PDA

View Full Version : EEE PC

Partial
12-22-2007, 08:43 PM
I bought an EEE PC off of new egg today. I got the black 2gb surf model. I'll give a review once I start to use it.

I figure I will use that for a few months and then get the Mac sub-notebook in the summer when they offer the free iPod with it.

Freak Out
12-22-2007, 09:23 PM
Sweet...can't wait to hear what you think. I'm curious what you think about the interface tweaks they made to the OS.

Joemailman
12-22-2007, 10:17 PM
What the hell are you guys talking about? :cnf:

Partial
12-22-2007, 10:33 PM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ASUS_Eee_PC

wiki wiki

Joemailman
12-23-2007, 03:22 PM
Okay, but what's a new egg?

LL2
12-23-2007, 03:52 PM
I'm interested in reading your review as well. I need a new cheap laptop for work while on the road and to use my wireless network card in for getting email.

Scott Campbell
12-23-2007, 04:18 PM

www.newegg.com

LL2
12-24-2007, 08:33 AM
After checking out the EEE it looks like it's something I might want to get. A lot of the user reviews were high on the little laptop. I just wish they offered one with more than a 8 gig hard drive, but maybe if mostly what you use it for is the internet and small apps you will not need a bigger hard drive. A lot of apps are becoming web based anyways.

Freak Out
12-24-2007, 09:46 AM
After checking out the EEE it looks like it's something I might want to get. A lot of the user reviews were high on the little laptop. I just wish they offered one with more than a 8 gig hard drive, but maybe if mostly what you use it for is the internet and small apps you will not need a bigger hard drive. A lot of apps are becoming web based anyways.

One thing to remember is that you can get some very small externals with some huge storage.

LL2
12-26-2007, 09:51 PM

One thing to remember is that you can get some very small externals with some huge storage.

A friend mentioned this to me once. He said you can get small flash drive or small hard drives and run apps right off of them.

digitaldean
12-28-2007, 03:21 PM

NewEgg.com is a GREAT place to buy computer hardware/software online.

Purchased quite a bit from there. Very reliable delivery, good service.

Freak Out
12-28-2007, 05:41 PM

NewEgg.com is a GREAT place to buy computer hardware/software online.

Purchased quite a bit from there. Very reliable delivery, good service.

It's the only place I buy computer gear from any more.

Partial
01-02-2008, 12:59 PM
I just got the thing dropped off at my house. This is the first website I am visiting. So far, the thing is pretty decent but it is really fricking small and kind of hard to type on. My hands almost feel like they're about to cramp up. The size is truly astonishing, and the 2G surf model seems plenty fast for web surfing. The display is pretty nice as well. So far I have had about one typo per sentence that I have gone back and corrected. It truly is astonishingly small. I think you will be truly amazed when you open it up and are just like wow.

LL2
01-02-2008, 01:03 PM
I just got the thing dropped off at my house. This is the first website I am visiting. So far, the thing is pretty decent but it is really fricking small and kind of hard to type on. My hands almost feel like they're about to cramp up. The size is truly astonishing, and the 2G surf model seems plenty fast for web surfing. The display is pretty nice as well. So far I have had about one typo per sentence that I have gone back and corrected. It truly is astonishingly small. I think you will be truly amazed when you open it up and are just like wow.

So, are you giving it a thumbs up and recommending it to others?

Partial
01-02-2008, 01:12 PM
Too soon to tell. Personally, now that BB routinely has 500 dollar laptops with a dual-core processor and 2GB of ram, I kind of wish I went that route since I don't really need the portability. But, the way this was packaged I could easily return this and get my money back. Nothing was really sealed so that is nice. One thing I do not like so far is that it feels like my hands are starting to cramp up. And my right bicep is starting to ache from having to hold my arms at a weird angle. However, I have not had a single typo in the above paragraph so I am getting better at typing rapidly.

We will have to see what happens with this. The speed and interface is about what I expected, but I did not think it would physically be this tiny. You really can't be the price, though. Especially if you're just looking for something to surf the internet from on the road.

Partial
01-03-2008, 01:46 AM
I am only about 5'11" and don't have super long or fat fingers, but my arm is sore from cramping up on this device. I used it for several hours today and do not recommend it.

I am beginning to think I only like Apple laptops. I have yet to find a trackpad as nice as the MacBook one.

