PDA

View Full Version : Looking Beyond the Charts Harris > Woodsen

Bretsky
12-22-2007, 10:30 AM
Al Harris has been an exceptional player on Green Bay for many years now
Not many will argue that he deserved to go to the Pro Bowl last year

I think he deserves to go this year, over Charles Woodsen

Hold the stats, and consider this

Week after week Al Harris is asked to cover the best WR on the opponents team. Woodsen, while having the talent of a #1 corner, gets the luxury of covering the 2nd best wide receiver.

For the most part, Al Harris has had an exceptional season, barring one game. He has had a bad play here and there, but has played well in every game except for Dallas........of which he was terrible.

With Al Harris style, he has almost eliminated many #1 Wide Receivers from the game. Coaches and players realize that, and that is why Harris is going this year.

Harris excels based on technique and jams at the line of scrimmage. His speed is average, but he gets the bump better than any CB in the NFL. This is exactly why Harris can be good for several years down the road. He's not fast in the first place, and as long as he keeps his technique and strength he'll still play for a while.

While I admit Harris was horrid against Dallas, it's clear to me that Harris does not match up well with Owens. I'm not sure about Moss. But other than that, I think Owens is the only WR in the NFL that can consistently abuse Al Harris.

Harris tries to outmuscle you at the line and does not allow you to get into your route right away. Many of the excellent smaller WR's, like Holt, that works well on. But Owens is the one WR I can think of who has the superior combination of size and speed that can put Harris to shame. And he did. Owens is faster and stronger than Harris, and when on his game he will best Harris more than not. I hope MM realizes he needs to plan for this more next round, or get a more effective pass rush.

The Dallas game aside, Harris has had another outstanding season. I have no problems with anybody saying Woodsen deserves to go to the Pro Bowl. He's had a great season as well.

But I still think Harris is our best CB and my guess is the coaches would agree.

Cheers,
B

Tarlam!
12-22-2007, 10:32 AM
I agree Bretsky, but Harris is T.O.'s beatch. And that, this year anyway, is a baaaaaaad thing.

Bretsky
12-22-2007, 10:40 AM
I agree Bretsky, but Harris is T.O.'s beatch. And that, this year anyway, is a baaaaaaad thing.

Yes it is; more profanity came out of my mouth in that three hour period than all the other Packer games combined, and much of it was towards Harris.

I don't think Harris can handle TO alone; he's one of the few WR's that will dominate bump and run coverage. He's just too strong.

Freak Out
12-22-2007, 10:48 AM
The outcome of that battle will be different in the snow....and with a little better safety help. :D

RashanGary
12-22-2007, 10:51 AM
I thought TO dominated by getting in positions where it was not bump and run. They put him in motion and got him off Harris on many of the big plays (almost all of them if I recall correctly).

With Woodson in the slot, I don't see that happening. If they want to put TO in motion now, they'll just be trading Harris in bump for Woodson in a softer coverage (something Woodson excells at).

RashanGary
12-22-2007, 11:06 AM
Maybe my favorite Woodson moment was when Harris intercepted a pass (I think it ended up getting reversed because of a penalty) and Woodson was celebrating with Harris. Woodson seemed happier to see his friend succeed than he ever was with one of his interceptions.

For all of the Woodson is a bad guy talk that happened when we signed him, I'm a little suprised to find that it couldn't have been any further from the truth.

Bretsky
12-22-2007, 11:12 AM
Maybe my favorite Woodson moment was when Harris intercepted a pass (I think it ended up getting reversed because of a penalty) and Woodson was celebrating with Harris. Woodson seemed happier to see his friend succeed than he ever was with one of his interceptions.

For all of the Woodson is a bad guy talk that happened when we signed him, I'm suprised to find that it couldn't have been any further from the truth.

The coaches need to get some credit for this as well. Woodsen had a rap for being lazy and not dedicated. He doesn't come to the OTA's, but other than that he's been a model player. The Packer beat guys even noted how he plays through pain as well as any guy on the roster as well

RashanGary
12-22-2007, 11:20 AM
Good point. McCarthy and Woodson really hit it off. It's touching to hear MM talk about Woodson and vice-versa. Then Woodson was the guy to shower him with gatorade after they secured the bye. He's the right player at the right time for this team. I enjoy watching Woodson maybe more than any player on this team. I really respect the way he goes about his buisness.

For MM being a supposed hard-ass, I get a kick out of seeing him with the players because he's more of a big softy who loves and respects his players than a hard ass who knocks them around.

RashanGary
12-22-2007, 11:24 AM
To me, McCarthy is the type of guy you are willing to got to battle for. He trusts players enough to give them leaway in how they play. I know when I'm just doing what I'm told, I have a hard time really committing. When I have some say in what I do, I always give a better effort because I believe in what I'm doing. If there is one thing I think MM brought that wasn't here before is the respect, trust and team minded approach that guys really commit to. I see a big difference in the ownership of the players. It's loose, but it seems to be that way because MM"s not micro managing the passion out of these guys. You don't hear MM talking about reading some leadership book or doing things according to some stupid motivation seminar. He's just a natural leader because IMO he believes in other people. I don't think you can fake that the way some coaches try.

Tarlam!
12-22-2007, 11:25 AM
For MM being a supposed hard-ass, I get a kick out of seeing him with the players because he's more of a big softy who loves and respects his players than a hard ass who knocks them around.

M3 is from Pittsburgh. He is all about hard, but fair. He tells his team clearly what he expects and then pursues the execution together with the position coaches. He won't be blowing too much smoke up people's bums. He's even been in Favre's face (last week) if he makes mistakes.

Also, ask Grant or JJ about fumbling the ball.

M3 is doing a great job.

:jack:

Sorry B. How about that Harris kid, aint it something, him going to the pro bowl?

RashanGary
12-22-2007, 11:32 AM
Not to get all emotional and christmasy but I think one of the greatest things you can do for the people you love is believe in them. Think about how good that feels and how willing you are to walk 1,000 miles for a person that believes in you. MM seems to have a natural trust and belief in the good in people. I just don't think you can fake that.

MJZiggy
12-22-2007, 02:45 PM
First off, I wanna mention that last year about this time right before they announce who was going to the pro bowl, I was watching a locker-room interview with Woodson. Someone asked him about the pro bowl, and his response was an emphatic, "I don't care about me, I want Al to go." He went on to say that he thought it would be nice if they could go together but he would have much preferred to have Al go. He has to be tickled over his selection. I love the way those two have bonded.

As to M3, if you had seen the training camp video last year, you'd realize he's no softy. He expects things done and done when he wants them done. That said, he's also got a reputation for being fair, for having an open office door, for listening to his players and recently I read that he implements his players ideas into the game plan. Talk about giving them ownership in their own success. They know what to expect and their contributions are obviously valued. That and a couple million dollars to play a game and what more could you ask for?