PDA

View Full Version : NFL Draft countdown rates the Packers draft

Rastak
05-18-2006, 11:29 AM
They are slowly doing each team....enjoy...

Following last year's draft the Green Bay Packers were widely criticized for not bringing in more immediate help for Brett Favre but that won't be the case this time around. In fact, the Packers brought in five players in the first three rounds who could end up starting for them as rookies, which would be quite a feat. Not only did the Packers draft quality in 2006 but they also brought in quantity, finishing with a total of twelve selections thanks to a number of trades.

It seems as though the minute the draft order was finalized everybody and their grandmother had Ohio St. linebacker A.J. Hawk down for the Packers in their mock drafts and as it turns out everyone was right. It came very close to not happening however because had the Texans taken Reggie Bush with the #1 overall pick the Saints were going to take Hawk, who they coveted, at #2. Hawk is quite a player and anyone who watched the Buckeyes play this past season would be hard-pressed to not like what he brings to the table. A great all-around 'backer with a knack for being around the action and making plays, Hawk is exactly what the Green Bay defense needed and he'll provide them with an instant starter and impact player in the front seven. With the first of two second round picks the Packers chose offensive tackle Daryn Colledge of Boise St., who will likely move inside to guard at the pro level. An undersized but very athletic and mobile offensive lineman, Colledge is a perfect fit for the Packers blocking scheme and should compete with Adrian Klemm for the starting job at left guard right away. With their next pick Green Bay chose Western Michigan wide receiver Greg Jennings, who will compete for the starting spot next to Donald Driver that opened up after Javon Walker was traded. Jennings doesn't have great speed but his hands are excellent and he does all the little things like run good routes, which makes him an ideal fit for the West Coast Offense. Personally I felt Jennings was a tad overrated but Green Bay certainly needed some help at the position and he was widely regarded as a 2nd round pick so I can't be too hard on them. Three picks and three potential starters, now that is what I call a fast start!

In round three the Packers brought in some more help at linebacker in Abdul Hodge of Iowa, who was extremely productive and could have even gone a little higher. Hodge can play either the middle or outside and with the Packers his best shot might be to battle Ben Taylor for a starting job. With their next choice the Packers got some additional help along the offensive line by selecting center Jason Spitz of Louisville. A versatile player with a mean streak, the Packers lost Mike Flanagan, their starter in the pivot, as a free agent so Spitz could battle former seventh rounder Scott Wells for the starting job early on. With their first pick on the second day in round four the Packers grabbed another wide receiver in T.C.U.'s Cory Rodgers to bolster their depth. Rodgers came out early as a junior and saw his stock slip a bit when he didn't run nearly as well as everyone expected but he plays faster than he times and is also an excellent return man.

With their second choice in round four the team brought in an interesting prospect by selecting Will Blackmon of Boston College. A cornerback for most of his career, Blackmon moved to wide receiver as a senior to help his team but saw his draft stock drop as a result. It looks like the Packers plan to move him back to defense, which I think is his best position, and he could compete for the dime job while also contributing as a top return man on special teams. In round five Green Bay chose one of the top sleepers in the draft in quarterback Ingle Martin of Furman, who really boosted his stock with a strong showing at the Scouting Combine. After starting his career with the Florida Gators Martin transferred down in competition and put up some impressive numbers. With Craig Nall moving on as a free agent Martin will likely be their #3 and a long-term developmental guy behind Brett Favre and Aaron Rodgers. With their second pick in round five the Packers reached for Nevada offensive tackle Tony Moll, who was a fringe prospect at best. A former tight end, Moll is very athletic and seems to fit the mold of what they look for in the position but won't make much of an impact this year.

In round six the Packers brought in some additional defensive help by selecting defensive tackle Johnny Jolly of Texas A&M and safety Tyrone Culver of Fresno St. Jolly is a good athlete for a man his size and dropped a little further than expected due to some injury concerns. With no true stud in the middle of their defense alongside free agent acquisition Ryan Pickett there could be opportunity for advancement if he's healthy. Culver enters a crowded situation at safety and at best it looks like he'll be battling last year's fourth round pick Marviel Underwood for a backup job behind Nick Collins. With their final pick of the draft Green Bay brought in another sleeper by choosing defensive end Dave Tollefson of NW Missouri St. A productive sack artist at his level, Tollefson is undersized and will be more of a long-term project if he is able to make the team.

Even though their performance fell off a bit in the later rounds the Packers did more than enough early on to earn a very solid grade, attacking their three major areas of need at linebacker, offensive line and wide receiver repeatedly. Look for Hawk to start immediately with Colledge, Jennings, Hodge and Spitz all having a legitimate shot at breaking into the starting lineup as well at some point as rookies. Even though their picks weren't flashy they are solid football players who will help provide a solid base not only in 2006 but for years to come as well.

