PDA

View Full Version : Guys who won't make the roster next year

RashanGary
12-15-2007, 12:04 PM
Shawn Bodiford, Ruvell Martin, Ryan Krause, Craig Nall, Vernand Morency, Conrad Bolston (don’t even know who he is, but he’s probably not good), Colin Cole, Frank Walker

I'm sure there are others, but these guys seem like weak links on our roster. The depth is OK right now, but I think we're a year away from being a top 5 team in roster depth.

MJZiggy
12-15-2007, 12:13 PM
I don't see Ruvell going anywhere. Morency either. I would see Jackson gone first I think as the coaches seem pretty high on Morency as a 3rd down back. Conrad Bolston has only been on the roster for 3 days, so it's kind of hard to judge but he did have a forced fumble last week, so maybe thinking he's probably not good is an unfair assessment. Craig Nall may very well be gone next year, and I'm thinking Corey Williams just may bolt in FA.

Either Desmond Bishop or Tracy White might be gone as well. Don't know which one.

b bulldog
12-15-2007, 12:13 PM
martin has a good shot at making the roster. He has ggod size and good hands. He gives us a big WR. Cole also has a shot, Williams will be gone imo and to be honest, it won't break my heart if he is.

BallHawk
12-15-2007, 12:14 PM
I agree with you on everyone except Ruvell.

He's caught everything thrown to him, not to mention he's the tallest WR on the roster. The only thing Ruvell suffers from is having 4 other high-quality WR on the roster. Put him on your average NFL team and he would be a #3 WR, perhaps a #2 on teams with a bad WR corps.

I don't think TT needs to go WR on day 1 of the draft. I'm sure he'll pick up 1, 2, possibly 3 WRs throughout the course of the draft, but where is a replacement for Ruvell going to come from. I don't see any FA WR that I'd want to sign (Randy Moss is not realistic, nor would I want him anyway) The only thing signing an FA would do is take away opportunities from the future of our WR corps, which is Jennings and Jones.

I don't see any reason why Ruvell wouldn't be here in '08.

oregonpackfan
12-15-2007, 12:16 PM
I agree that Martin's height brings an added dimension to the receiving corps. He also has good hands and respectable speed.

I doubt he will be cut.

b bulldog
12-15-2007, 12:16 PM
Tracey White is our best ST's player so I don't see him leaving. Wynn would also be a person whom I think may be gone next year. Bubba Franks will be a very interesting decision also.

The Shadow
12-15-2007, 12:18 PM
Tracey White is our best ST's player so I don't see him leaving. Wynn would also be a person whom I think may be gone next year. Bubba Franks will be a very interesting decision also.

Not to me.
He'd be gone.

b bulldog
Bush may not be back also if we get some secondary help via the draft or UFA.

MJZiggy

Good call.

b bulldog
12-15-2007, 12:19 PM
I could see him restructuring his deal or just taking a pay cut.

b bulldog
12-15-2007, 12:20 PM
This offseason, our aging secondary needs to be adddressed. This will be one of the main reasons why imo, Williams will be gone. We will need that money elsewhere than the Dline on defense.

vince
12-15-2007, 12:50 PM
In 2006, 20 new players were added to the roster.
In 2007, 15 new players were added to the roster.

I'd say it's getting tougher and tougher to make this roster.

I think Brandon Jackson and Tony Moll are also possibilities to get cut, depending on how things fall in the offseason.

the_idle_threat
12-15-2007, 12:53 PM
They will have to make room for a new batch of draft picks. I suspect they draft a young receiver with size, and Ruvell loses out to the younger guy. But then the Vikings sign Ruvell and he beats out Robert Ferguson again. :lol:

Lurker64
12-15-2007, 12:55 PM
Tracey White is our best ST's player so I don't see him leaving. Wynn would also be a person whom I think may be gone next year.

Exactly. Barring a major injury, there's no way Tracy White gets cut. Ace special teamers are valuable in this league. Not financially, but to team's success. He's forced two special teams fumbles that were returned for TDs this year. I see nothing that would result in him getting cut. We also don't have a lot of depth at LB.

It's sort of weird to speculate who's going to get cut right now, when we don't know who we pick up in the offseason and we don't know what kind of offseasons these guys will have. Last year about this time if you came up with a similar thread, people probably would have said that Jolly was probably going to get cut. But after the offseason, training camp, and first half of the season he had now we have threads about how much we miss his presence and how much we hope someone else steps up to fill his considerable shoes.

If I'm a betting man (and I'm not) I would say that we're not likely to have both Desmond Bishop and Abdul Hodge on the roster next year, unless one of them shows they can play outside or they're both great on Special Teams.

Bretsky
12-15-2007, 01:12 PM
Last year we selected Cole as one to be gone too

I see Corey Williams not being on the roster after TT lets him go in UFA
I see Deshawn Wynn struggling to make the team
Frank Walker
Abdul Hodge
Bubba may need to rework his deal to stay
Boddiford

Lurker64
12-15-2007, 01:19 PM
Abdul Hodge

Hodge is a hard one to call. He's been nowhere near as explosive as he was in college, but how much of that is due to the patellar tendonitis slowing him up? It's entirely possible that after surgery, he'll have a good offseason and a good camp (since he knows his butt is on the line here) and make cutting him hard.

