PDA

View Full Version : Jon Ryan Lost The Game - Hopefully His Job Too

Scott Campbell
12-23-2007, 03:44 PM
That is hands down the worst performance I have ever witnessed by a punter. He sucks. You'd think the CFL would have toughened him up for a game like this.

Ted needs to find us a new punter.

Partial
12-23-2007, 03:45 PM
Lame. He's a good punter. I blame the snaps partially. And the blocking for letting the gunner blitz freely.

coolman3
12-23-2007, 03:48 PM
Lame. He's a good punter. I blame the snaps partially. And the blocking for letting the gunner blitz freely.

They guy held the damn ball too damn long. He hesitated too much. I agree with Scott Campbell. Ryan sucks.

MJZiggy
12-23-2007, 03:50 PM
Dunno, he had to pluck at least one snap down from outer space and then get a kick off. Not such an easy thing to do sometimes. Though you would think he'd have handled that first snap better.

MadtownPacker
12-23-2007, 03:51 PM
Jon Ryan Lost The Game - Hopefully His Job Too

After today you might get me to say M3 lost his job too. Everyone played like crap except DD, Jennings and Grant. Im just glad this isn't the last game of the season. It would be the worse way to go into the playoffs.

cpk1994
12-23-2007, 03:53 PM
Dunno, he had to pluck at least one snap down from outer space and then get a kick off. Not such an easy thing to do sometimes. Though you would think he'd have handled that first snap better.Rob Davis is to blame, not Jon Ryan. You would think that after as many years as he has been in the league, he would be able to snap the ball in any type of conditions.

RashanGary
12-23-2007, 03:55 PM
Everything about the conditions played to the favor of Chicago. This is why it's hard to go undefeated in the NFL.

The Bears deserved that win and if we have to play a game in similar conditions in the playoffs, we WILL lose. I'd bet on it. The Packers just cannot win if they have to rely on their run game and with the way they are stopping the run, they will not win if they have to stop the run either. Basically, they better hope for decent field conditions or it's one and done.

Scott Campbell
12-23-2007, 03:55 PM
Dunno, he had to pluck at least one snap down from outer space and then get a kick off. Not such an easy thing to do sometimes. Though you would think he'd have handled that first snap better.Rob Davis is to blame, not Jon Ryan. You would think that after as many years as he has been in the league, he would be able to snap the ball in any type of conditions.

His first fumble was snapped right to Ryan - perfectly. Rob Davis is still one of the best long snappers in the NFL, and Ryan better not pull a Longwell and blame his disaster on somebody else.

coolman3
12-23-2007, 03:58 PM

Did you watch the replays of those blocked punts? It sure as hell looks like Ryan hesitated once he caught the ball, like he had no confidence catching it.

The snaps where fine and dandy. Ryan choked.

FritzDontBlitz
12-23-2007, 04:01 PM
WOW. You guys sound fairer than Chicago's weather right now.

If you're gonna bitch at Ryan, bitch about a special teams coach who never tells his punter to shorten his drop because the wind is making the ball take too long to get to him. Blame your special teams coach for not telling your kickoff returners to move up some too, for the very same reasons.

It wasn't just Ryan. Who's supposed to adjust when Tillman slides up to rush the punter from the edge?

The Packers were in the wrong formations, called the wrong plays and just did everything wrong for the conditions. Too much shotgun. Too few running formations. NO involvement whatsover with the tight end. A totally unprepared defense that couldn't compensate for their weakened interior line. Blame the players for poor execution, but you have to blame the coaches for terrible preparation too. They never adjusted at all. They have no cold weather offensive philosophy, so they better get one real quick. This ain't a dome team, they play at Lambeau Field and they have a second round playoff game in weather that might be similar to this. They better use this game to prepare themselves.

cpk1994
12-23-2007, 04:05 PM

Did you watch the replays of those blocked punts? It sure as hell looks like Ryan hesitated once he caught the ball, like he had no confidence catching it.

The snaps where fine and dandy. Ryan choked.No the snaps were not fine and dandy. On both blocks, the snaps wwere wild. The second one popped up in the air and Ryan actually had to step forward just to catch it. Davis's snapping was horrendous.

