12-18-2007, 05:09 PM
World food stocks dwindling rapidly, UN warns

http://www.iht.com/articles/2007/12/17/europe/food.php

Yeah, right.

http://s39.photobucket.com/albums/e177/overige/Mannen/th_obese_american.jpg

LL2
12-18-2007, 06:26 PM
That was funny!

On a serious note, it's not funny that there are still too many homeless people in this country that struggle to get a decent meal. You think about all the food that goes to waste at restaurants and at grocery stores that could feed these people.

Joemailman
12-18-2007, 07:08 PM
I don't get it. What's funny about dwindling food supplies needed for the third world where starvation really does happen?

Kiwon
12-18-2007, 08:20 PM
Why do you believe whatever the U.N. "experts" say? It's bogus.

Oh, what to do, what to do?

"Diouf blamed a confluence of recent supply and demand factors for the crisis, and he predicted that those factors were here to stay.

On the supply side, these include the early effects of global warming, which has decreased crop yields in some crucial places,
-- the omnipresent villian of global warming. These are the "early effects" They have already assumed what the later effects will be.

and a shift away from farming for human consumption toward crops for biofuels and cattle feed.-- the world-wide obesity problem and trend toward using food for fuel

Demand for grain is increasing with the world population,-- you are having too many babies, have more abortions

and more is diverted to feed cattle as the population of upwardly mobile meat-eaters grows.-- You brat-eating Packer fans are evil, vegans are saints

"We're concerned that we are facing the perfect storm for the world's hungry," said Josette Sheeran, executive director of the World Food Program, in a telephone interview. She said that her agency's food procurement costs had gone up 50 percent in the past 5 years and that some poor people are being "priced out of the food market."--Governments need to tax you fat slobs to get you to eat less and subsidize the cost of food for the starving of the world.

To make matters worse,-- the news can only be bad

high oil prices have doubled shipping costs in the past year, putting enormous stress on poor nations that need to import food as well as the humanitarian agencies that provide it."-- Stop being so selfish and using up the world's oil supply by driving your gas-guzzling cars, manufacturing so much and consuming more than your fair share.

Main message: It's YOUR FAULT that people are starving in the world!

Three points:
1. The Third World is always starving because most famines are man-made through corrupt and inefficient governments.
2. The best solution to alleviating the problem of hunger is democracy.
3. No other country in the world does more to supply food and medicine to the world's needy than the U.S.A.

Tyrone Bigguns
12-18-2007, 11:06 PM
A glimpse into your warped schema.

The horror... the horror..

hoosier
12-19-2007, 06:45 AM
I think someone isn't playing with a full deck here....

swede
12-19-2007, 07:55 AM
The amusing thing about liberals is that 98% of them don't do anything practical to assist the poor. That's why they are comfortable in speaking ignorantly about helping the poor.

We have friends--cal them compassionate conservatives--that literally risked their lives to go into Haiti to bring food, clothing, medical attention, and a helping hand.

They found an institutionalized governmental corruption underlaid with a pervasive system of civil corruption at the local level interlaced with parasitic con-men that received and kept every penny of the money sent to the poor people of Haiti by well-meaning Americans.

Plant nut trees? The government will cut them down and sell them before the village can bring in a harvest.

Plant a community garden? The local sheriff confiscates the produce to eat and sell.

Build a house for a friendly family? (one room cinder block no glass windows) Return next year to find one of the sheriff's men living inside claiming he "bought" it.

Send money to the "goat man" to give every family a goat? No goats! What a surprise? Only pictures of goats for the suckers back in the US--and a wealthy goat man in Haiti.

The UN resides here like a giant scolding parasite. Corruption abroad is keeping the people down, not big American cars. Sheesh.

the_idle_threat
12-19-2007, 08:26 AM
Swede and Kiwon have nailed this one. There is plenty of food and aid to feed all the hungry in the world, and perhaps even make them maybe a third as fat as the average American. But corrupt local leaders, whether they be political leaders or warlords, use starvation as a political tool---to maintain power. All the aid is seized by them sooner or later after it enters the country.

Global warming, crop yields, oil prices, fuel consumption, etc. have nothing to do with it.

Freak Out
12-19-2007, 11:26 AM
Global warming, crop yields, oil prices, fuel consumption, etc. have nothing to do with it.

