PDA

View Full Version : NFL suspends Cowboys S Roy Williams

packers11
12-17-2007, 07:11 PM
NFL suspended Cowboys S Roy Williams one game without pay for horse collaring Donovan McNabb in Sunday's loss to the Eagles.

He's committed three horse collar penalties this season and four in the last two years. Williams is expected to appeal the suspension, according to ESPN. The fine will cost him only about $37,000. The Cowboys will need Williams on Saturday night at Carolina because they may already be down injured backup S Pat Watkins. He could delay the suspension until Week 17.

Source: Fort Worth Star-Telegram

Lurker64
12-17-2007, 07:16 PM
If they delay the suspension until week 17, the Redskins will have a better shot at the Cowboys. I'm happy with that.

Really, I hope the Cowboys lose to both the Panthers and the Redskins, but I'll settle for just one loss.

Freak Out
12-17-2007, 07:17 PM
Wow.....I thought he might get a huge fine but suspended? Oh well...it is a wussy way to tackle.

FritzDontBlitz
12-17-2007, 07:22 PM
If he delays the suspension one week so it takes effect the week they play a division rival he's a fool.

MJZiggy
12-17-2007, 07:38 PM
But if they don't have a backup this week and delaying it gets them a serviceable backup when he's out, that might be why they're bothering, cause it was a pretty clear-cut penalty.

Joemailman
12-17-2007, 07:47 PM
This is a tough call. On one hand, it would maker sense to appeal just based on the hope that you could get the league to settle for a hefty fine instead of a suspension.

On the other hand, Washington is a better offensive team than Carolina, so he may be needed more against Washington. I think they will appeal and hope the Packers slip up against the Bears.

vince
12-17-2007, 07:51 PM
I heard on ESPN that the appeal will be heard tomorrow, so I'd guess they'll rule on it this week yet. Because he's already been fined four times for this same infraction, I think he might as well plan on sitting against Carolina.

Edit: I guess I should have read the original article a little closer. It says he has the option of which week to sit out? That's surprising...

RashanGary
12-17-2007, 07:53 PM
Good to hear.

gbgary
12-17-2007, 08:00 PM
the 'boys won't miss him much. the joke here is he HAS to tackle that way because he's ALWAYS chasing someone who got by him. one thing in dallas' favor is he won't be taken advantage of in the pass defense if he isn't there. other than the Packers, teams were/are passing to the who ever he was covering.

Partial
12-17-2007, 11:42 PM
He's not even that good. They really overpayed for him and matching him with Hamlin is not a wise move imo

CaliforniaCheez
12-17-2007, 11:51 PM
the guy is a jerk who cannot legitimatel tackle so he does his cheap stuff landing on guys legs.

The tackling by grabbing the shoulder pads from behind should not be illegal. When chasing down a player from behind it is one of the few handholds. There were very few injuries until cheapshot gutless punk Roy Williams started his crap.

He has many times ducked tackling from the front to hang on the pads and fall on the opposing players legs.

Once that SOB is out of the league the garsping of shoulder pads to tackle should be re-legalized. One criminal wrecks it for the league and makes for more records being broken because tackling is illegal.

Each subsequent suspension for this idiot should be doubled for each offence. He has been warned many times. 2, 4, 8, and then 16 games.

This Roy Williams has been very bad for the NFL. I hope he earns a lifetime ban.

There is nothing wrong with the "horsecollar tackle", only the way Roy Williams does it in cheapshot fashion.

BF4MVP
12-17-2007, 11:54 PM
Anything to help Carolina or Washington

PaCkFan_n_MD
12-18-2007, 08:40 AM
Good, that was a bitch tackle on McNabb.

OS PA
12-18-2007, 09:29 AM
I find it funny how this rule was put in place because of Roy Williams and his tackle on Terrell Owens two years ago. I'm pretty sure that he's the only player to get suspended for tackling in this way. Most players just get fines.

This is a prime example how some of the rules in the league are there for a reason. If instead of sliding under him, Mcnabb's foot had stuck in the ground and not moved, this probably would have ended his career.

There was another questionable hit in this game when Ken Hamlin launched head first at Matt Schobel's helmet after a catch. Schobel wasn't able to walk off the field under his own power after the concussion he suffered. I wouldn't be surprised to see Hamlin getting a massive fine as well.

