats shouldn't count

Partial
12-14-2007, 07:57 AM
Rocky plays on a solid D and has better numbers also than Hawk :oops: Actually, most good lb's have better numbers than Hawk so maybe stats shouldn't count

It's kind of hard to make tackles and force fumbles when you're chasing a tight end in coverage all day. Also, its tough when Barnett is blowing people up at the LOS. Of course Sims is going to have more tackles when teams run for 100+ yards on them week in and week out. They run on 1st, 2nd and 3rd down! :lol:

MadtownPacker
12-14-2007, 08:04 AM
The Pro Bowl is a popularity contest. If Hawk gets in, this totally proves it.Just like urlacher getting in? I agree though, it is a popularity contest, so there is no need to get yo panties in a bunch over who gets in.

Of course you are still likely pissed Favre got more fan votes then brady. :lol:

The Leaper
12-14-2007, 08:07 AM
It's kind of hard to make tackles and force fumbles when you're chasing a tight end in coverage all day. Also, its tough when Barnett is blowing people up at the LOS. Of course Sims is going to have more tackles when teams run for 100+ yards on them week in and week out. They run on 1st, 2nd and 3rd down! :lol:

Don't confuse bulldog with how the game is actually played. The fact that Sims has more opportunity to make plays because of how he is utilized in their scheme and the subpar defenders around Sims is completely missed on him.

Whether or not Hawk is better than a lot of these guys...I don't know. It is too early to draw a definitive conclusion one way or the other...unless you are bulldog.

b bulldog
12-14-2007, 04:35 PM
Leaper, they may be the same but when drafted, I stated numerous times that Hawk and the other top LB's in the class were very close and that we should trade down and pick up a 3rd or so and than pick a lb. I was told that I was crazy for that but you can't say that now. IMO, the LB taken first is close to the worst of the bunch but there is room for disagreement I admit. Hawk is solid, I jsu don't think he will ever be special and to those who think I don't like Hawk because he is a Buck, I really liked Bobby Carpenter, he is a Buck and I was way wrong on him. Once in a great while I get lucky :lol:

Merlin
12-14-2007, 09:33 PM
Favre gets the most votes. That's not the surprise. Only he and Brady garnered over 1,000,000 votes.

Surprise? How about AJ Hawk getting the 4th most votes in the league for ALL defensive players? Thank you Ohio State nation.

http://blogs.jsonline.com/packers/archive/2007/12/13/favre-wins-fan-pro-bowl-voting.aspx

I believe there are people in this forum that owe me an apology. AJ Hawk is not deserving of the pro-bowl this year, nor is Brian Urlacher. What did I say about media hype? Fan vote definitely went that way. If Hawk makes the pro-bowl, will those of you who jumped all over me suck it up and apologize? I am not holding my breath.

The Leaper
12-17-2007, 12:04 PM
I believe there are people in this forum that owe me an apology. AJ Hawk is not deserving of the pro-bowl this year, nor is Brian Urlacher. What did I say about media hype? Fan vote definitely went that way. If Hawk makes the pro-bowl, will those of you who jumped all over me suck it up and apologize? I am not holding my breath.

Sorry Merlin...

I don't see where this is media hype. Where has Hawk been hyped in the media?

This is because of 2 things...the vast Packer nation throwing support behind their guys, and the vast Buckeye nation throwing their support behind their guys. The Columbus Dispatch posts a segment in the paper every Monday morning about how every former Buckeye did that week in their NFL games. The Buckeye nation keeps a close eye on past favorites after they move on to the next level.

It isn't just coincidence that when Ohio State and Green Bay are both having success this year, a recent popular Buckeye on the Packers gets a lot of fan votes. More of their fans are cruising around the internet looking for info on their teams, and are more likely to surf past NFL.com and put in a vote for their players.

