PDA

View Full Version : Question about playoff bracket...

packers11
12-24-2007, 05:21 PM
http://www.sportsline.com/nfl/standings/playoffrace/bracket

if the #6 team (skins) win... Don't they play the best team, which would be Dallas???

So unless the Giants and Skins both win, there is no chance the Packers even play them unless they reach the championship game...

The Packers only two possible opponents (barring both upsets) would be the Seahawks or the Bucs...

Correct??? The #1 team plays the worst seed out of the bunch... The #2 seed gets the other matchup...

RashanGary
12-24-2007, 06:49 PM
Correct. We could also get the Giants if both the Giants and Redskins advance because the Redskins would be the lower seed, going to Dallas.

This is highly unlikely. The most likely sinerio is Dallas gets one of the wild card teams or Tampa like you said because I doubt two upsets will happen.

BallHawk
12-24-2007, 09:08 PM
I'm hoping we get Tampa Bay.

Jimx29
12-24-2007, 09:14 PM
Does it really matter?
We're running the table from here on out.

You heard it here first :)

4and12to12and4
12-25-2007, 04:06 PM
Correct. We could also get the Giants if both the Giants and Redskins advance because the Redskins would be the lower seed, going to Dallas.

This is highly unlikely. The most likely sinerio is Dallas gets one of the wild card teams or Tampa like you said because I doubt two upsets will happen.

Here's the only thing I don't get. The Skins beat the Vikings head to head. They are now the same record. Why is Minny still the sixth seed? Shouldn't they be on the out looking in, needing a Skins loss and a win? Are they going by conference record? If so, why? They didn't do that for Dallas and us. Dallas beat us, so the head to head win put them in front of us. Could someone clear this up for me?

Badgerinmaine
12-25-2007, 05:14 PM
Here's the only thing I don't get. The Skins beat the Vikings head to head. They are now the same record. Why is Minny still the sixth seed? Shouldn't they be on the out looking in, needing a Skins loss and a win? Are they going by conference record? If so, why? They didn't do that for Dallas and us. Dallas beat us, so the head to head win put them in front of us. Could someone clear this up for me?
Washington IS the sixth seed as things stand now:
http://www.sportsline.com/nfl/standings/playoffrace
The other link above shows the same thing. Minnesota now needs to beat Denver AND have Washington lose to Dallas. So, Washington is in the "win and in" position. There is also a small chance New Orleans can get in since they would win the tiebreaker with Washington and Minnesota. If Washington and Minnesota both lose, and the Saints beat the Bears, THEY would get the #6 seed. If all three lose, then there gets to be one heck of a headache breaking ties...but it looks like it would be Washington.

4and12to12and4
12-25-2007, 05:29 PM
Washington IS the sixth seed as things stand now:
http://www.sportsline.com/nfl/standings/playoffrace
The other link above shows the same thing. Minnesota now needs to beat Denver AND have Washington lose to Dallas. So, Washington is in the "win and in" position. There is also a small chance New Orleans can get in since they would win the tiebreaker with Washington and Minnesota. If Washington and Minnesota both lose, and the Saints beat the Bears, THEY would get the #6 seed. If all three lose, then there gets to be one heck of a headache breaking ties...but it looks like it would be Washington.

That's what I figured based on them having the same record and beating Minny, but everywhere I see and hear, everyone keeps saying that the Skins have to win to be in. But if they lose and Minny loses too, aren't they in, or is that where NO gets in if they win? So, if the Skins lose, Minny loses, AND NO loses, then the Skins go, right? Because, right now, the Skins should be in.

4and12to12and4
12-25-2007, 05:39 PM
OK, I just went on NFL.com and saw that they DO have the Skins in as the sixth seed. It was weird, during the Sunday night game, Al and Madden were acting like the Vikings were still in control of their own destiny. Never did they mention that since the Skins won, they were now in control and the sixth seed. I don't think they realized it. Maybe I just missed them saying it. OK. It all makes sense now. I thought the Skins were in. If they were the fifth seed, that would scare the shit out of me. They, too me, could be that team that sneaks in and reaks havoc. They are very talented. Them and the Eagles are the two teams I was kind of hoping didn't get in. They have scary good defenses, and can move the ball too, much like Tampa. Luckily, the Giants have the 5th seed, I'd much rather play them. And, at least if Washington gets in, and wins in the first week, they CAN beat Dallas. Then, at least they'd have to play in GB. Would you rather face the Skins at Lambeau or Dallas in Irvin? I don't like either team, they both have the capability of beating us, I really like Washington, and Collins has really looked good since replacing Campbell. Is Campbell out for the postseason, or is there a QB controversy brewing if they win in the playoffs? Would you rather see the Saints or Vikings in? I think Dallas would beat both of them, assuring the Championship game in Texas, so, maybe the Skins getting in and winning two games would be better for us?!

Joemailman
12-25-2007, 05:49 PM
This sets up a real interesting and frustrating situation for Viking fans. They have to win and hope that a Cowboy team, minus T.O. and probably resting starters, can beat the Redskins.

By the way, I've been expecting the Dallas/Washington game to be moved to Sunday night instead of Kansas City/N.Y. Jets. Anybody heard if this is going to happen?

BallHawk
12-25-2007, 05:59 PM
This sets up a real interesting and frustrating situation for Viking fans. They have to win and hope that a Cowboy team, minus T.O. and probably resting starters, can beat the Redskins.

By the way, I've been expecting the Dallas/Washington game to be moved to Sunday night instead of Kansas City/N.Y. Jets. Anybody heard if this is going to happen?

Titans/Colts is filling that SNF spot instead.

4and12to12and4
12-25-2007, 06:03 PM

They already moved Kansas City/Jets out, but they are playing the Titans/Colts game, because if the Titans win, they are in the playoffs. The Dallas/Skins game got moved to 3:00 and will probably be on Fox nationally. The Bears play at noon, so the midwest will probably get the Skins game, if not, I'm glad I've got the NFL Ticket, cuz it's going to be an interesting day!!!!! Should I root for the Vikings or the Skins? I'm so confused, I think we could beat the Vikings, but they will never get to us anyways, they will have to win in Seattle AND in Texas. The Skins, on the other hand, could beat Seattle, and could even beat Dallas, at least they would play them more physically and beat up on them. I kind of like that idea, I think I'm rooting for them, even though everyone will be going on and on about the East having three teams in the playoffs. But, who cares, do we really want any North teams getting playoff experience. I'd rather be the only team in the North going, it helps us next year.

Badgerinmaine
12-25-2007, 06:38 PM
OK, I just went on NFL.com and saw that they DO have the Skins in as the sixth seed. It was weird, during the Sunday night game, Al and Madden were acting like the Vikings were still in control of their own destiny.
That was true as long as that game was going :-) Had the Vikings won, I don't see a scenario where they would not have been in the playoffs. They would have been 9-6 and nobody could have caught them for the last spot. Now, though, they have the head to head loss to Washington holding them down.
Re. joemailman's post: The Browns are in pretty much the same spot as Minnesota, except they don't have to win (the only way a win actually matters for them is if the Titans tie). They're counting on a Colts team to beat Tennessee when Indy has little to play for.

Badgerinmaine
12-25-2007, 06:43 PM
It DID get moved--to the late afternoon game (4 Eastern, 3 Central Time) on Sunday. I think this is Fox's week for the doubleheader, so that would mean a lot of the country might get to see that one.

orbindale65
12-25-2007, 09:24 PM
dallas has had 6 primetime games already, so they couldn't move them to snf