Hodge is sort of in the position of "he needs to show something, or he's gone" at this point. But you know, guys do tend to work to keep their jobs in this league. Predicting that a guy won't be able to work hard enough to keep his job is kind of a downer, I think.

GoPackGo
12-15-2007, 02:00 PM
In 2006, 20 new players were added to the roster.
In 2007, 15 new players were added to the roster.

I'd say it's getting tougher and tougher to make this roster.

I think Brandon Jackson and Tony Moll are also possibilities to get cut, depending on how things fall in the offseason.

I think Noah Herron and Deshawn Wynn will be the RB's that don't make it. Jackson is a first day draft pick rookie and I think he'll get some time to develop

BallHawk
12-15-2007, 02:05 PM
Abdul Hodge

Hodge is a hard one to call. He's been nowhere near as explosive as he was in college, but how much of that is due to the patellar tendonitis slowing him up? It's entirely possible that after surgery, he'll have a good offseason and a good camp (since he knows his butt is on the line here) and make cutting him hard.

Hodge is sort of in the position of "he needs to show something, or he's gone" at this point. But you know, guys do tend to work to keep their jobs in this league. Predicting that a guy won't be able to work hard enough to keep his job is kind of a downer, I think.

Unless he has a superb training camp he's gone. He's been a tease the whole time he's been here. He can hit pretty damn hard, but how long can we utter the "maybe next year" phrase?

woodbuck27
12-15-2007, 03:22 PM
Good thread.

packers11
12-15-2007, 03:35 PM
I won't :( ....

haha but in all seriousness... Bodiford, Walker, Wynn, Williams (FA), and Franks (if he doesn't rework contract)...

I think Wynn has the best chance of making it if he can improve in the off season, I also think that JACKSON WILL STAY... He's a second round pick, there is no way they let him go after one year...

He has a ton of potential and time to improve... I don't see any possible way they get rid of him...

mmmdk
12-15-2007, 04:22 PM
The OL needs help next season; yet I can't make the call on who's on the OL bubble. Moll perhaps or even Colledge though I doubt it.

Brohm
12-15-2007, 04:34 PM
If Moll's stinger heals up 100%, I think he is our RT of the future, also can slide in at guard if needed. He plays with a nasty streak and is still shaping his body after that massive weight gain his senior year (250 as a TE to 300 as a tackle). He has shown ability (stoning Merriman in preseason, etc), and as MM said, they would be further along if they did not have to focus on multiple positions.

RashanGary
12-15-2007, 05:45 PM
I agree with Moll. He's done as well as Colledge with every oppertunity and he was a guy who was supposed to take a year or two to develop. All things considered, his play has been impressive. I have him damn near penciled in at RT after Tausch leaves. Colledge is the guy I think is on the edge. He's just not a good player. He'll be fine as a backup, but I do not want him starting. We need a LT to start grooming behind Cliffy (and soon)

The Leaper
12-15-2007, 07:44 PM
I would think 8-10 roster spots might be up for grabs.

#1 casualty...Nall. Obvious.

#2 casualty...Morency. I'm guessing he won't be resigned...but even if he is, he will be in a struggle to keep a spot on the roster. I think Jackson will get one more year to prove himself...and that is largely why I think Morency has little chance to return.

#3 casualty...Moll/Barbre. I would assume Thompson will look to bring in some additional talent at G...especially if Colledge is moved to LT. It is likely someone who is brought in will beat out Moll/Barbre.

#4 casualty...Franks. This isn't a certainty. Lee is very solid, and we don't need to go in search of a top notch TE this offseason. However, with the injury history of Franks, you have to think Green Bay is going to look at finding someone to push him.

#5 casualty...Bolston. He's got 4 capable DTs in front of him, and I expect Thompson to push hard to keep Williams. Even if he can't retain Williams, I still think Bolston is toast...and Muir will also be on the hot seat.

#6 casualty...Hodge/Bishop. Barnett's run in with the law might force Thompson to find someone better to back him up...because it is possible Barnett could miss time due to suspension at any point in the future, either from the current problems he's had or additional issues.

#7 casualty...Walker.
#8 casualty...Bush. The DB situation needs to be addressed, and I expect some tough roster decisions here in camp next year.

Other possibilities...Peprah, Davis, Hunter.

The Leaper
12-15-2007, 07:46 PM
Colledge is the guy I think is on the edge. He's just not a good player. He'll be fine as a backup, but I do not want him starting. We need a LT to start grooming behind Cliffy (and soon)

Colledge will be moved to LT. He's not strong enough to play guard, but he has the footspeed to move outside and be Clifton's eventual replacement. He's not a bad player...he simply isn't playing in a position that is natural for him. He looked OK at LT when put there in a pinch recently.

