PDA

View Full Version : A.J. Hawk

HarveyWallbangers
12-19-2007, 07:23 PM
How would you classify A.J. Hawk?

oregonpackfan
12-19-2007, 07:29 PM
Hawk is steadily improving and already is a vital member of the defense.

BF4MVP
12-19-2007, 07:30 PM
Solid starter..He's not spectacular, but he's an important player on a good defense..

Deputy Nutz
12-19-2007, 07:31 PM
He is a very good all around starter, that is more dynamic than what the scheme calls for, so he plays within the coaches demands.

I don't think he likes playing in the scheme, I think he would do better in a scheme that would free up the weakside linebacker, he can run with any back in the league, but unless teams run to his side, he is always playing the cut back. He has now attacked the line of scrimmage when the ball is run to his side, he no longer waits, he goes with his instincts, and now and in future years AJ Hawk playing on his instincts is going to be an animal. The Packers just have to free him up to make plays all over the field, his ability to make plays should work to their advantage, his ability to take risks and rely on his instincts to cut under blocks would yield higher rewards than disappointments. This under scheme is like putting handcuffs on the guy.

RashanGary
12-19-2007, 07:35 PM
Interesting observations, Nutz.

I'm just curious, what is an "under" scheme?

Freak Out
12-19-2007, 07:39 PM
Solid starter. It is going to be interesting to see how the coaches use him the next few years.

Deputy Nutz
12-19-2007, 07:42 PM

I get the "over" and "under" scheme confused, but what I can tell you is that the scheme the Packers play is set up to have Barnett basically free lance, if he feels he can knife through an opening to make a play he can, he has more freedom outside of his base responsibilities, where as the weakside linebacker, is now put into position to play the cut back when the play is run to the strong side of the formation. Hawk has to be more cautious instead of cutting under a block or slicing through openings to make plays, he has to adhere 100% to his responsibilities otherwise guys could be running all day. See Steven Jackson's 47 yard TD romp against the Packer where Poppinga failed to play the cut back correctly and over ran the play.

RashanGary
12-19-2007, 07:44 PM
I would rather see defenders play cutback lanes than get out of position with risks. Some defenses just let thier stars run wild and some good does happen. The star does get to make more plays, but it's not always the best thing.

As long as we're top 5 or 6 in points scored, I can't complain about how Hawk is used. Who cares if bulldog whines. Up till the last two years, Brady had just above average numbers. Good players do what it takes to win. They don't always have to rack up #'s.

mmmdk
12-19-2007, 07:47 PM
Solid starter that should improve.

BallHawk
12-19-2007, 08:20 PM
It depends what your definition of solid and very good are.

My take is:

A Solid starter is Poppinga.

A very good starter is Nick Barnett.

Hawk is a notch below Barnett and a few notches above Poppinga.

MadtownPacker
12-19-2007, 08:28 PM
Bigby is a solid starter. He gets burned sometimes. AJ does not, he is a very good starter because I dont recall him getting burn much if at all.

RashanGary
12-19-2007, 08:41 PM
The Packers are 12-2 and Hawk is one of the better players on one of the NFL's better defenses. It's tough for me to call him anything other than a very good starter.

Bretsky
12-19-2007, 09:04 PM
The Packers are 12-2 and Hawk is one of the better players on one of the NFL's better defenses. It's tough for me to call him anything other than a very good starter.

:bclap:

FritzDontBlitz
12-19-2007, 09:15 PM
Damn good starter.

Farley Face
12-19-2007, 09:53 PM

Justin Harrell,
I PM'd you awhile back, or thought I had anyway. Did you get it and chose not to reply or did I foul up in my attempt to send it? Just curious...

I PM'd a question about TT's approach that I thought you would enjoy expounding upon.

b bulldog
12-19-2007, 09:56 PM
Below what was expected but just solid

b bulldog
12-19-2007, 10:03 PM
Seriously , what did you expect in a Packers forum. I should start a post in the Bears forum and ask, is Urlacher the best LB in the game when healthy?? I bet I'd get 19-20 that would say yes.

Farley Face
12-19-2007, 10:06 PM
Below what was expected but just solid

Agree. Thankfully not a bust at #5 overall but I question his odds of evolving into a game changer. And I do not blame that on scheme.

KYPack
12-19-2007, 10:25 PM

I get the "over" and "under" scheme confused, but what I can tell you is that the scheme the Packers play is set up to have Barnett basically free lance, if he feels he can knife through an opening to make a play he can, he has more freedom outside of his base responsibilities, where as the weakside linebacker, is now put into position to play the cut back when the play is run to the strong side of the formation. Hawk has to be more cautious instead of cutting under a block or slicing through openings to make plays, he has to adhere 100% to his responsibilities otherwise guys could be running all day. See Steven Jackson's 47 yard TD romp against the Packer where Poppinga failed to play the cut back correctly and over ran the play.

Don't think the Dep would mind if I answer.

An under is also called an even.

In a 4-3 (which we play) the center is left open.

An over, also called odd, has a man OVER the center.

The Bates/Sanders D plays 95% unders (even). They play Pickett over every once in awhile.

What messes up Hawk is the rest of the alignment. The ends are wide, outside the tackles shoulder. The LB's play sheltered, inside. The idea is to keep the blockers off the backers & lettum make plays. I don't care if the line plays odd or even. I'd like to see Pop on the TE with Hawk outside the DE on the weak side. That would play to both guy's strengths and get them more involved.

What Sanders is doing works, but both players are experienced enuff to try several alignments, so why not try it.

