PDA

View Full Version : Chat with Matt Williamson

motife
12-19-2007, 05:12 PM
http://proxy.espn.go.com/chat/chatESPN?event_id=18533

Kelly Mae, Westminster MD: Who are the Ravens big free agents in 2008 and who will be re-signed?

Matt Williamson: T Suggs is the biggest name. You also have to think that Ogden and McNair are considering retirement. I think they will do everything possible to bring back Suggs-maybe even franchise him. This has not been his best year, but he is still young and is very proven.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Richard (Baton Rouge): How dare you compete with the great Archie Manning!!

Matt Williamson: Is he hosting a chat right now too? Wow-maybe I will go over there! LOL
Greg (Indy): What was wrong with Colts on Sunday vs. the Raiders? I was kind of expecting a huge game from Addai and as you saw did not get that.

Matt Williamson: Everyone expected a huge day from Addai against that terrible run D, but Oak came to play. They deserve credit. Kiffin deserves credit-that team certainly has not given up.
Andrew (indianapolis): Shawn Springs looked pretty decent as a safety in the game against the Giants. Any chance they move him to free safety and draft or sign a good CB?

Matt Williamson: I think it is a logical move. Landry is better near the LOS and Springs could be that deep patrol guy. CBs seem easier to find right now than Safeties-this is a horrible S draft and very few interesting UFAs at S this year.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Paul (Knoxville,TN): WHO AND WHAT DO U SEE THE SAINTS DOING IN THE OFFSEASON??..I HEARD A RUMOR AFTER THE MNF FOOTBALL GAME THAT DEANGELO HALL TOLD SEAN PAYTON HE WOULD LOVE TO BE IN NEW ORLEANS..ANY CHANCE??

Matt Williamson: I guess that would make some sense and he would fit there well. Obviously D has to be the top priority. Not sure how I would handle the RB spot. Depends on McAlister's progress, but they have to have a bigger guy to take half of Bush's carries. Is Stecker/Thomas capable? Not sure on that yet, but have my doubts. I like the DEs enough to stick with them as the starters, but a DT wouldn't hurt. CB is clearly the #1 need however and a true playmaker at one of the linebacker spots would go a long way. All their LBs are okay, but they need a star there.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Frank (Pell Lake, WI): Do you think that Darren Sharper has a shot at a spot in the Hall of Fame? I'd say he's had a great career, but not Hall worthy.

Matt Williamson: My guess is that his INT career #s are very impressive, but I agree wtih you. Real good player. Not a superstar. Nah.
Adam (minnesota): barring injuries do you think adrian peterson will ever make it to an LT/Barry level? or do you think defenses will figure him out and he will just be a couple year wonder?

Matt Williamson: He will not be a one year wonder. No doubt about that in my mind. You touched on it though-health. That is the ONLY thing that worries me in his quest to be a true great one. Could see him playing hurt and hurting himself further as well. GREAT player already though.
Jonny (LA): If the Jets are in a position to do so, I have to pray they would draft McFadden. It's not their top need, but the team needs some kind of playmaker on offense. What's your feeling on it?

Matt Williamson: It looks like they will pick in the 4to 7 range and I doubt McFadden lasts that long, but Peterson did-so for arguements' sake, let's say he is there. He would be extremely difficult to pass on, but I feel like thier needs are really in the trenches on both sides of the ball. Guys like T Jones, L Washington and the WRs all would suddenly become better playmakers if the Jets had a stud RT. OG is a huge need. DL would make the entire D better.
Ben (Baton Rouge, LA): With so many holes, can the Bears turn it around in just one offseason? What would be your top (realistic) goals for the Bears this free agency/draft period?

Matt Williamson: I would say No. Let's go over their wish list in no particular order-first off, they could lose Berrien and Briggs-ouch. A suitable QB is not on their roster-I am convinced of that and acquiring one will be expensive! I would live with Peterson/Benson for one more year since their needs are so great. LG and RT are massive holes, particularly at RT. They need a safety. Will prob need a OLB-at least for depth. A run stuffer at DT is a huge need as well. Too much for one off season.
Adam (minnesota): got a couple ? about tom brady for you...first off do you ever see there being any way that he leaves the pats? and second there was a couple years during brady's coming to in the nfl that i didnt pay attention so how did brady fall into the 6th round in the draft?

