PDA

View Full Version : WHO IS THE NFC HOMEFIELD ADVANTAGE MOST IMPORTANT TO ?

Bretsky
12-19-2007, 09:18 PM
I've heard this debated over and over on ESPN
I don't agree with most of the ESPN Experts

Which team is home field advantage most important to ?
Who needs to be at home most to go to the Super Bowl ?

I look forward to the comments and debate

Bretsky
12-19-2007, 09:27 PM
Initial thoughts

Most of the ESPN talking heads all say it's far more important for Dallas. I've heard Mortenson, the Snake, and others strongly give their views

I think if we are going to get to the Super Bowl it's essential that homefield goes through Green Bay.

IMO Dallas is more likely to win in GB then we are in Dallas

Dallas has about the best OL in the NFL; I think they can come into Green Bay and establish a running game to take the pressure off Romo. On Defense, being at Lambeau, a slower field, takes some of the speed of their DL away as opposed to the faster turf in Dallas. I might predict a win in GB; but to me if I'm laying down percentages it's about 53% that Green Bay wins in Lambeau if Romo is healthy

In Dallas I'd put that figure about 35%. Faster track helps TO, and the speed of the Dallas defense against our OL. Favre tends to struggle in Dallas as well. And our OL will be more apt to miss signals and calls and struggle.

I think it's far more important to GB to have home field

Joemailman
12-19-2007, 09:34 PM
Dallas. They thought they had it wrapped up when they beat the Packers a few weeks ago. To lose it now would be a big blow to them. The other thing is that the Packers are simply playing better football than Dallas right now. I think the Packer comeback, even though it fell short, shook Dallas a little bit. They haven't been the same since. The Cowboys need the advantage that comes with playing in front of your home crowd. The Packers, if they have to go into Dallas, will go there with a high degree of confidence. I don't think the same can be said of Dallas coming to Lambeau.

BallHawk
12-19-2007, 09:38 PM
Without a doubt Dallas.

I do not fancy our chances having to go into Dallas. No matter what anybody says, Favre has a problem mentally when he plays in Dallas. He needs to be in Green Bay if we are to have a good shot at going to the Super Bowl.

Also, I agree with all the points Bretsky said. Playing at Lambeau does slow down the Cowboys a little bit.

The most important part of homefield, if we get it, would be rattling Romo. I don't care how poised some say he is (without blonds in attendance) he will crumble in front of a Lambeau crowd. That's something I would guarantee.

oregonpackfan
12-19-2007, 09:39 PM
Dallas. They thought they had it wrapped up when they beat the Packers a few weeks ago. To lose it now would be a big blow to them. The other thing is that the Packers are simply playing better football than Dallas right now. I think the Packer comeback, even though it fell short, shook Dallas a little bit. They haven't been the same since. The Cowboys need the advantage that comes with playing in front of your home crowd. The Packers, if they have to go into Dallas, will go there with a high degree of confidence. I don't think the same can be said of Dallas coming to Lambeau.

I agree 100% with Joe on this one.

Bretsky
12-19-2007, 09:41 PM
Without a doubt Dallas.

I do not fancy our chances having to go into Dallas. No matter what anybody says, Favre has a problem mentally when he plays in Dallas. He needs to be in Green Bay if we are to have a good shot at going to the Super Bowl.

Also, I agree with all the points Bretsky said. Playing at Lambeau does slow down the Cowboys a little bit.

The most important part of homefield, if we get it, would be rattling Romo. I don't care how poised some say he is (without blonds in attendance) he will crumble in front of a Lambeau crowd. That's something I would guarantee.

I agree 100% with BH on this one

MadtownPacker
12-19-2007, 09:45 PM
It's called homefield advantage for a reason and hell no! does it favor the cowboys to come to Lambeau for the NFC title. I truly believe that the short passing game will not stall in the bad weather. If Favre gets his groove on it will be a classic. Grant can do what he has been doing doesn't hurt either. I think the whole environment will hurt the cowboys. The cold and the fact the Packers lost the first time is too good of a storyline to ask for. If dallas blows one of the last two and the Pack go 2-0 there is no way star struck romo and his jilted lover TO win the game.