That statement is so ludicrous it's laughable dude! Come on....
I agree that corruption and war/strife and so on...play a big role in why some people go hungry or starve in the world but there are many more factors that come into play in lots of places.

the_idle_threat
12-19-2007, 06:02 PM

I agree that corruption and war/strife and so on...play a big role in why some people go hungry or starve in the world but there are many more factors that come into play in lots of places.

You're entitled to your opinion, no matter how wrong it is. "Many more factors that come into play in lots of places" is so general that it's meaningless. Care to share an example of what you're referring to?

Global warming, oil prices, etc. might be problems in their own right (and I emphasize "might," because I believe they're way overhyped), but they're not the cause of mass starvation where it exists in the world. Whatever changes people want to claim in world temperature can't begin to reverse the enormous strides that have been made over the years in crop yields. I don't buy it. Agricultural science has improved crop yields so greatly over the decades that crop prices have gone down rather than up (in terms of real dollars) over the years due to the ever-increasing supply; this is why the government feels the need to offer farm subsidies to keep producers in business, and/or pays some farmers not to farm their fields.

There is plenty of food, and if we're worried about dwindling supply raising prices in one season, the shortfall will be fixed the next season since there is so much slack in producing capacity.

The problem is getting food to the hungry, as is addressed above.

Freak Out
12-19-2007, 06:53 PM

You're entitled to your opinion, no matter how wrong it is. "Many more factors that come into play in lots of places" is so general that it's meaningless. Care to share an example of what you're referring to?

Global warming, oil prices, etc. might be problems in their own right (and I emphasize "might," because I believe they're way overhyped), but they're not the cause of mass starvation where it exists in the world. Whatever changes people want to claim in world temperature can't begin to reverse the enormous strides that have been made over the years in crop yields. I don't buy it. Agricultural science has improved crop yields so greatly over the decades that crop prices have gone down rather than up (in terms of real dollars) over the years due to the ever-increasing supply; this is why the government feels the need to offer farm subsidies to keep producers in business, and/or pays some farmers not to farm their fields.

There is plenty of food, and if we're worried about dwindling supply raising prices in one season, the shortfall will be fixed the next season since there is so much slack in producing capacity.

The problem is getting food to the hungry, as is addressed above.

Crop yields have gone way up if you can buy the seed, fertilizer and materials needed to make it happen but there are people in the world today that are still subsistence farmers and there are many factors that determine whether or not they can grow enough food to survive and weather is a big factor....global warming or not. I know its hard to believe for some but not everyone on the planet can drive down to the Safeway when they are hungry and whip out the visa card or food stamps to load up on fucking ding dongs.
...and getting food to the people that really need it is much easier said than done...and oil prices "might" be a factor? are we still in the age of sail here? How are things transported around the planet? Telekinesis? There may be plenty of food but most of the entities that control it aren't going to give it away....someone has to pay for it.
Developed countries have stable infrastructure that can produce and move the food we eat around rapidly and we can feed the hungry in our country with handouts pretty easily but that is not the case in some areas.

Tyrone Bigguns
12-19-2007, 07:45 PM
The amusing thing about liberals is that 98% of them don't do anything practical to assist the poor. That's why they are comfortable in speaking ignorantly about helping the poor.

We have friends--cal them compassionate conservatives--that literally risked their lives to go into Haiti to bring food, clothing, medical attention, and a helping hand.

They found an institutionalized governmental corruption underlaid with a pervasive system of civil corruption at the local level interlaced with parasitic con-men that received and kept every penny of the money sent to the poor people of Haiti by well-meaning Americans.

Plant nut trees? The government will cut them down and sell them before the village can bring in a harvest.

Plant a community garden? The local sheriff confiscates the produce to eat and sell.

Build a house for a friendly family? (one room cinder block no glass windows) Return next year to find one of the sheriff's men living inside claiming he "bought" it.

Send money to the "goat man" to give every family a goat? No goats! What a surprise? Only pictures of goats for the suckers back in the US--and a wealthy goat man in Haiti.

The UN resides here like a giant scolding parasite. Corruption abroad is keeping the people down, not big American cars. Sheesh.

Interesting rant. Too bad it had nothing to do with the posted article.

No mention of starvation, no mention of governments, no mention of cars.