BF4MVP
12-23-2007, 04:09 PM
Who gets two punts blocked, fumbles a snap, and has a 9-yard punt, all in the same game?

Just pitiful..

It's aboot time the Canadian straightens things out and performs better next week, eh?

cpk1994
12-23-2007, 04:10 PM
Who gets two punts blocked, fumbles a snap, and has a 9-yard punt, all in the same game?

Just pitiful..

It's aboot time the Canadian straightens things out and performs better next week, eh?If the blocking improves, not a problem.

coolman3
12-23-2007, 04:11 PM

The snaps where fine and dandy. Ryan choked.No the snaps were not fine and dandy. On both blocks, the snaps wwere wild. The second one popped up in the air and Ryan actually had to step forward just to catch it. Davis's snapping was horrendous.

Had Ryan released the ball quicker, he would have gotten them off. He was Mr. Hesitation today. He sucks.

Scott Campbell
12-23-2007, 04:12 PM

Just pitiful..

It's aboot time the Canadian straightens things out and performs better next week, eh?

We would have been better off de-activating Ryan today and handing the ball off to Morency on 4th and long.

Is it too late to sign somebody else?

Harlan Huckleby
12-23-2007, 04:12 PM
There was one or two plays where Ryan made no effort to get the punt off quickly. With the walls caving-in, he should have punched the ball out of there.

Mostly I don't blame Ryan, though, the blocking was poor.

cpk1994
12-23-2007, 04:13 PM

Had Ryan released the ball quicker, he would have gotten them off. He was Mr. Hesitation today. He sucks.Kind of hard to get the kick off when you have guys in your face becuase the snap takes forever to get to you or are practically fielding then on one hop.

coolman3
12-23-2007, 04:19 PM

Had Ryan released the ball quicker, he would have gotten them off. He was Mr. Hesitation today. He sucks.Kind of hard to get the kick off when you have guys in your face becuase the snap takes forever to get to you or are practically fielding then on one hop.

Dude just watch the replays of those punts. Ryan was holding the ball for eons, Hester could have WALKED all the way from his return position 40 yards away and still be able to block those punts.

cpk1994
12-23-2007, 04:21 PM

Dude just watch the replays of those punts. Ryan was holding the ball for eons, Hester could have WALKED all the way from his return position 40 yards away and still be able to block those punts.BS. On the second block, Ryan atried to rush the quick becuase he had to step forward to haulk in the snap before it hit the ground. If Davis guns the snaps back there like the bears snapper was, Ryan gets those kicks off.

Oscar
12-23-2007, 04:27 PM
I'd say lets fire Schottenshotter!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :lol:

FritzDontBlitz
12-23-2007, 04:29 PM
I do agree Davis' snap style might have contributed to the blocks. On the replay of the Tillman block, the ball looked like it stopped in mid-air before Ryan grabbed it.

His coach should have told him to move closer to lessen the time the ball was in the air. At least he would have been able to kick.

BallHawk
12-23-2007, 04:38 PM
Did Ryan play like shit? Yes.

Did he lose us the game? No.

coolman3
12-23-2007, 04:39 PM

Dude just watch the replays of those punts. Ryan was holding the ball for eons, Hester could have WALKED all the way from his return position 40 yards away and still be able to block those punts.BS. On the second block, Ryan atried to rush the quick becuase he had to step forward to haulk in the snap before it hit the ground. If Davis guns the snaps back there like the bears snapper was, Ryan gets those kicks off.

Whatever, man. I guess we see it differently.

cpk1994
12-23-2007, 04:41 PM

Did he lose us the game? No.I agree. All Im trying to say is that anyone who says that Ryan choked while giving Davis a free pass is ignorant. Davis, Ryan, and the blocking were all bad. I tend to be a little more critical of Davis becuase he has been in the league for over 10 years and should know better.

coolman3
12-23-2007, 04:43 PM

Did he lose us the game? No.I agree. All Im trying to say is that anyone who says that Ryan choked while giving Davis a free pass is ignorant. Davis, Ryan, and the blocking were all bad. I tend to be a little more critical of Davis becuase he has been in the league for over 10 years and should know better.

