julius Jones
Justin Smith
Marcus trufant
Pat Crayton
Michael Turner
Gabril Wilson
Jamal Lewis
LJ Smith

Julius Jones wouldn't be a bad combo with Grant and Trufant would be an excellent move but he will be too damn expensive for TT.

Partial
12-21-2007, 10:19 PM
I don't think 2/3 of those guys are going to be available.

Rastak
12-21-2007, 10:23 PM
I don't think 2/3 of those guys are going to be available.

Yea, I would agree....nice list though.

b bulldog
12-21-2007, 10:26 PM
Of the top 10, I only see Moss, feneca, Samuel and maybe Briggs being on the open market. Everyone thinks that the Pats will take a plAYER with their probable top 4 pick but I see them trading out so they can accumulate more picks cause they will most likey lose Moss, Samuel or Stallworth in the offseason. My bet is that they lose Moss and Samuel.

vince
12-21-2007, 10:44 PM
Bretsky will probably disagree with everything I say here...

There's a lot of money out there next offseason. It'd be great to dream about TT sneaking in to nab a surprise value guy that others happen to not be going after, like Pickett a couple years ago (Dallas Clark would be HUGE).

Given the money in play though, I can't see TT matching (nor should he, IMO) what the other GM's will undoubtedly be throwing around as a result of the pressure from short-term oriented fans.

TT won't "go there" unless noone else is playing. Given the Packers' youth and talent, that's a strategy that makes perfect sense for this team. I'm seeing dozens of contracts the team could want to re-up in the next three years.

Reaching in the free agent market just doesn't make sense, IMO. It's easy to say, "Let's go for the gold." I believe the Packers are in position to be able do that every year. The question now is "will they screw it up?"

The most likely way for the answer to that question to end up being "yes" is if TT overpays for underperforming players.

The additional pieces this team needs next year can easily be added cheaply through the draft. No need to be desperate by any stretch.

Build strengths. Draft talent. Maintain financial flexibility. Don't reach (and especially don't be wrong) in free agency. Be a perenial NFL powerhouse.

RashanGary
12-21-2007, 11:19 PM
Great post, Vince.

There is a lot that goes into the "build strengths" part of your post, but ulitmately I think this is the attitude that Thompson has that gives him an edge over many GM's. Think back to NE of the last 5 years. Every year they have had some huge weakness (DB's, RB, WR's, ect. . ). It wasn't the strength of their weakest link that brought them 3 championships, it was the overall strength of their team assembled by being oppertuinstic rather than desperate for multiple years. They took a shot now, but the blueprint that assembled their dynasty was oppertunism and building to strengths rather than being affraid of weaknesses.

BF4MVP
12-21-2007, 11:28 PM
Bretsky will probably disagree with everything I say here...

There's a lot of money out there next offseason. It'd be great to dream about TT sneaking in to nab a surprise value guy that others happen to not be going after, like Pickett a couple years ago (Dallas Clark would be HUGE).

Given the money in play though, I can't see TT matching (nor should he, IMO) what the other GM's will undoubtedly be throwing around as a result of the pressure from short-term oriented fans.

TT won't "go there" unless noone else is playing. Given the Packers' youth and talent, that's a strategy that makes perfect sense for this team. I'm seeing dozens of contracts the team could want to re-up in the next three years.

Reaching in the free agent market just doesn't make sense, IMO. It's easy to say, "Let's go for the gold." I believe the Packers are in position to be able do that every year. The question now is "will they screw it up?"

The most likely way for the answer to that question to end up being "yes" is if TT overpays for underperforming players.

The additional pieces this team needs next year can easily be added cheaply through the draft. No need to be desperate by any stretch.

Build strengths. Draft talent. Maintain financial flexibility. Don't reach (and especially don't be wrong) in free agency. Be a perenial NFL powerhouse.
QFT..Although I'm not sure we would need Dallas Clark, Donald Lee is pretty damn good.

HarveyWallbangers
12-21-2007, 11:43 PM
It would be nice to have a two TE set comparable to Jackson and Chmura. Imagine the nightmares this offense would cause if the could go to Driver, Jennings, Robinson, Jones, and Martin on one play and then the next play they could run a one back set with Clark and Lee at TE and Driver and Jennings at WR.

Tony Oday
12-22-2007, 12:18 AM
There is not one guy on that list that would really make me go, damn that is awesome we signed him.

Maybe Sanders but damn I hate signing a saftey from another team because they are a product of the other three in the secondary.

OK Turner is a pimp...

RashanGary
12-22-2007, 12:27 AM
Deleted because it's too much like my next post.