RashanGary
12-19-2007, 10:46 PM
Thanks, KY. That is helpfull. I picture our linebackers sort of bunched together 6 yards off the line of scrimmage with both outside linebackers playing inside the tackles and Barnett in the middle. Then I picture a traditional 4-3 with the weakside backer isolated outside the tackle with a lot of free space. I can see the difference now. I always sort of did a double take when I saw the LB's all together the way they are, but I couldn't pinpoint what was odd about it.

This isn't a good scheme for Hawk racking up a big stat line, but it seems to be working so I'm not going to complain about one guy not getting the numbers he's capable of. bulldog is the only guy really harping on Hawk for not putting up big numbers. He makes plays by keeping contain and keeping blocker occupied, but it's not showing up in the stat line so he's easy to overlook. My observation is that he's usually the first to arrive on the scene and when he arrives, he's meeting the first blocker. He seems to have the responsiblity of keeping outside contain, leaving the free inside tackle for Barnett.

The thing I like about our scheme is that it's unusual. I think it could be troublesome because most defenses seem to run a more traditional 4-3 alignment.

Deputy Nutz
12-19-2007, 10:58 PM
When Bates brought this scheme to Green Bay I remember media from Miami telling us to get ready to be bored. The scheme is very safe, but I don't know if it is going to ever be the defense for the ages.

No wonder why Zach Thomas was so good, everything gets filter to the middle linebacker.

superfan
12-19-2007, 11:37 PM
Right now I'd give Hawk a grade of Solid, assuming you are grading all players in the league on a scale of Elite, Very Good, Solid, Decent, Average. Which of course you are doing. :D

On that scale, I would give Popp a grade of Decent.

I expect Hawk to be Very Good in a year or two, with an outside shot of getting an Elite grade at some point in his career.

EDIT - didn't notice the "Poor" option in the poll at first.

Fritz
12-20-2007, 05:37 AM
I'm a little disappointed in Poppinga. He doesn't make a whole lot of tackles and seems to get pushed out of position fairly often.

Hawk is very solid.

PaCkFan_n_MD
12-20-2007, 07:20 AM
f****** awesome starter!

KYPack
12-20-2007, 07:29 AM
When Bates brought this scheme to Green Bay I remember media from Miami telling us to get ready to be bored. The scheme is very safe, but I don't know if it is going to ever be the defense for the ages.

No wonder why Zach Thomas was so good, everything gets filter to the middle linebacker.

You got it, Bub.

Yeah, Sanders will have to work in other schemes.

The big key to this D is in the backfield. For the Bates D to function, you must have shutdown corners that can play on the island. Our guys are aging & we will have to add schemes when they can't perform.

With our young boys at CB, we would be a good Cover2 Buck defense. That would help a number of our players.

Fritz
12-20-2007, 07:43 AM
I'll bet TT is scouring the game tapes of a young corner from Wyoming Technical Institute as we speak.

The Leaper
12-20-2007, 08:15 AM
Hawk is a very good starter. He just doesn't make many mistakes. The coaches are confident enough to allow him to cover WRs in some instances. That should tell you a lot about just how good Hawk is.

I agree with Nutz that Hawk is handcuffed by the scheme, which is designed to flow everything to the MLB. That means Hawk has to maintain his responsibilities and doesn't have a chance to make as many plays as he probably could. The cutback run by Jackson against Poppinga is a perfect example of a play you just don't see happen on Hawk's side of the field.

Last year, Hawk had better numbers because teams ran at KGB...and Hawk was typically lining up behind KGB. That gave him a chance to make more plays. This year, the DL doesn't have as clear of a weak link against the run, so Hawk's chances have been greatly decreased.

RashanGary
12-20-2007, 08:51 AM
nfldraftcountdown has us taking Aqib Talib, CB. I could see that happening. He's big, strong, fast enough and has good ball skills.

Jerry Tagge
12-20-2007, 10:12 AM
Solid starter even if he played his college ball at Ohio State.

I would have voted greatest LB of all time if he had played his college ball at Michigan.

b bulldog
12-20-2007, 06:46 PM
Just the QB at UM will be voted greatest of alltime :lol:

Deputy Nutz
12-20-2007, 11:38 PM
nfldraftcountdown has us taking Aqib Talib, CB. I could see that happening. He's big, strong, fast enough and has good ball skills.

I really think that the Packers have to address their secondary with the best possible option in the first round. Talib is aggressive but raw, and a little tutoring under Woodson and Harris would go a long way in making him a solid starter for years to come.

He would make a nice tandem will Will Blackmon.

Anyways, again Thompson will take the best player available regardless of position.

Tony Oday
12-21-2007, 01:49 AM
Phenom starter that plays a position that doesnt let him make spectacular plays because he is on a TE all game. I think he is great and will be even better.

Also not just the football thing I would have my son look up to a guy like Hawk. He seems like a solid person as well.

GREAT pick at 5.

Deputy Nutz
12-21-2007, 08:36 AM
Hawk is not on the TE all game, usually when they are in the nickel package he is but when there are three linebackers in the game Hawk usually takes the back that comes out to his side.

HarveyWallbangers
12-21-2007, 10:03 AM
I see bulldog has voted.
:D

Or was it Rastak or Bearman?
:D

b bulldog
12-22-2007, 08:34 AM
With all honesty, I voted solid which I do think he is. He isn't special, just solid. There must be someone else who is afraid to get all of the apologists worked up in here regarding the 4th? best LB in the 06 draft class.

Tarlam!
12-22-2007, 10:35 AM
There must be someone else who is afraid to get all of the apologists worked up in here regarding the 4th? best LB in the 06 draft class.

Sorry Bulldog, I didn't attend Michigan.