It would be nice if, whatever you call youself, stepped back from your rigid worldview and politics to consider alternate possibilities. Not asking you to change..just to consider.

Kiwon
12-20-2007, 12:02 AM

Swede, what are you talking about?

What could be more practical in assisting the poor, especially those in war-torn countries, than urging everyone to have an orgasm on the same day?
.................................................. .................................................. ......

http://www.globalorgasm.org/

WHO? All Men and Women, you and everyone you know.

WHERE? Everywhere in the world, but especially in countries with weapons of mass destruction and places where violence is used in place of mediation.

WHEN? Solstice Day - December 22, at 06:08 Universal Time (GMT)

WHY? To effect positive change in the energy field of the Earth through input of the largest possible instantaneous surge of human biological, mental and spiritual energy.

Kiwon
12-20-2007, 12:20 AM
Very practical, indeed.

Oh look, the lives of the hungry and poor are improving already. Liberals, thank you. You truly care! :cry:

http://www.svcmulti.com/bwitness/

the_idle_threat
12-20-2007, 07:24 AM
Crop yields have gone way up if you can buy the seed, fertilizer and materials needed to make it happen but there are people in the world today that are still subsistence farmers and there are many factors that determine whether or not they can grow enough food to survive and weather is a big factor....global warming or not. I know its hard to believe for some but not everyone on the planet can drive down to the Safeway when they are hungry and whip out the visa card or food stamps to load up on fucking ding dongs.
...and getting food to the people that really need it is much easier said than done...and oil prices "might" be a factor? are we still in the age of sail here? How are things transported around the planet? Telekinesis? There may be plenty of food but most of the entities that control it aren't going to give it away....someone has to pay for it.
Developed countries have stable infrastructure that can produce and move the food we eat around rapidly and we can feed the hungry in our country with handouts pretty easily but that is not the case in some areas.

Nice rant, but still wrong. You know I'm not saying everyone in the word can buy food at "Safeway".

What areas? You still throw out these generalizations and can't come up with an example of which poor starving people you're referring to. I've already stated that I'm referring to starving people in Africa whose so-called governments keep the people poor and hungry as a measure to control them. Gas prices could be 10 cents a gallon and global temps could be perfectly stable, and these people would still be starving because that's what their leaders have decided the people will do.

Freak Out
12-20-2007, 02:35 PM

Nice rant, but still wrong. You know I'm not saying everyone in the word can buy food at "Safeway".

What areas? You still throw out these generalizations and can't come up with an example of which poor starving people you're referring to. I've already stated that I'm referring to starving people in Africa whose so-called governments keep the people poor and hungry as a measure to control them. Gas prices could be 10 cents a gallon and global temps could be perfectly stable, and these people would still be starving because that's what their leaders have decided the people will do.

Did you say you were just referring to starving people in Africa? I missed that...I agree that there are governments (Sudan..) that are trying to use food as a way of controlling/disposing of a group of people in their territory but the problem of global hunger is not just govenment obstruction of a food supply. There are places in Africa where we have had unfettered access to for years and the people still go hungry...does the government stop the rain from falling? Does the government unleash locusts every year? Getting the food to the worlds hungry costs lots of $$$ and many times its not there. Africa, Asia, South America...does it matter what area? producing food takes capital...if you want to eat you better be able to grow it, buy it or kill it other wise get in line and hope for the best. Our tax dollars insure the American farmer (corporate or otherwise) can go out and get the seed and equipment they need to grow our food but that is not the global norm. The USDA states that 6-10 percent of Americans go hungry throughout the year....most have to make a choice between food, medical attention and heating oil/gas...is that the governments fault?

Freak Out
12-20-2007, 05:59 PM
This is interesting....

http://www.usda.gov/documents/8907Manhattanmap.pdf

LL2
12-20-2007, 06:28 PM
This is interesting....

Is that map saying that people in Manhattan get farm subsidies? Gov't assistance or money? If that's the case ... WTF? What do they grow there? Another example of gov't waste.

Freak Out
12-20-2007, 06:55 PM
This is interesting....

Is that map saying that people in Manhattan get farm subsidies? Gov't assistance or money? If that's the case ... WTF? What do they grow there? Another example of gov't waste.

This is where I found the map...

http://www.usda.gov/wps/portal/usdafarmbill?navtype=SU&navid=FARM_BILL_FORUMS

I have not had the time to dig into what the hell we are actually being shown.

