PDA

View Full Version : Nary a word about a major career record

ahaha
12-14-2007, 10:03 AM
184 yards. That's all Brett Favre needs to break Marino's all time record. Barring an injury, he's sure to do it this week.
This story has gotten about .00028% press this week, and I'm a little surprised. It seems like Emmit's pursuit of Payton's record was hyped for a few weeks leading up to the event. And, he was a washed up player on a crappy team.
Oh well. I suppose they'll be gushing about it next week, provided the Patriots don't lose.
Watching football as a kid in the 80's, and marveling at guys like Marino, Elway, and Montana, I could only dream about the Packers ever having a QB that would hold all the major passing records. Thank you Brett Favre!

Zool
12-14-2007, 10:09 AM
I was wondering where all the articles about this were. Seems to me that this one, the wins and the TD's show how long Brett's been consistently good. You dont throw for 60k yards on accident.

Freak Out
12-14-2007, 11:22 AM
Typical of todays media...all over #4 and his family for some touching fluff piece but when he is about to become the NFLs all time leading passer......nothing. They are to busy talking about MLBs roid story.

What about the local beat writers?

swede
12-14-2007, 12:09 PM
I did a lot of surfing looking for information to use in the St. Louis game preview found on the home page.

I found the information you mention regarding the imminent breaking of another major NFL record by Favre on Packers.com's "Dope Sheet".

I didn't see it anywhere else, and as you say. it should be a bf deal.

BF4MVP
12-14-2007, 02:01 PM
I remember back in '05 when he was about to pass John Elway for second place (51,475). I thought there was absolutely NO WAY he would end up passing Marino (61,361). I mean, who would have thought that Favre (then 36 years old) would be able to pass for 10,000 more yards? It's incredible.

LL2
12-14-2007, 03:06 PM
The thing is NFL records do not get the media attention that baseball records do. After TD records (for QB, WR, and RB) and rushing yards (career and season) records by RB you will not see or hear much by the media.

Badgerinmaine
12-14-2007, 03:06 PM
It should gt more play than it has. Maybe the difference is because there are so many records for QBs Favre has already broken--the consecutive starts streak, etc. RBs tend to get judged more for one stat (yardage)

FritzDontBlitz
12-14-2007, 04:09 PM
They will probably give it an "oh yeah, by the way..." treatment some time this weekend. The minute he breaks it.

Are there any other career records left for him to break?

b bulldog
12-14-2007, 04:38 PM
I thought you were talking about the TD record Brady could break this weekend. Why no whinning about VideoGate and the Jets?? Looks as though they did it last year also :lol:

PlantPage55
12-14-2007, 05:12 PM
I thought you were talking about the TD record Brady could break this weekend. Why no whinning about VideoGate and the Jets?? Looks as though they did it last year also :lol:

And it was just as wrong for them when they did it. But how disgusting is it to me still? Very.

4and12to12and4
12-14-2007, 05:24 PM
They stopped the friggin' game in Detroit to show Marino lie about how happy he was for Favre after that TD pass to Jennings. He got Sportsman of the Year for God Sakes. Let's just chill out a bit, I'm sure he'll get his press time, he always does, heck, people make fun of how much time he gets and how much love he get from the "Maddens" of the sports world, so they probably are just sick of writing and reporting on new records from Brett Favre, because he carves a new one up every week. :oops: He'll get his love. The NFL Network will probably have our game as one of their replay games, especially if we win and he gets the record at an opportune time, like the last pass or a TD pass or something.

woodbuck27
12-14-2007, 05:32 PM
Favre has gotte a lot of ink this season to date.

We know he only needs 184 more yards to surpass Dan Marino,r ALL TIMEPASSING YARDS RECORD that looked to me untouchable for Bretrt to reach a few year's back.

He does it Sunday!!

Awesome.

Fosco33
12-14-2007, 05:40 PM
Thought you'd like this, Ed. It's a little old but pretty damn good.

http://www.latimes.com/sports/la-sp-erskine29nov29,1,1615388.column?ctrack=1&cset=true

Thursday 11-29-2007 7:57am CT
Favre homage: on bended, creaky knee

Chris Erskine
Man of the House

November 29, 2007

NBC has "Bionic Woman." The NFL has Brett Favre, the bionic man. Guess which one is having the better season? I don't know what you're eating, Mr. Favre, but pass the candy dish.

