PDA

View Full Version : SPITZ BEST OF 3 OL DRAFT PROSPECTS ??

Bretsky
12-14-2007, 11:02 PM
Packers get Spitz to fit in as needed on shifting line
By TOM SILVERSTEIN
tsilverstein@journalsentinel.com
Posted: Dec. 13, 2007

Green Bay - Every day when he reports to work in the morning, Green Bay Packers offensive lineman Jason Spitz doesn't know if he'll be playing in the same spot he was the day before.

Jason Spitz doesn't care where he lines up, as long as he's playing and helping to protect Brett Favre.
So he grabs his helmet after meetings, heads to the Don Hutson Center and waits for offensive line coach James Campen to tell him where to line up.

Wednesday it was at left guard. Thursday it was at right guard. Today, who knows?

"My understanding of it is, we're so fortunate to have a job," Spitz said Thursday after another practice in which he prepared to play three positions. "As long as I'm playing, I'm happy. Where they put me makes no difference. Where I can help the team out is where I need to be."

Coach Mike McCarthy understands that if Spitz were able to stick in one spot, he'd probably be a better player, but the reality is he has one guard who can't stay healthy (Junius Coston), another guard who is playing at a backup level (Daryn Colledge) and no one else to back up starting center Scott Wells.

So the 6-foot-3, 300-pound Spitz, who has started five games at right guard, one game at left guard and three games at center, serves as the swing man, filling whatever position needs to be filled. On Sunday, he'll start at left guard if Coston's ankle cooperates, or at right guard if it doesn't.

Versatility has helped Spitz's cause, but so has his improved all-around play. Almost a full two seasons into it, Spitz, a third-round pick, has emerged as the best of the three linemen general manager Ted Thompson selected in the 2006 draft.

Colledge, a second-round selection and the highest pick of the three, has been up and down as a starter and finally flamed out against Dallas two weeks ago. Tony Moll, a fifth-round pick and the third of the three selections, hasn't shown much, and started three games only because Coston and Wells were both out and the coaches needed someone to play right guard.

Spitz has endured some of the same bumps in the road Colledge, Moll and Coston have, but each time, he has picked himself up off the ground and worked his way back into favor. Of late, he has looked more like the tough, hard-nosed run blocker he was at Louisville, where he started his final 38 games.

"He's had some good vertical push and stayed on blocks," offensive coordinator Joe Philbin said. "I think sustaining and finishing a block, it's like when you tell a receiver or a runner to finish a play. You want to see a lineman finish a block. I just think he's doing a better job of that."

A year ago, Spitz started 13 games, 11 at right guard and two at left guard. He was adequate as a pass-blocker, giving up three sacks, but his run blocking was unacceptable. Impressively strong in the upper body, he lacked power and flexibility in his legs.

When he had to drive a defensive tackle or linebacker out of the way, he often couldn't do it. He wound up spending more time on the ground than the defenders he was supposed to be putting there, and spent a good part of the off-season working on his core muscles.

"In the old days you wanted to see them (linemen) with dirt and mud all over them, but today unless you're cutting them, you want guys who can stay on their feet and sustain blocks," Philbin said. "They shouldn't be on the ground because they're blocking up. You want them on top of the defender.

"That's the one thing I've noticed with him. I watched the St. Louis film from last year and he's practicing better now and doing a nice job."

Spitz, who many scouts thought would have to play center because his arms aren't long and his 40-yard dash time isn't very good, admitted that the game was sometimes too fast for him as a rookie. He was used to locking on to guys in college and not having to worry about them coming free.

But now, he's being asked to read defensive fronts, understand how his blocking assignment might change and go from double-teaming one guy to picking off a linebacker all in the same play. And none of that has to do with pass blocking, which in the Packers' offense is a high priority.

"Overall, I think my game has improved," said Spitz, who has been responsible for just a half-sack this year, but who leads the team in holding penalties, with four. "I think the game has slowed down here the past year. Last year, I was swimming a little bit trying to get my job done, seeing who's where and this and that.

"But the game slowed down and I'm little more locked in on who I'm blocking, so am I satisfied with the improvement this far. But I can continue to get better."

The big question is whether he'll be allowed to do it at one position. Being able to line up at the same position every day would help in his development, but until Coston gets over his ankle injury Spitz is going to have to be a jack of all trades.

"Moving people around is not desired," McCarthy said. "But that's where we are and really why we spend so much extra time as we can playing multiple positions. To play with the same group every rep, day in and day out, that's a benefit, no question about that. But we've also been rolling those guys for some time, so it's second nature."

esoxx
12-14-2007, 11:59 PM
I actually think Coston has the most potential of the three but can the guy stay healthy and be counted on? I'm still not a big Spitz fan but I think he's "good enough" to do the job. At least he's a tough SOB. Colledge is a huge disappointment. His value will be versatility as a back up at guard or tackle in a pinch. Just isn't consistent enough to be a starter at this point and not sure the light will ever go on for him.

