PDA

View Full Version : Cold weather affect?

GrnBay007
12-23-2007, 02:40 PM
How much did the weather factor in with this VERY YOUNG Packer team?

Brohm
12-23-2007, 02:44 PM
Given MM doesn't like to practice outside, I would guess a lot. However, I figured Farve would handle it better than Orton would. oops. We practice in a dome and our play has shifted it seems as such. We really need a running game in GB in Dec/Jan and though we been better of late, our lack of emphasis on it (for lack of a better term) may bite us. I hope I am wrong and it gets sorted this week. The elemnts are supposed to be our homefield advantage.

Partial
12-23-2007, 02:44 PM
Play calling is at fault. Cold weather games are won on the ground. Why did Mac take Grant out of the game after his long run? Figuratively, not literally.

Brohm
12-23-2007, 02:47 PM
Remember when Dallas finally came to GB :D That's how it should be....

Bretsky
12-23-2007, 02:49 PM
How much did the weather factor in with this VERY YOUNG Packer team?

We were unprepared and the Bears were a tougher team. Screw the weather.
Both teams faced the same conditions.

The Bears came ready to play and Green Bay did not. I saw this coming. I also think Washington will beat Dallas next week; and we'll remember this game if we're playing in Dallas.

GrnBay007
12-23-2007, 02:52 PM
Screw the weather.
Both teams faced the same conditions.

Obviously. Just wondering about the affect on the young guys that aren't used to this.

Brohm
12-23-2007, 02:53 PM
They are talking on the radio about how the Packers looked like a dome team out there :cry: that has to get sorted somthing quick.

RashanGary
12-23-2007, 02:55 PM
1. Our Oline is undersized. We have been running well in large part because our great passing attack has set it up (weather like this neaturalizes our passing attack and has the chain effect of making our run game wildly inconsistant)

2. We were missing Pickett and Jolly (our two best run defenders). We're never going to get Jolly back, so we are very average up the middle for the rest of the year.

3. Our ST's are usually a big part of our wins. The weather really effected our ST's.

I'd say these three things really made a difference in the game. This might be a blessing because these are things that are not going to be fixed in a couple weeks. If we have to play a bad weather team in Lambeau, we'd likely lose to any playoff team.

The Leaper
12-23-2007, 02:57 PM
The Packers hardly looked like a team that is used to cold weather. They looked as if they did not want to play today.

After that performance...I'm glad we'll be playing Dallas in Dallas. We wouldn't have a chance against them in cold, windy conditions like today with their massive OL.

MJZiggy
12-23-2007, 02:59 PM
I think M3 went away from the run because save one play, the run wasn't working. At least when we got into a passing rhythm (sort of), we managed to keep our defense off the field for a bit at a time. What an all around CRAP game.

esoxx
12-23-2007, 03:02 PM
Cold wasn't the problem. It was the wind. That's what made passing, snapping, etc..and adventure. You can pass in cold weather, it's the flippin wind that was brutal.

RashanGary
12-23-2007, 03:02 PM
The Packers are the worst team in the league in 3rd/4th and 1. The reason is because they cannot get a consistant push when the defense knows it's coming. The only reason we run decent is because we break the occasional big one and we have a pass game that sets it up. This game, along with the 3rd or 4th and short stat show how incapable our Oline is at getting a push when teams know the run is coming. This whole offense is dependent on the pass. If we're going to get through the playoffs, we can't have wind like today or we will lose.

Brohm
12-23-2007, 03:04 PM
Cold wasn't the problem. It was the wind. That's what made passing, snapping, etc..and adventure. You can pass in cold weather, it's the flippin wind that was brutal.

Bears didn't seem to have a problem today :shock:

Brohm
12-23-2007, 03:07 PM
All we needed to do today was not make a mistake. Orton and their punter handled the snaps without a hitch.

We didn't do a damn thing today and both teams had to face the weather. Our guys looked liked Dallas when they finally cam to Lambeau in jan.

esoxx
12-23-2007, 03:07 PM
Bears don't have a 4-5 WR set offense they depend on either. Wind takes that away, cold doesn't.

Brohm
12-23-2007, 03:09 PM
Bears don't have a 4-5 WR set offense they depend on either. Wind takes that away, cold doesn't.

I agree, we needed to adapt. That doesnt explain our ST play which put is in the hole to begin with. Orton was putting some zip on his passes.

RIPackerFan
12-23-2007, 03:09 PM
Bears won because they came in to kick our asses. We looked like we had nothing to play for - were afraid of the weather - and like we didn't want to get hurt.

This was a bad loss and screw injuries. MM needs to get all the starters in there next week - and play the entire game and get their heads on straight. I would also make them practice all week outside.

This was embarassing - because we should have won this game. We are a better team. But when we play without any heart - and the other team comes in ready to destroy us - this is going to happen.