RashanGary
12-22-2007, 12:42 AM
Ultimately, I think a GM is largely someone who is experienced enough to be aware of the pitfalls and limits talent evaluation so as to not overrate his own abilty,

who has the abilty to take his talent evaluation and use it in a way that takes into account a budget (and all of the basic economic concepts that apply to a budget like oppertunity cost or a relative gain),

who is oppertunistic in a way that takes advantage of other peoples mistakes. Maybe the GM recognizes that kickers are overpaid or linebackers are underpaid. This GM would be able to go against conventional wisdom to give himself an advantage. I think the draft pick value chart is another thing that is greatly skewed in the favor of the person trading down (in most circumstances, although talent evaluation is paramount here as well)

I think Ted Thompson's experience in finance gave him a solid base in economics. Because of the budget and the draft, I think those concepts can be readily applied and with this he has an edge. On top of that, he has a lot of NFL front office expereince and appears to be a very intelligent person, so I think he learned lessons that might be lost by many people. Just listening to him, I think he is very observant and aware of mistakes and successes. I think that experience gives him an edge over GM's like Sherman. I think Ted Thompson is a great GM. Even before 12-2, I had was completely impressed by many of the things he said because as simple as they were, they all seemed to consistantly based in wisdom, oppertunism and humility (knowing what he doesn't know for the most part). Anyway, your post was so similar to how I think, Vince, that I had to go into my oppertunism, budget speal :) Thanks a lot, you just wasted about 100 non suspecting peoples time.

Speaking of intellignet men with finiance backrounds, Mark Murphy seems like a guy with similarly applicable experience. I could see (TT and MM) as a match made in 'NFL football team building' heaven if MM can apply basic economic principles to the markets by using Ted's experience and knowledge to get a base and then allowing Ted to put the concepts into motion with his experience and skill getting it done right.

Both Ted and Mark Murphy seem like humble, intelligent men. I could see Ted being open to workign with Murphy (unlike the way Sherman cold shouldered Ted when he came in) and I could see Murphy knowing his limits and just giving ideas rather than suggestions or directions (because he should know Ted has more experience to find simple oversights to what might have otherwise been a brilliant idea.) Again, I could see them being a good team, but that is based of very limited knowledge. It's really only a feeling or a hunch based on listening to both guys talk in press conferences and knowing their backrounds.

Merlin
12-22-2007, 01:35 AM
The Packers FA market will depend solely on #4. If Favre returns, look for minimal movement in FA. If Favre retires, look for movement at key positions like LT, either guard, running back and WR. Yeah I said it, WR. Bringing in a big name WR with Rodgers takes the pressure off of Rodgers. If Dallas Clark is available I look for the Packers to make a legitimate run at him. Bubba, Lee and Clark? Unstoppable with our young WR core, only if Brett comes back. With Rodgers we need a big name to take the camera off of him. Clark isn't big enough. Moss won't be available, the Patriots will sign him and let Stallworth retire.

If Thompson is anything he is predictable. If Thompson is for real, look for the Packers to take a QB in the first or second round if #4 hangs em up. If not, look for another defensive player, hopefully a CB in the first round. If Thompson does another "I am smarter then you" pick like Harrell, then he needs to be relieved of his GM duties.

Although the jury is out on Harrell with many posters here, when he has played it hasn't been anything stellar and he has been oft injured with small things this season. He is nothing but a walking injury and his less then mediocre play has more then shown that he is a first round bust. No player who is looking to enter the NFL should be in worse shape then Harrell was when he came to us. Sure, he injured his bicep, but he has another arm and two legs. Being out of shape is inexcusable for any player who was drafted let alone in the first round. He has made an impact on some people here, why I have no idea. They forgive his mistakes and blame them on him being a rookie and spooge over his 1-2 tackle performances. DT is NOT a hard position in the NFL. You take up space, period. He has fallen short this season in that position. This week who knows, he may have a hang nail and can't play. That is a testament to how his short career in the NFL has gone. Like it or not, Harrell is turning into Thompson's Jamal Reynolds. The only difference? Jamal Reynolds played the season before he entered the NFL, Harrell play 1-2 games. Thompson > Sherman? Don't bet on it.

the_idle_threat
12-22-2007, 02:32 AM
:lol: :lol: :lol: Classic!

Partial
12-22-2007, 04:02 AM
Why would Dante Stallworth, a 2002ish draft pick, retire? He was picked 6th out of Tennessee in 2002 or 2003 I believe.

b bulldog
12-22-2007, 08:20 AM
Good post merlin, I agree that much depends on Brett. Stallworth retiring, where did that come from?

retailguy
12-22-2007, 08:22 AM
Why would Dante Stallworth, a 2002ish draft pick, retire? He was picked 6th out of Tennessee in 2002 or 2003 I believe.

