PDA

View Full Version : Mario looking Super

esoxx
12-13-2007, 10:13 PM
Looks like Houston made the right choice after all. Three more sacks tonight. Took balls to not take the People's Choice, Reggie Bush.

HarveyWallbangers
12-13-2007, 10:19 PM
Definitely. He's really playing well. There may be other players from that class who are better (Bush isn't one of them), but he's turned into a good player fast.

Farley Face
12-13-2007, 10:20 PM
Looks like Houston made the right choice after all. Three more sacks tonight. Took balls to not take the People's Choice, Reggie Bush.

Agreed. At one point before the combine it looked like the Pack might have a shot at this guy. Hawk has been solid and I believe his ceiling has not yet been reached, but a stud DE is hard to come by, and Mario appears to be one. Scatbacks like Bush on the other hand are fools gold IMO.

BallHawk
12-13-2007, 10:21 PM
Woah.

There was a football game going on tonight? :shock:

packers11
12-13-2007, 10:22 PM
Make that four sacks tonight...

Farley Face
12-13-2007, 10:30 PM

If I remember right, the "People's Choice" in Houston was the home state boy, Vince Young, and if not him at least take Bush, so double balls to the Houston front office for not buckling under popular opinion.

footballfever
12-14-2007, 12:36 AM
Funny thing about that draft, I ran into TT in Austin Straubel airport in green bay right after he got back from the combine. I was actually a fan of the guy at the time, so I had a few words with him regarding what he saw there. Real approachable guy, didn't say too much about what he thought though. But when I brought up Mario Williams he said the kids a helluva athlete. He seemed to like him a lot, but I think he would have taken Vince Young had it come down to it.

b bulldog
12-14-2007, 07:03 AM
Wolf stated that he thought mario was one on our board but he would be gone when we would draft and TT was enamored with Young. Mario has gotten better but his ceiling is through the roof. A man weighing 290lbs, 6'6", runs a 4.6 and has over a 40" vertical, wow! He needs to still get better but he has played the run much better this season and now his sack numbers are beginning to accumulate.

KYPack
12-14-2007, 07:23 AM
but his ceiling is through the roof.

Dog,

If your ceiling goes thru your roof, it becomes your roof.

The Leaper
12-14-2007, 07:50 AM
It is hilarious to hear the talking heads still opine that Houston should've taken Vince Young instead of Mario.

MadtownPacker
12-14-2007, 08:09 AM
I dont buy that shit that TT was in love with young. Dude looks like crap on the field, is he even a real QB?

Even though I didnt know shit about him I was a SuperMario guy based on all of your opinions. Now I see what a monster he is!

Cheesehead Craig
12-14-2007, 08:09 AM
Somehow, I think the fans there have "forgiven" the Texans for taking him. Putting up 13 sacks on the season and 3.5 in their biggest game ever tend to give you a lot of love.

Partial
12-14-2007, 08:21 AM
I still think he's a year or two away from reaching his potential. His body still could use some extra weight.

Fritz
12-14-2007, 09:49 AM
My recollection was that the consensus amongst the GB sportswriters was that TT was enamored of young Vince Young.

Funny how last year everybody thought he was the Next Big Thing, and this year everybody think's he's the second coming of Bobby Douglass.

packers11
12-14-2007, 10:01 AM
There was no way he was going to take Vince Young... (after taking Aaron Rodgers the year before)

I thought it would be Mario, Hawk, Vernon ... In that order...

And my personal opinion, no matter how Mario turns out... Hawk was the best choice, the packers were is DESPERATE NEED of another linebacker... They could still use an upgrade at the SLB spot, hopefully T.T. tries to address that in the draft this year... (Later rounds, since the SLB doesn't see the field 100% of the time)...

Cheesehead Craig
12-14-2007, 11:47 AM
I still think he's a year or two away from reaching his potential. His body still could use some extra weight.
He needs more strength if anything. At 6' 7" 291 lbs, he's gotta be careful on how much weight he puts on.

Carolina_Packer
12-14-2007, 01:03 PM
I was actually a fan of the guy at the time, so I had a few words with him regarding what he saw there.

So, you're saying that you are no longer a TT fan? What changed for you?

Harlan Huckleby
12-14-2007, 09:12 PM
I have a recollection of several people posting he would be a bust during that draft. Can't remember exactly who, but one guy had a name like clutz, or maybe it was putz. Anybody care to confess?

cheesner
12-14-2007, 09:24 PM
Interesting stat: Mario Williams is now the career sack leader for the Texans. Not bad only being on the team less than 2 years.

esoxx
12-15-2007, 12:05 AM
Williams is an example of a guy shooting up the charts before the draft based in large part on his combine performance and measurables versus on-field production.

Sometimes these types of players hit. Sometimes it's just another case of VD.

Partial
12-15-2007, 02:15 AM
He needs more strength if anything. At 6' 7" 291 lbs, he's gotta be careful on how much weight he puts on.

He's light in the butt. He could use some thickened thighs and butt big time to anchor against the run. He looks pretty darn thin for a DE. Just muscular and thin.

Partial
12-15-2007, 02:16 AM
I dunno, everyone says he was a combine wonder but didn't he have 21 TFL his junior year? He was a solid player and was a top 5 pick before the combine for sure as I recall.

the_idle_threat
12-15-2007, 03:25 AM
Williams is an example of a guy shooting up the charts before the draft based in large part on his combine performance and measurables versus on-field production.

Sometimes these types of players hit. Sometimes it's just another case of VD.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

MJZiggy
12-15-2007, 08:46 AM

He's light in the butt. He could use some thickened thighs and butt big time to anchor against the run. He looks pretty darn thin for a DE. Just muscular and thin.

Considering the season he's having, the only ones concerned about his butt should be the EC...