]{ilr]3
12-23-2007, 03:20 PM

It was a lot colder on the Packers side of the field. If you noticed about half-time on the Packers side of the field the stadium was completely baren because they were getting the full brunt of the wind, just like the Packers. They never had a chance to get warmed up. I am sure the stadium was designed to take advantage of the average direction of the wind to work against the visiting team. Not thats any excuse for the way the Packers played. They had to have know this coming into the game. I cannot believe that Ryan never bothered to put fucking gloves on :roll:. The game plan just plain sucked today and we got outplayed.

chain_gang
12-23-2007, 03:51 PM
Well hopefully we limit the 5 wide set, this is an example of the types of defenses we'll see in the playoffs, between the Cowboys game and the Bears game, this five wide has been exposed, I shutter to think what could happen to Favre if they try this against Tampa or even Dallas again. It can work on quick passes but with the wind and the cold teams will just jump the routes and not worry about the deep pass.

Also, why does it seem so hard for the Packers to diagnose a screen play on defense, teams have been doing all year effectively, hopefully they can work on that, it seems every team that runs a screen against us gets 20+ yds.

Bears wanted the game more and it showed. Green Bay needs to learn from them on that. A blowout like this is a real eye opener, it's one thing to lose, but it's another to be completely embarrassed by an inferior team, that was missing Briggs, Anderson, Brown. Just goes to show they have to improve on a lot of things if they expect to win a playoff game.

cpk1994
12-23-2007, 03:54 PM
Cold wasn't the problem. It was the wind. That's what made passing, snapping, etc..and adventure. You can pass in cold weather, it's the flippin wind that was brutal.Exacrtly. You can't broad brush this on cold weather. This was the wind and the inability to adjsut.

RashanGary
12-23-2007, 03:58 PM
Very good point killer. I noticed that whole side of the stadium was gone. I thought it was odd. You might be right that they were in the worst part of the field. Haha, smart design.

Scott Campbell
12-23-2007, 04:01 PM
It can work on quick passes but with the wind and the cold teams will just jump the routes and not worry about the deep pass.

Well that's exactly how Jennings got so wide open on the touchdown bomb last week.

Harlan Huckleby
12-23-2007, 04:23 PM
In those windy conditions, the Packers and Bears are evenly matched.
The Bears blew-out the Packers because the green & gold were flat.

Favre is not any better than Orton in those conditions. Orton was an excellent short-range passer at Purdue, he has a decent touch.

I thought the game sucked. The wind took the skill out of the game.

But I don't give a damn, Packers were unlikely to get home-field anyway. Now they can approach the last game with the knowledge that it is meaningless.

FritzDontBlitz
12-23-2007, 05:56 PM

The Bears offense is built for these conditions; the Packers offense isn't. The Bears tailored their game plan to the weather: run run run. The Packers tried to do what they always do, got behind after a few special teams disasters and had no hope of catching up even if they did go to a runfirst attack.

rdanomly
12-23-2007, 06:28 PM
For what it is worth, Farve said during the post game press conference that it was the worse conditions he's ever played in.

I suppose if you're spending most of the game standing still on the sidelines and not moving around on the field there never is a chance to warm up.

Scott Campbell
12-23-2007, 06:33 PM
For what it is worth, Favre said during the post game press conference that it was the worse conditions he's ever played in.

Well it's about the worst we've played in any conditions. Lucky for the Bears that they didn't have to play in the same weather that we endured.

mmmdk
12-23-2007, 06:37 PM
In those windy conditions, the Packers and Bears are evenly matched.

I think the score was Bears 35 Packers 7...Packers got smothered.

alquaal
12-23-2007, 06:43 PM
For what its worth the conditions were the same for Orton. And the Packers werent standing still on the sideline they were actively huddling around a heater like NFC North Football wasnt their first sport. Whith the most talent and potential in the NFC this loss isnt lethal but a potential red flag. If the Pack takes the Lions lightly and stumble into the playoffs on a 2 game losing streak, a superbowl berth will be a miracle.

]{ilr]3
12-23-2007, 07:48 PM
For what it is worth, Favre said during the post game press conference that it was the worse conditions he's ever played in.

I suppose if you're spending most of the game standing still on the sidelines and not moving around on the field there never is a chance to warm up.

What really bothered me was that Favre commented before the game as well that these were the worst conditions he had ever played in. Seems like they went into this game already defeated.

b bulldog
12-23-2007, 09:07 PM
WE WERE MISSING Pickett and Jolley, the Bears were missing 5 or 6 starters on D and 2 or 3 on offense AND WE ARE WHINNING ABOUT OUR STARTERS WHO ARE INJURED :oops:

Bretsky
12-23-2007, 09:27 PM
WE WERE MISSING Pickett and Jolley, the Bears were missing 5 or 6 starters on D and 2 or 3 on offense AND WE ARE WHINNING ABOUT OUR STARTERS WHO ARE INJURED :oops:

I hear what you are saying

We are talented but we are not deep at many positions. We can't endure losing two starters on the DL and still playing top notch. We are not good enough.

Not an excuse; but from my vantage point admitting we are not good enough to overcome key injuries is fair.

b bulldog
12-23-2007, 09:34 PM
I see what you are saying and I thought the same today as I was watching the game. This team needs basicly everything to go right for this team to compete at a high level against the elite in the league. I see that point but the way Nick goes on and on about a few injuries is crazy. This is a rough game and every team will lose some key contributers during the seaon and if you can't overcome them, your not good enough. We've been one of the healthiest teams in the league this year, maybe we just are not as good as we all thought.