Partial
12-15-2007, 02:13 AM
I actually think Coston has the most potential of the three but can the guy stay healthy and be counted on? I'm still not a big Spitz fan but I think he's "good enough" to do the job. At least he's a tough SOB. Colledge is a huge disappointment. His value will be versatility as a back up at guard or tackle in a pinch. Just isn't consistent enough to be a starter at this point and not sure the light will ever go on for him.

Echoed. I agree completely. I still have some hopes for Moll as well.

RashanGary
12-15-2007, 07:16 AM
I like Spitz and Coston as well, Partial. I think we have two good guards.

I'll echo your Moll love too. I see him as a guy who has a chance of picking right up where Tausch leaves off.

I'm concerned about LT though. I hope we find a real LT in this years draft. CB or LT would be my first two wishes early in the draft. If we don't, Barbre acctually seems to have LT type skills. He wouldn't be a mauler but he seems to have top notch pass blocking skills and he's very athletic. I personally don't feel comfortable at that position but I didn't feel comfortable at RB or Safety this year either and that worked out.

Scott Campbell
12-15-2007, 07:31 AM
I like Spitz and Coston as well, Partial. I think we have two good guards.

I'll echo your Moll love too. I see him as a guy who has a chance of picking right up where Tausch leaves off.

I'm concerned about LT though. I hope we find a real LT in this years draft. CB or LT would be my first two wishes early in the draft. If we don't, Barbre acctually seems to have LT type skills. He wouldn't be a mauler but he seems to have top notch pass blocking skills and he's very athletic. I personally don't feel comfortable at that position but I didn't feel comfortable at RB or Safety this year either and that worked out.

I haven't heard squat about Barber since early training camp. I imagine we'll be drafting some OL's this year.

Fritz
12-15-2007, 08:36 AM
My impression of the article is that it's talking about the three drafted last year - Colledge, Spitz, and Moll. Coston was the year before. But him I like the best of the four, too.

Barbe, well, maybe - I hope - its a testament to the Pckers getting away from the complete wreckage of last year and the year before that we don't have to hear about Barbre. Better than hearing about him the way we heard about Witherspoon or whoever that seventh round temporary starter was two years ago...

Bretsky
12-15-2007, 09:39 AM
My impression of the article is that it's talking about the three drafted last year - Colledge, Spitz, and Moll. Coston was the year before. But him I like the best of the four, too.

Barbe, well, maybe - I hope - its a testament to the Pckers getting away from the complete wreckage of last year and the year before that we don't have to hear about Barbre. Better than hearing about him the way we heard about Witherspoon or whoever that seventh round temporary starter was two years ago...

One good thinga about TT's mojo of turning seven picks into 11 every year as he has plenty of picks to turn into players. If he misses on six and still hits five it's no biggie.

MJZiggy
12-15-2007, 09:41 AM
I'm interested in that mojo this year because after this last draft, TT said he wouldn't have to do that as much...

b bulldog
12-15-2007, 09:46 AM
Colledge is a T, not a G. The Packers are going about this wrong like they did in the beginning with Mike Wahle.

Bretsky
12-15-2007, 09:55 AM
Colledge is a T, not a G. The Packers are going about this wrong like they did in the beginning with Mike Wahle.

Wahle had a killer drive to excel; it will be interesting to see if Colledge ever learns how to get that

Bretsky
12-15-2007, 09:55 AM
I'm interested in that mojo this year because after this last draft, TT said he wouldn't have to do that as much...

JS also did a writeup be4 last year's draft claiming GB would not do that as much and may even trade up

TT never shows his cards regardless of what they are

Lurker64
12-15-2007, 01:09 PM

Exactly. Colledge just isn't a brawler and he doesn't get after guys. A lot of playing inside is a temperament, which Colledge just doesn't seem to have. Excepting his start against Jason Taylor (who made a lot of people look bad last year), he's looked pretty good in space. He's definitely athletic enough to play outside. I think his future is at T.

Honestly, I wouldn't be surprised if Green Bay looks at moving Tauscher inside and putting Colledge outside at least a little in this offseason. Tauscher's still good, but his mobility isn't what it used to be.

the_idle_threat
12-15-2007, 02:05 PM

I like to keep in mind that Coston was still junk until after year two---far worse than Spitz or Moll are now. I'm hoping that we continue to see improvement from Spitz and Moll in year three, after their second pro offseason, like we are seeing with Coston (when healthy) right now in his third year.

I don't have as much faith in Colledge, because I think you can't teach attitude. I agree with those who believe his future might be at tackle.

Brohm
12-15-2007, 04:26 PM
We have a lot of young guys on the line: Colledge, Spitz, Moll, Coston, Barbre and Tony Palmer. I think by next training camp our guard situation and RT of the future will clear up. LT is the only question (which is really a Colledge question).

Edit: Clear up, I mean starters who can focus on one position. Moll at RT, Coston at RG, Spitz at LG something like that.