The Leaper
12-15-2007, 07:48 PM
If Moll's stinger heals up 100%, I think he is our RT of the future, also can slide in at guard if needed. He plays with a nasty streak and is still shaping his body after that massive weight gain his senior year (250 as a TE to 300 as a tackle). He has shown ability (stoning Merriman in preseason, etc), and as MM said, they would be further along if they did not have to focus on multiple positions.

I agree. This is his best chance to stick with the team...and there have been rumblings that GB might consider moving Tauscher inside to RG because he's lost a step.

vince
12-15-2007, 10:46 PM
Here's who I'd say the solid, likely and possible members of the final 53 are.

QB
Solid: Rodgers
Likely: Favre
Possible: Nall, Draft Pick/FA

RB
Solid: Grant
Likely: Jackson, Draft Pick/FA
Possible: Morency, Wynn, Herron

FB
Solid: Hall
Likely: Kuhn
Possible: Draft Pick/FA

OLine
Solid: Clifton, Tauscher, Wells, Coston, Spitz
Likely: Colledge, Barbre/Moll, Draft Pick/FA
Possible: Barbre/Moll

TE
Solid: Lee
Likely: Krause/Draft Pick/FA/Humphrey
Possible: Franks

WR
Solid: Driver, Jennings, Jones, Robinson
Likely: Martin
Possible: Draft Pick

DLine
Solid: Pickett, Jolly, Kampman, Jenkins, Harrell, KGB
Likely: Montgomery, Hunter, Muir
Possible: Williams, Draft Pick/FA, Colston, Cole

LB
Solid: Hawk, Barnett, Poppinga
Likely: Bishop, White, Draft Pick/FA
Possible: Hodge, Havner

DB
Solid: Harris, Woodson, Blackmon, Collins, Bigby, Rouse
Likely: Williams, Bush, Draft Pick/FA, Peprah
Possible: Walker, Culver

ST
Solid: Crosby, Ryan
Likely: Davis/Draft Pick/FA
Possible: Bodiford

That's 50 "solid" and "likely" roster members with 5 draft picks/FA's "likely" to make the team, leaving another 3 spots to be filled from the 18 "possibles."

Partial
12-15-2007, 10:53 PM
Solid breakdown Vince.

KYPack
12-15-2007, 11:22 PM
Ah, yeah.

I think it's pretty likely we'll retain that Favre kid at QB.

Nice work Vince, other than that "likely" comment on Brett at QB.

The OLine is definitely a work in progress. All these guys are milling around, it'd be nice to develop a star guard here and there.

the_idle_threat
12-15-2007, 11:29 PM
My guess is that vince thinks it's "likely" but not certain that Favre will decide to return.

ND72
12-15-2007, 11:56 PM
good thread...my biggest worry is Corey Williams. I've watched a lot of games, and I think he is seriously our most solid D-Lineman on our team, even over Kampy & Jenks. I really hope Teddy is wise here and gets him signed, cause he is a solid run stuffer & pass rusher, and when you have that at a DT, it's solid! Picture Warren Sapp if you would. I don't think he's that caliber, but he has the potential to be.

It's gonna be an interesting offseason, because THIS offseason should have been the one where we really put the pieces together to make a run next year, and we're a year a head of what I thought would be our process, so we have a bunch of those pieces I think already.

At RB, I think Grant & Jackson will be our #1 & #2 going into camp and they'll let Morency walk, and Wynn will battle with whomever to keep a roster spot.

After that, the guess is as good as anyones. I still think we need to address some CB in the draft early, get our future ready now there, Harris & Woodson are solid, but aren't young, and have been getting banged up.

I'd still like to see an upgrade over Poopinga, but I won't complain if they stay the course.

ND72
12-16-2007, 12:01 AM
#3 casualty...Moll/Barbre. I would assume Thompson will look to bring in some additional talent at G...especially if Colledge is moved to LT. It is likely someone who is brought in will beat out Moll/Barbre.

No

sorry. Moll & Barbre are both development guys, and from what I've read, both have been improving daily, and impressing daily. Gotta remember, Barbre is a D-2 draft pick...they take a few years to figure out the speed of the game.

CaliforniaCheez
12-16-2007, 02:42 AM
Frank Walker, Tracy White, Rob Davis, Koren Robinson, Tyrone Culver, Tory Humphrey, Carlyle Holiday. I think are on the bubble.

They will have to work to make the roster.

Ryan Krause, Noah Herron, Ryan Powdrell, DeShawn Wynn, Tony Palmer, Chris Francies, are the most unlikely to make the team.

Corey White, Spencer Havner, Orrin Thompson, may be near misses and continue on the practice squad.

Fritz
12-16-2007, 08:59 AM
You left me off your lists. I don't think I'll make the team next year, either.

Joemailman
12-16-2007, 09:08 AM
Torrance Marshall

retailguy
12-16-2007, 11:45 AM
Torrance Marshall

Hey Rumplestilskin! Welcome back! :P