PDA

View Full Version : What about Paul Edinger?

BlueBrewer
05-18-2006, 11:06 AM
I understand that we couldn't compete with the Colts when it comes to kicking conditions, but why have we not signed Edinger. He is the best available kicking option out there. Billy Cindiff scares me, he couldn't get the job done in big D so what makes him better in GB. I would think that Edingers price is considerably lower now that the draft a most of free agency is over. He looked pretty damn good kicking a 54 yarder last year to beat us. Maybe there will be some June first kickers cut but I haven't heard any whispers of that yet. I was happy that TT did not over pay to keep Longwell, I just wish he would have went to an AFC team so he couldn't stick it to us twice a year. Anyway these are my thoughts on the matter I am curious to see what other peoples' are.

billy_oliver880
05-18-2006, 11:08 AM
I thought Edinger was signed already?

MJZiggy
05-18-2006, 11:12 AM
No, it was on KFFL this morning that he's still looking for a gig and his agent thinks that even if he doesn't sign til mid training camp, he'd still be ok. Then again, his agen would think that now wouldn't he?

billy_oliver880
05-18-2006, 11:20 AM
No, it was on KFFL this morning that he's still looking for a gig and his agent thinks that even if he doesn't sign til mid training camp, he'd still be ok. Then again, his agen would think that now wouldn't he?

I am sure his agent is sweating right now.

Noodle
05-18-2006, 11:23 AM
I guess I'd wait. Edinger has been on the decline of late, and hit only 73% last year even though he was kicking in a friggin' dome. Longwell, who everyone thought had a crappy year, hit 74%. Career-wise, Longwell was a mid 80 percentage guy, Edinger a mid-70s.

I'm not saying write him off, but I might hold off and see who becomes available. I completely agree that Billy C is a complete waste of time. If you can't get it done in the warm, semi-dome of Dallas, you don't stand much of a chance in Lambeau.

Everythime I think about this, it grates me raw. Man did we blow it by not getting Longwell locked in. I know at the end we were offering good money, but we should have done the deal last year in mid-season when he was "struggling."

Tony Oday
05-18-2006, 11:42 AM
Edinger is taking the approach of the Anderson boys in terms of keeping conditioned in the offseason and will be ready to kick whenever someone calls according to his agent. It looks like he doesnt want to compete for the job but is waiting for a team to realize that the kickers they have arent up to snuff, according to the pioneer press in Saint Paul.

MadtownPacker
05-18-2006, 11:53 AM
Everythime I think about this, it grates me raw. Man did we blow it by not getting Longwell locked in. I know at the end we were offering good money, but we should have done the deal last year in mid-season when he was "struggling."longwell wasnt going to stay no matter what. Only surprise was that he went to the purple, which make him hated IMO.

BlueBrewer
05-18-2006, 12:10 PM
Are there any other kickers that might be on the way out the door June 1? Anyone...Anyone.....Bueler....Bueler

Noodle
05-18-2006, 01:29 PM
Mad, you're probably right about him wanting to leave, and I'm bigtime on board about hating the dude for going to the Vikes, BUT

1. You can understand the Vikes being willing to part with the most Do Re Mi seeing as how they knew Longwell was the real deal having faced him so often.

2. I still say if we had gone to Longwell with serious cash when he was having has issues mid-season, he would have gone with us. You gotta figure he was vulnerable, and an offer of love would have been welcomed at that point. Sort of like making your move at closing time rather than at 4 in the afternoon the day after.

Chubbyhubby
05-18-2006, 01:31 PM
Are there any other kickers that might be on the way out the door June 1? Anyone...Anyone.....Bueler....Bueler

After June 1st look for alot kickers trying out. The kicking game scares me alot when I think of the up coming season. With Longwell we knew pretty much knew it was a 3 points now we have no clue. Hope we get alot kickers in training camp.

Should be an intresting football year for green and gold!

HarveyWallbangers
05-18-2006, 02:03 PM
Edinger has been atrocious kicking outdoors for the last several years. I'd rather have Cundiff.

GBRulz
05-18-2006, 02:06 PM
I can see it now.... 4 seconds before the game goes into OT, we're playing at the dump, Longwell has a chance to win it with a 30 yard attempt and...WIDE RIGHT.

The next morning, Queen fans will be reading about how Longwell doesn't like his holder.

Hey, it's not THAT entirely off base, is it?? :wink:

Rastak
05-18-2006, 02:42 PM
I can see it now.... 4 seconds before the game goes into OT, we're playing at the dump, Longwell has a chance to win it with a 30 yard attempt and...WIDE RIGHT.

The next morning, Queen fans will be reading about how Longwell doesn't like his holder.

Maybe, but I've read in several places where holding really was a problem. I don't think I'd write him off just yet. Kickers can play a long time and he's been one of the better kickers in the league for years. Whenever he trotted out onto the field when playing against the Vikes I always knew there was almost no chance he'd miss it.

GBRulz
05-18-2006, 02:48 PM
Sorry Rastak, he's wearing purple right now...of course I have to write him off :wink:

mngolf19
05-18-2006, 04:31 PM
Hey, Longwell has to be better than what the Vikes have gone with the last few years. Anderson was good but very short. The rest over the last decade have sucked. Including Edinger.

Bretsky
05-18-2006, 05:58 PM

Longwell making game winners was normally automatic. His holders were atrocious last year in practice, the preseason, and regular season. The only thing we can fault him for is talking about the truth.

GBRulz
05-18-2006, 08:00 PM

Longwell making game winners was normally automatic. His holders were atrocious last year in practice, the preseason, and regular season. The only thing we can fault him for is talking about the truth.

I never said he was a bad kicker now did I? Just trying to have a little fun with the purple people.

Bretsky
05-18-2006, 08:09 PM

I never said he was a bad kicker now did I? Just trying to have a little fun with the purple people.

I know; be nice to me. I'm having a guy pms :wink: :mrgreen:

GBRulz
05-18-2006, 08:11 PM
I was going to ask if you've had your fiber lately..lol :lol:

GBRulz
05-18-2006, 08:12 PM
nice way to commemorate my 400th post...talking about B and fiber

MadtownPacker
05-18-2006, 08:52 PM
Whenever he trotted out onto the field when playing against the Vikes I always knew there was almost no chance he'd miss it.

Very true and thats the real reason I will hate him now. But watch out when you play the bears. I believe most of longwell's choke jobs have come against them.

Bretsky
05-18-2006, 09:36 PM
nice way to commemorate my 400th post...talking about B and fiber

400th post talking with B; no better dude to break history with :wink:

Fritz
05-19-2006, 10:48 AM
What's always been fascinating for me is the way GM's treat kickers and punters - mostly like an afterthought. Like picking up a loaf of bread on the way home - "oh yeah, I almost forgot we need that!"

These are the guys who can either win you the game or flush the hard work of your team down the toilet with a crappy kick or punt (see Bidwell, Josh, versus Philadelphia). I don't know why a GM wouldn't scout this area especially closely, pick up a couple guys, and work with them on the practice squad for a year or two and develop them. Think the the level of talent that's on a practice squad. Who's probably the most famous practice squad player from GB to make the big time? Probably Billy Schroeder. Be still my beating heart.

Noodle
05-19-2006, 10:55 AM
Fritz, I'm with you. I guess I can understand the contempt that most fans hold for kickers, but GMs should know better. All these kickers do is win or lose games for you. Especially in an NFL where there's so much parity, it amazes me that people don't seem to get how important field position and FG accuracy is.

Your example of Bidwell is very good. Fans love to grind Sherman for not going for it on 4th and 1, but cripes, if Bidwell sticks Philly inside the ten, that game is over.

Anybody notice how NE has managed to have such a great run? Sure, Brady has played great, but it would have been all for nothing if their kicker hadn't won big games for them, including a couple of SBs. So be satisfied with Billy C if you want, but I'm big time worried.

BlueBrewer
05-19-2006, 12:03 PM
I agree also; The player that score the most points in a season for a team should be thought of more highly than the water boy. I was a kicker in high school, obviously a much different situation than pro football but with enough practice, kicking is not that hard IMHO. Why are good kickers so hard to find?

billy_oliver880
05-19-2006, 12:13 PM
Why are good kickers so hard to find?

If you are going to kick in the NFL you better be damn good and being able to adapt to different conditions and be able to handle pressure from the fans and from the team.

Guiness
05-19-2006, 12:20 PM
What about Todd Peterson? He's floating around out there somewhere, and isn't bad, as far as I've seen.

Agreed, it will be interesting to see if the Vikes can satisfy Longwell's need for a perfect holder. People complain about carrying a dedicated long snapper, but Pederson was essentially a designated holder for a couple of years.

Scott Campbell
05-19-2006, 12:29 PM
What's always been fascinating for me is the way GM's treat kickers and punters - mostly like an afterthought. Like picking up a loaf of bread on the way home - "oh yeah, I almost forgot we need that!"

Afterthought? Our previous GM traded up to take a punter in the 3rd round.

mngolf19
05-19-2006, 12:38 PM
I believe the rule of thumb is that a bad kicker will cost you at least 1 game a year. In a 16 game season that is huge.

BlueBrewer
05-19-2006, 12:46 PM
I believe the rule of thumb is that a bad kicker will cost you at least 1 game a year. In a 16 game season that is huge.

Unless you are the Cowboys and then Billy Cundiff costs you 3 or 4 games and gets eaten by the Tuna.

BlueBrewer
05-19-2006, 12:49 PM
[quote="Guiness"]What about Todd Peterson? He's floating around out there somewhere, and isn't bad, as far as I've seen.

I have wondered about Peterson as well. I wonder what his story is? He has a well known kicking name, wasn't he in San Fran, Maybe Mcarthy has some insight to stay away.

mngolf19
05-19-2006, 12:51 PM

Unless you are the Cowboys and then Billy Cundiff costs you 3 or 4 games and gets eaten by the Tuna.

So if that happens to the Pack this year, does Hunt eat him?