PDA

View Full Version : Tom Brady - Automatic for MVP?

Patler
12-22-2007, 01:44 AM
Tom Brady already won the MVP award because of the first half of the season, but have you noticed that his stats have come back to reality? For all the talk about him shattering all the season records based on his first 8 or 9 games, it has certainly changed. Unfortunately, he became the automatic vote for many because of what they THOUGHT he would do for the season. The season is 16 games, and I wish everyone would remember it.

I'm not suggesting he isn't a worthy candidate, but look where he stands right now:

completion % - 69.2% (Brees is at 68.7%, Favre is 67.1%). Remember people suggesting he would set seasons records for %?

yards - 4,235 (Favre is at 3819, and of course missed a good portion of one game.)

TDs - 45 I'll concede that's a lot. But remember all those predictions of shattering the season record, maybe getting 60? He'll probably break the record, but it's not a certainty.

The biggest thing he has going is his TD/interception ratio, which is extremely good.

Brady will win the MVP, and he will be worthy. But his season, while great, is not as outrageous as many thought it would be.

Tarlam!
12-22-2007, 02:42 AM
Favre should get this award, and not based on stats.

the_idle_threat
12-22-2007, 02:51 AM
Peyton Manning should get the award, based on his commercials.

b bulldog
12-22-2007, 08:25 AM
My problem with Brett and the MVP is that during the Cowboys game, the backup was the QB that got us back in the game. Brett also playedvery poorly in that game.
i DO THINK IT IS CRAZY TO THINK THAT 45 td'S, 6 INTERCEPTIONS, 4235 yards, a QB rating of 120 and leading his team to 14-0 through 14 games, is not a shoe in for the MVP. Come on now, if these were Brett's stats, you'd laugh anyone off of this forum if they told you he isn't wothy.

HarveyWallbangers
12-22-2007, 09:05 AM
I agree with Bulldog here. Brady is slowing down, but still playing at an incredible rate. His stats in the first half were out of this world. I bet his stats in the second half are still damn good.

Tarlam!
12-22-2007, 09:08 AM
No question. Brady has once in a lifetime stats. But, is he the MVP to his team like Favre is to his?

Which of them has created more value for their respective team?

If I answer that question, it is Favre. I also believe, stats aside, that is the most pertinent question when deciding on the league MVP.

Scott Campbell
12-22-2007, 09:14 AM
The Superbowl MVP is still up for grabs, and that one would dwarf winning the league MVP.

packers11
12-22-2007, 09:18 AM
yea remember Payton Manning winning that last year... :roll:

Bulldog I think the season MVP is going to be Hawk... I don't know about you, but he is a STUD :lol:

the_idle_threat
12-22-2007, 10:09 AM
Favre already has 3 MVPs. He needs a Super Bowl MVP to round out his collection. I'd rather he get that one.

gbgary
12-22-2007, 11:00 AM
My problem with Brett and the MVP is that during the Cowboys game, the backup was the QB that got us back in the game.

that's cuz mm scaled the offense back to reality...where it should have been from the get-go.

i know....i know. :roll:

Tarlam!
12-22-2007, 11:31 AM
To add to my case for Brett:

Mike Vandermause column: Favre is primary reason Packers are 12-2

But McCarthy, chemistry and play of budding stars also are factors

By Mike Vandermause

Why have the Green Bay Packers shocked the football world with their 12-2 record this season?

Why is a team that hasn't made the playoffs or posted a winning record in three years suddenly one of the hottest commodities in the NFL?

What's the secret for the Packers, who despite having the youngest roster in the league are positioned to post their first 14-win regular season in franchise history?

Four primary reasons explain their success:

n 1. Coach Mike McCarthy likes to say if a team isn't getting better, it's getting worse. Clearly, the Packers are better than they were three months ago, with key players stepping out of the shadows.

Ryan Grant was a fourth-string running back at the start of the regular season and was so lightly regarded he was acquired for the bargain-basement price of a sixth-round draft choice. He's not only a starter now — he's the second-leading rusher in the NFL behind LaDainian Tomlinson since Week 8.

Not long ago, Will Blackmon was wearing a boot on his bum foot and was a prime candidate for injured reserve. Now, he's a special-teams return star.

