PDA

View Full Version : Champions League TODAY

No Mo Moss
05-17-2006, 01:11 PM
SO the European club championship (Champions League) final is today on ESPN at 1:30 ct between Arsenal of London and Barcalona. It should be an all time great. I'm TIVOing it so I won't be able to comment on it until this evening.. If possible whether you like soccer or not I would tune into this one. It will be very entertaining.

Rastak
05-17-2006, 01:14 PM
SO the European club championship (Champions League) final is today on ESPN at 1:30 ct between Arsenal of London and Barcalona. It should be an all time great. I'm TIVOing it so I won't be able to comment on it until this evening.. If possible whether you like soccer or not I would tune into this one. It will be very entertaining.

DAMN, I wish I'd have tivo'd it. Maybe they'll replay the game later.

No Mo Moss
05-17-2006, 01:15 PM
whew, bummer Ras.

No Mo Moss
05-17-2006, 01:18 PM
If its a good enough game they will play it on ESPN classic right away. They did that last year when Liverpool won, but that was widely condiered one of the greatest games in history, I agree that it was. This has the makings to be one of the very best as well though. Two of the absolute best players in the world squaring off. Thierry Henry vs Ronaldinho. The game will probably be fairly slow at first, like a prize fighter match, but as soon as someone scores its going to be great.

HarveyWallbangers
05-17-2006, 02:26 PM
Arsenal down a guy early.

Noodle
05-17-2006, 02:42 PM
1-0 at half.
And it's Arsenal in the lead!
A team down a man is always dangerous.
Just hope the Gunners don't go in to a total Italian defensive shell for the remaining 45 minutes.

sepporepi
05-17-2006, 03:34 PM
1:2 now...

Noodle
05-17-2006, 04:03 PM
And done. Barcelona wins 2:1. Not a bad game considering Arsenal played down a man. Would have been a lot more fun had it been even up. Still, pretty good show. The technical skill of those guys is feckin' amazing.

Back to the Pack!

jack's smirking revenge
05-17-2006, 04:07 PM
Wish I could've watched it. That would've been a great game. Anyone know for sure when it'll be rebroadcast?

tyler

Deputy Nutz
05-17-2006, 04:09 PM
The best thing going on in the world of football is a fucking soccer game. You all should be ashamed for starting this thread.

Green Bud Packer
05-17-2006, 04:35 PM
I threw ten hail marys after reading this post as penance to the football gods

jack's smirking revenge
05-17-2006, 04:43 PM
Sorry to contradict you Nutz, but football is actually soccer. It originated there and grew out of rugby. To be fair, our version of football should be called American Football. Thus, we are talking about football.

tyler

Noodle
05-17-2006, 06:31 PM
I'm not getting in this debate. Soccer sucks. Does not. Does to. Snoozeville.
Slow news day on the Packer front, so Nutz, my apologies, and I'll try not to let it happen again.
But it really was a good game!

Tarlam!
05-18-2006, 01:16 AM
It was a superb game. Fast and furious, those Barca goals were incredible. That Barca midfielder sprinted 50 yards up the middle about 100 times with possession of the ball. What a pace!

The Barca coach did a fantastic job. The referee needs to be shot and made an example of. His decisions were the worst I've seen in that calibre a game for a long time.

Deputy Nutz
05-18-2006, 08:57 AM
Sorry to contradict you Nutz, but football is actually soccer. It originated there and grew out of rugby. To be fair, our version of football should be called American Football. Thus, we are talking about football.

tyler

Hey Tyler, I did say the world of football, did I not? Did I ever say soccer was not considered part of the world of football? I certainly can't say, "The best thing going on in the world of football is a fucking football game. You all should be ashamed for starting this thread." I think I would have sounded like a fucking moron.

The funny thing about my post, was that this was probably the worlds Super Bowl in terms of one event on one single day. Americans get all fired up about the Super Bowl, but the Champions League Championship gets a passing note on Sports Center with some English guy that zero Americans can understand when he is breaking down the events of the game.

Unless Americans are playing Soccer, they could really care less about the world's most popular sport. Weird uh?

Noodle
05-18-2006, 10:32 AM
Nice thing about the game yesterday was the announcing team ESPN2 had -- Rae and an Irish guy named Tommy Smyth. Just made the whole thing more enjoyable to have guys who knew what the hell they were talking about. Beat the crap out of the usual mugs they put on, who delight in explaining, with great seriousness, that in soccer, it's a penalty to touch the ball with your hands. Gimme a figgin' break.

If you think I'm overstating the importance of quality announcing, think how much your skin crawls when you have to watch gridiron football with the third-rate announcers, or anytime Theisman opens his yap. But even the NBC third team is head and shoulders above the dreck they usually put up to broadcast soccer games.

Anyway, Tarlam, glad you enjoyed the game too. I agree the Barca midfield played like a battering ram, and Ronaldinho is so cool on the ball it makes you sick. I was surprised to see Henry gassed by the 65th minute, his lame effort when he was put through was, to me, caused by exhaustion. But overall, great stuff.

No Mo Moss
05-18-2006, 04:18 PM
I think its always cool to hear all of the different commentators from all over the world. I was suprised they had Marcela Balboa as an on the field reporter. He does a great job, but he a yankie so it suprised me they put him in sucha big role, but he delivered.

I can't believe Lehman pulled that guy down. That wasn't very smart. He probably would have saved one of the BArca goals. That ought to stir up some contraversy considering he was just named Germany's starting keeper over legend Oliver Kahn.

The World cup starts May 9th!!!!!

HarveyWallbangers
05-18-2006, 10:42 PM
The World cup starts May 9th!!!!!

???

No Mo Moss
05-19-2006, 01:33 AM
June 9th, oops.

Tarlam!
05-19-2006, 01:41 AM
I can't believe Lehman pulled that guy down. That wasn't very smart. He probably would have saved one of the BArca goals. That ought to stir up some contraversy considering he was just named Germany's starting keeper over legend Oliver Kahn.

That was shitty refereeing! Even though Lehman pulled him down, the ball carried to his team mate in front of an open goal. He should have played the advantage, awarded the goal and yellow carded Lehman.

Instead, Barca was goaless and had Henry netted in the 65th, Asennal was over the hill. Normally, that Henry strike is in the net 99 times out of 100. Your probably right Tyler: fatigue.

There is no discussion about Lehman vs. Kahn as a result of the red card, BTW. There is far more discussion about 5 or six players omitted from the 23 man squad.