The Leaper
12-17-2007, 12:15 PM
Leaper, they may be the same but when drafted, I stated numerous times that Hawk and the other top LB's in the class were very close and that we should trade down and pick up a 3rd or so and than pick a lb.

Fine. However, you would need to find someone that wants to move up. If all these LBs were equal, as you suggest, why would a team needing a LB want to move up to grab Hawk? The only other guy who may have attracted interest for GB's pick was Vernon Davis...but I don't think he was someone that teams were willing to give up too much for.

There are always risks associated with moving down. You might not get the guys you are looking at...then where do you go? Green Bay had a need at LB...Hawk was a sure fire fit for that need...what was there to complain about?

Sims career: 230 tackles, 1.5 sacks, 3 FF, 1 INT, 3 passes defenced
Hawk career: 210 tackles, 3.5 sacks, 2 FF, 3 INT, 11 passes defenced

You can sit here and shit your bed all you want bulldog...Sims does not have better stats. He's a tackle machine...which is nice. Hawk is more well rounded and probably has a higher ceiling in the future because of it. Both are great players...but claiming it was a mistake for Green Bay to take Hawk is lunacy.

Jerry Tagge
12-17-2007, 01:45 PM
I'm sure Tuck Rule Brady is a better LB than Hawk too.

Shouldn't you be telling us how Rich Rodriguez is the greatest coaching mind in football today?

Jerry Tagge
12-17-2007, 01:48 PM
Where did Hawk go to college??? Oh yeah, it was THE Ohio State University.

Isn't Ohio State the team that always beats Michigan every November???

Yup, now we know why Tuck Rule Brady's boyfriend doesn't like Hawk. Real unbiased and impartial analysis from Ann Arbor bulldog.

Deputy Nutz
12-17-2007, 02:07 PM

Why do we owe you an apology? What fucking point are you trying to make?

Here is a point for you, the fact that Hawk has played great defense from the 6th week on should be a clue that some in the league and fans around the league have taken notice, besides he has a cool name.

.................................................. ...

Hawk is simply a better defender than Sims, or for that matter MacIntosh. He makes his defense better, he plays the way the scheme dictates, he plays in coverage more often and plays better coverage.

Simply put, you can look at stats all you want, but this is not baseball, sometimes there is no stat for a player doing his job. There is no stat for playing the cut back properly, or a stat for blowing up the fullback in the whole or covering a running back out of the backfield perfectly and the ball is never thrown that way. I am sure that these other linebackers also do these things as well, but just comparing stats, waste of time unless there is something obvious. 20 tackles more in two season isn't a reason to proclaim one better than the next. The Packers needed a weakside linebacker and they certainly got a good one.

b bulldog
12-17-2007, 04:30 PM
Tagge, who has beaten who more buddy :oops: ??? Please, I'm waiting for your answer and Brady, well, what he has done speaks for itself. :lol:

b bulldog
12-17-2007, 04:33 PM
Tuck rule :lol: :wink: 3 lombardis :lol: :lol: Going on four :oops:

b bulldog
12-17-2007, 04:36 PM
pARTIAL, Hawk had better numbers last season, this season, Sims haS CLEARLY BETTER NUMBERS. Now their is Hawk apologists and he has done nothing to deserve them.

SkinBasket
12-17-2007, 04:38 PM

The only thing your owed is a virtual kick in the nuts you loony fuck.

So suck it up buttercup.

http://neatorama.cachefly.net/images/2007-07/monk-kick-balls.jpg

Jerry Tagge
12-17-2007, 04:51 PM
Tagge, who has beaten who more buddy :oops: ??? Please, I'm waiting for your answer and Brady, well, what he has done speaks for itself. :lol:
Yeah, Tuck Rule Brady whines like a little girl whenever he throws an interception.

Brady got one title from the refs. Old Tuck Rule Brady LOST the game against Oakland when he FUMBLED. Refs handed him the game. Oakland or Pittsburgh should have played St. Louis in that SB.

