PDA

View Full Version : Poll: Who DON'T you want to see the Packers play first?

Badgerinmaine
12-17-2007, 08:57 AM
Now that the playoff picture is sorting out...which of these teams do you hope the Packers avoid in their first playoff game?

Carolina_Packer
12-17-2007, 09:32 AM
Ever since we shellacked them 34-0 at home, the Vikings have a fire under their team, and seem to have found a style that allows them to win. What do you do if your pass defense isn't that great? Why, bring pressure of course! Good move. Their D-line was already tough, but they have emphasized pressure more, so instead of reading and reacting, they are the agressor more.

On offense, Tarvarous Jackson seems to have found a bit of comfort level and is doing what he is capable of, and the Vikes are certainly leaning on their two-headed monster at running back. I posted after one of the previous Viking games (since we have a friendly Vike fan here) that I didn't think the Vikings were that bad, and that if they could get some efficient QB play and let their running game get the lion's share of the offense, they already had the stout defense to stop the run; they just needed a way to be a better pass defense. It looks like their pressure has been able to accomplish that too.

That said, I don't know if the Vikes would do well coming back to Lambeau, but I doubt it would be 34-0. We obviously miss Johnny Jolly, and are not ready to get big time production from Justin Harrell.

The Leaper
12-17-2007, 09:54 AM
I'll go with the Bucs.

The Vikings simply don't match up with us very well. Their run defense is basically meaningless against our short passing attack. Their offense is too one dimensional, and our defense is capable of taking a RB out of the game if that is their entire focus.

The Seahawks can't run the ball. In a game in Lambeau in January, I'll take Favre and the Packer offense over the Seahawk offense. However, Holmgren's familiarity with Green Bay is certainly cause for worry. They would probably be #2 on my list.

The Giants? They are done IMO after losing Shockey and getting embarrassed yet again by a playoff contending team. They have all the signs of a team about to implode.

The Saints? They seem to me to be a carbon copy of the Seahawks at this point. Again, in January at Lambeau, you have to feel good about Favre over Brees.

The Bucs have the defense that could create a lot of turnovers and an offense capable of making enough plays to keep it a game. They are the biggest match-up problem IMO facing Green Bay or Dallas this postseason.

ahaha
12-17-2007, 10:17 AM
I would love to see the Vikes in the first round. We need revenge for the playoff loss three years ago.
I live in St. Paul, and I'm sick of these bandwagon fans talking shit about how much better the Vikings are, how nobody wants to play them in the playoffs, and how hard it is to beat a team three times in a season. F*%k That! We'll do it to them like we did it to Tampa in '97.

Carolina_Packer
12-17-2007, 10:36 AM
I assume you meant our first game and not the first round, since the Pack has earned a bye. The revenge factor would not be the same, since we wouldn't be playing at the Metro Muffin. I think what made that WC game hurt more was the fact that it was at Lambeau.

Does anyone have a link to a playoff bracket to show what the match-ups would be by seedings?

Jerry Tagge
12-17-2007, 10:42 AM
I don't want to see the 49ers. Oh wait, they're not going anywhere. OK, I don't want to see the Rams. No, they're staying home too. Well then, I don't want to see the Falcons. Aw, forget it, they're not even a football team.

There isn't any team I don't want to see in Lambeau in January.

There is one team I do want to see in Lambeau Field on January 20, 2008.

Dallas Cowboys.

Jerry Tagge
12-17-2007, 10:45 AM
I assume you meant our first game and not the first round, since the Pack has earned a bye. The revenge factor would not be the same, since we wouldn't be playing at the Metro Muffin. I think what made that WC game hurt more was the fact that it was at Lambeau.

Does anyone have a link to a playoff bracket to show what the match-ups would be by seedings?
That won't be determined until the playoff picture is finalized.

Right now the Packers would play either #3, 4, or 5 seed in the divisional playoffs because the Packers are #2. Packers can't play #6 seed should they upset #3 because the lowest seed would play at #1 seed in the divisional round.

However, if the Packers win out and Dallas stumbles either at Carolina or at Washington, everything goes through Lambeau Field. In that case the Packers couldn't play #3 seed in the divisional round.

I hope I've cleared it up for you. :mrgreen:

MadtownPacker
12-17-2007, 10:50 AM
There isn't any team I don't want to see in Lambeau in January.

There is one team I do want to see in Lambeau Field on January 20, 2008.

Dallas Cowboys.That's what Im saying too!!

Man, all this viking fear is sickening. Who the hell are they??

Man I hope the punkass cowboys blow one of these two games left.

Joemailman
12-17-2007, 10:56 AM
I voted Vikings because they are hot, and because they can run the ball better than anyone right now. Really though, none of these teams scare me. Seahawks can't run the ball, and Favre would torch he Giants or Saints. Tampa Bay I haven't seen enough to really comment on. The big question with the Vikings is whether they can offer enough of a passing threat to prevent teams from playing 8 defenders at the line.

