PDA

View Full Version : Aqib Talib

RashanGary
12-21-2007, 09:17 AM
Named to the AP all american team
Named to the coaches all american team (first KU since 1983)

6'2"
205 lbs
4.5 40 yard dash

last two years:
10 Int's
39 pass break ups

I like that he has 10 interceptions in two years. I like his size. I esspecially like that he was voted to the coaches all american team. I think that says a lot about what those who know think about his game. I think his 4.5ish speed could allow him to drop in the first round so we have a shot at him.

This guy seems like a possiblity, although I'm pretty sure Teddy will suprise the shit out of us come April.

Deputy Nutz
12-21-2007, 09:44 AM
I like the draft, but it is sort of hard to predict what Thompson is going to do in 2008. Seems like a good idea to go after some talented corners that could sit and learn for a year or two, but that doesn't mean it is going to happen. The Hawk pick was pretty much a given at 5 with Mario Williams, and Young off the board, but last years draft was such a crap shoot. The only reason I had to suspect Harrell is because I heard some guy on a sports radio talk show suggest that Thompson really liked him and don't be surprised that the Packers select him.

Packers need to find a linebacker or two, maybe one that could start at SLB, but the depth at that position is really poor, probably worst on the team.

Defensive End, I for see the Packers paying KGB next year but some young talent there would help in the next two years if the Packers choose to cut ties with KGB and save some money.

Offensive line, Colledge is a tackle in this league the Packers would do right by him and themselve with moving him back to left tackle full time. Clifton is doing fine, but reality is he has 2 maybe 3 years left, I think 2 years is his ceiling before he breaks down. If Colledge can exploit his talent at left tackle then I think the position can be shored up once Clifton is done. The guard situation is average at best. Spitz is ok and Coston is really a stop gap player. I don't know if Tauscher will ever move to guard, but he might add a couple years on to his career if he did. The Packers have some younger players like Babre, but he is unproven. The Packers have to add some players here that have the ability to possibly start in 2008.

Running back, Ryan Grant should be considered the starter in 2008, but there is nothing proven behind him. I don't know if free agency or the draft is the way to go with this position. The Packers are already young at running back as it is, but Jackson and Wynn still have to prove they are capable players at least roster material. I won't be surprised if Thompson takes another running back in the top three rounds, and even another later in the draft.

The Leaper
12-21-2007, 09:53 AM
This is a team that still has some depth issues outside of WR and DL. We can use help at TE, OL, RB, LB, DB. As such, I'm guessing Thompson will still approach things very much with a best player available strategy.

Tarlam!
12-21-2007, 10:39 AM
This is year 4 of TT. That is a good thing. Let's review, shall we?

Year 1: A-Rod - TOTAL SURPRISE!!
Year 2: A Hawk - NO BRAINER!!
Year 3: Harrell - TOTAL SURPRISE!!

The patten is clear Rats. We're gonna pick a no brainer!

MJZiggy
12-21-2007, 10:55 AM
Where is there gonna be a no-brainer with the 32nd pick?

Deputy Nutz
12-21-2007, 10:59 AM
This is year 4 of TT. That is a good thing. Let's review, shall we?

Year 1: A-Rod - TOTAL SURPRISE!!
Year 2: A Hawk - NO BRAINER!!
Year 3: Harrell - TOTAL SURPRISE!!

The patten is clear Rats. We're gonna pick a no brainer!

When Rodgers was there at 24 it was a no brainer. I was hoping like hell some other team was going to draft him, but nope, he was a packer as soon as they went on the clock.

Cheesehead Craig
12-21-2007, 11:19 AM
Is Talib a handsy kinda CB like Carroll was? I'm worried about CBs who play like that in college as they can get a way with a lot more of that kind of play there than they can in the pros, that was Carroll's biggest problem.

Tarlam!
12-21-2007, 11:26 AM
When Rodgers was there at 24 it was a no brainer. I was hoping like hell some other team was going to draft him, but nope, he was a packer as soon as they went on the clock.

I agree, but he wasn't on anyone's radar at the beginning of the draft, right? We all thought he'd be gone, so, it was a total surprise.

Zig, at 32 we'll have 5 or so names....one of them will be ours. It won't be a Harrell type pick.

Deputy Nutz
12-21-2007, 11:40 AM

I agree, but he wasn't on anyone's radar at the beginning of the draft, right? We all thought he'd be gone, so, it was a total surprise.

Zig, at 32 we'll have 5 or so names....one of them will be ours. It won't be a Harrell type pick.

I was beginning to think there was a possibility the week of the draft that Rodgers could fall. Alex Smith became the clear cut choice for San Fran and other teams had Smith as the better prospect coming out, why I don't know, most likely because of Rodgers mechanics and being a Tedford QB. Other teams in the draft just didn't need a qb, I figured someone might take him but once Arizona passed on him....

RashanGary
12-21-2007, 11:41 AM
Three things seem most likely to me.

1. A player he really likes drops (similar to Harrell). He will not trade down if he thinks the player is much better than what is left (or at least history and Thompsons explainations would lead us to believe this)

2. There are a few players with similar grades (nothing special slipped). In this senerio he would trade down to a team desperate for a certain position that is willing to give up multiple day one picks for Thompsons 1st rounder.

3. Worst case is if nothing drops and nobody trades up. If this happens, we're stuck with a player that has a second round grade in the 1st round. This will make the needs people happy because with a bunch of players with the same grade, you can just take the one you need most. The quality people (and Ted Thompson) would probably be a little disappointed. Ultimately, I think better players = better team so I'd rather have something good drop even if it's not a big need.

I'm hoping for a stud LT or CB but if that's not the best player then I'm OK with the best of what's left, even if it's a LB, Safety, Guard, Running back, Wide Reciever, DE or whoever else might be there when we pick.

Tarlam!
12-21-2007, 12:10 PM
Three things seem most likely to me.

1. A player he really likes drops (similar to Harrell).

If you'd have said A-Rod, I would've read your post past this point.

Lurker64
12-21-2007, 12:18 PM
Where is there gonna be a no-brainer with the 32nd pick?

We won't be picking 32nd, we'll be picking 31st. The Patriots forfeited their pick in the spygate scandal, so everybody behind them moves up one.

For the record, I like Talib. This is a good spot for him to come into, since he won't be asked to be a solid starter right off the bet and he could use a little seasoning. High reward potential too, at 31. I think we'll pick up a RB or two, but at the earliest in the second round.

Bretsky
12-21-2007, 10:36 PM
1. A player he really likes drops (similar to Harrell).

I don't think Harrell dropped at all; most had him projected to go round one, but he was either drafted about where most projections were or higher than most projected him to go.

Brady Quinn was the one pick who really fell. Other than that in round one most were picked in the range they were expected to go in. From what I read Harrell may have actually went a bit higher than projected, but IMO he was a legit round one pick.

RashanGary
12-21-2007, 11:01 PM
Oh, haha, I meant dropped in TT's eyes. He said after pick 12 he had Harrell targeted. To me that said he had him high on his board, #13 at worst and probably closer to top 10 because I'm sure some guys went that Thompson wouldn't have touched. To me having a guy you had rated higher falling is considered dropping but I'm using Teds scale (as told to us by Ted himself), not Kipers or anyone like that.