I went on the University of Michigan website and it says "Welcome to the University of Michigan website. Owner: Jim Tressel."

b bulldog
12-17-2007, 04:51 PM
That pic makes me squeemish

b bulldog
12-17-2007, 04:56 PM
Answer my question Tagge, who has beaten who more??

b bulldog
12-17-2007, 04:57 PM
By that logic, Des howard gave reggie and Brett theirs rings, right?

Jerry Tagge
12-17-2007, 05:00 PM
By that logic, Des howard gave reggie and Brett theirs rings, right?
I don't remember the refs ever giving Favre a title?

Tell me, if the refs don't call the tuck rule, who wins the game? Oakland runs out the clock.

Apples and oranges. Your logic makes no sense as usual.

b bulldog
12-17-2007, 05:00 PM
57-41-6 Michigan leads the series :oops: I guess of 51 wins must have been gimmees by the refs :lol:

Jerry Tagge
12-17-2007, 05:01 PM
Answer my question Tagge, who has beaten who more??
I don't know what happened in 1891 and I really don't care.

I know whenever I watch Michigan play Ohio State the Buckeyes always win.

You should post your man love for Rich Rodriguez. He's the next coach to get owned by Tressel.

Jerry Tagge
12-17-2007, 05:26 PM
57-41-6 Michigan leads the series :oops: I guess of 51 wins must have been gimmees by the refs :lol:
You keep believing the refs didn't give Brady that game. The rest of the world knows the truth. This includes your boyfriend old Tuck Rule Brady himself.

Worst call in the history of sports.

b bulldog
12-17-2007, 06:36 PM
I actually agree with that. The tuck rule sucks but it is the rule.

b bulldog
12-17-2007, 06:36 PM
Does Coach Cooper ring any bells?

BallHawk
12-17-2007, 06:51 PM
pARTIAL, Hawk had better numbers last season, this season, Sims haS CLEARLY BETTER NUMBERS. Now their is Hawk apologists and he has done nothing to deserve them.

This has been said countless times, but I'll say it again: Sims is playing on one of the worst defenses in the league. Hawk is playing on a top 15, arguably top 10 defense.

Hawk is playing next to Pro-Bowler to be Nick Barnett. Simms is playing with Paris Lenon, I guy that couldn't even make our team.

Simms is a phenomenally talented player and he's a joy to watch, but stats in this case are meaningless. Right now, Hawk is doing his job on a winning defense. That's the biggest factor.

Deputy Nutz
12-17-2007, 06:51 PM
Does Coach Cooper ring any bells?

Nicest guy in the world.

Did you two fucks catch the piece on Michigan and Ohio St. on HBO? Made me cry like a baby, especially when sick old Woody came to a ceremony for his good friend Bo, and stood for a half hour on gimpy legs and gave a heart warming speech about his greatest rival in the game, in the end he called Bo his best friend.

Anyways, I have been a long time fan of Michigan, but I do like Jim Tressel, hell I really like Big Ten football, Hell I even like Tom Brady. Anyways Richie "the Hot Rod" Rodriguez brings hope back to Michigan, hope that Lloyd Carr crushed year after year, get hire, considering they pulled it out of their ass.

HarveyWallbangers
12-17-2007, 09:51 PM
This just in: A.J. Hawk is a really good player. Bobby Carpenter and Anthony Schlegel are not. Jim Laurinitis is somewhere in between.

ND72
12-18-2007, 09:56 AM

While I'm not fighting or arguing over stats...they do play different positions, on different defenses. I hate comparing players based on numbers. If you're gonna compare numbers find the numbers between Denver's weakside LB & Hawk, cause they play the same position in same defensive schemes. That's a true comparision. Our defense is designed to funnel to the MLB, Barnett should have top numbers.

PaCkFan_n_MD
12-18-2007, 10:54 AM
Hawk is definitely playing above average football and all because he doesn't have the stats doesn't mean he's not playing great. He’s doing what is asked of him, things I don’t think many other linebackers in the league would even be asked to do. If Hawk goes to the probowl I think it is well deserved.

