PDA

View Full Version : Cap space

PaCkFan_n_MD
12-22-2007, 07:27 AM
http://www.packersnews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20071222/PKR01/712220372/1989

Posted December 22, 2007

Salary-cap space continues to be a boon to Packers' prospects

Thompson will have about $25 million to work with in 2008, thanks in part to creative contract provisions

By Pete Dougherty
pdougher@greenbaypressgazette.com

When the Green Bay Packers recently signed Craig Nall as their No. 3 quarterback, they netted another $1.5 million in salary-cap room in 2008 with an increasingly common contractual maneuver.

The move will give the Packers about $25 million in spending room under the projected $116 million cap in 2008 when the league year starts in early March.

It's the third time this year they've deployed this bookkeeping device, which uses up excess cap space at the end of the year by pushing it into the following season's cap.

According to a source with access to NFL salary information, Packers Vice President Andrew Brandt put a provision in Nall's contract that calls for him to make a $1.5 million incentive bonus if Nall blocks six punts and plays on 65 percent of the team's special-teams plays this year. He obviously can't reach that. However, salary-cap rules mandate that because the incentive was added to a contract during the season, it counts against this year's cap immediately, then when he doesn't reach it, the Packers will get a cap credit of $1.5 million next year.

The Packers put the same provisions in contracts signed this season by tight ends Donald Lee ($2 million) and Ryan Krause ($4 million). So, Brandt and General Manager Ted Thompson moved a total of $7.5 million in excess cap room this year to next season.

"If you're able to put some forward," Thompson said, "it gives you some more flexibility for next year, whether it be for signing your own guys or signing somebody else's."

In the last couple of years, the Packers have become one of the NFL's cap-healthy teams by using such tactics, as well as their pay-as-you-go philosophy of front-loading contracts rather than paying big signing bonuses that are prorated over the length of a deal. Thompson and Brandt have the Packers in a perpetual cycle of having so much cap room each year they're able to sign a couple of key players to contract extensions during the season and still push extra cap space into the next year, while never having to re-work contracts or cut players just to serve short-term cap needs.

"It's all about the greater good," Brandt said, "and allowing us to make sound decisions without cap room being an issue."

The Packers have a little more than $1 million in cap room this year, and they'll probably use the rest of that with incentives players reach this season. For instance, Pro Bowl bonuses alone for Al Harris ($200,000), Aaron Kampman ($100,000) and Donald Driver ($100,000) will eat up $400,000.

The Packers are in the enviable position of being 12-2 with the league's youngest team, plus with plenty of cap room to use in free agency next year if Thompson chooses. The Packers have only three players who will be restricted free agents this offseason: defensive end Colin Cole and running backs Vernand Morency and Noah Herron, and only Cole will for sure get a restricted free-agent tender when the league year starts in March. So, the Packers will lose only a fraction of that $25 million in cap space there.

Thompson and Brandt also are benefiting from the fiscal restraint they showed last offseason, when they signed only one unrestricted free agent, backup cornerback Frank Walker. Probably the best move they made was dropping out of the bidding for declining halfback Ahman Green. Thompson tried to re-sign him and even went higher than expected by offering a deal that included about $6 million in first-year pay, but Green went to Houston, which offered the 30-year-old $8.5 million in first-year pay. Green played in only six games this season and is on injured reserve because of a knee injury.

The ample cap room for next year gives Thompson some flexibility in his offseason moves. For instance, defensive tackle Corey Williams will be an unrestricted free agent, and the emergence of Johnny Jolly and drafting of Justin Harrell at that position make it unlikely Thompson will get into the expensive bidding for Williams. Jolly was a blossoming starter before injuring a shoulder and going on injured reserve, and the Packers will want to get Harrell on the field regularly after drafting him with their top pick this year. So, Thompson probably will be reluctant to make a major investment in Williams with only so many snaps to go around.

However, Thompson at least can consider putting the franchise tag on Williams, which probably will be worth close to $7 million next year, and then try to trade him. That appears to be an unlikely scenario — Williams could sign the tender immediately, and if the Packers couldn't trade him, they'd have to pay him the contract — but it's a deal Thompson could afford financially if he wants to take the risk.

Tarlam!
12-22-2007, 09:05 AM
TT is no genius! He didn't sign T.O. He didn't sign Moss. This team has LOST 2 games this year.

Yeah, they won 12, but that was only due to Favre playing not only QB, but all other positions on offense, defense and ST's single handed!

When are these journo pukes ever gonna realize Woodbuck is right and TT is an idiot?

SkinBasket
12-22-2007, 09:23 AM
I like saucy Tarlam.

Scott Campbell
12-22-2007, 09:36 AM
The Packers have a little more than $1 million in cap room this year, and they'll probably use the rest of that with incentives players reach this season. For instance, Pro Bowl bonuses alone for Al Harris ($200,000), Aaron Kampman ($100,000) and Donald Driver ($100,000) will eat up $400,000.

Dispelling yet another I HATE TED myth.

"Ted is cheap and wasting all of our cap space. And if it's not used this year, its gone forever. Stupid, stupid Ted. I hate him. He's the devil."

Bretsky
12-22-2007, 10:04 AM
TT is no genius! He didn't sign T.O. He didn't sign Moss. This team has LOST 2 games this year.

Yeah, they won 12, but that was only due to Favre playing not only QB, but all other positions on offense, defense and ST's single handed!

When are these journo pukes ever gonna realize Woodbuck is right and TT is an idiot?

Time for you to go for some rehab focued on letting it go :lol:

Scott Campbell
12-22-2007, 10:07 AM

Don't listen to B Tarlam. Have another drink - to the Packers success!

Bretsky
12-22-2007, 10:08 AM

Don't listen to B Tarlam. Have another drink - to the Packers success!

Everybody should be drinking to the Packers success :glug:

Tarlam!
12-22-2007, 10:08 AM

Don't just slam me, debate me!

I am not cowar-Dice :idea: Bretsky!

What you see is what you get!! :!: :arrow: :arrow: :idea: :?:

bRING ON YOUR best ARGUMENTS: i AM more THAN HAPPY TO SPAR WITH you: bRETSKY:

I thought so. :lol: :lol:

Bretsky
12-22-2007, 10:13 AM

Well, what should we argue about ? Here are some options

Brady should be the MVP
Harris is still better than Woodson
MM should be coach of the year
Bill Bellichek is the best coach in the NFL
Moss and Owens are the best WR's in the NFL
Ryan Grant can be a long term starter
Brett Favre should play two more years

I'm more than happy to argue over any content you choose. You pick if ya wanna go
:wink:

Deputy Nutz
12-22-2007, 10:16 AM
I don't think this incentive deal is going to be allowed much longer if he are putting incentive packages together for a QB to block punts and play on special teams.

Smart, I will give him that. Andrew Brandt is a frickin genius!

Tarlam!
12-22-2007, 10:17 AM
See, I knew you'd turn tail and run!

Scott Campbell
12-22-2007, 10:18 AM

ROFL

Scott Campbell
12-22-2007, 10:20 AM
I don't think this incentive deal is going to be allowed much longer if he are putting incentive packages together for a QB to block punts and play on special teams.

Smart, I will give him that. Andrew Brandt is a frickin genius!

I'm not sure it was even invented in GB. I think lots of teams are doing this. Well, unless they've pissed away all their money on washed up has beens, or overpaying a bunch of never will be's.

Brandon494
12-22-2007, 01:01 PM
Lets also not forget the trade with Cleveland he passed up on, we could have gotten a top 3 pick in nexts year draft.....oh wait. :roll: