PDA

View Full Version : Rams post-game thoughts

swede
12-16-2007, 09:28 PM
First, I have to hand it to the Rams...they had nothing to play for except honor, pride, and dignity and they battled the whole game.

33-14 sound like an ass-kicking but it was just taking care of business against a team that still had enough class to play hard at the end of a bad season. No big injuries--that's good.

There was a lot of talk during the TV broadcast of how Packers were arm tackling and grabbing. But Stephen Jackson was a beast today, as Hurley Fan sagely predicted he'd be, and any defender that couldn't hit him smack-ass square would just bounce off the dude.

Speaking of bad tackling, Poppy's whiff on a potential safety-producing tackle was kind of disgusting. It doesn't say much for Brady PeePee's football instincts if he acts surprised to find a running back at the line of scrimmage.

Anybody know Bulger well-enough to explain that look on his face? Every time he came off the field he looked like a kid does when he is the only good player on a sucky team. He throws a great ball but he doesn't seem like a great leader. And I agree with Fritz Don't Blitz about the guy ducking his head on every sack. I think Barnett got his hand inside the guy's helmet at one point when Nick was aiming for his waist.

Part of me says this was a disappointing win that wasn't as dominating as it should have been. And Brett's two long picks were reminiscent of the game in Dallas.

But I think it is better to say that the team found a way to win against a team that is nowhere near as bad as its record seems to indicate. Dallas had trouble doing that with the Eagles, and they were playing at home.

The next challenge is to beat Chicago, in what will undoubtedly be a very physical game, without getting anyone injured going into January. Let's keep the pressure on Dallas!

PlantPage55
12-16-2007, 09:32 PM
Anybody know Bulger well-enough to explain that look on his face? Every time he came off the field he looked like a kid does when he is the only good player on a sucky team.

Oh, I've seen that one before! I call it....the Peyton!

swede
12-16-2007, 09:34 PM
Anybody know Bulger well-enough to explain that look on his face? Every time he came off the field he looked like a kid does when he is the only good player on a sucky team.

Oh, I've seen that one before! I call it....the Peyton!

:lol:

Deputy Nutz
12-16-2007, 09:46 PM
I find it ridiculous to call this a disappointing win. You wouldn't be saying that last year. You could call it sloppy, but disappointing, crazy.

4and12to12and4
12-16-2007, 09:48 PM
My wife and I were laughing as I rewound that about 6 times, and if he doesn't just sit down, he makes Barnett pull one of those flybys we came accustomed to seeing him do. He won't be sacking Romo with that crap, that's for sure. But, good insight, it was a weird game. We kind of kicked there ass as far as the score, but while watching the game, it seemed like their offense was on the field 70% of the time, and if not for the turnovers, who knows. Jackson was running pissed off today. My lord, we've got a very reliable team in terms of wrapping up guys and reducing YAC and running plays, but, he was making EVERYONE on our defense look slow and weak. When you look at their offense, you wonder why they aren't a better team. Is is the defense, or injuries, or their lines? Or is their QB, like you said, just not a good leader or a "winner". I can't believe I'm so spoiled this year already that today's victory didn't have me jumping up and down. What a fickle fan. To even expect to be 12-2 is sick. I probably would have bet every dime I have and my business that we wouldn't be 12-2, that's how ungodly crazy this is. NOONE expected this, even Favre doesn't believe it. But, that's what's great about it. He's got the experience to keep calm about it all, he's seen it all, and that's why I think we are actually the favorite going into the postseason, Favre with all this young talent and great offensive scheming is going to be fun to watch.

RashanGary
12-16-2007, 09:53 PM
Jackson is a BEAST and he looked 100% healthy today. He's the best back we've played all year IMO. We played LT And LJ and I think Jackson is tougher to tackle than either of them and just as fast.

4and12to12and4
12-16-2007, 09:59 PM
Jackson is a BEAST and he looked 100% healthy today. He's the best back we've played all year IMO. We played LT And LJ and I think Jackson is tougher to tackle than either of them and just as fast.

I think you're right there. LT was is phenominal, but Jackson is much stronger. What's scary is that Adrian Peterson is probably the best back we've played against, because he seems faster than Jackson, yet just as strong, but Jackson ran harder than Peterson, and we stacked the line against Minny, cuz their passing game sucked in the games we played 'em.