If you want a SuperBowl appearance then you are hoping the same. The odds of winning in dallas with Favre at the helm are jacked up but I guess he has to win one there eventually. I just don't think it is a good idea so winning out is all that matters at this point.

b bulldog
12-19-2007, 09:53 PM
I THINK dALLAS could win in either venue simply because of their Oline and running game as B noted. The Packers would have a better chance of upsetting the Cowboys at home imo because at Dallas the field conditions really favor the best D player on the field(Ware) and Brett plays bad there, as noted to all of the above. Dallas at home with Owens, Crayton, Glenn, Whitten, Barber/Jones and that huge Oline has defeat written all over it for the Packers. Our D would have a difficult time making them punt when they really needed to as in game one.

Freak Out
12-19-2007, 10:01 PM
The Packers need it at home much more that Dallas does. I think the home field helps the D and the psychological factor will hurt the Cowpokes if it is cold as hell.

OS PA
12-19-2007, 10:10 PM
I feel it's more important to Dallas. I know they have been a better road team all season, but I feel that coming to GB in January is a completely different monster to handle.

I just put these stats together, take from them what you will about what kind of team Dallas is at home and on the road.

Dallas

Home - Record - 6-2, PF/PA - 236-167

Offense: Yards, TD/Int(Passing)

Passing: 345 4/1, 339 3/1, 199 2/1, 277 1/0, 293 4/1, 195 2/1, 309 4/1, 214 0/3

Rushing: 142, 171, 99, 128, 75, 174, 105

Defense: Yards Allowed, TD Allowed/TO Forced

438 4/1, 187 0/1, 448 6/1, 196 1/2, 423 2/1, 180 1, 357 3/2, 315 1/0

Away - Record - 6-0, PF/PA - 193-126

Offense: Yards, TD/Int(Passing)

Passing: 186 2/0, 329 2/1, 309 2/5, 324 3/1, 247 4/1, 302 2/0

Rushing:166, 131, 76, 110, 80, 87

Defense: Yards Allowed, TD Allowed/TO Forced

334 2/5, 239 1/4, 229 0/1, 316 2/3, 300 2/3, 390 3

The Leaper
12-20-2007, 08:38 AM
I think Green Bay stands a better chance of beating Dallas in Dallas than Dallas does of beating Green Bay in Green Bay.

I also think there is the factor of momentum...Dallas should have had HFA wrapped up when they beat Green Bay in Dallas. If they wind up having to travel to Lambeau now, it will mean their team is reeling a little bit as they wrap up the season.

So, I think HFA is more important to Dallas right now. If they lost it, it would be a significant choke job.

RashanGary
12-20-2007, 08:54 AM
I think we're going to beat them where every we play.

ahaha
12-20-2007, 08:54 AM
Dallas needs it more.
People talk about how important having a good running game is in cold weather games. It's important because the weather affects the passing game the most. It affects the QB the most. He has to worry about the grip on the ball, the different way the ball flys in the air, and the change in speed with which the recievers run routes(a real difference in timing). If your team has a QB that can be effective in these conditions, you have a serious advantage. Romo has no NFL experience in deep freeze games. We have the most experienced and successful cold weather QB in NFL history.

the_idle_threat
12-20-2007, 09:12 AM
I agree with Joe, Leaper, and OPF. It's more important to Dallas given how badly they have been playing. They have been choking since the Green Bay game, and if they cough up HFA, that means the choke job has gone on. They must turn things around and retain HFA.

I don't buy the assertion that Dallas would have an easier time winning in Green Bay than Green Bay would have in Dallas. I think that part is a wash---either road team would have a disadvantage.

PaCkFan_n_MD
12-20-2007, 09:27 AM
Its equally as important for both teams. Dallas clearly has an advantage in there place and they sure as hell don't want to come to Green Bay. How can you say its more important for Dallas when Brett has never won a game in Dallas? We need this game Green Bay if we want to good shot at the super bowl.