I did fire off an email asking for some clarification on the pdf but it's almost 8pm there now.

the_idle_threat
12-21-2007, 12:42 PM

Did you say you were just referring to starving people in Africa? I missed that...I agree that there are governments (Sudan..) that are trying to use food as a way of controlling/disposing of a group of people in their territory but the problem of global hunger is not just govenment obstruction of a food supply. There are places in Africa where we have had unfettered access to for years and the people still go hungry...does the government stop the rain from falling? Does the government unleash locusts every year? Getting the food to the worlds hungry costs lots of $$$ and many times its not there. Africa, Asia, South America...does it matter what area? producing food takes capital...if you want to eat you better be able to grow it, buy it or kill it other wise get in line and hope for the best. Our tax dollars insure the American farmer (corporate or otherwise) can go out and get the seed and equipment they need to grow our food but that is not the global norm. The USDA states that 6-10 percent of Americans go hungry throughout the year....most have to make a choice between food, medical attention and heating oil/gas...is that the governments fault?

I guess it's an issue of proximate cause to me. I think fuel prices and global warming are way down the list in causes of mass hunger compared to corrupt governments or, apparently in the cases you're describing above, people too stupid to GTFO of inhospitable places. You can only go so far to help those who can't or won't help themselves.

I'm not gonna cry about driving an SUV (even though I don't, but in principle) because in a remote sequence of events it might contribute to world hunger, when there are other much greater contributing factors.

the_idle_threat
12-21-2007, 12:53 PM
This is interesting....

This is where I found the map...

http://www.usda.gov/wps/portal/usdafarmbill?navtype=SU&navid=FARM_BILL_FORUMS

I have not had the time to dig into what the hell we are actually being shown.

I did fire off an email asking for some clarification on the pdf but it's almost 8pm there now.

I've seen this map before, and I'm not entirely sure of the whole story regarding what is being shown, but I recall an explanation to the effect that the regualr dots are recipients of crop subsidies, and the really large dots represent extra large of subsidies to those particular recipients---in seven figures or something to that effect.

A simple explanation---aside from scamming and graft, which probably accounts for a potion of it---is that the farm subsidies are paid to owners of farmable land even if they are absentee owners. Surely a person in NYC could own a parcel of land upstate or out of state that is farmable, and might be receiving some kind of farm subsidy payment. This is especially credible given the fact that some (perhaps most or all) farm subsidies take the form of direct payments to land owners on the condition that they NOT farm the land, so as to artifically lower supply and therefore prop up prices. The kind of people who are most likely to take advantage of such a program, you would think, are the absentee owners who are not farming the land anyway, and take these payments in leiu of leasing the land to local farmers who would plant on it. I don't know for certain if this is the major contributing factor, but it would be my guess.

the_idle_threat
12-21-2007, 01:08 PM
http://www.newwest.net/index.php/city/article/farming_park_avenue_farm_subsidies_from_manhattan_ to_montana/C8/L8/

http://www.optimist123.com/optimist/2007/11/farm-subsidies-.html

Well, I wasn't too far off. Some articles on point, including some interesting discussion in the comments to the second one.

Kiwon
12-21-2007, 06:53 PM
This is especially credible given the fact that some (perhaps most or all) farm subsidies take the form of direct payments to land owners on the condition that they NOT farm the land, so as to artifically lower supply and therefore prop up prices.

Idle, shhhh......

You're messing up the U.N.'s doom and gloom supply and demand scenario.

Let's get the story straight. Global warming has ruined the land in upstate New York and rendered it useless.

These gentlemen farmers are making out like bandits and we don't want to spoil their good thing. If they can't collect money by not farming then at least they can dive in the bureaucracy, disguise themselves and collect money as victims of global warming.

Heavens, the last thing they need to do is actually hire some (illegal) folks and farm the land.

Tyrone Bigguns
12-21-2007, 08:20 PM
Mason's control everything. The U.N. is merely a pawn of the priory of scion.

Kiwon
12-21-2007, 08:58 PM
Mason's control everything. The U.N. is merely a pawn of the priory of scion.

That would be, "The Masons control everything." Absolutely.

Democratic and Socialist class warfare Seasons' Greetings from New Orleans: "Shut up, white boy"

http://www.breitbart.tv/html/17714.html