FritzDontBlitz
12-16-2007, 10:17 PM
Jackson is a huge back with breakaway speed. He made some great cuts earlier in the game and killed the defense until they learned to stay at home on the backside. Once they stopped overpursuing they were able to minimize his effectiveness.

I believe there's a serious lack of discipline behind St. Louis' crappy won/loss record. They positively lost it late in the game: two unsportsmanlike conduct penalties in a row, one for the sidelines antics of Jim Haslett I suspect. I am wondering if he is letting Scott Linehan lead the team, or is he undermining him in some way.

gbpackfan
12-16-2007, 10:23 PM
Diappointing win? That doesn't even make sense. Some of you need to start enjoying this season instead of looking for reasons not to.

4and12to12and4
12-16-2007, 10:27 PM
Diappointing win? That doesn't even make sense. Some of you need to start enjoying this season instead of looking for reasons not to.

:cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: You have never been righter. :?:

Badgerinmaine
12-16-2007, 10:34 PM
GBPack Fan's right--how cool is being 12-2?
That said, I'd agree with the props for the Rams, especially considering how many people in their own building were rooting for Green Bay. Jackson is as good at taking people head-on as anyone I've seen--it reminded me of how Earl Campbell could do that decades ago for the Oilers.

HarveyWallbangers
12-16-2007, 10:36 PM
Steven Jackson has been one of the three best RBs in the NFL for about 2-3 years. He's awesome. If he stays healthy, he'll be a Hall of Famer. A real game changer. I really don't think there are that many game changers in the NFL at RB, but Jackson, LT, and Adrian Peterson are at the top.

oregonpackfan
12-17-2007, 12:15 AM
Some of my thoughts of the game:

1. The Packers defense was just so-so in the first half. At one point, the game was tied at 14 with Bulger moving the team for another touchdown. His accurate pass bounced off a receiver's hands right to Bigby. The Packers converted the turnover to go into halftime at just 17-14. Had not that turnover taken place, the Packers could have been down 21-14 at half.

2. At times Favre looked great and other times he reverted to boneheaded passes. He completed his first 9 passes to 8 different receivers. His two interceptions where long passes where the ball was thrown up for grabbs. On a crucial third and 1, he threw long and missed the receiver. At the same time, he had a receiver open in the flat. McCarthy gave him an earful for that.

3. Barnett had a great game with 13 tackles, including 2 sacks. He was particularly effective in the first half. I thought all 3 linebackers played well. Poppinga had that terrible missed tackle at the Rams' goal line but he had other good plays.

4. Koren Robinson had two outstanding kickoff returns. They gave the Packers great field position.

5. Mason Crosby had his finest game as a kicker. He made all 4 field goal attempts. For kickoffs, I think all of them reached the goal line. I counted 2 touchbacks.

6. It was highly fitting that Donald Driver catch Favre's pass to break Marino's record for most passing yards. Driver also had a great run after catching a pass earlier in the game.

7. The Packers had difficulty stopping Jackson. He is just a rare speciman of power, speed, and moves. Most good teams would have trouble containing him.

Overall, it was a very good team effort and an important road win to gain the playoff bye.

FritzDontBlitz
12-17-2007, 12:34 AM

Well said.

outflow
12-17-2007, 06:15 AM
disappointing win? :lol:

I have the same thoughts as Vandermause. I defintely think this win is one of the more impressive ones.

It just shows the depth of ways the Packers can win. This win now gives the teams in the playoffs added reason to look at our whole team.

My other post game thought was this. During many times of this season alot of emphasis from the media types was that Favre no longer had friends on this team. Watching that Jennings play, and the strong connection he obviously has with Driver I would say that is way overblown. He seems to be about as in touch/silent communication with these receivers that may start to rival that of the Super Bowl years.

achillies heel remains the short game. But, with a couple of games left in the regular season I have a sneaking suspicion that M3 will just use that as motivation.

SkinBasket
12-17-2007, 07:21 AM
1. The Packers defense was just so-so in the first half. At one point, the game was tied at 14 with Bulger moving the team for another touchdown. His accurate pass bounced off a receiver's hands right to Bigby. The Packers converted the turnover to go into halftime at just 17-14. Had not that turnover taken place, the Packers could have been down 21-14 at half.