Matt Williamson: Brady was succesful as the QB at Michigan-obviously a major college program and NFL factory, but the knock that I remember on him was that he really didn't have any special traits. Not real mobile, Not a fantastic arm. Blah Blah Blah. I need to go back and read some reports on him as a prospect to be sure on this however. Could he leave NE? Sure-Montana left. Nameth left. Unitas left. Is it likely? Not at all and not in his prime.
Mike (Carbondale, IL): Will Pitt let either (or both) Faneca or Starks go through FA? Both would receive a ton of attention I imagine.

Matt Williamson: Both will get a ton of attention, but I also think PGH will let both walk and completly revamp their OL. Outside shot that they Franchise Faneca, but that really isn't their style. Thier OL is awfully bad right now.
Jerry Reese (New Jersey): What major moves do you see for the Giants in the off-season? I think we could use a play-making OLB, OLT (moving Diehl back inside), and DT...your thoughts?

Matt Williamson: Was asked this a few weeks ago and I responded by saying that I didn't think NYG had any MASSIVE need that they needed to address. Diehl's performance of late may have changed my mind though. Whimper is still there and has some talent, but adding one stud LT (they dont grow on trees though) would make that OL elite. I do think they need to draft a QB in the 3rd round or so-groom to backup Eli. A first round big-time ATH OLB could make that D very good, esp from a coverage standpoint. A stud DT would make that DL rediculous-not a huge need though. I still worry about WR. Plex needs someone to lighten his load, but how many high picks can you throw at the position?
Ari (Cleveland, OH): What piece is most neccesarry for the Browns to fix their woeful D?

Matt Williamson: DL for sure. Could really use two starters on their 3 man front, one being a NT.
M (DC): With the possibility that both Carlos Rogers and Rocky Macintosh could miss the next season due to their torn ACL/MCL, should the Redskins use their first two picks on a linebacker and corner?

Matt Williamson: Like we talked about earlier, if Springs can transition to FS, CB becomes a massive need. I still think a big strong WR could really kick start this O and help Campbell tremendously. OG and RT are needs. Another DT wouldn't hurt. OLB makes sense as well if Rockey can't go. They are not short of needs.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Brian (Brooklyn): The Giants are driving me absolutely crazy. I still believe they will beat Buffalo and have a good chance to win a first round game at TB or SEA and give either GB or Dal a game in the second round. Am I crazy? People are telling me Im crazy.

Matt Williamson: Brian-I think you are crazy.
Josh (Cleveland): Someone on a browns message board suggested trading Quinn to the fins for Ginn. Worst trade idea ever?

Matt Williamson: Pretty bad. Clev doesn't need Ginn. Quinn is more valuable to them. DA could leave.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
George (Boston, Ma.): Matt, how far do you see Tampa going in the Playoffs this year, and do you think this is a fluke year or are they this good?

Matt Williamson: Not a fluke year, but that division helps. I see one win and then huge trouble. Gruden is a COY candidate for sure. D is strong. OL has improved greatly. Consistent QB play.
Mike (MD): Where does Denver need to improve most? OL, DL, S? I know they moved DJ to MLB cause they wanted to keep him in for more plays, but the Broncos run D really misses Al Wilson. They choked at home to SF last season without him and stunk up the joint this year.

Matt Williamson: A run plugging DT (what Sam Adams was supposed to do) could make everyone better. A young S needs to be addressed at some point soon. Not sold at all on the OL in general. Lepsis and Nalen are aging-the rest aren't special. I like DJ better at OLB and a Laurenitis type MLB with some fire would sure be nice.
Keith Elko Nevada: Matt Will Denver get rid of Javon walker and Travis herny salary cap reasons and two players like Marshall and Young being there thanks keith

Matt Williamson: Have thought about that, but I just don't know what their cap hits are. I would guess that Henry is more expendable-plus he is a failed test away from suspension. I would have a real tough time cutting J Walk.
Greg (Dallas): Are we leading up to another potential TO blow up? He has had 2 bad games in a row and is strating to complain about not getting the ball even though they threw to him 11 times last game. If the Cowboys fail to make the Super Bowl and Romo is part of the reason, do we see another McNabb/Garcia type of situation?

