PDA

View Full Version : PFW scouts DT Corey Williams

motife
12-24-2007, 05:52 PM
Ht : 6-3-5/8 Wt : 313, 40 time 5.21

Notes : Entered Arkansas St as a LB but moved to the DL early in his career, where he became a 3&1/2 year starter. Was hampered by an ankle injury as a senior and slid to the 6th rd (179 overall) of the 2004 draft. Saw backup action in 12 games in '04, seeing action all along the front at both ends and tackle spots, finishing with 24 tackles and a sack. Also made 4 special teams tackles. Played in 12 games again in '05, missing 4 games with a pulled calf muscle in November, and finished with 34 tackles and 2 sacks. Really emerged in his third season, entering the starting lineup for the final 11 games after notching 2 sacks vs. Detroit, finishing with 7 on the seaon from the inside, along with a career best 47 tackles and 3 batted balls. Has started 8 of 15 games in '07 and has recorded 32 tackles, 7 sacks, 3 forced fumbles and an interception. Is set to hit the unrestricted FA market in the spring.

Positives : Has a thick trunk and a naturally strong base. Fine instincts. Feels pressure, reads flow and gets over the top of blockers. Adequate hand use to rip off blockers. Can stack the corner and hold the point. Strong and understands how to play with leverage (even if he does not always do it.) Shows a nice spin move.

Negatives : Does not play with great balance and spends more time on the ground than he should. Will let his pads rise and can get knocked back, even flattened. Not quick, sudden or very explosive off the ball. Shows little twitch and is too often the last to move at the snap. Not much of a finisher. Short stepper. Plays to the level of competition. Gets stonewalled if he does not win at the snap. Questionable stamina.

Summary : On a strong, two gapping defensive line that protects its linebackers and allows them to roam free, Williams brings versatility to any spot. A serviceable starter who gets the job done in a rotation, Williams shows some big time flashes but is not consistent and is not the pass rusher that his sack totals would suggest he is. A big banger who is slippery enough to stay alive and produce, but much of his production comes as a result of the speed coming off the edge by DE's and LB's, and ballcarriers being flushed back to him. His numbers may be better than Cullen Jenkins', but Jenkins is far more disruptive, especially when he moves inside as nickel rusher, and draws attention that frees up Wiliams to make plays.

b bulldog
12-24-2007, 06:30 PM
Serviceable who gets the job done as a starter, I think I posted that about 5 times

RashanGary
12-24-2007, 06:43 PM
Nice write up. That's our C-dub.

The Leaper
12-24-2007, 11:25 PM
It doesn't sound like the kind of report that would earn him a big payday from anyone else...but stranger things have happened.

The only issue with keeping him is that he might fear the depth on the roster and want to go somewhere where playing time is more assured. Otherwise, I would think a fair deal would lock him up for 3-4 more years.

b bulldog
12-25-2007, 08:57 AM
Rotation guy, pure and simple

4and12to12and4
12-25-2007, 04:01 PM
It doesn't sound like the kind of report that would earn him a big payday from anyone else...but stranger things have happened.

The only issue with keeping him is that he might fear the depth on the roster and want to go somewhere where playing time is more assured. Otherwise, I would think a fair deal would lock him up for 3-4 more years.

If he can get decent money from us, I don't think most DT's care if they get rotated in and out, they probably like that, it keeps them strong and fresh through the game, and is easier on their bodies. I don't think that's as big a deal as it is for other positions in football. We need him, and I think it has been proven here, we need to keep ALL of these DT's. Rotating them and having Jolly and Pickett's big bodies in there are very important, as we have unfortunately found out. So, keep 'em all, and hopefully next year, they'll all be healthy at the end of the year.

Deputy Nutz
12-25-2007, 07:55 PM
He really doesn't deserve a contract bigger than the one Cullen Jenkins received.

orbindale65
12-25-2007, 09:19 PM
i agree on that. maybe a little less than Jenkins, who can play multiple positions

MJZiggy
12-25-2007, 09:38 PM
Welcome to the forum, orbindale65!

orbindale65
12-25-2007, 09:41 PM
thanks. i've been looking for one with good insights and sound knowledge for the last year or so. I've found it!!

Bossman641
12-25-2007, 09:41 PM
I've gotta think CW has been losing himself some money over the past couple weeks. He really hasn't shown up at all.

It's looking more and more like he really benefits from Jolly and Pickett wearing the OL down. With that said, I still hope we can get him locked up for at least 1 more year. He's an important part of our rotation.

orbindale65
12-25-2007, 09:50 PM
i haven't seen anyone benefiting from HIM being in there. Don't get me wrong, i think he's a contributor. but the ends and the other dt haven't done much either and that says something about what's going on the inside. as well, these guys do have to pace themselves according to how many plays they're in for in the gameplan. look what happened to the williams boys from minnesota against washington in the 4th quarter. they turned their backs to the block and tried to push in reverse. they were gassed. they are also all-pro dt's.

KYPack
12-26-2007, 08:32 AM
I think he is gone. He approaching the big payday. Haynesworth will get the premier DT contract, but Corey will get a big one, also. There are teams desperate for DT help. If say, Denver misses out on big Albert, they will throw huge money at CW. They have to, they have no DT's to speak of.

The Harrell pick was made with this situation in mind. There's no way we can pay Williams what he will get in FA. He was just inconsistent enough so we never extended him, now he will enter FA and there ain't much we can do about it.