Patler
12-16-2007, 07:45 AM
There is something wrong with Colledge's play that I just can't quite figure out. He gets manhandled by power moves with some regularity, which you can attribute to a lot of different things. The confusing part is the number of times he has either been out-quicked by defensive tackles, or just totally confused by them, and has allowed them through virtually untouched, even in the limited area a guard plays. It happens not only on stunts or things intended to cause confusion. It has happened from the simplest moves of a DT. Everyone gets beat now and then, but to not even get a piece of the guy is a real concern.

I'm afraid Colledge will end up the type of LT that gets his QB killed. What we saw Taylor do to him last year could happen when he faces any number of quick outside rushers, and there are quite a lot of them. If he completely whiffs as he has shown a tendency to do, a qb could be clobbered in a very ugly manner.

There is something missing in his play. No last ditch effort to get a piece of the guy or to do something. Its almost like a surrender on a particular play.

Scott Campbell
12-16-2007, 08:13 AM

JS also did a writeup be4 last year's draft claiming GB would not do that as much and may even trade up

TT never shows his cards regardless of what they are

I still see this roster in need of a number of upgrades. I wouldn't mind 11 picks.

RashanGary
12-16-2007, 08:17 AM
I'm afraid Colledge will end up the type of LT that gets his QB killed. What we saw Taylor do to him last year could happen when he faces any number of quick outside rushers, and there are quite a lot of them. If he completely whiffs as he has shown a tendency to do, a qb could be clobbered in a very ugly manner.

There is something missing in his play. No last ditch effort to get a piece of the guy or to do something. Its almost like a surrender on a particular play.

I completely agree, Patler. There is something about him that inspires almost no confidence in me. You never know, and I'm usually not one to throw a guy under the bus until he really gets a chance but for some reason, I can't picture him as anything more than a left side backup. I feel like we need a new player to replace Clifton because Colledge just seems like junk to me. Well, not junk, but a guy you don't want starting.

Fritz
12-16-2007, 08:51 AM
There is something wrong with Colledge's play that I just can't quite figure out. He gets manhandled by power moves with some regularity, which you can attribute to a lot of different things. The confusing part is the number of times he has either been out-quicked by defensive tackles, or just totally confused by them, and has allowed them through virtually untouched, even in the limited area a guard plays. It happens not only on stunts or things intended to cause confusion. It has happened from the simplest moves of a DT. Everyone gets beat now and then, but to not even get a piece of the guy is a real concern.

It is strange. It's difficult to not speculate that it's got something to do with the guy's mental or emotional make up more than any lack of physical abiltiy. It probably never hurts to draft an offensive lineman or two every year. I remember Ron Wolf saying once that he told Favre that Wolf would never let Favre get battered thanks to a lack of skill on the offensive line.

pbmax
12-16-2007, 09:26 AM
I believe its his feet. He tends to lunge toward a target instead of moving his feet to get into a position to intercept the rusher. And that's why simple moves beat him even when he doesn't have to contend with other garbage. It gives him no leverage.

Patler
12-16-2007, 10:11 AM
I believe its his feet. He tends to lunge toward a target instead of moving his feet to get into a position to intercept the rusher. And that's why simple moves beat him even when he doesn't have to contend with other garbage. It gives him no leverage.

That is what I suspect is part of the problem. If he lunges, doesn't stay "square" and does not remain balanced over his feet, he can be between quickly. Those are things that can be taught (not always completely, but at least improved most of the time). However, the part that bothers me is that when he is beaten, nothing happens. I've seen Tauscher and Clifton (as well as Rivera, Wahle and others in the past, even Spitz the last two years) contort themselves into the most awkward positions just to get a piece of a guy going by them, to bump the rusher off stride, anything to slow or divert him. I've seen Colledge look almost statue-like as he gets beat. I'm not sure that is something that can be taught.

We have seen it time and time again from Tauscher this year. The guy has played a good part of the season on one leg. He often gets beaten (which rarely happened in the past), but he never gives up on the play. There was an isolation of him in a game a couple weeks ago. He lunged at the guy going around him, barely grazing his side. But it was enough to upset his balance so the player had to stick his leg farther out to regain balance. Favre took a half step, and delivered a completion as the player just got his inside arm on Favre. It was a pressure, probably a QB hit, but a completed pass. Without Tauscher's last effort, it was likely a sack, deflected pass or at least an incompletion.

Patler
12-16-2007, 10:33 AM
It probably never hurts to draft an offensive lineman or two every year. I remember Ron Wolf saying once that he told Favre that Wolf would never let Favre get battered thanks to a lack of skill on the offensive line.

Wolf has said you really need to draft an O-lineman every year, just to bring in a guy to develop, He had very good success with that, with "afterthoughts" like Timmerman, Rivera and Tauscher developing quite nicely, in addition to higher picks like Dotson, Taylor, Verba and Clifton.

For all his "promises" to Favre, many of the O-lines Wolf put together were good, but not great; and turnover rate in the O-line was very high under Wolf. The best and most stable line he put together was the one he left Sherman with.