Matt Williamson: It does kinda smell like that a bit huh? Bad body language on game day. Doubt it escalates to that degree....but keep an eye on it.
John (Portland, ME): How many Pats make the Pro Bowl?

Matt Williamson: Wow-let's go through this: Brady, Mankins, Light, Moss, Seymour?, Wilfork?, Warren?-at least one of those DL, Vrabel, Samuel. Just short: Welker and Koppen.
ryan (cleveland, ohio): isn't DA a restricted free agent this year? i totally agree on trading him while he's hot, though.

Matt Williamson: He is. Clev will tender him wtih a 1st and 3rd rounder. I would move him before moving Quinn.
Bernard (Princeton, NJ): Back to the Steelers for a second, because of the Steelers pourous offensive line isnt it even more impressive what Ben has done this season?

Matt Williamson: No question about it.
Adam (CA): Shaun Hill? 1 week wonder? Or possible new QB for the Niners?

Matt Williamson: Possible #2 QB for the Niners.
Mike (Carbondale, IL): The whole NE offensive line deserves to go...Welker has to go too right?

Matt Williamson: They only take four-in the AFC, I would take Moss, Wayne, Marshall, TJ, 85 and Braylon all over Welker. Great season for sure, but those have been better. Tough to get in!
Chad Albright,WV: Do you consider Brady better then Manning? I myself dont think Brady has half Peytons talent.

Matt Williamson: Brady vs. Manning debate could go on forever and I prob shouldn't have even posted this question. Both are light years ahead of #3 and both will go down as all time greats-maybe the best two who ever played QB in the NFL. With a gun to my head-I take Brady.
Keith (Boston): Where does Pennington play next year?

Matt Williamson: Minny would be a fantastic fit. SF? Needs to go to a team with a short controlled passing game. Preferably one with a strong D and running game....and doesn't play in terrible windy conditions.
Greg(Boston): You think Seymour goes to the Pro-Bowl? Are you kidding me? He's missed half the season, and has .5 sack more than I do. He's WAY, over rated.

Matt Williamson: He won't go this year and is not deserving because he hasn't played enough. Do me a favor though and just watch that guy in the playoffs-he is still an ELITE defensive player in this league and demands a double team consistently. Special special player. Not overrated at all-maybe underrated.
Matt (Minneapolis, MN): Trying not to sound too cynical here, but isn't the Pro Bowl sort of pointless? It's barely attended by the players selected, hardly watched in person or on TV, and is played in February when everyone is in a post-SB mode?

Matt Williamson: Yeah-I think it is about the dumbest thing in the world.
Elton ( MA ): If Pats stick with their pick. Most likely 2-3 from 49ers. Do they grab McFadden to go along with Maroney?

Matt Williamson: Would be hard to argue with that. Can split him out wide. Returner. But...They might lose Samuel/Moss and/or Stallworth. CB could become a major need. I expect a trade down-that is just their style. Darkhorse: C Long from Virginia-he just screams Patriots' type of guy and BB loves DLinemen.
Josh (mpls, MN): How do you like the Vikes chance in round one against Seattle or TB if they get in?

Matt Williamson: Everyone seems to think that Minny is the "team that no one wants to face"-not me. They can't throw. Minny/TBay would be a good game though. I think Sea would go 4 WRs and throw all over the Vikes-esp in Seattle. They have far exceeded expectations this year and are growing quickly-but they are not a contender.
Robert - Las Vegas: Give me your thoughts on the Chargers in the playoffs, regarding their seeding: how far do they go as a 4 seed and how far as a 3 seed, if the playoffs were to start this weekend?

Matt Williamson: I simply do not trust Rivers or Norv, but this team is super talented and LT is on a mission. One win at most though. Won't go into NE or Indy and get a W after those teams rest a week (or more). I think they beat Clev or PGH, but struggle with Jax.
DiBa (Boston Ma): Richard Seymour is JUST NOW starting to regain his health. The dude from Boston should have known that he's been injured all year and has been slowed by knee surgery.

Matt Williamson: Absolutely
Travis, SLC: Matt, what do you think about the Broncos trying to trade up to get Jake Long? He is the prototypical Denver back. He knows how the zone blocking scheme works. He is quick ect. ect. What do you think?

