PDA

View Full Version : Favorite Packers vs Bears games

Jerry Tagge
12-21-2007, 05:03 PM
There are some Bears-Packers games that bring back great memories. Favre throwing 5 TD's on a bad ankle in 1995, Chester Marcol returning his own blocked FG for a TD in OT in 1980, the Majkowski instant replay game in 1989, and the 40-3 blowout at Lambeau in 1994 are just a few.

One game that many don't remember but is still one of my favorites was the 1981 opener at Chicago. Packers had lost the previous December 61-7 at Chicago (which was also my first Bears-Packers game in person). Packers were definitely looking for payback.

Packers opened up the game by taking the opening kickoff and putting together a drive that ended with a 2 yard TD run by Eddie Lee Ivery. There was a bad snap on the PAT but holder Ray Stachowicz (also the punter) hit LB Rich Wingo for the PAT to put the Packers up 7-0. There was no 2-point conversion back then.

Packers defense was tough as they were able to bottle up Walter Payton, but the offense struggled against the Bears defense. Packers had to settle for a 7-0 lead at the end of the 1st quarter.

Packers were able to put together a drive just before halftime. Gerry Ellis scored on a 5 yard run but the extra point was blocked. Packers led 13-0 at halftime.

Bears opened the 3rd quarter with a drive that ended with an 11 yard TD run by Payton. Bob Thomas made the PAT but there was a penalty on the Bears. Thomas missed on the second try so the Packers led 13-6. Neither team would do anything offensively until the end of the quarter when the Packers had another drive going but it stalled at the Bears 16 yard line.

Jan Stenerud kicked a 33 yard FG to start the 4th quarter to put the Packers up 16-6. Bears added a 25 yard Thomas FG to cut the Packers lead to 16-9.

Bears had the ball with one last chance to tie the game and force OT. Bears QB Vince Evans led them down to the Packers 1 yard line with less than 1:00 to play. Bears gave the ball on 3rd down to Matt Suhey instead of Payton. Suhey appeared to score to give the Bears a chance to tie the game. However, the ball was knocked loose and Packers safety Johnnie Gray recovered at the Bears 2 yard line. The officials huddled to try to figure out the right call. Packers were given the ball after a short conference and ran out the clock to walk away with a 16-9 victory and get some revenge for last year's debacle.

Packers ran for 193 yards. Gerry Ellis led the Packers with 17 carries for 94 yards. Eddie Lee Ivery had 14 carries for 72 yards but was lost for the season when he twisted his knee in the 3rd quarter. His foot got stuck in a seam in the Soldier Field artificial turf as he was trying to make a cut. He suffered the same injury in the exact same way his rookie year in 1979.

Packers held Payton to 81 yards rushing in 19 carries. Bears actually had more passing yards than the Packers, 161-153. There were 7 turnovers in the game. Packers lost 2 fumbles and 1 interception while the Bears lost 4 fumbles, including the fumble by Suhey that sealed the win for the Packers.

MJZiggy
12-21-2007, 05:58 PM
There's one, I can't remember when it was the way you guys can, but it was in Illinois in the pouring down rain and we absolutely destroyed them. I recall it being a fun game to watch...

Jimx29
12-21-2007, 06:49 PM
Last years ass-kicking in week 17 is one of the best for me.

gbgary
12-21-2007, 06:51 PM
lot's of them to choose from. the instant replay game pops into my mind first though.

ya know...there was a game in the '60s i remember the end of. i was a kid and i remember crying cuz the bears won on "free kick" at the end of the game. hated them ever since. :D

Carolina_Packer
12-21-2007, 08:42 PM
There's one, I can't remember when it was the way you guys can, but it was in Illinois in the pouring down rain and we absolutely destroyed them. I recall it being a fun game to watch...

1994 Week 9 Mon October 31 W 33-6

Here's a link to the game summary:

http://www.packersnews.com/favre/articles/favre_24327523.shtml

HarveyWallbangers
12-21-2007, 09:00 PM
Favre ran for a 40 yard TD in that game. The Packers wore their throwback uniforms. Rain was coming down sideways.

MJZiggy
12-21-2007, 09:05 PM
This is why I love you people...

cpk1994
12-22-2007, 12:25 AM
at Chicago in 95, Favre to Brooks 99 yards as Pack wins 27-24.

Iron Mike
12-22-2007, 07:20 AM

Ken Ruettgers decorated his helmet for that Halloween game.
http://chancemichaels.tripod.com/packers_images/ruttgers_jackolantern.jpg

What I remember is that the Bears had a Hall-Of-Fame induction ceremony at halftime.......all while the Pack was spanking them 21-0 at the time. 8-)

Iron Mike
12-22-2007, 07:27 AM
Nobody wants to vote for the Charles Martin "Punky QB" body-slam game??

http://www.lifeinlegacy.com/2005/0205/MartinCharles.jpg

Iron Mike
12-22-2007, 07:40 AM
How 'bout Sep. 27th, 1959:

After a 1-10-1 season in 1958, new head coach Vincent T. Lombardi beats the Bears 9-6 to begin his tenure with the Packers. Lombardi would eventually garner a 13-5 record against the Bears' head coach George Halas.

http://www.packertime.com/imgs/ptph378.jpg

The Shadow
12-22-2007, 10:36 AM
Chester Marcol's fieldgoal attempt batted by Alan Page right back into his arms - and he scampers around the left side for a game winning td.

MOBB DEEP
12-23-2007, 02:19 PM
...NOT THIS ONE!!!