Jerry Tagge
12-18-2007, 11:41 AM
If AJ Hawk went to Michigan he'd be the greatest LB in the game today.

Why don't you tell us how Rob Lytle is better than Barry Sanders or how Jamie Morris is better LaDanian Tomlinson.

Partial
12-18-2007, 11:49 AM
Dude you're far more annoying than BB

Zool
12-18-2007, 12:29 PM
I disagree. JT is so over the top, its like Cosmo Kramer walking in the door every time he posts. I personally love reading your stuff Jerry so matter what Incomplete says.

Merlin
12-19-2007, 03:46 PM

Sorry Merlin...

I don't see where this is media hype. Where has Hawk been hyped in the media?

This is because of 2 things...the vast Packer nation throwing support behind their guys, and the vast Buckeye nation throwing their support behind their guys. The Columbus Dispatch posts a segment in the paper every Monday morning about how every former Buckeye did that week in their NFL games. The Buckeye nation keeps a close eye on past favorites after they move on to the next level.

It isn't just coincidence that when Ohio State and Green Bay are both having success this year, a recent popular Buckeye on the Packers gets a lot of fan votes. More of their fans are cruising around the internet looking for info on their teams, and are more likely to surf past NFL.com and put in a vote for their players.

I won't go back and dig up the thread. AJ Hawk had a shit ton of hype last year. I said it would translate into votes this year and it did. But go ahead and keep on thinking you have the answer and thinking what I said before and now is total BS. If AJ Hawk had no media hype last year, no way he gets the votes this year, Packer fans, Buckeye fans or otherwise.

The Leaper
12-19-2007, 04:08 PM
I won't go back and dig up the thread. AJ Hawk had a shit ton of hype last year. I said it would translate into votes this year and it did. But go ahead and keep on thinking you have the answer and thinking what I said before and now is total BS. If AJ Hawk had no media hype last year, no way he gets the votes this year, Packer fans, Buckeye fans or otherwise.

Merlin, your argument makes no sense.

Why would hype LAST year translate to votes THIS year? If he was so hyped last year...and especially when he had a statistically better year...why then was he not voted so highly LAST year?

I'm not suggesting that Hawk hasn't had some hype. That holds true of any top 5 draft pick. However, I fail to see how this hype affected voting THIS year when it clearly didn't affect LAST year's voting.

Hype only lasts for so long Merlin...Rex Grossman got a lot of hype last year too. Did that last for him? Claiming that hype from a year ago gave Hawk votes now is a stretch. If you were claiming hype from the past few months helped him, then I would be more apt to agree with you. However, I haven't seen Hawk hyped heavily this season in the local media...let alone the national media.

b bulldog
12-19-2007, 09:59 PM
leaper=Hawk apologist

b bulldog
12-19-2007, 10:00 PM
Why is it that anyone who thinks Hawk isn't all what the homers think he is, doesn't make any sense?

Zool
12-19-2007, 10:35 PM
Why is it that anyone who thinks Hawk isn't all what the homers think he is, doesn't make any sense?

I was wondering the same thing. Why don't you ever make any sense?

Deputy Nutz
12-19-2007, 10:59 PM
leaper=Hawk apologist

What does he have to apologize for?

The Leaper
12-20-2007, 08:23 AM
leaper=Hawk apologist

Yep.

I fully apologize for our team having a stud WLB that is assignment sure and gets the job done to the tune of 12-2.

My bad, everyone.

b bulldog
12-20-2007, 06:50 PM
Like I said, HawK apologist! I don't even think the great one would call him a stud but I may be wrong :lol:

The Leaper
12-21-2007, 08:11 AM
I don't even think the great one would call him a stud but I may be wrong :lol:

I'm sure Wayne Gretsky doesn't have an opinion either way on Hawk.