It was 13th in 2002. Picked ahead of javon walker.

Why would he retire? Because Merlin thinks he cannot play. And Merlin is NEVER wrong. :P

Bretsky
12-22-2007, 09:55 AM
I'm sure Merlin meant NE will let him go

I know one thing about Free Agency. I will approach is much like I did this season.

I must admit I've enjoyed this season more than almost any; much of that was due to me stepping back with my fan like emotions and just figuring our chances of winning it all are so limited I'm just going to take the emotions out of it and sit back and watch and enjoy.

Once I did that I also think I became a more laid back poster

I will have absolutely no expectations whatsoever for TT going into free agency. Anything he does will be a bonus from my end.

Many argued that last year when we were still rebuilding was not the time to make one or two key signings because we were too far away from contention. For those who argued this, it seems to me that they should be all about TT taking a chance this year.

I think TT has done a great job deepening our level of talent via the draft and will continue his trade down style to keep doing so. I think he's setting our quality of talent up pretty well so we should be decent for many years.

I still wonder whether he's too much of a tight ass to play the free agent game; we surely have the money still sitting there on our cap for this year unused. Along with that I still wonder if the opportunity arose if he's be willing to take that chance some need to put us over the top.

Time will tell; like I said I'll enter free agency with no expectations at all so anything will be a bonus.

And I sure as hell won't attach TT signing free agents to a signature as long as I live.

TennesseePackerBacker
12-22-2007, 09:55 AM
:lol: The Harrell pick has turned out phenomenal so far, are you kidding me? The Packers would be down to 2 starters right now and probably a midseason cut or something to fill-in. With Pickett now getting injured having Harrell is invaluable.

Harrell was probably the smartest pick of the top half of that draft, most of the posters here are just too blind to see that right now. Harrell is going in holding his own and not getting made to look silly, him being "solid" or "unspectacular" is a great sign right now. I wish I could find the statistics for the percentage of D-line 1st rounders that take a year or two before they even show a flash of anything, ex. Mario Williams from last year, Dwayne Robertson a few before that.

Bretsky
12-22-2007, 09:59 AM
:lol: The Harrell pick has turned out phenomenal so far, are you kidding me? The Packers would be down to 2 starters right now and probably a midseason cut or something to fill-in. With Pickett now getting injured having Harrell is invaluable.

Harrell was probably the smartest pick of the top half of that draft, most of the posters here are just too blind to see that right now. Harrell is going in holding his own and not getting made to look silly, him being "solid" or "unspectacular" is a great sign right now. I wish I could find the statistics for the percentage of D-line 1st rounders that take a year or two before they even show a flash of anything, ex. Mario Williams from last year, Dwayne Robertson a few before that.

Completely disagree; I don't think we can classify it as a bust but certainly not phenominal.

TT expected Harrell to step into that rotation; at the beginning of the season he wasn't good enough to put a uniform on. Well below average talent like Colin Cole was outperforming him.

The only reason we use his name now is because we have several players injured. He's not playing at the level of a starter. But we're out of options.

I hope he develops over time; but up to this point I think it's fair for most to be at least slightly disappointed.

Scott Campbell
12-22-2007, 10:01 AM
If Thompson does another "I am smarter then you" pick like Harrell, then he needs to be relieved of his GM duties.

I believe the "I am smarter than you pick" reference was made about Jones. Though I suppose that fact doens't conveniently fit into your latest I HATE TED lunacy.

]{ilr]3
12-22-2007, 10:02 AM
Bob Sanders would be a great addition. I dont see how Indy can afford him after paying Manning, Harrison and Freeny!

Scott Campbell
12-22-2007, 10:03 AM
TT expected Harrell to step into that rotation...

Source?

Bretsky
12-22-2007, 10:06 AM

Source?

Go back to packers.com and listen to his post draft interviews

TennesseePackerBacker
12-22-2007, 10:08 AM

Source?

I'm pretty sure TT expected Harrell to be a more long-term prospect, especially after only playing 3 games his senior year and being out of football for that long. Imagine what kind of shape the player has to get in to after that long of a layoff, and to top it off he's a lineman.