Yeah, the only reason Bigby got the 1st INT was because he was so late in reacting and closing on the WR. The WR makes that catch and he doesn't have to do much to get around ol' Atari and into the endzone.

Who knows, maybe he'll become the master of being in the wrong place at the right time to make good things happen

swede
12-17-2007, 07:23 AM
Part of me says this was a disappointing win that wasn't as dominating as it should have been. And Brett's two long picks were reminiscent of the game in Dallas.

But I think it is better to say that the team found a way to win against a team that is nowhere near as bad as its record seems to indicate.

Stop calling it a disappointing win, swede! :?

Given the 33-14 score I suppose I could pretend this was the ass-kicking I predicted it would be. But it honestly wasn't. Taking a step back, I think St. Louis desperately wanted to win to show themselves that they are better than their record and that a team like Green Bay had better not take them lightly.

That is why this is what is known as a "trap" game. All the emotional ammunition has gone to the underdog. Look at what happened to Dallas against the Eagles. Dallas was cruising along in their season, and it is hard to shift out of that cool, controlled game and match up against a team that is scratching, biting, and flying around like crazy.

Green Bay was faced with the same kind of problem and won. So the little part of me that wanted to be disappointed is fired and has to clean the basement next week while the rest of me watches the Bear game.

Guiness
12-17-2007, 07:35 AM
Yeah, the only reason Bigby got the 1st INT was because he was so late in reacting and closing on the WR. The WR makes that catch and he doesn't have to do much to get around ol' Atari and into the endzone.

Who knows, maybe he'll become the master of being in the wrong place at the right time to make good things happen

Don't say that! I remember a certain rookie safety who had a boatload of INT's and it took the Pack a while to figure out he essentially just got lucky.

I don't think Atari's like that. I don't think he's going to be a barn burner, but I think he can be solid, and contribute with an occasional big play. And he does blow people up, which is nice...

swede
12-17-2007, 07:51 AM

Don't say that! I remember a certain rookie safety who had a boatload of INT's and it took the Pack a while to figure out he essentially just got lucky.

I don't think Atari's like that. I don't think he's going to be a barn burner, but I think he can be solid, and contribute with an occasional big play. And he does blow people up, which is nice...

I had the same thought yesterday, that Bigby was a little Sharper-like in his tendency to get noticed for making plays and getting burned in the same game.

Splashy players like that often do go the free-agent route and get paid a lot somewhere else eventually. But as long as he is here, and as long as he has the good attitude he has displayed thus far, I plan on enjoying the kid because I like the way he gets you out of your chair.

I think it was Fritz that referred to Packer D-backs prior to the Woodson era as "grab them and hang on until they fall down" tacklers. It's way more fun to see the occasional blow-up hit out of the defensive backfield.

MJZiggy
12-17-2007, 08:23 AM
My thoughts on the game: Holy crap, we won. AGAIN!! I don't care how or why or by what twist of accidental fate it might have happened, as long as it continues.

dissident94
12-17-2007, 12:25 PM
It was obvious to all people who watched the game that we did not have our A game yesterday. I am not dissapointed because St. Louis is a good team and it was an away game at a dome. So a good win. But we did not play well in many aspects of the game. We did not run the ball well. Our passing game was not clicking. Our tackling was suspect.

It is ok to point out some flaws. It doesn' mean we didn't enjoy the win. I had a lot of fun watching it yesterday, but we did not play very well.

Freak Out
12-17-2007, 01:18 PM
I read in one of the beat writers stories that Collins was replaced by Rouse in the second half because of an injury and am curious what affect had on the D this week? Unfortunately the Seachickens game was shown up here.....

HarveyWallbangers
12-17-2007, 01:45 PM

I had the same thought yesterday, that Bigby was a little Sharper-like in his tendency to get noticed for making plays and getting burned in the same game.

I'm wondering if he was talking about Marques Anderson?

Jerry Tagge
12-17-2007, 02:10 PM
GBPack Fan's right--how cool is being 12-2?

Real cool!

Bossman641
12-17-2007, 02:26 PM

I'm wondering if he was talking about Marques Anderson?

I was thinking the same exact thing.

Anderson was the king of getting big plays and then getting burned.