Or it could be that Ryan lacks to experiecen to kick in bad weather? I still think Davis did a good job. 95% of the blame should go to Ryan. 4% to the blocking. 1% to Davis.

BallHawk
12-23-2007, 04:45 PM
Ryan had never been in a situation like that before. He's been just fine as a punter for us this season and to judge him after one game is foolish.

Keep in mind, we scored 7 points. Ryan wasn't stopping us from moving the ball. on offense.

Scott Campbell
12-23-2007, 04:51 PM
Ryan had never been in a situation like that before.

Is it too much to expect a damned Canadian to be able to kick the stupid ball in the cold and wind?

Hey Ted - FIRE JON RYAN! Let Shottenheimer punt.

cpk1994
12-23-2007, 04:52 PM
Ryan had never been in a situation like that before. He's been just fine as a punter for us this season and to judge him after one game is foolish.

Keep in mind, we scored 7 points. Ryan wasn't stopping us from moving the ball. on offense.It's mostly knee jerk emotions in posts calling for a players head right after a game. When we all cool down we will move on to the next game and forget about this one.

Bretsky
12-23-2007, 04:56 PM

Did he lose us the game? No.

Keep in mind, we scored 7 points. Ryan wasn't stopping us from moving the ball. on offense.

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

shammye06
12-23-2007, 04:57 PM
I am glad I don't work for some of you. One bad day and I would be fired.

Bretsky
12-23-2007, 04:59 PM

good point

Fred's Slacks
12-23-2007, 05:04 PM
In weather like that, shits gonna happen. I blame the pansies on offense who couldn't get a damn first down. They looked like they wanted nothing to do with the ball. Besides Driver and Grant, none of the offensive players wanted the ball coming to them. They just wanted to go home and try again next week. Therefore we had a crap load of punts and a bunch of problems. The bears didn't punt as much because they actually sustained drives. Hell of an idea!

Not the end of the world, but extremely disappointing. It's going to take a little while before I am over this.

coolman3
12-23-2007, 05:10 PM
Let's just put it this way: I could have punted better that Jon Ryan.

gbgary
12-23-2007, 05:25 PM
i can't believe what most of you are saying. this game was lost as soon as they walked onto the field. nearly ALL the Packers sucked and it starts at the top. this team had nothing to play for today. what little motivation they had blew away in the -1 chill factored 40 mph wind. nothing was lost except a little pride. mm will have hopefully learned yet another coaching lesson. maybe next week he'll have them focused to end the regular season on a positive note. dallas is having motivation issues themselves and now they have to deal with the loss of TO. forget about today.

Cheesehead Craig
12-23-2007, 05:28 PM
This is funny. Ryan had to move to the side 2 steps twice on punts. One that got blocked and the one he squibbed right after it. The snaps stunk on some, the blocking was terrible and Ryan was poor on others. Plenty of blame to go around. To call for his job? That's imply posting an absurd statement to have one of your posts get a big response. :roll:

coolman3
12-23-2007, 05:30 PM
Jimmy Johnson, in a game, once released a RB right on the spot for fumbling.

FritzDontBlitz
12-23-2007, 05:37 PM
Let's just put it this way: I could have punted better that Jon Ryan.

In a 40 mph crosswind with 2 degrees wind chill? Sure. I'm guessing you're a better rapper than Vanilla Ice too.

You guys are underestimating the conditions. Today was a perfect example of why Chicago is known as "The Windy City" and why they call the winter winds "the hawk." It is icy cold and can cut right through you; your eyes well up with tears its so fuckin brutal to stare into. The way the winds were blowing it was at the Bears backs on the sidelines while it blew directly in Green Bay's faces. The was no solace from it the entire game. Think back to when FOX scanned the stadium at halftime: the fans on the Bears side of the stadium were still in their seats while then fans on the Packers side had all retreated to the mezzanine. The Packers are the youngest team in the league and they walked into one of the worst weather situations I've ever seen in Chicago. They aren't the first team that got totally outpsyched by the Chi-town weather, and they won't be the last. The last time a freaky weather front like this influenced a game it was last year when Seattle was forced to play in similar crap conditions. Before that it was Philly playing in the legendary "Fog Bowl" when even the TV crew had trouble showing the game.

