PDA

View Full Version : Jenkins Improving

HarveyWallbangers
12-21-2007, 12:06 PM
We need this guy down the stretch. Hopefully, he's over the injuries.

http://www.packersnews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20071221/PKR01/712210681/1989

Jenkins improving:
By Tom Pelissero

If Ryan Pickett's strained groin prevents him from playing Sunday, starting right end Cullen Jenkins probably would play his biggest role this season at defensive tackle.

That might not be a bad thing for Jenkins, who coaches say has played some of his best football this season over the past few weeks, when he's shifted to his old position more and more in part because of season-ending injuries to Johnny Jolly and Colin Cole.

"I think you're seeing Cullen finally coming back to the form that he was," McCarthy said, adding he likes the matchup problems Jenkins (6-2, 303 pounds) creates inside against centers and guards, especially in pass-rushing situations.

In his first full season as a starter, after signing a four-year, $15.84 million contract in February, Jenkins has 42 tackles (27 solo) and a career-high eight passes defended. Though he has only one sack, Jenkins has been credited for with 22 quarterback pressures, tied for second on the team behind Aaron Kampman's 34.

Perhaps most important, he's healthier than he was while battling wrist, rib, ankle and knee injuries earlier this season. He hasn't been on the injury report since the week before the Packers played Carolina on Nov. 18.

"We expect (all) our guys to be the sack guys," defensive coordinator Bob Sanders said. "But certainly, he's caused a lot of problems for our opposition in making the ball come out early or high. He's had decent pressure the past couple weeks."

LL2
12-21-2007, 01:30 PM
I really hope he turns it on the last couple games and in the playoffs when it counts the most. I have been disapointed in his play this year (is this the wrong thread to write that?).

HarveyWallbangers
12-21-2007, 01:47 PM
For me, I think "disappointing" is the wrong word. When an injury takes your best asset as a pass rusher (quick first step), it makes it difficult. It's not like he's not trying. He hasn't been horrible. He's still been a good run defender. I'm disappointed that he got injured.

deake
12-21-2007, 02:08 PM
He has looked a lot faster lately, especially in the Ram game. But as he has improved, Williams seems to have disappeared. Is he hurt? He better get cutting if he wants that big payday.

b bulldog
12-21-2007, 09:36 PM
he could be considered a disappointment because of injury even though it is not his fault imo.

RashanGary
12-21-2007, 09:38 PM
he could be considered a disappointment because of injury even though it is not his fault imo.

bulldog, the eternal ray of sunshine :lol:

What about this 12-2 season isn't a disappointment to you? I'm just curious because everything is either doom, gloom or a combination of the two with you lately.

b bulldog
12-21-2007, 09:57 PM
My gripe is that when we are 12-2, Dallas is still better than us. Once the preseason ended, most predicted great things for 77. He hasn't came close to doing what many thought he would do and it is most likely because of injury. With that being said, you would have to call him a disappointment because of injury.

b bulldog
12-21-2007, 09:58 PM
Williams is nothing more than a rotation guy that will be grossly overpaid in the offseason. He can't do it on and down to down basis. His results clearly show this.

b bulldog
12-21-2007, 09:59 PM
12-2 and realistic Nick

Tony Oday
12-22-2007, 12:21 AM
Dallas is NOT better than us when we are healthy. There is no way the cowgirls have a chance against us with Harris and Woodson in the lineup.

Patler
12-22-2007, 01:24 AM
Good players find ways to be productive , even when they are hurt. Jenkins has been dinged up, but really hasn't even missed a whole lot of practice (I think). I'm disappointed that he hasn't played better, in spite of the injuries. The Milwaukee Journal stated this:

His defensive line coaches, Carl Hairston and Robert Nunn, have pushed him to play through the pain and to understand that he can be a productive player, even if he's not 100%. Jenkins, who has one sack this year and 16 quarterback hits, has had trouble getting through it, in part because he's never been hurt before.

b bulldog
12-22-2007, 08:27 AM
I see your point but imo, his injuries took away his explosiveness but weren't bad enough to take him off of the field.