PDA

View Full Version : Miami Dolphins for sale: $1 Billion!

Brando19
12-14-2007, 08:13 PM
I found this on PFT:

We've been saying for a while now that, if the Dolphins go 0-16, everyone should be fired.

Apparently, the owner is thinking about firing . . . himself.

Per the Miami Herald, the Fins are for sale. The price tag? $1 billion.

Last year at this time, we heard rumors that a sale was in the works to Florida Panthers minority owner Jordan Zimmerman and Papa John's CEO John Shattner. But Huizenga denied it at the time, even though we'd also heard that Huizenga had been putting out the word that the team could be had for $1 billion.

The Dolphins currently are 0-13, and could become the first team in NFL history to lose 16 games in a single season.

MadtownPacker
12-14-2007, 08:43 PM
Trump should buy them.

SkinBasket
12-14-2007, 09:02 PM
Not really a reasonable price tag given the state of the team.

Merlin
12-14-2007, 09:20 PM
If we all chip in, we may be able to start the bidding at $1. Any bets it doesn't reach $1 Billion?

Guiness
12-14-2007, 09:32 PM

don't know that the current state of the team has much to do w/the price tag. And most egomaniacs that would consider it, would also think they're going to turn it around, no problem.

Value of the team is purely from being a member of one of the world's most elite clubs, and one of it's marquee members at that.

vince
12-14-2007, 10:48 PM
If we all chip in, we may be able to start the bidding at $1. Any bets it doesn't reach $1 Billion?
As long as Merlin has no input whatsoever in personnel decisions, I'm in for a buck.

Otherwise, it's much too risky for my money.

SkinBasket
12-15-2007, 08:51 AM

don't know that the current state of the team has much to do w/the price tag. And most egomaniacs that would consider it, would also think they're going to turn it around, no problem.

Value of the team is purely from being a member of one of the world's most elite clubs, and one of it's marquee members at that.

You still need to show that you're going to be generating some kind of revenue. Even rich people don't like losing money or being known as the guy who owns the crappiest team in the league. Going 0-16 isn't a great way to pack the stands nor does it provide an owner something to brag about to his friends.

Scott Campbell
12-15-2007, 08:58 AM
I wonder how much they'd be asking if the team were winning?

Brando19
12-15-2007, 09:10 AM
If I remember correctly...5-10 years back the Vikings sold for $800 million.

LL2
12-15-2007, 09:55 AM
Fortune magazine put an article out on the value of all sports franchises. I'll have to look it up. I think the Cowboys and Redskins were on the top, but surprising they put the Packers in the top 10 (I think). Good thing no one owns the team, otherwise I do not think it would have stayed in GB for 85 years.

MJZiggy
12-15-2007, 10:05 AM
Fortune magazine put an article out on the value of all sports franchises. I'll have to look it up. I think the Cowboys and Redskins were on the top, but surprising they put the Packers in the top 10 (I think). Good thing no one owns the team, otherwise I do not think it would have stayed in GB for 85 years.

Why would it not stay in Green Bay? The fan base there is spectacular and the team is making money. No reason to move a team with a 60K waiting list for season tickets...

cheesner
12-15-2007, 10:40 AM

Why would it not stay in Green Bay? The fan base there is spectacular and the team is making money. No reason to move a team with a 60K waiting list for season tickets...Wouldn't you rather sell jerseys to a city population of 10m rather than 200k? I know the Packers get lots of state support, but still, all those extra bodies adds up.

MJZiggy
12-15-2007, 10:43 AM
The team isn't just the city team, though, you have to look at the fact that the entire state worships them, including Milwaukee and Madison. Add to that the fact that over the last 10 years or so, the Favre jersey has been the best selling jersey in the league...

Tarlam!
12-15-2007, 10:56 AM
Y'kow, the Sydney Dolphins has this ring to it, y'know?

Rastak
12-15-2007, 06:48 PM
Man this was a funny quote......

''I'm not surprised,'' former Dolphins tight end Jim Mandich said. ``It has been joyless for Wayne recently. Nobody has worked harder to put a successful team on the field, but every move seems to be an exploding cigar.''