PDA

View Full Version : Free Agents in '08

Brando19
12-14-2007, 03:57 PM
Here's some free agents in '08 that could change some teams...even the Pack. From foxsports:

With the NFL season winding down, it's not too early to look at some of the prospective free agents who could be available in the offseason. The most attractive players include New England wide receiver Randy Moss, Indianapolis safety Bob Sanders, Tennessee defensive tackle Albert Haynesworth, New England cornerback Asante Samuel, San Diego running back Michael Turner, Chicago linebacker Lance Briggs, Indianapolis tight end Dallas Clark, Kansas City defensive end Jared Allen and Baltimore linebacker Terrell Suggs.

Tony Oday
12-14-2007, 04:00 PM
I still would like Micheal Turner

I think it would be awesome however he is going to be to much for us...

Zool
12-14-2007, 04:13 PM
Can Suggs cover the TE, or is he about exclusively a 3-4 rush LB?

Bretsky
12-14-2007, 04:26 PM
Bob Sanders

LL2
12-14-2007, 04:27 PM
I wouldn't mind seeing Asante Samuel or Sanders. I think our secondary could use a little upgrading and youth. I think Samuel is only in his 4th or 5th yr in the league.

b bulldog
12-14-2007, 04:27 PM
Sanders and the Colts are alreay working on an extension

Partial
12-14-2007, 04:32 PM
Can Suggs cover the TE, or is he about exclusively a 3-4 rush LB?

Rush end

woodbuck27
12-14-2007, 04:32 PM
1) Who here will stand against the possibility of us ever getting NE WR Randy Moss?

I'm wondering just 'a ballpark estimate' of what his price tag will read.
Step right up to the 'YOUR EGO will be Challenged'. . Booth

2) Why has San Diego RB Michael Turner been almost invisable this season?

I should know the answer to that question but it is escaping me.

3.) Where is our most pressing need ( position wise )?

3b Our second biggest need position wise.

4.) What on a scale of 1 to 10 will be the case that TT trades our first round pick (late first rounder) to acquire more picks ?

Freak Out
12-14-2007, 04:33 PM
Turner and Sanders.

b bulldog
12-14-2007, 04:36 PM
Moss will want big money and TT shouldn't and won't pay him all of that.

PaCkFan_n_MD
12-14-2007, 04:47 PM
Bob Sanders

O man would that be nice. He's the best safety in the league IMO.

HarveyWallbangers
12-14-2007, 04:53 PM
Buyer Beware. The big name last year made SI's All-Disappointment team.

Cornerback: Nate Clements, 49ers
Here's all you need to know about the guy the 49ers gave $80 million to: He hasn't been an impact player. The Niners rank 16th in pass defense, compared to 26th last year. They've given up 20 passing touchdowns (only eight teams have surrendered more), intercepted just 10 passes (only three teams have fewer), and opposing QBs have a 91.2 passer rating against them (that's the sixth-worst defensive showing in the league).

Freak Out
12-14-2007, 05:16 PM
Briggs, Haynesworth and Allen are going to want some huge piles of Cash next year if they don't work a deal out before FA.

Brohm
12-14-2007, 06:13 PM
Isn't Asante Samuel more of a zone player as opposed to a B&R/man coverage guy? Thought I read somewhere he would be a poor fit in our aggressive system.

BallHawk
12-14-2007, 06:22 PM
The majority of these guys will never see the market. Wait till the offseason to see what happens.

However, Bob Sanders would look pretty sweet in Green and Gold.

RashanGary
12-14-2007, 06:32 PM
I would love to have Jared Allen. Move Jenkins into Williams interior pass rush role and backup DE and then have Allen/Kampman as the DE's.

It's all dreaming though. If these guys see the market, they'll drag down whatever team they sign with by signing disgusting contracts that make it impossible to surround them with other talent.

Partial
12-14-2007, 06:38 PM
Most of those guys will get franchised. FA doesn't really happen anymore.

RashanGary
12-14-2007, 06:54 PM
Most of those guys will get franchised. FA doesn't really happen anymore.

Yup. Briggs is the only guy who should get a real UFA type deal. He's probably a slightly better player than Barnett. They are close IMO.