The Leaper
12-26-2007, 08:36 AM
The Harrell pick was made with this situation in mind. There's no way we can pay Williams what he will get in FA. He was just inconsistent enough so we never extended him, now he will enter FA and there ain't much we can do about it.

Yeah, I think he is gone too. It is likely someone will overpay for him. Too much cap space out there right now...and too few quality interior defenders. I'm sure getting a guaranteed starting gig is going to be very important to Williams as well...and he won't get that in GB.

the_idle_threat
12-26-2007, 08:52 AM
I also agree that he will be overpaid in FA, and we should let someone else do that. I say the same for most FAs.

It's too bad we can't keep 'em all, because they do make an outstanding rotation with each guy playing his role, but it just isn't gonna happen. Somebody whoo really needs a defensive lineman will fall in love with Williams' sack numbers.

Good call on Denver, KY. That's a pretty good possibility, and they've proven in the past that they don't even need salary cap room to make a deal happen. :x

KYPack
12-26-2007, 10:06 AM
I also agree that he will be overpaid in FA, and we should let someone else do that. I say the same for most FAs.

It's too bad we can't keep 'em all, because they do make an outstanding rotation with each guy playing his role, but it just isn't gonna happen. Somebody whoo really needs a defensive lineman will fall in love with Williams' sack numbers.

Good call on Denver, KY. That's a pretty good possibility, and they've proven in the past that they don't even need salary cap room to make a deal happen. :x

I thought of Denver bc they gave Sam Adams a deal in '07. He was DONE. Corey is an All-Pro compared to fat Sam.

I think the Broncoes will unload the vault to get Big Al Haynesworth. The teams that miss on Haynesworth will go after Corey as a consolation prize. KC or St Looey might be CW's home.

the_idle_threat
12-26-2007, 07:04 PM
You think Haynesworth is gonna fly the coop from Tennessee? They won't franchise him? Interesting... I haven't followed what's going on down there.

RashanGary
12-26-2007, 07:35 PM
I havn't seen him play this year, but from what I hear he's the best DT in football right now. I would guess they franchise him but he should still get monster dollars even with the franchise leverage.

b bulldog
12-26-2007, 09:03 PM
No chance he leaves the Titans, They have quite a bit of room to work with next season and I also think they make a run at Chad Jonhson. Their WR's must be the worst in football.

Fritz
12-26-2007, 09:06 PM
Can the Packers tag Williams with say a second-round tender, so they get something when someone signs him? I'm not sure what his status is that way.

Tarlam!
12-27-2007, 04:10 AM
Williams has been real quiet of late.

His agent will be in his ear saying "Hey C-Dub, just do the bare necessities out there; don't risk a benching or an injury. Then, in the play-offs, rip the opponents another one on the national stage. That's when all those GMs not in the playoffs will be scouting ya, baby. Show them the ffort and they'll show you some green"

He will come out and be a beast after this Sundy.

The problem with this scenario comes at his new home. If Williams really does tick like my fictional depiction, he won't be an every-game-effort-guy like Kampy, Barnett and to an extent Jenkins (injury).

So, if I painted the right fantasy picture, I will be OK with saying good bye.

b bulldog
12-27-2007, 07:37 AM
Bye, bye, 99

Jerry Tagge
12-27-2007, 11:28 AM
Rotation guy, pure and simple
He's no Tuck Rule Brady.

Jerry Tagge
12-27-2007, 11:28 AM
Bye, bye, 99
99 was hot. What she was doing with Maxwell Smart is something I'll never figure out.

MadtownPacker
12-27-2007, 11:59 AM
Williams is proving that he aint shit without Cole and Jolly doing alot of the dirty work. Let him hit the road if he wants, he wont be worth the money he is gonna get.

Fritz
12-28-2007, 09:51 AM
Funny how quick things change. Earlier in the season on this site, people were deploring TT for having all this cap space and not re-doing Williams's contract...now people are willing to plant the boot square in the guy's backside. He really has not been the kind of force in the second half of the season that would justify the kind of money he's going to end up getting. And he'll get it, too. Teams overpay for those guys.

My Swami-like prediction: once the season is over and bidding for Williams heats up, there will be many, many posters who will be bitching at TT for not throwing the money out there to Williams.

Scott Campbell
12-28-2007, 09:53 AM
I don't think the Williams situation should be different from any other player situation. Sign him if you can. Don't overpay. It's not rocket surgery.

Fritz
12-28-2007, 09:54 AM
No, it's brain science.

RashanGary
12-28-2007, 12:53 PM
I think many people wanted to lock him up to a Jenkins like deal a year early rather than paying triple on the UFA market. When his agent broke off talks because they wanted to test UFA, the doubts started creeping in.

There is still a chance. You never know what might happen. I'm not willing to give C-dub top tier DT dollars. He's an average starter at best. There are a few sinerios that could happen that will keep him in Greenbay. I guess we just have to let it play out at this point.

The Leaper
12-28-2007, 01:02 PM
Funny how quick things change. Earlier in the season on this site, people were deploring TT for having all this cap space and not re-doing Williams's contract...now people are willing to plant the boot square in the guy's backside.

That is so true. Just like all the people moaning about not re-signing Green have conveniently shut their yaps.

I would love to keep Williams, just at a fair price. With free agency the way it is, it isn't likely he will sign a deal that is a fair price.