PDA

View Full Version : This Just IN: Bill Parcells...

K-town
12-19-2007, 02:00 PM
is rumored to be close to signing on with the Atlanta Falcons, BUT NOT as head coach. Rather, he will be VP in charge of football operations. Which means he'll pick his own GM (Goodbye, Rich McKay), and together they'll pick the latest victim/head coach of the Dirty Birds.

The Leaper
12-19-2007, 02:05 PM
Why bother hiring a GM?

Brando19
12-19-2007, 02:52 PM
Breaking news: Parcells just turned down the Falcons! The Dolphins are making him a better offer at this point! Looks like Atlanta gets shafted, yet again! Ya can't help sometimes but feel sorry for that team.

GoPackGo
12-19-2007, 02:56 PM
If the Falcons and Dolphins had any brains they would try to steal Ted Thompson!

Charles Woodson
12-19-2007, 03:01 PM
If the Falcons and Dolphins had any brains they would try to steal Ted Thompson!

The if should be bolded....
Just ask miami how john beck turned out

BF4MVP
12-19-2007, 03:22 PM
But let's hope that our new CEO has enough brains not to let one of the best GMs in the business get away 8-)

retailguy
12-20-2007, 12:24 PM
Breaking news: Parcells just turned down the Falcons! The Dolphins are making him a better offer at this point! Looks like Atlanta gets shafted, yet again! Ya can't help sometimes but feel sorry for that team.

When you dance with the devil, you almost always get burned. The falcons get burned today, and the Dolphins 2 to 3 seasons from now.

How can a guy be so decisive ON the field and such an indecisive WEENIE off the field? I'll never understand this. Remember the Bucs 5 years ago?

They're laughing their asses off, I'm sure.

Carolina_Packer
12-20-2007, 12:34 PM

When you dance with the devil, you almost always get burned. The falcons get burned today, and the Dolphins 2 to 3 seasons from now.

How can a guy be so decisive ON the field and such an indecisive WEENIE off the field? I'll never understand this. Remember the Bucs 5 years ago?

They're laughing their asses off, I'm sure.

Because he's not ordering a pizza, he's trying to decide where he might be working and living for the next few years, which isn't just an automatic decision. There's also the contract details. I think his age is another factor (do I really want this at this stage or not) and his level of control is likely a big factor too. I just heard Harry Carson on "The Herd" say that he thought Miami would be a great fit because Parcells loves south Florida, and they both thought he might like the rebuilding process in Miami because they are likely even more disfunctional than Atlanta.

If he gets this job, I could see him canning Randy Meuller and bringing in his own guy, and perhaps even switching coaches.

Harlan Huckleby
12-20-2007, 01:47 PM
Parcells is a turkey. He doesn't want to coach anymore, too much time & work. (not to mention his lack of success for about 10 years.) He doesn't want to be a GM - who needs all that hard work and accountability?

So his negotiation with both Atlanta and Miami is for a position to float above the fray as "head of football operations" or some such title, with both a GM and Coach working beneath him. Of course he is going to override those guys when he sees fit.

What GM would want to have Parcells looking over his shoulder?

Parcells wants to be a Prince. I can't believe these teams are willing to accept his conditions. Parcells wants to remain semi-retired and have a nice hobby job as super-boss of a football team.

MJZiggy
12-20-2007, 02:39 PM
Parcells is a turkey. He doesn't want to coach anymore, too much time & work. (not to mention his lack of success for about 10 years.) He doesn't want to be a GM - who needs all that hard work and accountability?

So his negotiation with both Atlanta and Miami is for a position to float above the fray as "head of football operations" or some such title, with both a GM and Coach working beneath him. Of course he is going to override those guys when he sees fit.

What GM would want to have Parcells looking over his shoulder?

Parcells wants to be a Prince. I can't believe these teams are willing to accept his conditions. Parcells wants to remain semi-retired and have a nice hobby job as super-boss of a football team.

Nice work if you can get it.

Jimx29
12-20-2007, 04:57 PM
4 years as executive vice president of dolphin football operations

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20071220/ap_on_sp_fo_ne/fbn_dolphins_parcells

Harlan Huckleby
12-21-2007, 02:11 AM
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20071220/ap_on_sp_fo_ne/fbn_dolphins_parcells

Parcells insisted that he will not coach in Miami — but could see himself helping the coach, whomever it is.

:lol: :lol: How nice for the coach - Bill will be there as his buddy. A helper.
Who wouldn't want an all-powerful, snarling control-freak for a helper?

What happens to Cameron?

What happens to general manger Randy Mueller?

"Well, I'm not going to be doing either one of those jobs," Parcells said. "So when I get down there, I'm going to just have to look at the situation and speak with those fellas and evaluate things and see where we go from there."

This is too rich. Parcells is not going to be GM or Coach, he is just going to have control of both jobs. He's supposed to be a great talent evaluator, perhaps so, but that's the GM's baby.

This is not going to end well.

The Leaper
12-21-2007, 08:18 AM
This is not going to end well.

I agree.

People may piss and moan about Thompson and how he approaches the media and everything...but I think that is probably one of the better ways to handle things as GM. You have to play things tight to the vest most of the time...unless you reach a position like Wolf where you are so well respected that you can open up without concern.

I can't see how Parcells gets anyone to work under him who aren't complete pansies...because anyone with a pair of brass balls won't want to take order from a guy with man boobs.

cheesner
12-21-2007, 03:03 PM
The assumption is that he must know football because he was (at one time) a successful coach. But the two jobs are night and day. This is as bad as when posters wanted Holmgren to be the next Packer President. Other than hiring the GM, almost all of the job has very little to do with the game of football. You are far better off with a guy who is a business man.

Deputy Nutz
12-21-2007, 04:39 PM
Wasn't that job at one point supposed to go to Dan Marino? He backed out once he figured out he was only hired to be pushed out in front of the media to give bad news.