The difference between UFA and signing your own early is going to be defined with how much Briggs gets. People say UFA value is just market value. Well, Barnett got market value for signing a year early. Briggs is about to get UFA value. Let's see which is higher and by how much. I think it's just another example of how drafting well and being proactive in extending your own pays off. I think it's obvious, but it's still a conversation here, so I bring up yet another exibit in support of UFA stinks for the most part theory.

Scott Campbell
12-14-2007, 07:21 PM
Bob Sanders

I agree. He's injury prone, but I'd roll the dice.

Scott Campbell
12-14-2007, 07:27 PM
1) Who here will stand against the possibility of us ever getting NE WR Randy Moss?

Step right up to the 'YOUR EGO will be Challenged'. . Booth\

Why would we want Moss? That money will go to an area of need, if it goes anywhere at all.

SkinBasket
12-14-2007, 09:04 PM
This may as well be a list of players TT wouldn't even consider...

Not that that's a bad thing.

Merlin
12-14-2007, 09:17 PM
Thompson won't even bat an eye over this list of players. Moss will be in New England next year and more then likely will retire there with a super bowl ring.

The talent on our team is budding and so far with the way this season has gone, I look for another Justin Harrell/Jamal Renoylds type pick in the first round. Remember it's BPA, not need, regardless if they contribute at all to the team on the field.

MJZiggy
12-14-2007, 09:19 PM
Please refer to the Mario Williams thread for more details...

Patler
12-14-2007, 09:23 PM
Thompson won't even bat an eye over this list of players. Moss will be in New England next year and more then likely will retire there with a super bowl ring.

The talent on our team is budding and so far with the way this season has gone, I look for another Justin Harrell/Jamal Renoylds type pick in the first round. Remember it's BPA, not need, regardless if they contribute at all to the team on the field.

Let's wait for the next 4-6 games before judging whether or not Harrell contributes on the field this season. We might yet be glad he was drafted.

Merlin
12-14-2007, 09:35 PM
Sorry, number one picks don't ride the pines if they were worth the number one pick. "Oh my toe nail hurts".

Lurker64
12-14-2007, 10:01 PM
Sorry, number one picks don't ride the pines if they were worth the number one pick. "Oh my toe nail hurts".

He's not riding the pines now, and he won't be in the playoffs. What happened in the previous 13 games doesn't matter, we won 11 of those. If he makes a sizeable contribution to the next 6 games we play, he's worth the pick.

Besides, he played pretty well last week. Better than Williams, certainly.

MJZiggy
12-14-2007, 10:10 PM

Again, please see the Mario thread...

PackerBlues
12-15-2007, 03:10 AM
I dont Know that Harrell played all that great last week, but I am anxious to see more of him. These next three games will tell the story about some of our back ups, and hopefully Harrell.

the_idle_threat
12-15-2007, 03:48 AM

I wouldn't "stand against" it, because I don't have that strong of an opinion on the matter, but think we would be wise to pass on Moss. The receiving corps looks good and has great chemistry. Next season, James Jones (in his 2nd year) and Koren Robinson (a full year removed from suspension, and assuming *knock on wood* he stays clean) can be expected to take a step forward. As others have mentioned, we should spend the $$$ upgrading other areas of the roster that aren't nearly so deep. There aren't enough receptions to go around for the guys we have now.

I'm no expert, but I believe he was partly a product of San Diego's line, and the line isn't as good this year. Also, he's been banged up. On top of those things, Norv Turner hasn't committed to the run the way ol' Marty did.

This team has most of the pieces, but I'd have to say an upgrade at safety would be nice. Either that or a guard. An heir apparent or two at corner is needed, of course, but the corners should come out of the draft, rather than from FA, IMO. I think you need young guys.

See above.

4.) What on a scale of 1 to 10 will be the case that TT trades our first round pick (late first rounder) to acquire more picks ?
I'm gonna go with a 6 (assuming "1" is less likely and "10" is more likely). Any answer to this question is just a WAG, but I think the chances are better than not.

MJZiggy
12-15-2007, 08:43 AM

Two words: LaDainian Tomlinson.

PackerPro42
12-15-2007, 11:21 AM
Sanders would make our secondary very impressive. However I don't think Suggs would fit well into our system very well, he's more of a utility player that play DE and OLB. If he can play OLB straight up, I would love to have him instead of Poopinga.