MadtownPacker
12-23-2007, 02:56 PM
THAT'S FOR DAMN SURE!!

BEARMAN
12-23-2007, 03:00 PM
12-23-07

Da BEARS 35

packers 7

GREAT Game !

Iron Mike
12-24-2007, 07:55 AM
12-23-07

Da BEARS 35

packers 7

GREAT Game !

Yeah.........congrats on your 6-10 season following a SB loss. :roll:

MOBB DEEP
11-15-2008, 02:44 PM
def robert brooks 99 yard td

gbgary
11-15-2008, 05:05 PM
i've seen a ton but none, to me, was more satisfying than the instant replay game. majic was magic.

damn it. i just posted not realizing this was an old thread. good thing i posted the same thing the second time. :lol:

red
11-15-2008, 05:38 PM

http://www.packersnews.com/favre/articles/favre_24327523.shtml

yup, the halloween game. thats mine too. i love watching games in those conditions.

was that the game where the guy jumped out of the stands and into the tunnel to grab that extra point?

what about the game with brooks 99 yard td from favre?

Zool
11-15-2008, 05:41 PM
The Instant Replay Game (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Instant_Replay_Game#The_instant_replay_game)

On November 5, 1989, the Packers beat the Bears 14-13, but not without controversy. Don Majkowski led the Packers to a comeback and a game-winning touchdown pass to Sterling Sharpe with only seconds left to play. Initially the play was called a touchdown, but line judge Jim Quirk had called a penalty on Majkowski for being beyond the line of scrimmage when he threw the pass. With a nervous and tense crowd at Lambeau Field, the call went up to the instant replay official, Bill Parkinson. Several minutes later the call came down and the touchdown was awarded as recorded by instant replay. The Lambeau faithful and Packer players erupted with joy because it marked the first time since 1984 that the Packers had beaten their long-time rivals. The Packers would later beat the Bears again in the season.

MOBB DEEP
11-15-2008, 06:28 PM
The Instant Replay Game (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Instant_Replay_Game#The_instant_replay_game)

On November 5, 1989, the Packers beat the Bears 14-13, but not without controversy. Don Majkowski led the Packers to a comeback and a game-winning touchdown pass to Sterling Sharpe with only seconds left to play. Initially the play was called a touchdown, but line judge Jim Quirk had called a penalty on Majkowski for being beyond the line of scrimmage when he threw the pass. With a nervous and tense crowd at Lambeau Field, the call went up to the instant replay official, Bill Parkinson. Several minutes later the call came down and the touchdown was awarded as recorded by instant replay. The Lambeau faithful and Packer players erupted with joy because it marked the first time since 1984 that the Packers had beaten their long-time rivals. The Packers would later beat the Bears again in the season.

thanks Z

im changn my mind; that was the best. hard to blieve it had been a FIVE year drought

gbgary
11-15-2008, 07:25 PM
we dominated the bears for several seasons, after that game, until recently. the last two or three years it's been all bears. let's hope the Pack can start another long domination period starting tomorrow.

Zool
11-15-2008, 07:43 PM

thanks Z

im changn my mind; that was the best. hard to blieve it had been a FIVE year drought

First game I ever saw at Lambeau. The rumor says the ref got on the phone and asked how many state troopers they could get to the stadium in the next few minutes if he overturned the call.

cpk1994
11-16-2008, 06:33 AM

thanks Z

First game I ever saw at Lambeau. The rumor says the ref got on the phone and asked how many state troopers they could get to the stadium in the next few minutes if he overturned the call.The other note to this game is that the Bears are so bitter about the game, it still carries an asterisk next to it in the media guide to this day.

MOBB DEEP
11-16-2008, 04:56 PM
this one's up there

Badgerinmaine
11-16-2008, 06:48 PM
Chester Marcol's fieldgoal attempt batted by Alan Page right back into his arms - and he scampers around the left side for a game winning td.
THAT is one of my favorite Packer memories of all time.
http://www.beckett.com/images/pgitems/222880201.jpg

cpk1994
11-16-2008, 06:49 PM
I'd like to add today's game to the list.

Badgerinmaine
11-16-2008, 06:53 PM

http://www.bearsstillsuck.com/chif.gif

Joemailman
09-13-2015, 01:45 PM
So far, today's game is not on the list.

KalamazooPackerFan
09-13-2015, 05:46 PM
So far, today's game is not on the list.

Even with the win it's still not on the list, though Matthews interception maybe on a list of great plays against the Bears. Both games last year were alot more fun to watch.

Pugger
09-13-2015, 08:58 PM

Are you thinking of the Halloween game at night when they retired Payton's jersey?

Pugger
09-13-2015, 08:59 PM
Nobody wants to vote for the Charles Martin "Punky QB" body-slam game??

http://www.lifeinlegacy.com/2005/0205/MartinCharles.jpg

Not really. It made us look like a bunch of punks.

Pugger
09-13-2015, 08:59 PM

I was there! Wins were few and far between back then.

Pugger
09-13-2015, 09:00 PM
...NOT THIS ONE!!!

All wins against the Bears are sweet. Our D had a bad day but Godgers was wonderful. Clay saved the day too.

Joemailman
09-13-2015, 09:01 PM
Are you thinking of the Halloween game at night when they retired Payton's jersey?

I don't think it was Payton's jersey. I think it was Sayers and Butkus.

Pugger
09-13-2015, 09:01 PM

I was at this game too. :-)

Pugger
09-13-2015, 09:03 PM
I don't think it was Payton's jersey. I think it was Sayers and Butkus.

Okay, I wasn't sure...