PDA

View Full Version : Inspirational Article about Koren Robinson

oregonpackfan
12-22-2007, 11:15 PM
JSonline has an excellent article about the alcohol recovery and football comeback of Koren Robinson.

Vince Lombardi had a quote something to the effect of "What counts in life is not in ever being knocked down. What counts is picking yourself up every time you are knocked down."

Here is the link:

http://www.jsonline.com/story/index.aspx?id=699555

RashanGary
12-22-2007, 11:33 PM
I don't think we've really seen Robinsons best. I think these two games and the bye week will bring out the best in him. I doubted him from the very beginning. He's turing into a very positive suprise.

I thought he was a little naive to say he trusted Ted and just wanted to be loyal to him. Come on K-rob, this is your last shot at security, act at least a little hard to get so you get a real offer. I do think Ted is a decent guy. I don't picture him screwing Robinson over even though Robinson seems to be voluntarily bending over :roll:

Tarlam!
12-23-2007, 01:05 AM
I think most of you know how much I supported K-Rob's signing and TT's decision to give the guy a last chance.

There is at least one poster on here that has used the K-Rob example to the benifit of his personal life.

Well done to K-Rob and our poster. It's all good.

BF4MVP
12-23-2007, 01:13 AM
I thought he was a little naive to say he trusted Ted and just wanted to be loyal to him. Come on K-rob, this is your last shot at security, act at least a little hard to get so you get a real offer. I do think Ted is a decent guy. I don't picture him screwing Robinson over even though Robinson seems to be voluntarily bending over :roll:
I don't see anything wrong with Koren wanting to repay Thompson for giving him a chance..And the homosexual references really aren't necessary, but whatever..

Badgerinmaine
12-23-2007, 04:29 AM
Thanks for pointing out the article, OPF. I hope his story inspires many more to deal with their addiction demons, whatever they are.
The link, though, didn't work. Here's another shot at it:
http://www.jsonline.com/story/index.aspx?id=699555

Guiness
12-23-2007, 07:05 AM
I think the most promising part of the article is where he says he knows he's not cured, and never will be. That's how relapses happen - symptoms go away, patient thinks they're cured, goes off the medication or whatever other treatment they're receiving...

Hope this continues. Hate to say it, but I won't feel comfortable he's got this beat long term until he goes through an offseason where he's not under constant supervision like he was this year...

GBRulz
12-23-2007, 07:30 AM
That was a great read on Koren. I've never been against TT bringing him here...I mean, at that point what did we have to lose? Then, after seeing his progress and staying out of trouble, I have to say that I'm really proud of this kid.

Honestly? I really didn't care what he did on the field for us, I just wanted him to beat his addiction and get well. For most of us here, I think we all felt the same way. So far, we're getting the best of both worlds....a guy who realized he screwed up and is turning his life around AND one helluva player on the field!!

b bulldog
12-23-2007, 08:26 AM
You won't see Robinson at his best till probably next season. The knee is still gving him problems althoughhe should keep getting better and the playoff layoff will most definitely help him.

b bulldog
12-23-2007, 10:22 AM
One thing I found troubling is that he still goes to the bar. He says he can go and just chill and drink water but with that addiction, I don't really like the fact that he still goes there.

BallHawk
12-23-2007, 10:52 AM
One thing I found troubling is that he still goes to the bar. He says he can go and just chill and drink water but with that addiction, I don't really like the fact that he still goes there.

If he feels mentally strong enough to go to a bar and hang out without drinking than that's fine with me. You always have the chance of a relapse, but K-Rob seems to be at peace with his situation.

Favre, on the other hand, I think hasn't stepped in a bar in 5+ years. Different strokes for different folks.

b bulldog
12-23-2007, 10:56 AM
I like Brett's way of dealing with it much better. You put yourself in situations thaT TEMPT your addiction, that is foolish to me and we do know his track record. I hope he is strong enough to sustain his alcohol free lifestyle but I didn't like to hear that.

GBRulz
12-23-2007, 11:06 AM
The temptation will always be there, whether he's in a bar or if he's grocery shopping and decides to put a bottle of vodka in his shopping cart. So, should he stay away from the grocery store, too?

You like the way Brett does it vs Koren? All I can say to that is, don't believe everything you read.

b bulldog
12-23-2007, 11:07 AM
I know what you are saying but I put Korens problems with alcohol higher than what Brett ever did or got caught doing :lol:

GBRulz
12-23-2007, 11:08 AM
I know what you are saying but I put Korens problems with alcohol higher than what Brett ever did or got caught doing :lol:

Got caught doing....those are the key words there, bulldog!! :wink:

b bulldog
12-23-2007, 11:09 AM
Still don't think it is a good idea but he knows more than I do on whether he is strong enough to stay sober. Actaully in green bay, the fans and the tender may keep an eye on him and help him out a bit :lol: .

RashanGary
12-23-2007, 11:14 AM
I agree bulldog, I thought it was bad that he was thinking he had it all figured out and was strong now where he could just hang out at bars.

He redeemed it later saying he had to stay focused and never get complacent, but you can see he has the personality to where he could easily lul himself into forgetting how bad it was. Going into bars seemed very silly to me and the explaination for going was even more worrysome.

Tarlam!
12-23-2007, 11:26 AM
On 0,5% of all possible occasions, according to K-Rob, he hangs out with his buddies that go to a bar.

1. It is not his idea to go to a bar.
2. His buddies, most likely Packer players are with him.

MJZiggy
12-23-2007, 11:27 AM
If you read what he said before the bar part, he said that he normally does not go to the bar (I believe he said 99.5% of the time), but he feels that on the occasions when he does go just to have some camaraderie with the team, he can handle it. I think that's ok. I've known a few alcoholics in my time that were perfectly ok with going out and having club soda--they simply know that they can't have a drop. Koren knows what he has to lose now that he's had a taste of actually losing it.