PDA

View Full Version : Eagles' 'D' forced Romo to pass

motife
12-19-2007, 05:14 PM
http://insider.espn.go.com/espn/blog/index?entryID=3161081&name=nfl_nfc
Eagles' 'D' forced Romo to pass by: Doug Kretz
posted: Wednesday, December 19, 2007 | Print Entry
filed under: Philadelphia Eagles

Having a disruptive defense is becoming a trend for the Eagles recently. In fact, the defense has kept them in games and given them a chance to win. They are doing this by forcing teams to be in situations they don't want to be in.

FS Brian Dawkins had one of the three interceptions against Tony Romo last week. In Sunday's win over the Cowboys, the Eagles' front seven did a great job of stopping them on first and second down, which put the Cowboys in third-and-long situations. Although the Cowboys have a strong ground game, it is built for short-to-medium gains because they lack a top-breakaway running threat. Because of this, when they are faced with third-and-long situations the Cowboys become one-dimensional. While the Cowboys have one of the most explosive passing attacks in the NFL, one of the reasons for their success is their ability to throw the ball when they want rather than being forced to throw because they have a long way to go on third down.

Because the Cowboys were in so many obvious passing situations, Eagles' defensive coordinator Jim Johnson did a masterful job of bringing a wide variety of zone blitzes. The Eagles' pressure led to QB Tony Romo's worst passing game of the year. Romo was 13-of-36 for 214 yards with three interceptions and no touchdowns. Plus, he appeared to be out of sync with his receivers all afternoon and was off target on almost all his throws. While Romo was obviously having an off day, a good portion of his lack of success can be attributed to not having time to go through his progressions or see defenders in zone coverage.

Johnson is one of the best coordinators when it comes to designing blitzes and having his players disguise the blitz up until the ball is snapped. If the Eagles can straighten out their offensive woes by figuring out how to sustain more drives and score points they have a chance to get back into the playoff picture next year.

packers11
12-19-2007, 05:41 PM
I love watching thier D schemes... It's so much more complicated than the one the packers use... It cracks me up how much there LB's move around, they never are in a stance, always trying to confuse the QB... I love it, this guy is a hell of a D coordinator...

LL2
12-19-2007, 05:50 PM
When the Pack play Dallas Romo had all the time in the world to throw the ball. The GB defense didn't pressure Romo much. If we play them in the playoffs we need to do the same as the Eagles, but that might open huge holes for thier runniing game. Just like it did for the Rams.

Partial
12-20-2007, 12:08 AM
Jim Johnson baby. Held LT to negative yards to years ago. Sick game planner.

Carolina_Packer
12-20-2007, 10:55 AM
I wonder if Jim Johnson ever had a shot at becoming a head coach? Perhaps he's better off being a great coordinator.

I like when Green Bay picks spots to blitz like they did against the Rams, although I thought they might send Pop instead of Barnett, but really, any of the LB's can blitz.

deake
12-20-2007, 11:02 AM
I watched the Rams game again and it looks like MM is certainly getting ready to play the Boys and the Pats. They took a page or two out of the Eagles playbook and seemingly blitzed almost every down, which worked well for the Eagles against both the Boys and the Pats. I really liked that middle blitz with Bigby following Barnett. I look for more of the same the next two weeks along with getting every one healthy. How much more exciting for a Packer fan can it get?

BallHawk
12-20-2007, 11:20 AM
I wonder if Jim Johnson ever had a shot at becoming a head coach? Perhaps he's better off being a great coordinator.

You'd think he would of gotten at least an offer from somebody. He's been in the league for 20+ years, 15 of those as a DC. Maybe it has something to do with his personality or maybe he's never wanted to be a HC.

He is an great DC, without question. I've always wished we'd run a defense like the one he has in Philly. One that really gets in the other teams face. We've got a great defense now, but we're more passive compared to a lot of defenses.

packers11
12-20-2007, 11:25 AM
the GB defense is very passive, this is the time to be aggressive... when you got two lock down cb's holding it down...

RashanGary
12-20-2007, 11:48 AM
I watched the Rams game again and it looks like MM is certainly getting ready to play the Boys and the Pats. They took a page or two out of the Eagles playbook and seemingly blitzed almost every down, which worked well for the Eagles against both the Boys and the Pats. I really liked that middle blitz with Bigby following Barnett. I look for more of the same the next two weeks along with getting every one healthy. How much more exciting for a Packer fan can it get?

I noticed that too. The Barnett delayed blitz was nice too. Hopefully the defense continues to evolve into something a little more aggressive.

packrulz
12-20-2007, 05:05 PM
The Cowboys are looking vulnerable all of a sudden, Romo has a sore thumb, they are starting back ups at center and safety, TO is bitching, and Wade Phillips has been canned how many times? Go Panthers!

b bulldog
12-20-2007, 06:51 PM
pHILLY'S d CAN DO MORE THAN OURS CAN. Our offense is much better than Philly's but in that game, the Eagles D was dominant.