But both Dallas and Green Bay have to get bye their divisional round opponents first lets not forget.

fan4life
12-20-2007, 11:03 AM
I think we're going to beat them where every we play. I agree. It might be a nail-biter in the big "D", but this team has proven that they can play anywhere - as long as they stick to what they do best and don't try to outthink themselves.

BallHawk
12-20-2007, 11:12 AM
I think we're going to beat them where every we play. I agree. It might be a nail-biter in the big "D", but this team has proven that they can play anywhere - as long as they stick to what they do best and don't try to outthink themselves.

I'm not concerned about the team if we went to Dallas, they'll be fine, it's just another stadium for them.

Favre, on the other hand, knows that it is Dallas and Dallas knows that Favre doesn't play well in Dallas. Those INTs against Dallas in November, that's the type we hadn't seen the whole year. Now, I don't know if the gameplan called to go deep, but Favre was off and trying to make a point: that he can play well in Dallas. I fear that the situation may repeat itself if we ended up in Dallas again.

RashanGary
12-20-2007, 11:35 AM
I was thinking that right after the game too, ballhawk. However, after watching the game 5 or 6 times and really focusing on this deep balls (decision and throw), I now believe that Favre only made two really bad decisions. He had Jones but missed the throw. That happens. He had Driver, but Newman made a fantastic play to break it up. The one into triple coverage was absolutely bone headed and the one where he got hit he should have just taken the sack.

The Cowboys got more pressure than I think they will the second time around and teh Packers got less than I think they will the 2nd time around. I'm looking forward to KGB matching up against the big LT. He's prone to getting beat by speed rushers. Woodson will also make a difference on defense. Our ST's also had the worst game of the season and since that game they've been playing lights out.

I hope Dallas thinks that is what they can expect the next time around because if they're not ready, the Packers will come out and punch them in the mouth on offense, defense and ST's and before you know it, the Packers will be marching into the superbowl and the Cowboys, along with all of their knob sucking media memebers, will be sitting around scratching their heads wondering what in the hell just happened.

Green Bud Packer
12-20-2007, 12:36 PM
Dallas can't beat Green Bay in Lambeau and the Pack can't beat the Boys at Texas stadium.

The Pack needs to take care of their own business and win out while Dallas self distructs losing 2 out of the last 3.

I feel the N.F.C. title goes to the home team if Green Bay is playing Dallas.

Carolina_Packer
12-20-2007, 01:02 PM
WHO IS THE NFC HOMEFIELD ADVANTAGE MOST IMPORTANT TO ?

The Packers for sure. It gives them complete confidence to play at Lambeau, and unless the conditions are absolutely miserable and they can't pass, I think we can spread them out, and run with Grant.

The fans at Lambeau are more of a factor than the fans at Texas Stadium. That fan/weather combo, plus the confidence that both give to the Packers, homefield is most important to Green Bay.

swede
12-20-2007, 01:22 PM
Dallas--

Because they will have LOST what they had LOCKED UP and the mojo will have shifted if they have to come to Green Bay. I like stats as much as the next guy but mojo is a powerful force.

The Patriots beat Baltimore about six minutes before the final touchdown in their matchup a few weeks ago--everyone felt the mojo shifting then. Do not underestimate the force of mojo.

sORRY bDOG. pACKERS gOT tHE mOJO wOIKIN'!

Dallas could go down twice before the playoffs.

Bretsky
12-20-2007, 05:23 PM
I think with the OL of Dallas they are better positioned to win at either location.

I think in Dallas their DL is more apt to dominate us on the faster turf.

GB needs the homefield more IMO

gbgary
12-20-2007, 06:53 PM
WHO IS THE NFC HOMEFIELD ADVANTAGE MOST IMPORTANT TO ?

i think it's most important to any team that plays in a dome, warm weather or on artificial turf. dallas gets two out of three.

the_idle_threat
12-21-2007, 01:30 PM
Dallas could go down twice before the playoffs.