Receiver Koren Robinson wasn't allowed on the team premises in September as he finished serving his one-year substance abuse suspension. Now, he's an integral part of a receiving corps that is the deepest in the NFL. Shame on the critics who blasted the Packers for giving Robinson a second chance.

n 2. The Packers are perilously thin at some positions but have managed to dodge a bullet. If either linebacker Nick Barnett or A.J. Hawk were to go down, the defense would be in trouble. The same goes for starting cornerbacks Al Harris and Charles Woodson. In fact, the one game Woodson missed against the Dallas Cowboys — when the secondary got lit up — showed the Packers' vulnerability.

The Packers are fortunate that pure starters have missed just nine games due to injuries. That total doesn't include running back, where fate has smiled on the Packers. It took injuries to one-time starters Brandon Jackson and DeShawn Wynn for Grant to emerge.

n 3. There's no way to quantify an intangible element like team chemistry, but it's a significant factor. Players repeatedly refer to the camaraderie that permeates the locker room.

Defensive tackle Ryan Pickett played on a St. Louis Rams team that advanced to the Super Bowl in 2001. Yet, he says the feeling of togetherness is more prevalent with the Packers.

"The offensive and defensive guys, it's not a separation," Pickett said. "We all hang together. We all talk. The confidence we have in each other is unreal."

Pickett said that stems directly from McCarthy's guidance. "I think he's doing an excellent job this whole season," Pickett said. "He's always told us the most important thing about a team is the locker room."

n 4. Most, if not all, elite teams have at least one bona fide superstar, someone who is a true difference-maker and is capable of carrying a team on his shoulders.

That player for the Packers is quarterback Brett Favre, who is having the best season of his 17-year Hall of Fame career.

The Packers have a collection of good — and, in some cases, very good — players, but this team wouldn't be in position to advance to the Super Bowl without Favre's playmaking contributions.

It's no coincidence the four best NFL clubs — New England (Tom Brady), Indianapolis (Peyton Manning), Dallas (Tony Romo) and Green Bay — possess the top four quarterbacks.

The best explanation for the Packers' success is that Favre is performing at a high level and is making everyone around him better.

Mike Vandermause is sports editor of the Press-Gazette.

Bretsky
12-22-2007, 12:49 PM
It's no coincidence the four best NFL clubs — New England (Tom Brady), Indianapolis (Peyton Manning), Dallas (Tony Romo) and Green Bay — possess the top four quarterbacks.

I'VE BEEN SAYING THIS IN PR FOR WEEKS; even figured out the winning % of the elite 4 QB's

This Dude is stealing our stuff :!: :lol:

Cheesehead Craig
12-22-2007, 01:05 PM
I still think Moss had a shitload to do with Brady's success, but Brady will get the award, no question

Bretsky
12-22-2007, 01:08 PM
I still think Moss had a shitload to do with Brady's success, but Brady will get the award, no question

Moss made Jeff George look better
Moss made Dante Culpepper look better
Moss is making Brady look better

Rastak
12-22-2007, 04:52 PM

He did win 3 superbowls and recieved 2 superbowl mvp's without Moss.....I really don't think Moss is carrying him.

Make no mistake though, Favre is having a helluva year.

b bulldog
12-22-2007, 05:24 PM
Moss has helped Brady, most definitely. The yards after the catch, which the Packers wr's are head and shoulders above the rest in, has helped Brett's numbers. Do you penalize Brett for that?

PackerBlues
12-22-2007, 05:36 PM
There should not even be an argument. Favre should get the MVP hands down.

Besides the fact that Brady is and always has been a lil bitch and a cry baby, he has also been playing on a team that has had a respectable O-line, a running game from the start of the season, and on the rare occasion that Brady has felt any pressure from a blitz, he had Moss to lob the ball to. How in the hell does that make Brady the most valuable player?

Favre carried the Packers for the first 5 weeks of the season without a run game, and has dealt with a questionable O-line most of the season.

But then, I thought that Barnett would easily make the pro bowl this year too.....what the hell do I know? :roll:

b bulldog
12-22-2007, 05:44 PM
Pats running game stinks and their Oline has been playing poorly the past four or five weeks. Brady deserves it and should win in a landslide. brett has been playing poorly as of late, hopefully it is his injury.

Cheesehead Craig
12-22-2007, 10:38 PM

He did win 3 superbowls and recieved 2 superbowl mvp's without Moss.....I really don't think Moss is carrying him.

Brady's stats are way inflated because the Randy of old showed up this year. Brady's good, nobody is denying that. But teams have that fear of Moss back and he's being doubled all day long which has opened up Welker's game tremendously. Brady is reaping the huge rewards of the Moss factor.