Just be glad only the #1 seed was at stake today. Its just one damn game, you guys act like the Packers were just eliminated from the playoffs or something. Get over it, already.

FritzDontBlitz
12-23-2007, 05:40 PM
i can't believe what most of you are saying. this game was lost as soon as they walked onto the field. nearly ALL the Packers sucked and it starts at the top. this team had nothing to play for today. what little motivation they had blew away in the -1 chill factored 40 mph wind. nothing was lost except a little pride. mm will have hopefully learned yet another coaching lesson. maybe next week he'll have them focused to end the regular season on a positive note. dallas is having motivation issues themselves and now they have to deal with the loss of TO. forget about today.

Well said and I agree 100%.

RashanGary
12-23-2007, 05:41 PM
Solid post, Fritz. There is nothing to freak out about. That weather was exacly what this team is not built for.

HOPEFULLY we don't have to experience anything like that in Lambeau during the playoffs. I think we would stand a chance against the Giants, Seahawks and Buccaneers, but we would get dominated in that type of weather by Minnesota or Dallas.

GrnBay007
12-23-2007, 05:42 PM
Just be glad only the #1 seed was at stake today.

...and there were no serious injuries!!!

coolman3
12-23-2007, 05:44 PM
We lost momentum...because of Jon Ryan. :cry:

FritzDontBlitz
12-23-2007, 05:46 PM

Keep trying.

Cheesehead Craig
12-23-2007, 05:47 PM
Coolman3 has put up an awful post, he needs to be banned from the board immediately!

coolman3
12-23-2007, 05:51 PM
Coolman3 has put up an awful post, he needs to be banned from the board immediately!

What did I do? I sure hope this forum is not like the Packersnews forum, where the mod bans everyone by the minute.

Having momentum going into the playoffs is important. I sure hope McCarthy allows the starters to play the whole game next week, so they could gain back whatever momentum they lost today.

Remember 2003 (or is it 04?)? Pack didn't have momentum going into the playoffs and lost to Atlanta at home.

BallHawk
12-23-2007, 05:54 PM

We should sign Mike Sherman and let him punt. He'd be booming 60s no problem.

Freak Out
12-23-2007, 06:00 PM
Ryan blew goats today...but so did just about everyone else. Just an embarrassment of a game today.

Thankfully it was game 15 and not the first game of the playoffs for us.

Cheesehead Craig
12-23-2007, 06:01 PM

What did I do? I sure hope this forum is not like the Packersnews forum, where the mod bans everyone by the minute.

Having momentum going into the playoffs is important. I sure hope McCarthy allows the starters to play the whole game next week, so they could gain back whatever momentum they lost today.

Remember 2003 (or is it 04?)? Pack didn't have momentum going into the playoffs and lost to Atlanta at home.
Just using the same logic for your posts as you are coolman to Ryan.

A punter and the entire special teams had a bad day in 40 mph winds and -1 tems and you want to call for punter's head? It's stupid.

Scott Campbell
12-23-2007, 06:06 PM

Actually, you might get fired on even your best day.

:P

coolman3
12-23-2007, 06:06 PM
A punter and the entire special teams had a bad day in 40 mph winds and -1 tems and you want to call for punter's head? It's stupid.

Apparently, I am not alone.