Deputy Nutz
12-22-2007, 10:10 AM
Defensive tackle is a position where guys coming to the NFL from college usually struggle their first couple years. In college they can usually beat guys strictly on athletic ability or on strength. Technique is so important in the NFL on the defensive line. They have to be retaught everything. Harrell does well until he allows an offensive linemen to get inside him and lock on his shoulder pads. He doesn't get his hands extended on a regular basis. NFL coaching will help him with that. Harrell has as much talent as any defensive tackle on the roster, he just needs to take to coaching in the off-season and work on his health.

Anyways, Dallas Clark might be available on the free agent market, although Manning likes him. Indy has been developing their other tight ends so they might not franchise him. I like his ability to catch the ball, but in Indy's system he is freed up because of the two outside receivers and the slot back. He hardly ever lines up next to the offensive tackle, and he is a questionable blocker if he is asked to do so on the line. He is ok when he is split out and has to stalk block a safety or a defensive back.

I would take a hard look at some of the younger corners from the Patriots. G. Wilson A. Samuel.

LJ Smith has been hurt a lot, and would be a nice risk reward type player, pay him a little and he might perform at a pro bowl level which his talent should allow.

Scott Campbell
12-22-2007, 10:12 AM
Thompson > Sherman? Don't bet on it.

Dude - get a grip on reality. You act like this is still in question. It's over. Thompon > Sherman. Hell, Millen > Sherman.

Bretsky
12-22-2007, 10:16 AM

Source?

I'm pretty sure TT expected Harrell to be a more long-term prospect, especially after only playing 3 games his senior year and being out of football for that long. Imagine what kind of shape the player has to get in to after that long of a layoff, and to top it off he's a lineman.

That could very well be; I won't argue fans expect immediate contributions from their first round selections. That might not have been fair to Harrell since our DL was a team strength. I'm kind of expecting GB to lose Corey Williams; if that happens we'll need Harrell to develop for next year

Scott Campbell
12-22-2007, 10:16 AM

Source?

Sorry B, I call BS until you can pinpoint a quote. Otherwise your assertation of Ted's mindset about the pick is nothing more than speculation. I'm sure he hoped Harrell would step into the rotation. But this line was deep, and cracking it would be no easy task.

RashanGary
12-22-2007, 10:26 AM
meant to edit :roll:

Bretsky
12-22-2007, 10:42 AM

Source?

Sorry B, I call BS until you can pinpoint a quote. Otherwise your assertation of Ted's mindset about the pick is nothing more than speculation. I'm sure he hoped Harrell would step into the rotation. But this line was deep, and cracking it would be no easy task.

It's fine to call BS anytime you want; I really don't care enough to go Net Hunting for something that really doesn't mean a whole lot

Happy Holidays,
B

PackerPro42
12-23-2007, 11:48 AM
How awesome would Briggs be in a Packer uniform? That would definitely solidify our LB core and also get rid of "the stormin' Mormon" from the starting line-up.

b bulldog
12-23-2007, 11:51 AM
Briggs would cost too much $$

RashanGary
12-23-2007, 11:58 AM
Nnamdi Asomugha and Marcus Trufant would be great replacements for the grey beards on the outside. Both are capable of playing bump and run.

We're a year premature though. We still should be able to get at least a year more out of Harrs and Woodson. If we dont' have anything developed after next year, I think you start considering paying for one because they are hard to find.

b bulldog
12-23-2007, 11:59 AM
Harris I think is closer to being done than 21 is. I think Blackmon has a future but his injuries scare me a bit and i do like Williams. Trufant was drafted by TT so that might be a good fit.

Bretsky
12-23-2007, 12:03 PM
Nnamdi Asomugha and Marcus Trufant would be great replacements for the grey beards on the outside. Both are capable of playing bump and run.

We're a year premature though. We still should be able to get at least a year more out of Harrs and Woodson. If we dont' have anything developed after next year, I think you start considering paying for one because they are hard to find.

Very true

TT could still sign Williams or get Grant locked up for down the road

People have mentioned Haynesworth; he's not going anywhere IMO. He'll get franchised. The Titans can't afford to lose him. If he goes unrestricted he'll break the bank.

I don't think TT will spend much money on CB as long as Harris and Woodsen are here though

esoxx
12-23-2007, 02:51 PM
Harrell was listed as a starter going into camp and certainly was projected to at least be in the rotation.
And Tennessee, you've had a boner for Harrell all along since he played for your favorite college team. Calling him a phenomenal pick only certifies your homerism towards him. I would call Adrian Peterson a phenomenal pick, not Justin Harrell.

I always have to laugh when posters give over the top glowing reports about players drafted from their college team. Yeah, they see them play more but their opinion is tainted and usually exaggerated to the positive side. Painfully obvious here.