Lurker64
12-15-2007, 12:59 PM

San Diego initially switched from a "run first" attack to a passing attack, with little success due to Rivers's regression. They've been transitioning out of it, but they've mostly become "a passing team that runs because they don't pass very well" than anything else. The result is fewer chances for both SD running backs. LT's numbers are down quite a bit as a result, and since LT gets many fewer touches than he did last year, Turner isn't needed so much to spell him.

The Leaper
12-15-2007, 06:54 PM

Unlikely.

Moss is going to want to break the bank this offseason. He demanded a one year deal precisely because he wants another monster deal. New England hasn't given anyone a monster deal in recent history...even Tom Brady is playing for relative peanuts.

Guiness
12-16-2007, 04:49 AM
Countdown to Washington offering Moss a mega-deal in 10, 9, 8, 7...

I can seriously seeing them doing it, cutting every promising rookie they have to scrimp and somehow land him for whatever he's asking.

OTOH it's hard to tell with Randy. If they go on to win the SB, there has to be an outside chance they'll talk him into staying for non-ridiculous money. He was so unhappy in Oak last year, that he has to value the environment.

Chubbyhubby
12-17-2007, 12:06 AM

1 We don't need another WR we have pretty good depth there.

2 Because LT has been the feature back for that team.

3 CB because we need look for the future for Al Harris and Chales Woodson both players are getting old and need new blood in the system. Get a Shutdown CB from the early rounds in the draft.

3b TE I would like to get one early but I have my doubts that TT will pick one up. Lee has been reliable and Bubba Franks have been a bust in my opinion.

4 Absoultly he will do that! Why change? He should trade with a top 5 team in the draft getting their 2 and 4 for our 1. We would a get a high 2 our 2 and low 3 high 4 and low 4 so forth..

PackerPro42
12-17-2007, 06:48 AM

1 We don't need another WR we have pretty good depth there.

2 Because LT has been the feature back for that team.

3 CB because we need look for the future for Al Harris and Chales Woodson both players are getting old and need new blood in the system. Get a Shutdown CB from the early rounds in the draft.

3b TE I would like to get one early but I have my doubts that TT will pick one up. Lee has been reliable and Bubba Franks have been a bust in my opinion.

4 Absoultly he will do that! Why change? He should trade with a top 5 team in the draft getting their 2 and 4 for our 1. We would a get a high 2 our 2 and low 3 high 4 and low 4 so forth..

I disagree that CB is our most pressing need at this point, as long as we have Woodson and Harris that position will be fine. I look more to the Guard position along with the Safety position.

b bulldog
12-17-2007, 07:38 AM
The entire secondary will need to get looked at. Harris' future looks to be on the downslide while 21's can't be far away. Age at that position usually doesn't mix very well. We could also use another RB, TE,OL, DL,LB. A young QB would be nice also.

The Leaper
12-17-2007, 07:47 AM
I disagree that CB is our most pressing need at this point, as long as we have Woodson and Harris that position will be fine.

You do realize both of those guys on are on the other side of 30, don't you?

No one is claiming we need someone to take their job now. What everyone is maintaining is that we need to draft some talent that will be ready to take their place when they decline...not wait until that happens and scramble to make amends.

Partial
12-17-2007, 01:29 PM
I think Safety, Guard and Cornerback are all the three positions they need.

They could use someone to step in right away at Guard and Safety, while I think they'll develop the talent for a year or two behind Chuck and Al.

run pMc
12-18-2007, 11:20 AM
Agree OG, TE, CB, and maybe S or someone to push for Poppinga's spot...but what about RB? Even if we resign Grant, you need 2 RBs in this era.

Packers4Glory
12-18-2007, 11:59 AM
Lock up Williams or sign Albert Haynesworth. I'm happy w/ our young safeties.

Packers4Glory
12-18-2007, 12:01 PM
I've also read speculation on Shaun alexander coming to GB next yr..due to the TT ties an such. I'd rather have Turner IF we decide Grant isn't the answer.

But IMO our biggest need is to continue to strengthen the lines on both sides of the ball. thats where championships are built.

The Leaper
12-18-2007, 12:22 PM
I've also read speculation on Shaun alexander coming to GB next yr..due to the TT ties an such. I'd rather have Turner IF we decide Grant isn't the answer.

Why would TT pass on Ahman Green to bring in someone just as old and broken down?

Packers4Glory
12-18-2007, 12:26 PM

Why would TT pass on Ahman Green to bring in someone just as old and broken down? i dunno. just saying what I had read. I think in ESPN mag which isn't much as ESPN is pretty much a joke anyway.

Deputy Nutz
12-18-2007, 12:53 PM
Allen Fanaca the offensive guard in Pittsburgh won't be resigned by the Steelers. He is an awesome player, probably the best guard in the game.

HarveyWallbangers
12-18-2007, 12:55 PM
Allen Fanaca the offensive guard in Pittsburgh won't be resigned by the Steelers. He is an awesome player, probably the best guard in the game.

He would be nice, but Pittsburgh seems to know when to let a guy walk. I wonder if he's on the decline.

Deputy Nutz
12-18-2007, 12:56 PM

He would be nice, but Pittsburgh seems to know when to let a guy walk. I wonder if he's on the decline.

They just said that they wouldn't pay 7 million a year for a guard. I believe he is relatively young, late twenties.

HarveyWallbangers
12-18-2007, 02:32 PM
They just said that they wouldn't pay 7 million a year for a guard. I believe he is relatively young, late twenties.

Looks like he just turned 31.

]{ilr]3
12-18-2007, 02:34 PM
Lock up Williams or sign Albert Haynesworth. I'm happy w/ our young safeties.

Haynesworth to me seems like a Cledius Hunt type of player. Plays his ass off to get a contract and then hops on the donut train.

footballfever
12-18-2007, 05:02 PM

he might not compute to a great guard in our system either, being that old there's a chance he's not athletic enough to play guard for us. I don't know what his height and weight are but I'd put money on him not being ideal for the ZB scheme.

wpony
12-18-2007, 07:08 PM
Does it really matter all these big name UFA TT wont go after them then we all get upset he usually picks up ones we don't know that work out some great some so so .
If he does open up the purse strings this YR. I would say the secondary is where what we should focus on first 1 or 2 safeties and 1 younger cb to give Harris some back up and possible future replacement.
Our offense is not to bad maybe draft a strong young safety and RB to give Grant so backup but I think Grant will continue to grow and impress but we need some insurance.

Lurker64
12-18-2007, 07:22 PM
My guess is that if enough of these kinds of guys go to the open market, this year's FA will look more like the year before last's FA than last year's FA. Thompson rushes out early on and signs a player who is not a big name, but is a player a lot of teams would like to have (like with Pickett). Then later on as FA drags, Thompson signs one of the bigger name guys with question marks and is competitive in a few others (like with Woodson).

My suspicion is that this last year there were a few guys that Thompson was interested in on the doorstep to FA, but those guys never hit the market (Tony Gonzalez) or were snapped up within hours of FA opening (Adalius Thomas). Within a couple hours of FA starting, all those guys were off the table and so Thompson sat on his hands while people spent megabucks on Nate Clements, Drew Bennett, etc. Last year was an unprecedented bad free agency class. Virtually none of the big name free agents have contributed in significant ways this year. My kudos to any GM who more or less sat this one out.

Deputy Nutz
12-18-2007, 09:05 PM

he might not compute to a great guard in our system either, being that old there's a chance he's not athletic enough to play guard for us. I don't know what his height and weight are but I'd put money on him not being ideal for the ZB scheme.

Every team in the NFL runs the zone blocking scheme to a certain extent, Fanaca isn't a brute of an offensive linemen, and I am sure that he is more athletic than Jason Spitz or D. Colledge.

wpony
12-18-2007, 09:07 PM
I was not saying TT was wrong I was just tryiing to say I am not going to try and get worked up about any big name UFA because its not TTs way of doing things and his way is working :)

run pMc
12-19-2007, 08:07 AM
It is interesting from a fan's perspective to look at the draft and FA to see who's out there and to imagine what your team would be like with some of those players...but it's just daydreaming.

TT has shown he's more likely to use the cap money on resigning his own players (since they see them practice daily) than someone else's. If that means Williams, Grant, and Bigby get resigned and he drafts more kids to get coached up and fill in the gaps, so be it.
I think TT might go after a second tier guy, but I'm not expecting a big splash. Then again, he almost never does what I expect.