What is stupid is seeking to ban a poster when he or she hasn't done anything wrong to warrent getting banned. I sure hope you are not a mod.

red
12-23-2007, 06:07 PM
ryan and davis don't deserve most of the blame

the wind screwed up both of them bad

davis is a great snapper always has been, the wind was screwing with all his snaps and making ryan adjust before he even got the ball, throwing him way off. did anyone notice how both qb's looked like crap throwing the ball, or how nobody could catch a ball? did anyone watch the extra points or the punts and kickoffs that did get off? did anyone notice how a ref had to hold the damn ball in between plays to stop it from blowing away?

the wind was a massive factor

but you can't blame the wind too much on the last block, that would have been blocked if everything had gone right

the team showed today why its a good thing why we don't have homefield throughout. we aren't built at all for those types of conditions

we'll have a better chance in the half dome then we will Lambeau at the end of january

FritzDontBlitz
12-23-2007, 06:13 PM

Thw momentum thing only kicks in if they stink up the joint in their last game. The season you refer to is when they got humiliated by the New York Jets and then embarrassed by the Falcons in the first round of the playoffs. There was no game in between, so no way to make up for whatever mental baggage THEY incurred by the loss to the Jets. Today's game was an ugly loss, but in freakish conditions the entire Packers staff are unaccustomed to. They play the Lions next week at Lambeau before getting a bye so there's time to forget this. It won't have the same effect it would if it was the last game of the season. Besides, the Packers embarrased the Bears on New Years eve and they still went to the Super Bowl, so I am not worried about today as much as so many on this board seem to be.

And CC was only joking. I wasn't. Get rid of the Vanilla Ice sig. NOW.

LOL

Cheesehead Craig
12-23-2007, 06:17 PM

What is stupid is seeking to ban a poster when he or she hasn't done anything wrong to warrent getting banned. I sure hope you are not a mod.
And I'll say it's stupid to all of them too.

The banning was a joke to show you how silly your claim that one bad day should determine Ryan's fate when he has been good all season. It would be akin to banning a poster for a bad post.

The Leaper
12-23-2007, 06:21 PM
No the snaps were not fine and dandy. On both blocks, the snaps wwere wild. The second one popped up in the air and Ryan actually had to step forward just to catch it. Davis's snapping was horrendous.

I agree.

Rob Davis won't be around next year IMO. He's had quite a few horrific snaps this year...both punts and field goals/extra points. He isn't worth the money or roster spot at this point.

coolman3
12-23-2007, 06:24 PM

And I'll say it's stupid to all of them too.

The banning was a joke to show you how silly your claim that one bad day should determine Ryan's fate when he has been good all season. It would be akin to banning a poster for a bad post.

Umm...ok. :)

Bretsky
12-23-2007, 06:26 PM

The banning might have been an extreme example coolman

We're as liberal as they get in here with things IMO so no need to worry

Cheers,
B

Maxie the Taxi
12-23-2007, 06:27 PM
Everybody on this thread has it wrong. Ryan's performance was planned. It was McCarthy's secret stratergery to keep the ball out of Hester's hands.

Scott Campbell
12-23-2007, 06:28 PM
Rob Davis won't be around next year IMO.

Somebody will have to beat Davis out before we can cut him. I don't even know who the backup long snapper is right now. I know in the preseason they were looking at the 7th round TE picked in the draft, but he got cut.

Davis had a holding penalty that was declined today too.

Scott Campbell
12-23-2007, 06:29 PM
We're as liberal as they get in here with things IMO so no need to worry.

Yeah, well the Extreme Liberal was banned!

:lol:

MJZiggy
12-23-2007, 06:47 PM
But it wasn't for his liberalism...

coolman3
12-23-2007, 09:48 PM
We're as liberal as they get in here with things IMO so no need to worry.

Yeah, well the Extreme Liberal was banned!

:lol:

You mean Anti-Polar Bear used to post here and he got banned? APB started a couple of threads at JSO saying he was an extreme liberal.

Partial
12-24-2007, 12:07 AM

You'd think so but I think when Scott Wells tried to snap the ball and it slipped said it all. It was just a nasty day and we weren't prepared for it.

Partial
12-24-2007, 12:11 AM

No one gets banned here so cool your jets.

Tarlam!
12-24-2007, 12:16 AM
I have vnever been on the kid's bandwagon. I admit when his dad passed, I was stirred. But I have never seen him to be consistant.

I also say "off with his head".

I am on the fire the Punter bandwagon, and this game only iced it for me.

