PDA

View Full Version : Ex-Packer News **FYI**

Pack0514
05-17-2006, 01:41 PM
From KFFL.com:

Texans | T. Murphy attends practice
Tue, 16 May 2006 23:20:11 -0700

Megan Manfull, of the Houston Chronicle, reports free agent WR Terrence Murphy (Packers) attended the Texans' practice Tuesday, May 16. He is looking to sign on with a team as a free agent, but it could prove difficult. The Texans have spoken with Murphy, but it is unknown whether any team will accept the risks associated with signing him.

CFL | Thurman heads North
Wed, 17 May 2006 11:14:45 -0700

Ed Tait, of the Winnipeg Free Press, reports the Winnipeg Blue Bombers of the CFL have signed NFL free agent WR Andrae Thurman (Packers).

jack's smirking revenge
05-17-2006, 01:49 PM
Good luck to Muphy. I think he should just hang up his cleats rather than risk further injury.

But, what jolted me even more? This was reported by Megan Manfull. Manfull? You've GOT TO BE kidding me. If that's her pseudonym, then there's gotta be a great story behind it. If it's her real name, oh my...

tyler

Partial
05-17-2006, 05:32 PM
i agree, invest his severage package, get a degree, and live a life of luxury off his interest and salary.

MJZiggy
05-17-2006, 05:40 PM
I'm with you Partial. If he wants to stay in football, he can always see if he's cut out to be a coach. Otherwise I can't see him taking the risk. If he does take it, I sincerely wish him the best (unless he's playing against us in which case I hope he has an off game). I respect TT's decision here, and I also respect Murphy's choice as it is his risk to take.

BooHoo
05-17-2006, 08:48 PM
I'm with you Partial. If he wants to stay in football, he can always see if he's cut out to be a coach. Otherwise I can't see him taking the risk. If he does take it, I sincerely wish him the best (unless he's playing against us in which case I hope he has an off game). I respect TT's decision here, and I also respect Murphy's choice as it is his risk to take.

Murphy must have heard a different medical report than TT.

Tarlam!
05-18-2006, 01:42 AM
Murphy must have heard a different medical report than TT.

Boo, they had at least a dozen experts examine Murphy over this and injury could not be ruled out. They all varied in their progognosis, but the underlying feature was there ideed is a risk.

TT did not wanna take any risks. My hat's off to TT on this and I wish Murphy a prosperous life.

K-town
05-18-2006, 06:43 PM
Former Bengals TE Ross dead at 49
Posted: Wednesday May 17, 2006 12:09PM; Updated: Wednesday May 17, 2006 12:09PM
HAVERHILL, Mass. (AP) -- Dan Ross, who set a record for the most receptions in a Super Bowl while playing for the Cincinnati Bengals, has died. He was 49.

Ross collapsed at his home in Atkinson, N.H., shortly after returning from a jog Tuesday evening. He was taken to Merrimack Valley Hospital in Haverhill, where he died, the Boston Herald reported Wednesday, citing a family member.

Cincinnati took Ross with the 30th pick overall in the 1979 draft and he spent parts of six seasons with the Bengals. His best season came in 1981 when he set career highs with 71 catches, 910 yards and five touchdowns while helping the Bengals to their first AFC championship.

Ross made a Super Bowl-record 11 catches for 104 yards and two touchdowns in the Bengals' 26-21 loss to the San Francisco 49ers in Super Bowl XVI. Jerry Rice and Deion Branch have since tied the mark.

Ross had a total 263 receptions for 3,204 yards and 16 TDs with the Bengals. He also played for the Seattle Seahawks and finished his career in 1986 with the Green Bay Packers. Ross played in the USFL for the New Orleans/Portland Breakers from 1984-85.

A 1979 graduate of Northeastern, Ross still holds the school record for receptions in a season with 68 and is second on the school's all-time list in both career receptions and receiving yards.

He was elected to the College Hall of Fame in 2004.

I remember his big game against Frisco in the Super Bowl, and thought he was going to be a good player for us. But we were such a train wreck in 1986 that nobody was going to look good.

MadtownPacker
05-18-2006, 08:46 PM
Not hard to feel Murphy's pain. He went from catching passes from Favre and a bright future in the NFL to the life of a commoner like all us of.

He should just move on but I guess he needs to find out for sure.

Pack0514
05-19-2006, 08:36 AM
Saints | J. Jones signed
Thu, 18 May 2006 16:55:47 -0700

NewOrleansSaints.com reports the New Orleans Saints have signed street free agent WR Jamal Jones (Packers).

chain_gang
05-19-2006, 08:55 AM
heres another one from kffl

Rams | Team still talking with G. Jackson
Fri, 19 May 2006 06:39:05 -0700

Bill Coates, of the St. Louis Post-Dispatch, reports the St. Louis Rams are still holding discussions with free agent DT Grady Jackson (Packers).

Harlan Huckleby
05-19-2006, 10:00 AM
Murphy was a second round pic, did he get a million dollars or so for first year? Probably less than that.

I am surprised that Houston is going to let him practice.

Fritz
05-19-2006, 10:37 AM
It's a damn tough business, isn't it? Roger Daltrey was hopin' to die before he got old, but he's still around strutting like a teenager. Yet ex-football players in their forties and fifties are dropping like flies. Guys like Lyle Alzado, for example. Ugly business.

MadtownPacker
05-19-2006, 12:04 PM
It's a damn tough business, isn't it? Roger Daltrey was hopin' to die before he got old, but he's still around strutting like a teenager. Yet ex-football players in their forties and fifties are dropping like flies. Guys like Lyle Alzado, for example. Ugly business.
Hey maybe all the Favre haters will get their wish and he will drop dead on the 50. Knowing him it will be after launching a prayer for a TD. Thats self absorbed SOB.