Patler
12-22-2007, 10:45 PM
I agree with Bulldog here. Brady is slowing down, but still playing at an incredible rate. His stats in the first half were out of this world. I bet his stats in the second half are still damn good.

Good, but not out of the normal for good QBs. His last 6 games:

150/236 for 1444 yards, 15 TDs 4 interceptions and a QB rating of 94.68.

During those same weeks (which includes Dallas), Favre's numbers are:

125/184 for 1497 yards, 13 TDs 5 interceptions and a QB rating of 104.82.

packers11
12-22-2007, 11:46 PM
Pats running game stinks and their Oline has been playing poorly the past four or five weeks. Brady deserves it and should win in a landslide. brett has been playing poorly as of late, hopefully it is his injury.

HAHA o please... If you ever watch a Patriots game, Brady just sits in the pocket for about 10 seconds... He could set up a tent and start roasting marshmellows...

His O-line is one of the best/underrated o-lines in the game...

Bretsky
12-22-2007, 11:57 PM

I'm just agreeing that Moss has helped improve Brady. Posters really don't want to know my true feelings on how good I think Brady is and where I think he will be considered in history when he retires.

He is the MVP; HW said it right.

If Favre had Brady's year and GB was undefeated we'd be screaming if anybody tried telling us anybody but Favre was deserving.

Patler
12-23-2007, 12:43 AM
If Favre had Brady's year and GB was undefeated we'd be screaming if anybody tried telling us anybody but Favre was deserving.

Of course we would, because we are Packer fans. That doesn't mean we would be right.

My whole point in starting this thread was not to argue that Brady doesn't deserve it, he does and I stated that in the originating post. My point was to illustrate that perhaps it is not as cut and dried as everyone thought 6 weeks ago. Brady's numbers will be impressive, but will not be what many were predicting in October. He has been no better than Favre and several other QBs the last six weeks.

BF4MVP
12-23-2007, 01:08 AM
Posters really don't want to know my true feelings on how good I think Brady is and where I think he will be considered in history when he retires.
Well you said a lot without actually saying anything....

If you think Brady should be ranked ahead of Favre why don't you just come out and say it? :?

(In which case I would STRONGLY disagree with you but I would still respect your opinion..I guess..)

b bulldog
12-23-2007, 08:43 AM
As I stated on the first page, if this was Brett having these stats and I was telling all in here that Brady deserved it, I'd be the laughing stock on this forum. I will once again state this also, Moss has helped Brady as he should and Brady has most definitely helped Moss, that is the truth. pACKERS FANS WOULD BE FOOLISH TO PENALIZE bRETT for his WR's run after the catch yardage, right?? The Packers WR's are the best in the league at this and this has helped Brett's numbers but he shouldn't be penalized fo this. I guess Bretts WR's make him look better than what he is, is what Cheesehead Craig and Tarlam are saying indirectly by saying that about Moss/Brady and one more thing, both QB's have been on the sidelines during some games and when Brady was out, the offense did absolutely nothing but when Brett was out, Aaron marched the team back into contention in the Dallas game. TRhis doesn't mean that Rodgers is better but even many Packers fans underestimate the talent that Brett has on offense but they than get pissed when the league doesn't acknowledge it by probowl representation.

GBRulz
12-23-2007, 08:58 AM
Tom Brady could care less about the MVP award. Deep down, he's bitter that he didn't get the "Sexiest man in the NFL" award.

b bulldog
12-23-2007, 09:03 AM
:lol: Good one GB!

Bretsky
12-23-2007, 09:44 AM
I don't think either cares about MVP; they both just want a title. Hopefully they meet up in the SB

Tarlam!
12-23-2007, 11:46 AM
I guess Bretts WR's make him look better than what he is, is what Cheesehead Craig and Tarlam are saying indirectly by saying that about Moss/Brady

No, I was suggesting that Moss makes Brady look good. I was suggesting Favre adds more value to the Packers than Brady adds to the Pats.

After all, the trophy is for Most VALUABLE Player.

b bulldog
12-23-2007, 11:57 AM
mY POINT WASS THAT THE wrS YAC YARDAGE MAKES bRETT'S numbers look like he is more needed than he must be :lol:

b bulldog
12-23-2007, 09:13 PM
Brady didn't have a great game today but aBrett's performances lately have been average at best.

packinpatland
12-23-2007, 09:52 PM
I guess Bretts WR's make him look better than what he is, is what Cheesehead Craig and Tarlam are saying indirectly by saying that about Moss/Brady

No, I was suggesting that Moss makes Brady look good. I was suggesting Favre adds more value to the Packers than Brady adds to the Pats.