Cheesehead Craig
12-24-2007, 08:51 AM
Favre was terrible yesterday too, why aren't you calling for his head?

Scott Campbell
12-24-2007, 09:14 AM
Favre was terrible yesterday too, why aren't you calling for his head?

Uhhh, because he's good.

Merlin
12-24-2007, 09:24 AM
This is just pathetic.

The WHOLE team sucked from the coaches right down to the last player. Blaming anything on one player is about as pathetic as you can get.

John Ryan is a good punter and if you think he isn't then you don't have a clue about the kicking game in the NFL. I don't see you calling for Crosby's head after his dismal performance in his first poor weather game. I also don't recall you calling for Ryan's head in that game either.

Face it, everything went Chicago's way and making excuses and being a tool isn't going to change the score.

b bulldog
12-24-2007, 09:32 AM
Great post, this is a team loss. Brett was totally outplayed by Kyle Orton :oops: , the WR's looked like they wanted no part of the weather, the line struggled,our D was shown up by a second string crew for the bears and our ST's to be kind, were not very special.

Zool
12-24-2007, 09:36 AM
This is just pathetic.

The WHOLE team sucked from the coaches right down to the last player. Blaming anything on one player is about as pathetic as you can get.

John Ryan is a good punter and if you think he isn't then you don't have a clue about the kicking game in the NFL. I don't see you calling for Crosby's head after his dismal performance in his first poor weather game. I also don't recall you calling for Ryan's head in that game either.

Face it, everything went Chicago's way and making excuses and being a tool isn't going to change the score.

QFT. Merlin nailed it. The entire team blew goats today. They didnt look prepared in the least and that starts at the top.

The O-line was playing matador on O so why not do it on special teams too? Did you happen to see the shanked punt? The ball moved almost an entire foot to his left between the drop and the kick. How the fuck is the guy to blame for that? Everyone calling for Ryan's head today were probably calling him great after that botched punt/first down run earlier in the season.

See my signature and subsequent avatar for details if you need to.

MJZiggy
12-24-2007, 09:36 AM
Oh they were 'special' all right. Hopefully they got to ride in the short bus on the way back to Green Bay. I agree with you both.

Noodle
12-24-2007, 09:44 AM
See, this Ryan kid is exactly why we need a big-ass wall on the border between us and Canada. Friggin illegals screw it up for everybody.

Scott Campbell
12-24-2007, 09:45 AM
See, this Ryan kid is exactly why we need a big-ass wall on the border between us and Canada. Friggin illegals screw it up for everybody.

AMEN BROTHER NOODLE.

Who wants a punter with a green (and gold) card.

Freak Out
12-24-2007, 09:48 AM

AMEN BROTHER NOODLE.

Ryan sucked yesterday....blame it on the Canucks socialized healthcare if you want.

GoPackGo
12-24-2007, 10:10 AM
No way do I think Ryan shold take all of the blame for this weeks pathetic punt unit performance. I do think that during the 2 weeks off after week 17 McCarthy should make the punt unit pay for this week by practicing punting 1000 times

MJZiggy
12-24-2007, 10:28 AM

AMEN BROTHER NOODLE.

Probably platinum too... :P

Scott Campbell
12-24-2007, 10:35 AM

AMEN BROTHER NOODLE.

Probably platinum too... :P

Was that a reference to his skin color - or lack thereof?

MJZiggy
12-24-2007, 10:37 AM
No, it was a reference to his green card, his gold card and his platinum visa.

Scott Campbell
12-24-2007, 10:40 AM
Who'd of thunk it. We've got a Canadian punter who can't kick unless it's nice outside. Maybe the Packers can play their home playoff game in the Hutson center just for Ryan.

Freak Out
12-24-2007, 11:10 AM
The thing that is inexcusable is that the punting unit never adapted to the elements...I grew up playing football in Alaska and when the weather got shitty you would go Reggie Roby in the punting game...get a little closer to the center and just kick it when you got it. No steps....nothing. Just get it out of there. The punter and the coaching staff need to get bitch slapped. Well they did....by the damn Bears.