Matt Williamson: Long would be a great LT for Den-will be very expensive to move up that high though. Looks like he could go in the top 3/4. Willing to give up THAT many picks to move? Still have Lepsis for now, althogh Long could start out at RT.
Majeed: M-Dub, Bolts have won 8 out of 10 and are peaking at the right time. I think they can beat Indy or NE if they meet up as long as they give LT the ball close to 30 times. Plus they have Cromartie now to cover Moss or Wayne.

Matt Williamson: That is all well and good, but I like Wayne and Moss' chances against Cromartie and getting LT 30 carries isn't an easy task when the Colts/Pats are putting up serious points. Rivers vs. Brady/Peyton...hmmm
Matt, Green Bay: Are you not answering any Packer questions because they are so awesome, nothing else need be said?

Matt Williamson: That is exactly right. Seriously, they are pretty darn tough though.
Mad Mike (Houston): Matt: Well as we near the end of the year, it appears as though two divisions are head and shoulders above the rest. The AFC South and NFC East, which in your opinion is better now? And which stands the be better next year? Thanks and Happy Holidays.......MM

Matt Williamson: I agree that they are the best two and I give the edge to the South-barely. I also give the edge to the South next year. Hard to predict without seeing all the moves, but Philly could fall off if McNabb leaves. Wash is volitile from a roster standpoint. Tough call.
Christian (Chicago): How many Packers make the Pro Bowl? I think Favre, Jennings, Barnett, Kampman, Woodson and Harris all deserve to go. Maybe even Ryan Grant and Donald Lee.

Matt Williamson: Favre and Kampman are the only locks. I do think Harris and Woodson are worthy. There are a TON of very good NFC MLBs-Barnett is as good as any though. I would take Witten and Cooley over Lee. Grant has a shot-the NFC RBs are terrible this year and they take three: Peterson and Westrbrook are in. Grant over Barber, Portis, Edge? Maybe. A LOT of good WRs though and they only take four: I would vote for TO, Colston, Fitz and Plex-others to consider are Holt and Galloway.
Michael Chicago: Matt - you said eariler the bears had to many holes - here 1st trade devin hester for draft picks, if you can get a first rounder for him great - do not sign back lance briggs take the 20 million guaranteed to him and resign berrian and a guard and grossman. With your two first rounders you draft a rt and hopefully leranitis (i think i butchered his name) and move urlacher and his sore back to olb. you get two offensive linemen your replacement at mlb a new olb and we haven't gotten to the second round of the draft.

Matt Williamson: That is well thought out and actually quite reasonable. Still have a gaping hole at QB though and a lot needs to fall perfectly into place to make that work.
Jay ( Boston): Moss n Stallworth?? Maybe Samuel but why those other 2 guys? Are they on 1 yr contracts?

Matt Williamson: Yes-both are UFAs. Stallworth is history. Gaffney might be up as well though.
Majeed: FYI- Earnest Graham has had a better year than Ryan Grant also.

Matt Williamson: He should have been mentioned-good catch.
Mike (Carbondale, IL): Holt's numbers with that OL and those QBs are very impressive...

Matt Williamson: Not to mention he was really banged up early in the year with that knee. If you asked me a year ago who the best WR in the game was, I would have taken Holt. Big fan.
Craig (DC): How long until my Fins are good again?

Matt Williamson: How long do you have? Do not hold your breath.
Mad Mike (Houston): Matt: What do the Texans need to do to take the next step to real playoff contention, besides get the 17 guys back from IR? Thanks...........MM

Matt Williamson: Yeah, the inj have been an issue for sure. I like this team and give Kubiak a lot of credit, but I also see a lot of needs. LT, OG, RB, DE opposite Mario, CB could be #1, one more S and LB.
Dan - San Jose: Andy Lee and Patrick Willis in Hawaii for the 49ers?

Matt Williamson: Lee actually is more deserving than Willis. Pick two at ILB: Willis, Beason, Fletcher, James, Barnett, Urlacher, Henderson, Lofi, Witherspoon...and I could be missing someone.
Adam (Louisville,KY): Hey Matt, just got here from Archie's chat(again, how dare you!), I know this is early, and I'm looking forward to the Playoffs/Superbowl, but what needs to do you see the Colts going for with their 2nd round pick? Thanks.

Matt Williamson: It is a little early to speculate what Indy might do with the 60th pick in the 2008 Draft. I am good...but not that good.
Tim (San Diego): Matt, Cromartie to the pro-bowl? I think Jax would prefer not to play SD in the playoffs. However, neither team is afraid of the other.

Matt Williamson: He should go. Superstar in the making. Neither team should fear one another and I think that would be the most even matchup of the playoffs if it occurs. could be fun.
Keith (Chicago): Lots of pro bowl questions... yawn. Steelers lost on the road to the best team "ever", and at home to a tough, tough team. Not a big deal, why is everyone going nuts? And I'm a Browns fan.

Matt Williamson: I hear ya and I am from Pittsburgh-should see what it is like here! The reasons are pretty simple: PGH has some big problems right now-esp with their OL which affects everything. Ben is playing out of his mind and has way too much on his shoulders. PGH's D hasn't made big plays in a long time and now is struggling to stop the run. Some big chinks in the armor.
The Dude from Boston: Seymour has a total of 30 sacks in a 7 year career, with a high of 8 in one season. So in one year, he got more than 1/4 of his career sacks. He can't hold Jason Taylor's jock...

Matt Williamson: MUCH different players asked to do MUCH different things. Seymour can excel as a 4-3 DE, 3T or 3-4 DE. Excel. Demands so much extra attention vs. the run and pass. Hall of Famer.
Mark (Boston): Remember last week when you were trying to argue that Seattle might be the 5th best team in the NFL... that was awesome. Really good analysis. I'm not sure any team would be scared to go into Seattle in the playoffs. They've had the easiest schedule in the history of the NFL and haven't beaten anyone of substance since week 1. Not sure why you love them so much.

Matt Williamson: Don't love them, but also don't love any of the other teams outside the Big 4. Look at Sea's schedule, they played three road games in the last four weeks-often long road trips. They laid an egg. Came out flat. That happens. They are far from a great team, but going to Sea in the post season is no joke. Their lack of a running game will be their eventual demise.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
John (NYC): So does that mean Strahan is a Hall of Famer?

Matt Williamson: He is going for sure
Jason (Winnipeg): What do the chiefs do in the draft?

Matt Williamson: OL! OL! OL! QB?
Andrew (Toledo): Do the Browns win this week and lock up the Wild Card?

Matt Williamson: Kind of a scary game, but yeah, I do think they get the W in Cincy. Could be high scoring like the first one.
PaulieP (Scottsdale): If you were the Hawks would you rather play the second round in Dallas or Green Bay?

Matt Williamson: In Dallas. Traveling to Lambeau without a running game is suicide this late in the year.
Rob (Auburn,AL): What did you see from Matt Moore for the Panthers sunday? Do you think he has a future in Carolina after Delhomme?

Matt Williamson: WAY too early to tell that. Hs been with three teams in a year or so I think. Hasn't exactly blown anyone's doors off before that one game. Relax. He prob bought himself a roster spot for next year, but that is it. Can he be good? Sure, but easy.
Gary(Charlotte): Matt, Chris Harris has to make the pro bowl.He is the leading tackler among safties in the NFL and has the 8 forced fumbles which lead the leauge as well.

Matt Williamson: He has done very well in Car and is often overlooked. Think Chi wishes that they still had him?
Kevin (NO): Reggie Bush - off year or exposed as nothing more than a dangerous 3rd down back/wr?

Matt Williamson: Still capable of big years-with a guy like McAlister healthy. But overall-exposed.
Paul (MT): Do you think Hill could be our ROMO?

Matt Williamson: Jeez....come on guys. Relax on Hill and Moore. Let them at LEAST play ONE more game!
Greg Miller (CT): Matt! When are the Panthers going back to the Super Bowl to challenge the Patriots.

Matt Williamson: When Miller becomes your Romo
Bill (NY): Would Limas Sweed be a good fit for the Bills? They can use a big possession receiver!

Matt Williamson: Real good fit. They need a WR for sure and one with size would really help in the red zone and on third downs. Nice fit.

Matt Williamson: Okay everyone, I am out. Gotta roll. It was fun. Catch me later. Enjoy your holidays.