PDA

View Full Version : One Of Chilly's Players Caught Chill'n

Scott Campbell
12-15-2007, 06:15 PM
Vikings' Childress expects Smith to play despite being cited for pot possession

Associated Press

EDEN PRAIRIE, Minn. -- Minnesota Vikings starting safety Dwight Smith is expected to play Monday night against Chicago despite a misdemeanor citation this week for marijuana possession.

Coach Brad Childress said Saturday that he anticipates Smith playing. Childress deferred comment and announcement of discipline until the case is resolved.

"I am going to get all the facts before I pass any judgment on it," Childress said.

The incident occurred Thursday night, and Smith practiced as usual Friday and Saturday. Childress said he addressed the matter with the team Friday.

According to the Minneapolis police report, Smith's vehicle was stopped for impeding traffic at a downtown intersection. An officer "smelled the strong odor" of the drug as he approached the car, and Smith -- according to the report -- said he had "just got done smoking some marijuana."

The charge is punishable by a $125 fine for a first offense.

"Ain't nothing," defensive tackle Pat Williams said. "It's just people trying to get in our locker room. We ain't worried about that. We're just all focused on the Chicago Bears."

Smith was absent from the locker room on Saturday while it was open to reporters. He is a member of Childress's eight-player veteran leadership committee, as is Williams and cornerback Antoine Winfield.

"It's not a big deal at all. You know things happen. Unfortunately, that did. We still don't know all the facts," Winfield said, adding: "Of course you don't want to be the guy that's getting in trouble or called out, but until everything comes out we're just moving on."

Childress declined to acknowledge any disappointment -- at least not yet -- in Smith.

"I just prefer to center all my attentions on all the positives that have occurred this year and all the good, and I think that all the virtue has to be defended," the coach said.

Childress said he spent an evening last spring on the beat with city cops, taking in the scene first hand. He used the experience to develop an educational video for his players that covered the potential dangers of downtown socializing.

"I initiated it, but they were nice enough to let me come down there and catch me up to speed," Childress said. "I don't profess to be in that area, but I like to know where our guys go here from Eden Prairie down there and what the dynamics are, if you will."

Childress said he even left his phone number on the squad bulletin board as a reminder of his availability to talk with police.

"Not because we expect anything other than regular treatment. I expect my guys to comport themselves the right way, but I like to know what I am faced with," Childress said.

Though his teammates and his coach downplayed the distraction, the Vikings (7-6) didn't need this while they're pushing for the playoffs. Especially with the top two backup safeties, Tank Williams (doubtful, knee) and Michael Doss (questionable, hamstring), on this week's injury report. Rookie Eric Frampton is the only other safety on the active roster, beside starter Darren Sharper.

Smith, who could face a suspension from the NFL, though probably not until next year, has been in trouble before.

He was cited for indecent conduct with a woman in a downtown stairwell in August 2006 and kept out of the season opener by Childress because of that. The coach has also benched Smith for the opening series of two other games for unspecified disciplinary reasons, most recently on Dec. 2 against the Detroit Lions.

In 2003, when he was with the Tampa Bay Buccaneers, Smith pleaded guilty to pulling a gun on a motorist. For that, he was fined $225, placed on probation for one year, and ordered to take anger management classes and complete 25 hours of community service.

The franchise has an infamous history of off-the-field transgressions, most notably the 2005 bye-week boat party that resulted in misdemeanor charges of indecent and disorderly conduct for three players. Early in last season's training camp, wide receiver Koren Robinson drove recklessly and drunk a few weeks before Smith was caught in the stairwell.

This year, though, the police blotter has been quiet. An arrest of cornerback Cedric Griffin in April for disorderly conduct at a nightclub was the only sign of misbehavior that became public, until this week when Smith was allegedly caught with the pot.

Copyright 2007 by The Associated Press

swede
12-15-2007, 08:09 PM
When will the Vikings wake up!

http://i190.photobucket.com/albums/z236/dsteenswede44/reefer_madness.jpg

...and stop the madness!

Rastak
12-15-2007, 08:15 PM
When will the Vikings wake up!

http://i190.photobucket.com/albums/z236/dsteenswede44/reefer_madness.jpg

...and stop the madness!

LOL....I was laughing when I heard a tune from way back in the 30's a few years ago.

"Can you see, that reefer man, he sure look strange to me"

edit: I did see reefer madness oh so many years ago.....

4and12to12and4
12-15-2007, 09:33 PM
Who's hands are on what part of that hot chick at the top of that pic? And what the hell does that have to do with getting stoned?!!!!! :shock:

MadtownPacker
12-16-2007, 08:50 AM
I dont give a damn if this happens to a viking but whatever happened to the special treatment athletes where suppose to get? She is trying to ruin the vikings shot at the playoffs.

Rastak
12-16-2007, 08:54 AM
I dont give a damn if this happens to a viking but whatever happened to the special treatment athletes where suppose to get? She is trying to ruin the vikings shot at the playoffs.

It's kinda like the Barnett deal....seems to me they'd overlook jaywalking from a star player. In Smith's case it's pretty stupid to fire up a joint while obstructing traffic during the season. Can't these guys just cool it during the season?

Fritz
12-16-2007, 08:55 AM
Who's hands are on what part of that hot chick at the top of that pic? And what the hell does that have to do with getting stoned?!!!!! :shock:

At the time the idea was that smoking pot would cause women to become instantly slutty. Of course, this is more true of alcohol than pot, but the alcohol industry was well established by then, so they never faced the scrutiny that pot did.

There also is some evidence out there that research done in the 70's about the effects of pot was supressed by the government because the results suggested pot might have some medical uses - which we now know is true.

Tony Oday
12-16-2007, 09:58 AM
Dont worry he will be a starter still this is the culture of responsibility at winter park. Oh wait he still is starting? he should be benched for stupidity. I mean it wasnt a drunken fight he was smoking weed will parked in front of sheiks!??!!?#%#@$ ARE YOU FRICKEN STUPID!

MJZiggy
12-16-2007, 10:04 AM
Has the league tested him yet? I think he might not pass...can you say 4-game suspension?

Rastak
12-16-2007, 10:35 AM
Has the league tested him yet? I think he might not pass...can you say 4-game suspension?

Has he already got one strike? I haven't heard.