I agree.

Bretsky
12-23-2007, 10:01 PM

That has a lot of truth to it. The Patriots really are good enough to win plenty of games when Brady plays lousy. I'm not sure I would say the same for the Packers. They need Favre to be at the top of his game for the most part.

Scott Campbell
12-23-2007, 10:17 PM
The Patriots really are good enough to win plenty of games when Brady plays lousy.

Does he ever play lousy?

His games are routinely terrific, and periodically average. But I don't remember him just stinking up the place.

b bulldog
12-24-2007, 09:13 AM
Scott, great point, when does brady honestly play bad? One of Brady's greatest assets is he always gives his team a chance to win. He does make mistakes, no doubt but he isn't one to continue to force the ball.

Zool
12-24-2007, 09:24 AM
Scott, great point, when does brady honestly play bad? One of Brady's greatest assets is he always gives his team a chance to win. He does make mistakes, no doubt but he isn't one to continue to force the ball.

Tom....is that you? Seriously, do you get kickbacks from him or something? Your Brady love is on par with APB's Thompson hate.

b bulldog
12-24-2007, 09:29 AM
Good one, please tell me why Brett deserves it again after his last couple games????

Zool
12-24-2007, 10:15 AM
Please tell me where I said that he does deserve it. I dare you to find one post.

packers11
12-24-2007, 10:25 AM
bulldog if/when the pats lose in the playoffs/Superbowl... your the first one I taunt, you get the privileged before all my new England local friends...

Scott Campbell
12-24-2007, 10:45 AM
I think arguing against the merit of either player is kind of ridiculous. Brady is steadier. Favre is more.....errr....exciting. Both are terrific. I think it's doubtful that Brady or anyone else can play at Favre's level at 38 years old. I know Moon went to the ProBowl after age 40, but I don't remember if he had his team in contention.

packinpatland
12-24-2007, 11:03 AM
The Patriots really are good enough to win plenty of games when Brady plays lousy.

Does he ever play lousy?

His games are routinely terrific, and periodically average. But I don't remember him just stinking up the place.

Against the Jets......Brady's rating was 51.5. ..............just a slight odor.

Bretsky
12-24-2007, 12:15 PM

Does he ever play lousy?

Against the Jets......Brady's rating was 51.5. ..............just a slight odor.

Terrible wind conditions that day; probably similar to Favre against the Bears. And if memory serves me right his WR's had 7-8 drops that day.
Can't remember if he threw any picks......but that was his worst game.

b bulldog
12-24-2007, 01:16 PM
This might be Brett's best season. He was making less mistakes but now that trend is starting to fade. I think in all honesty, Brady will have a league MVP or two, two or three super bowl MVP's and probably four or five championships and I can almost guarantee that when Brady and Manning retire, the talk will be between the two of them of who was the greatest of all-time.

PackerBlues
12-24-2007, 02:26 PM
I think arguing against the merit of either player is kind of ridiculous. Brady is steadier. Favre is more.....errr....exciting. Both are terrific. I think it's doubtful that Brady or anyone else can play at Favre's level at 38 years old. I know Moon went to the ProBowl after age 40, but I don't remember if he had his team in contention.

"Favre is more.....errr....exciting"...... too funny, was picturing Jim Rome.

This might be Brett's best season. He was making less mistakes but now that trend is starting to fade. I think in all honesty, Brady will have a league MVP or two, two or three super bowl MVP's and probably four or five championships and I can almost guarantee that when Brady and Manning retire, the talk will be between the two of them of who was the greatest of all-time.

I think that when Brady and Manning retire, the talk will be between the two of them of who was the greatest at chasing Favre's Records. :smk:\

Adding : By the way, they are all Favre's records right now. :knll:

They used to belong to guys with names like Montana :shock: , or Elway :worship: , or Marino :whaa: .......but all of them now belong to Favre. :knll:

For now, Favre is the man................... and Brady and Manning are just the two closest guys to taking a record or two away. :bs:

b bulldog
12-24-2007, 04:04 PM
keep drinking, it is Christmas Eve

b bulldog
12-24-2007, 04:05 PM
Mvp :oops:

Scott Campbell
12-24-2007, 04:14 PM
MVP = Most Vulnerable to a Paternity suit.

b bulldog
12-24-2007, 04:33 PM
Good one Scott, it would apply with Tom :lol: