PDA

View Full Version : Chat with Gary Horton

motife
12-19-2007, 04:56 PM
http://proxy.espn.go.com/chat/chatESPN?event_id=18562
Gary Horton: The playoffs are really starting to take shape right now and we're getting a great feel for what January will look like. As always, it seems like there's news in the NFL, and the Bill Parcells situation in Atlanta or Miami becomes fascinating.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
sam (NY): What's your take on the Jet's current QB situation? They can't possibly bring Chad back next year (can they?) and Kellen hasn't impressed much. Do you think it's possible for them to draft a QB with their top pick- especially if McFadden is still on the board?

Gary Horton: I do not think they'll draft a QB, but I totally agree that Pennington will not be back, and I haven't seen anything in Kellen Clemens that tells me he can take over this team. They're in a world of hurt at the QB position. I wouldn't be surprised if they go after a veteran guy to buy some more time with Clemens. It's far from being a settled position.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Adam (Vermont): Do the Titans stand a reasonable chance of making the playoffs this year or do they need just too much help from other teams to be even considered?

Gary Horton: I think it's gonna go right down to the wire. A couple weeks ago, I would have said yes. I think now, it probably looks like Jacksonville and Cleveland are the two wild card teams in the AFC. It comes down to the last couple of weeks and quarterback play. I don't know that Vince Young, with all of his talent, can put together two consistent games to keep them in the hunt. I think they've played well and I like the direction they're going in, but I think they'll come up short.
Patrick (Ocala, FL): The Cowboys have not looked really good since their showdown with the NYG in the Meadowlands. Do you think they hit their stride too early in the season or are they just getting their bad football out of them at the right time?

Gary Horton: I think there are some concerns. I don't think they're playing with the same consistency or discipline that they had, and it all starts with Tony Romo. He made bad decisions last week, forcing the ball to T.O., and I also think the Cowboys have become enamored with the passing game and big plays, and they are not running the ball as physically as they can. Last week was a perfect example of a game where the offense wasn't clicking, so in my mind, they should have just run the ball a ton with Marion Barber and forget the high scoring, and just come away with a win over an inferior opponent. I think, down the stretch, they'll have to commit more to the run game and not assume that Romo will be terrific every week. Now, I think what's intriguing is that they could be forced to go to Green Bay in the NFC championship game. That's not a trip they want to make. I also think they will right the ship and they'll be fine heading in to the playoffs.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Keith (South Dakota): Big game this week concerning the NFC wild card; Vikes or Skins?

Gary Horton: I'm still going with the Vikings, but not with the same commitment I had before Monday night. Tarvaris Jackson did not play well and as good as their run offense and defense are, smart opponents can try to take everything else away and make the QB beat you. I think that's what Washington may do. I still think the Vikings have a recipe for success going in to the playoffs, because they are so big and physical on both sides of the ball, but I just worry about making enough plays at the QB position in a playoff atmosphere.
Brian (Chicago): Why have the Bengals underachieved so much? They seem to have the talent to be at least a playoff team?

Gary Horton: They've had injuries which have held them back, and losing Chris Henry for eight games disrupted their passing game. They are effective out of three-wide receiver sets, and with Henry gone, defenses could handle Johnson and T.J. As usual, they don't look like a resilient team. You get the feeling that they let up if they have nothing to play for.
chauncey (teaneck): What are your feelings on Eli's play?

Gary Horton: I don't think he's playing very well, and if I were a Giants fan, I'd be concerned. I know they have a lot of injuries and he doesn't have his full complement of weapons, but he continues to make questionable decisions for a guy of his experience. At times, his mechanics will get sloppy and he doesn't look prepared. And yet everyone says he studies film and works hard. I just don't know right now if he can carry this offense if everything else is not working and he has to shoulder the load. What scares me the most is, you can no longer say that he's a young guy, still learning. By now, it should all be there.
Nick (WI): How about the Pro Bowl snubs? Who's your 3 biggest? As a Packer fan, I can't believe that Woodson and Barnett will be sitting it out.

Gary Horton: Fred Taylor is the biggest name that comes to mind. You could give him it for the totality of his career, and you could certainly make a case for Woodson and Barnett, and there are a lot of other snubs. There may have been a case for David Garrard of Jacksonville.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Vincent (Chicago): Are you surprised the Pats have gotten away from the screens that were so successful in past years? I'm all for going down the field, but in those tough conditions Pennington found success throwing underneath, while Brady was forcing it downfield. Your thoughts?

Gary Horton: They've been one of the best screen teams in the NFL over the past few years. What has happened is that teams are playing coverage defenses because of their ability to spread the field, and when you face nickel-and-dime defenses, you don't get the pass rush and blitzes that are necessary for screens. Defenses are sitting back, so when you throw the screens, you have a lot of guys closing on the ball. They also need to run the ball better to set up the play action packages, but it's hard to fault that offense.
Jacob (B Springs): How do you explain the 49ers situation. They looked like a playoff team at the end of last year but fell short of expectations this year. Do they stick with Nolan and Smith or is it time to look elsewhere?

Gary Horton: They're in a real dilemma, because the relationship between the coach and QB is not very good, and I don't know that it can be repaired. I'm not sure that Smith is the ultimate answer, and he's not the same guy who looked like he was making great progress out of Norv Turner. I also think that Nolan may have been given too much power in terms of acquiring personnel. I thought they had a great offseason and liked their moves, but it's so difficult to know how chemistry will work with bringing in new players. That's a factor, their offensive play-calling was a factor, and you have a QB that just didn't develop. We have a team that is not very explosive, and that has huge questions to answer in the offseason.
David (Nashville): What kind of help does Vince Young need to become an elite quarterback. Is it a combination of accuracy and no vertical receivers?

Gary Horton: Young needs receivers that are smart and don't drop the ball, and the offense needs to play to his strengths, which is to roll out, maybe only read half the field, and use the threat of your running skills to open up defenses. I don't think he'll ever be a pocket passer who reads the progressions, but he is such a physical guy and a great athlete that he can create physical plays, but he needs weapons on the perimeter.
Ryan, Ohio: What should the Browns do with their QB situation? A 1st and 3rd sure would be nice for Derek Anderson if Quinn could takeover...

Gary Horton: I don't think anyone will give them that, as well as he's played. There's a feeling that he's still a work-in-progress, and he's not the future of this franchise. On top of that, we have no idea if Brady Quinn will be a great NFL QB. I think right now, I would keep both guys for one more year, because Quinn's contract is organizationally friendly. I would give him a lot of playtime in the preseason to audition him, and make that decision in the next offseason. There's no way you can trade Anderson if he continues to play well, but I don't think either guy is in a situation where they know they're the long-term answer. It's a good problem to have.
Jake: (Minneapolis, MN): Packers seemed a bit sloppy last week against the Rams but their special teams bailed them out. How do you think they're playing now?

Gary Horton: I don't worry about the Packers, because I think they have a great feel for who they are. I like what I've seen in the last couple of weeks in terms of their commitment to run the football. They seem to know they need a run game in January, and they look like a team that can get it done with Grant, although their identity will still be pass-first. I think they know exactly what they need to do to get it done in the playoffs, and I don't worry about them with Favre leading the way.

Gary Horton: We won't chat again until next Wednesday, which is the day after Christmas, so I'd love to wish everyone a wonderful holiday season, and we should be thankful for a great NFL season.

fan4life
12-19-2007, 06:26 PM
The last answer, about the Pack, is absolutely right on.