I'll settle for once before the playoffs and once during. 8-)

BF4MVP
12-21-2007, 02:53 PM
Sean Salsbury said last night on ESPN that the Packers are better equipped to win in Dallas than the Cowboys are to win here..He said Dallas would want no part of playing at Lambeau in the cold..I agree with him. Dallas needs the home field more..I certainly hope Dallas chokes and the Packers get home field though.

Joemailman
12-21-2007, 06:02 PM
Initial thoughts

Most of the ESPN talking heads all say it's far more important for Dallas. I've heard Mortenson, the Snake, and others strongly give their views

I think if we are going to get to the Super Bowl it's essential that homefield goes through Green Bay.

IMO Dallas is more likely to win in GB then we are in Dallas

Dallas has about the best OL in the NFL; I think they can come into Green Bay and establish a running game to take the pressure off Romo. On Defense, being at Lambeau, a slower field, takes some of the speed of their DL away as opposed to the faster turf in Dallas. I might predict a win in GB; but to me if I'm laying down percentages it's about 53% that Green Bay wins in Lambeau if Romo is healthy

In Dallas I'd put that figure about 35%. Faster track helps TO, and the speed of the Dallas defense against our OL. Favre tends to struggle in Dallas as well. And our OL will be more apt to miss signals and calls and struggle.

I think it's far more important to GB to have home field

I don't buy the notion that Dallas has a clear advantage with the OL/Running Game. Since Ryan Grant was inserted into the starting lineup, the Packers have averaged rushing 115 YPG, and 4.5 YPC. Dallas' numbers for the season are nearly identical. Good but not great. If Dallas' running game was great, they would have been to pound the Packers into submission after taking a 17 point lead in the first game. They didn't.

MOBB DEEP
12-21-2007, 08:44 PM
because of our wr's rac's i wouldnt mind a rematch in D...aint never scared!!!

MOBB DEEP
12-21-2007, 08:58 PM
good point about romo bdog...nuthn can take the place of xperience in high-pressured situations. of course he has the xperience of that debacle in seattle last year but 1 playoff game does not nerves of steel make...even tho VICK DA GREAT sorta wrecked lambeau mystique, romo would be in awe for at least 1 quarter imo

btw, ware is a frickn BEAST!!!

GrnBay007
12-22-2007, 06:50 PM
CZAR: Who will get the No. 1 playoff seed in the NFC? Are the Packers in better shape than the Cowboys?

Howie Long: "I think they are in position. Green Bay walked out of the Dallas game knowing they played poorly and they still had a shot of beating them. They benched guys during that game and after that. If they get home-field advantage, I think it's a big edge for the Packers. I have to think that. We've been up there. It can be horrible. But warm weather teams going to 30 below on a frozen field, that can be rough. Rough on the Cowboys or anybody."

Curt Menefee: "If the Cowboys have to go to Green Bay, the Packers obviously would be favored. But couldn't it help the Cowboys, because they can run the football better than Green Bay? I know they've gone away from that lately, but they do have two good runners."

HL: "The Packers might be able to gash Dallas with the running game like the Lions did. Green Bay doesn't have a great running game, but Ryan Grant isn't bad. And Brett Favre is really used to playing and throwing in bad weather."

Terry Bradshaw: "The Cowboys better beat Carolina or we might be freezing our buns off in Green Bay for the NFC Championship game."

Bretsky
12-23-2007, 11:46 AM
Interesting that ESPN broke this down in Countdown

Emmitt says GB absolutely has to get home field to make the SB
Tom Jackson said it's more important to Dallas
Keyshawn Johnson said Dallas needs homefield to get to the Big Show

As interesting as it was, he said the % of Dallas winning in Green Bay would be the same as the temperature. If it's 33, they have a 33% chance, and if it's -10 they don't have a snowballs chance...etc.

Keyshawn is actually a natural behind the camera; a huge upgrade from Michael Irvin.

b bulldog
12-23-2007, 11:52 AM
Keyshawn and Parcells are a great combo imo. Too bad Bill is leaving. I like the temp, percentage of winning stat.