BallHawk
12-17-2007, 11:14 AM
Seriously, I'm the only vote for Seattle? Seattle easily gives us the biggest run for our money. Hasselbeck is a top 5 QB and they put up points. Their defense gives up the 5th least amount of points at 17 points per game. If you look at their schedule they're as fluky as hell, but they're the type of team that can put up points on offense and hold us to a relatively low amount of points on defense.

The Vikes are hot, but I think we just match up too well with them.

The Bucs are a great defense, but I don't think they have the offense to put up enough points to win against us.

I wouldn't want to, hypothetically, play the Redskins. They'd give us a run for your money. The Saints we could beat.

I'd love to play the Giants. Shockey is out for the season, Manning will crumble under the pressure, their defense would be torched by our offense.

From now until January 11th/12th, I'm a Giant fan.

The Leaper
12-17-2007, 11:19 AM
Seriously, I'm the only vote for Seattle? Seattle easily gives us the biggest run for our money. Hasselbeck is a top 5 QB and they put up points. Their defense gives up the 5th least amount of points at 17 points per game. If you look at their schedule they're as fluky as hell, but they're the type of team that can put up points on offense and hold us to a relatively low amount of points on defense.

They can't run the ball...and they aren't really battle tested this season. Their OL isn't good at all...run or pass blocking. They've posted monster games against mediocre defenses. They wouldn't get much against our defense.

The only teams that scare me have an aggressive, turnover-producing defense. That isn't Seattle.

The only team with more than 6 wins that Seattle has beaten at this point is the Bucs...way back in week #1. The 3 other teams they have faced with .500 or better records? 0-3...including a shutout loss to the Steelers and a bad home loss to New Orleans when the Saints were 0-4.

gbgary
12-17-2007, 11:56 AM
none of those teams concern me. it's all about the 'boys and our approach to them. run our normal offense with less (or no) five-wide-out/empty back-field formations, be a little more aggressive on the D as romo is human when he's under pressure. one dallas d-back said after the Packers game that the plan was when the five wide-out formation showed they were gonna blitz and they were told to ignore Brett's pump fakes.

mngolf19
12-17-2007, 12:44 PM
Giants are not going to make the playoffs. Losing Shockey was the last straw. So you don't need to worry about them. It will likely be MN and either Wash or NO as wild cards. I'm guessing NO.

BF4MVP
12-17-2007, 01:05 PM
I didn't vote..I'm not scared of any of those teams coming to Lambeau, and fully expect the Pack to take care of business no matter who it is.

LL2
12-17-2007, 01:06 PM
I didn't vote..I'm not scared of any of those teams coming to Lambeau, and fully expect the Pack to take care of business no matter who it is.

That's what I like to read. No fear!

Brohm
12-17-2007, 01:13 PM
Pretty much feel the same way. Only team which gives me pause is Tampa with their defense.

Badgerinmaine
12-17-2007, 01:53 PM
I assume you meant our first game and not the first round, since the Pack has earned a bye.
Yes, and that's why I said "first game" and not "first round".
(edit) Oh. You weren't talking to me.
"Never mind!" :oops:

Badgerinmaine
12-17-2007, 02:02 PM
To amplify what's posted above, here is how the brackets would work:
Seeds 1-4 are division winners; 5 and 6 wild cards

First round: 1 and 2 (will be GB and Dallas in some order) hae a bye; 6 plays at 3, 5 plays at 4

Second round: Lowest remaining seed plays at #1
The other remaining team plays at #2
Conf. championship: Highest remaining seed hosts the other remaining team

If the season ended today, this would mean the first round would be

1 Dallas bye
2 GB bye
6 Minnesota at 3 Seattle
5 NY Giants at 4 Tampa Bay

CBS Sportsline has a nice link for following the playoff race:
http://www.sportsline.com/nfl/standings/playoffrace

mmmdk
12-17-2007, 02:12 PM
I voted Vikings 'cos they're playing great and it is hard to beat a team 3 times in a season. Bucs is a close second though; their D could kill our O even on a cold day. Bring on Eli :lol:

FritzDontBlitz
12-17-2007, 02:43 PM
None of the above.

As long as the 2007 Packers show up to play, I don't care who the opponent is.

Carolina_Packer
12-17-2007, 03:31 PM
I assume you meant our first game and not the first round, since the Pack has earned a bye.
Yes, and that's why I said "first game" and not "first round".
(edit) Oh. You weren't talking to me.
"Never mind!" :oops:

Yeah, should have quoted, my bad! How's the weather in Maine? How was the Nor'Easter?

OS PA
12-17-2007, 03:57 PM
I don't want the Packers to play the Seahawks.

The Hawks have the talent to go four deep.
They have an ex-MVP runningback who has the ability to break out any game.
They have a Superbowl winning coach.
They have a top five QB.
and they play in cold weather.

They scare me.

Brando19
12-17-2007, 05:12 PM
The Vikings don't scare me...we own them...anyone owns them when they shut down the running game. The Giants flat out suck. Eli Manning couldn't carry a team with a dump truck. The Seahawks are a scary team, but Carolina showed they can be beat. The Bucs are a very, very scary team. Garcia is an animal, and they have shown they can win without Garcia. This team is on a mission and are killing their opponents. We don't want the Seahawks or Bucs. ( I voted Tampa Bay)

woodbuck27
12-17-2007, 05:23 PM
I voted Vikings.