You're maybe the last American hero. A postmodern DiMaggio. A Wyatt Earp. You're about 140 years old, with the smile of an 8-year-old and a gun like Zeus.

You do all the things the other superstars don't. You play in that city by the bay, an obscure little place with more chipmunks than people, more deer rifles than cellphones. Up there in northern Wisconsin , you don't ride in limos; they just send over Santa's sleigh.

You're us, which isn't so bad -- at least if you ask us. You're not some natty dude, a blingy gold-toothed Liberace. No three-pointed kerchief in your suit pocket, like the male mannequins back in the Fox studio. No sir. You wear your hair like the 18th green, short and fast. You could comb it with a golf towel.

Yep, we appreciate your sense of style -- the plain gray T-shirts and the faded jeans. You've got that same lovely wife you started with. Your beard's getting a little frosty, the jowls a little puffy, but she's stuck by you, that woman. Through your tough times. And you through hers.

Love your loyalty, love your work. The cynics claimed you were done. "Retire, fool," they said last season. "Put a fork in Favre. His popper has popped."

Turns out they were the fools. They forgot you were part Choctaw, part '56 Chevy. You're having your greatest season yet, playing like a legend. And like a scrub who just appreciates the chance to suit up.

Sure, your wheels don't work like they used to. People forget that you have the same degenerative

hip disease that permanently sidelined Bo Jackson. At 38, you can sprint with the kids for about three half-steps, then ... look out ... cruuuuuuunch. Those first steps on a Monday morning must really snap-crackle-pop. Talk about a working stiff. Welcome to the club.

When you're not at work, you're at home, just like the rest of us middle-aged saps. I'll bet she's already nagging you about all the Christmas junk, huh? Brett, can you bring those boxes up from the basement? Brett, how about hanging the outdoor lights on the birch tree? That sort of stuff. Like the rest of us, you don't need a holiday to remind you of your blessings.

Yep, you're us all right, and we couldn't be more thrilled. You don't like to miss work under any condition. It's just the way you were raised. A guy thing. You don't miss work. In almost 300 games, including two Super Bowls, you haven't missed a start. It is the sports stat of our time.

And we certainly don't mind your sense of craft, your safecracker's cool. One moment, you're zinging thunderbolts across the middle. The next you're looping 9-iron shots in the end zone. The laser bomb that beat the Broncos? Boom! Brilliant.

You're what we all hoped to become in the backyards of our youth. You play as if you're hanging with your pals, and the sun is setting and the moms are calling everyone home for supper. Come on, Brett, your buddies say. One more. One more series ...

Blanda. Nicklaus. Aaron. They all played their respective games a long time, gave us old-timers hope. Now you're our time machine, our fountain of goof.

Tonight you'll play the Dallas Cowboys, that little franchise down in Texas that has always given the Packers fits. How great is that, a Cowboys-Packers game that really matters? Lombardi will be watching from his skybox, barking out commands, wondering where the hell Hornung is.

Also cheering will be millions of gimpy guys a little past their prime for whom you've become this year's most compelling sports story. An inspiration. A Perseus in cleats.

So, come on, Brett. One more. One more series ...

gbgary
12-14-2007, 07:19 PM
Typical of todays media...all over #4 and his family for some touching fluff piece but when he is about to become the NFLs all time leading passer......nothing. They are to busy talking about MLBs roid story.

and i bet Brett wouldn't have it any other way. you can tell he hates questions about the records being broken.

Scott Campbell
12-14-2007, 07:20 PM
I just can't bring myself to complain about Brett's lack of national attention.

FritzDontBlitz
12-15-2007, 03:24 AM
I just can't bring myself to complain about Brett's lack of national attention.

I miss his Master Card ads.

MJZiggy
12-15-2007, 09:02 AM
You don't have to miss that ad...you can see it any time you want.

http://www.packerrats.com/gallery/priceless.wmv

Badgerinmaine
12-15-2007, 03:44 PM
Pro Football Weekly's weekly football show mentioned the potential record today.

4and12to12and4
12-15-2007, 09:05 PM
That was a great article. It makes me feel better about all the time I've put into watching him, and talking about him here and everywhere else, especially at the holidays when the fams get together, they know I'll be somewhere in the house yapping to my nephews AND neices about how he's the greatest, and that he and I are both 38, both have skinny wives, two daughters, and both have beaten a Vicodin addiction. Jeez, I just wish I had his arm and/or money. Oh well, at least I've gotten to watch him play. That's the next best thing.