I know a lot of fans complain that the fines and penalties on hard hits are unwarranted, because "this is a man's game and they should be allowed to play." But many of the tackling rules are in there to prevent serious injury. A horsecollar tackle is more than likely to blow up the offensive players knees, and a helmet to helmet tackle is more than likely to lead to a concussion or worse a broken neck. I for one am glad to see that the league is taking action when it should.

William's Hit
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9APM6mNVCVY

Hamlin's Hit
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i7-_E5hNuz0

packers11
12-18-2007, 09:35 AM
wow... Both are terrible hits...

Williams always does it... IT REALLY is starting to piss me off...

Hamlin isn't known as a cheap player, ill let that go, I don't think he meant to hit with his helmet but more with his shoulder...

MOST OVERRATED PLAYER EVER : ROY WILLIAMS... Guess I don't know anything though, hes going to the probowl again... :roll:

MJZiggy
12-18-2007, 09:41 AM
I just looked at the Hamlin hit again (thanks for the link) and I think the Philly bench was right. Even if he was trying to lead with the shoulder, he was leading right into his head and there was no attempt to wrap him up or anything. No matter how you slice it, that was a NASTY hit that intentional or not was led by the helmet. Should have been good for 15 yards.

Oscar
12-18-2007, 09:44 AM
I agree that Hamlin doesn't have a rep as a cheap player.I just watched the vid and it looked like he was going for his head all the way.I'm wrong more than right so who knows. I can't believe.. cheap shot or not.. that a flag wasn't thrown..

OS PA
12-18-2007, 09:46 AM
I agree that Hamlin doesn't have a rep as a cheap player.I just watched the vid and it looked like he was going for his head all the way.I'm wrong more than right so who knows. I can't believe.. cheap shot or not.. that a flag wasn't thrown..

Even if Hamlin isn't repped as a cheap player, it's still necessary to throw a flag in that situation. It looks like he initially led with his head, realized what he was doing, and turned his shoulder to try and make it less apparent, but still, when you aim to hit another play in the helmet with any part of your body it should be at least a 15 yard penalty. They're both lucky to be okay after a hit like that.

packers11
12-18-2007, 09:53 AM
I never said he didn't deserve a flag... I couldn't believe it didn't get thrown... Just saying in general, how Roy Williams is a repeated offender...

DID YOU SEE HIS REACTION AFTER??? Like he did nothing wrong...

OS PA
12-18-2007, 10:16 AM
On another note, It's going to be really interesting to see how the Cowboys play on Saturday. I'm guessing they'll sit their center Gurode, who went out of Sunday's game with a knee injury, and is still not practicing. Also, Romo has a beaten up thumb on his throwing hand, which isn't going to be 100% this week, or even probably next week. This on top of Roy Williams possibly missing this weeks game, and being down to their 4th safety, the Panthers really have a legitimate shot at beating them.

gbgary
12-18-2007, 01:30 PM
I find it funny how this rule was put in place because of Roy Williams and his tackle on Terrell Owens to years ago.

he injured someone else too but i can't remember who it was.

OS PA
12-18-2007, 01:34 PM
I find it funny how this rule was put in place because of Roy Williams and his tackle on Terrell Owens to years ago.

he injured someone else too but i can't remember who it was.

Maybe the suspension will get it through his thick skull?

woodbuck27
12-18-2007, 03:28 PM
NFL suspended Cowboys S Roy Williams one game without pay for horse collaring Donovan McNabb in Sunday's loss to the Eagles.

He's committed three horse collar penalties this season and four in the last two years. Williams is expected to appeal the suspension, according to ESPN. The fine will cost him only about $37,000. The Cowboys will need Williams on Saturday night at Carolina because they may already be down injured backup S Pat Watkins. He could delay the suspension until Week 17.

Source: Fort Worth Star-Telegram

I knew that was coming.

GREAT!! :)

gbgary
12-18-2007, 06:36 PM
http://images.usatoday.com/sports/_photos/2005/05/23/inside2-2005-05-23-smith.jpg

Baltimore RB Musa Smith's lower leg was broken on this "horse collar" tackle by Dallas safety Roy Williams.

ouch!!

CaliforniaCheez
12-18-2007, 07:02 PM
NFL Live on ESPN (consider the source) said since the rule was instituted 6 players have been injured from horse collar tackles. 4 of them by Roy Williams.

In my mind it solidifies my opinion in my earlier post. ROY Williams is bad for the NFL.

Joemailman
12-19-2007, 06:12 PM
http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/7583954?CMP=OTC-K9B140813162&ATT=5

NFL upholds suspension. Williams not getting any sympathy from teammate T.O.