I will never forget the last time they dusted us in the playoff's.

They'll turn it up if they face us.

Going down again to OUR major rival (now - and again) isn't anything I even want to consider.

LL2
12-17-2007, 06:18 PM

First round: 1 and 2 (will be GB and Dallas in some order) hae a bye; 6 plays at 3, 5 plays at 4

1 Dallas bye
2 GB bye
6 Minnesota at 3 Seattle

CBS Sportsline has a nice link for following the playoff race:
http://www.sportsline.com/nfl/standings/playoffrace

In this scenario we would not play the Vikings unless they knock off Dallas. In that case I would love to have the Vikings at Lambeau Field.

If the Pack get a repeat with the Patriots in the SB that doesn't scare me as much anymore either. The Patriots are not looking as invincable as they were the first half of the season.

Badgerinmaine
12-17-2007, 06:41 PM
Yeah, should have quoted, my bad! How's the weather in Maine? How was the Nor'Easter?
We got the game here--so it was a great day to stay indoors and watch :) it was pretty nasty all day--snow followed by freezing rain and sleet, and one of our colder days of the year. It was 5 degrees out when we went to church in the morning...but the worst part was the high wind which kept up today.--very low wind chill. Still, having gone to grad school in Minneapolis, being there makes Maine look like Florida. :)
uh, oh, looks like I've :jack:
Wait, I've got it.
I'd love it if the Packers get to play the Cowboys at Lambeau this January in weather like we had yesterday. :mrgreen:

Badgerinmaine
12-17-2007, 06:45 PM

1 Dallas bye
2 GB bye
6 Minnesota at 3 Seattle
[/url]

In this scenario we would not play the Vikings unless they knock off Dallas. In that case I would love to have the Vikings at Lambeau Field.

In the scenario above, that would mean a Packers-Vikings game for the NFC title. GB can still finish as the #1, and for that matter the Vikings could get the #5 spot--so if the standings shift, the Pack could get the Vikings in their first game.

Lurker64
12-17-2007, 06:51 PM
In the scenario above, that would mean a Packers-Vikings game for the NFC title. GB can still finish as the #1, and for that matter the Vikings could get the #5 spot--so if the standings shift, the Pack could get the Vikings in their first game.

Facing the Vikings in the first round would require both wildcard teams winning in the first round. I can't remember the last time that happened, but it's certainly not common.

Deputy Nutz
12-17-2007, 07:03 PM
Vikings? In there big run who the fuck have they played? Seriously.

Lurker64
12-17-2007, 07:05 PM

Hey, they played the Packers twice AND the Cowboys... They've seen the best teams in the NFC as much as just about anybody...

Deputy Nutz
12-17-2007, 07:14 PM

Hey, they played the Packers twice AND the Cowboys... They've seen the best teams in the NFC as much as just about anybody...

Who have they played during their victory run???? Not who have they played and lost to.

Jimx29
12-17-2007, 07:48 PM
It doesn't matter who we play. they could throw the Lakeland Dental Academy at us and we'd kick there asses 10 ways till Sunday :)

Carolina_Packer
12-17-2007, 08:33 PM
It doesn't matter who we play. they could throw the Lakeland Dental Academy at us and we'd kick there asses 10 ways till Sunday :)

Don't under-estimate the Molars! Or are they the Incisors? Hell, they could be Canines...this joke bites!

Badgerinmaine
12-18-2007, 09:04 AM

Don't under-estimate the Molars! Or are they the Incisors? Hell, they could be Canines...this joke bites!
Brace yourself--They're the Fightin' Orthodontists, with colors of dental coat white and blood red. Motto: "You're gonna PAY!"

8-)

3irty1
12-18-2007, 04:50 PM
The Vikings are overrated on both offense and defense. There is absolutely no reason to believe we wouldn't beat them by double digits.

I voted for the Saints.

esoxx
12-18-2007, 05:49 PM
Stay away Vikings. :evil:

Bretsky
12-18-2007, 08:42 PM
Stay away Vikings. :evil:

On the other hand I'd be walking on water if we played them in the NFC Title Game

Badgerinmaine
12-19-2007, 07:45 AM
On the other hand I'd be walking on water if we played them in the NFC Title Game
Shouldn't be too hard to do in Fort Atkinson in January :P

3irty1
12-19-2007, 07:53 AM
I can't believe how many of you voted for the Vikings... this reminds me of earlier in the year when everyone thought the Lions were a real team.

Zool
12-19-2007, 08:53 AM
I voted for the Vikings because I hope they dont get to the playoffs. No offense Ras, but the bandwagon over here is getting out of control. Wilf could have sold the team in week 8 and it would barely have made a blip on the radar.

Now all the sudden everything is purple again. That shit drives me insane.

Cheesehead Craig
12-19-2007, 10:00 AM
Don't care who we play. We match up great against any team out there. The only thing that's stopped us this year is ourselves.