Partial
01-23-2008, 11:10 PM
If anyone is interested in this, I would be willing to sell it for a good price. The machine shipped to my door was 310.55 from NewEgg. With a 4gb SDHC card it was an extra 20.

I'd be willing to go for around 290ish if anyone is interested. It's been used about 10 hours total so far.

Scott Campbell
01-24-2008, 10:19 AM
If anyone is interested in this, I would be willing to sell it for a good price. The machine shipped to my door was 310.55 from NewEgg. With a 4gb SDHC card it was an extra 20.

I'd be willing to go for around 290ish if anyone is interested. It's been used about 10 hours total so far.

$290 for most of us. $550 for Tank.

Zool
01-24-2008, 10:26 AM

So you're taking $41 off the price? 12% discount is not going to get it done on an open box item. Cmon man, you know better. You're retail.

Partial
01-24-2008, 10:34 AM
It's been used 8 hours. I could easily get that or close to on craigslist

Zool
01-24-2008, 10:43 AM
$250 on CL and it would sell fast. $290 im not so sure. More power to ya though.

Partial
01-24-2008, 10:44 AM
Who in there right mind is going to take an 80 dollar loss on something that is basically brand new? That is a 25% loss.

GrnBay007
01-24-2008, 11:00 AM
Who in there right mind is going to take an 80 dollar loss on something that is basically brand new? That is a 25% loss.

Aren't you supposed to be at work....not peddling used equipment? :P

Harlan Huckleby
01-24-2008, 11:06 AM
I have a DIVX player that I'm looking to move at a steep discount. It's only played 3 movies so it's essentially brand new. I think it will play regular DVDs. It was $800 back in 1997, I'm slashing down to $450. Will pay shipping.

SkinBasket
01-24-2008, 11:49 AM

A better question is who is going to buy an opened computer from someone who's already moaned about what a pain in the ass it is to use for 10 dollars less than they could pick it up new?

Especially from someone who lies about how tall they are.

Zool
01-24-2008, 12:14 PM

Who in their right mind wouldn't just spend $40 more and get a brand new one?

Partial
01-24-2008, 03:00 PM

A better question is who is going to buy an opened computer from someone who's already moaned about what a pain in the ass it is to use for 10 dollars less than they could pick it up new?

? It doesn't work for me. That doesn't mean that every review in the country is long.

What height are you talking about?!?

Partial
01-24-2008, 03:01 PM

I would imagine lots of people. Why waste 40 dollars?!? That is throwing money away for the same thing.

Zool
01-24-2008, 03:07 PM

I would imagine lots of people. Why waste 40 dollars?!? That is throwing money away for the same thing.

There's no guarantee for the people buying the system that you aren't a poo flinger who coated the screen with feces. $40 is a small price to pay for that piece of mind.

SkinBasket
01-24-2008, 03:19 PM

? It doesn't work for me. That doesn't mean that every review in the country is long.

What height are you talking about?!?

Well, good luck convincing someone they should be paying that much. Like Zool said, twenty bucks isn't a lot of money for piece of mind.

And I'm talking about you measuring 5'11" if you're wearing 4 inch pumps.

Partial
01-24-2008, 03:22 PM
To get this package it would be 335.55. I am offering it for 300 flat.

Maybe you're 5'7", but I most certainly am not. My GF is 5'7" on the dot and I have about 4 inches on her.

Zool
01-24-2008, 03:26 PM
To get this package it would be 335.55. I am offering it for 300 flat.

Maybe you're 5'7", but I most certainly am not. My GF is 5'7" on the dot and I have about 4 inches on her.

1) its already gone up $10?

2)I bet she's really satisfied.

Partial
01-24-2008, 03:35 PM
290 is what I did here. Put it on a few other websites too. I said make an offer and I'll consider it. Christ. You're a towel.

swede
01-24-2008, 03:49 PM
Wally! Beaver! Don't make me come up there!

SkinBasket
01-24-2008, 03:55 PM
Christ. You're a towel.

A towel?

Zool gets wet the more he dries. That's pretty sweet.

Zool
01-25-2008, 09:00 AM
Christ. You're a towel.

A towel?

Zool gets wet the more he dries. That's pretty sweet.

A towel!? Oh thats it little big man. You called down the thunder, well now you've got it.

Seriously though, that 4" joke set itself up. I like hitting your girly underhand pitching on days when I'm tired.