GRADE: B+

MadtownPacker
05-18-2006, 11:48 AM
What a bunch of homers!

Culver is gonna beat out Underwood!

packrulz
05-18-2006, 02:10 PM
So if the Texans had taken Bush, the Saints would've taken Hawk, Tenn would've taken Young, the Jets would've taken Mario, & TT would've probably taken D'brick or traded down. I like the way it happened better. A solid draft!

wist43
05-18-2006, 06:28 PM
I agree, a very solid draft... which, given Green Bay's very shaky draft record over the past 6-7 years was very surprising.

It's going to take more than one good draft to completely win me over though... I'm still very suspicious of the scouting dept as a whole, and I absolutely hate what TT did in the Walker fiasco.

I'll give credit where credit is due - it was a good draft. Now, hopefully most of these guys can get on the field and contribute.

Murphy37
05-18-2006, 09:50 PM
Well Hawk is not up for discussion, because we all expect him to do well. To me the most interesting prospects are Hodge, Spitz, and Jennings. I just love the Hodge pick up. To me, this guy was very underrated in the draft. I know this years class was full of playmaking LB's, but this guy seems like a standout to me. His stats speak for themselves, and I can't find anything negative about him. I also love this "Meanstreak" reputation that Spitz has. No more of this easy goin Whittaker attitude. I want a guy who, as Mick would say, "Eats Lightnin and Shits Thunda." I'm pullin for this kid to bring back that Frankie Winters Toughness we have been lacking. Jennings just intrigues me because people seem to either have him as underrated or overrated. And because I feel that wide receiver is a huge concern in 06.

Bretsky
05-18-2006, 09:53 PM
I agree, a very solid draft... which, given Green Bay's very shaky draft record over the past 6-7 years was very surprising.

It's going to take more than one good draft to completely win me over though... I'm still very suspicious of the scouting dept as a whole, and I absolutely hate what TT did in the Walker fiasco.

I'll give credit where credit is due - it was a good draft. Now, hopefully most of these guys can get on the field and contribute.

The way the draft unfolded TT clearly was not content with the smokescreen he sent out about being content entering the season with guys like Coston and White competing for two jobs. If we had the OL in camp, it sure would have been interesting to see the Packers go

1- AJ Hawk
2- Chad Jackson
2- Jimmy Williams
3- Abdul Hodge

And then go OL or Best Player Available from there with some trade downs.

SD GB fan
05-18-2006, 10:13 PM
The way the draft unfolded TT clearly was not content with the smokescreen he sent out about being content entering the season with guys like Coston and White competing for two jobs. If we had the OL in camp, it sure would have been interesting to see the Packers go

1- AJ Hawk
2- Chad Jackson
2- Jimmy Williams
3- Abdul Hodge

that wuda been an awesome draft. tho im not sold on chad jackson as someone people are. honestly, im happy with greg jennings over jackson.

Bretsky
05-18-2006, 10:16 PM

1- AJ Hawk
2- Chad Jackson
2- Jimmy Williams
3- Abdul Hodge

that wuda been an awesome draft. tho im not sold on chad jackson as someone people are. honestly, im happy with greg jennings over jackson.

For me, Jimmy Williams, unless he was a terrible person, would have been nearly impossible to pass on. He's a young CB with incredible talent. Then if you don't love Jackson, you trade down and can grab Jennings or the OL.

SD GB fan
05-18-2006, 10:23 PM
agreed. imagine wat the packers cuda have done with this years deep draft class if it kept the 2003 offense. it wuda have been an influx of tremendous defensive talent.

aj hawk
jimmy williams
greg jennings (upgrade over chatman for WR4 or WR3 and KR/PR)
abdul hodge

HarveyWallbangers
05-18-2006, 10:49 PM
Rumors are Jimmy Williams was taken off some teams draft boards because of the type of person he is. I gotta believe his attitude is the big reason he fell. I'm not against Thompson avoiding those types of guys.

Bretsky
05-18-2006, 10:54 PM
Rumors are Jimmy Williams was taken off some teams draft boards because of the type of person he is. I gotta believe his attitude is the big reason he fell. I'm not against Thompson avoiding those types of guys.

Agree; if he's a Joey Thomas kind of guy it's OK to let him fall; but if he's not he'd have been a great fit.

If Williams was that bad of a person, then the tradedowns made sense. Personally I liked Jackson more than Jennings, but they could be comparable. I liked Jackson because he offered more home run hitting ability on the long ball.

Good playoff games lately; I ranted some more in the Bucks forum after watching Cassell lead the frickin Clippers to lookin good.

Chubbyhubby
05-19-2006, 12:21 AM
Its going to be intresting following Jennings and Jackson careers. To compare the two recievers.

SD GB fan
05-19-2006, 12:24 AM
Its going to be intresting following Jennings and Jackson careers. To compare the two recievers.

ya shud be fun. but its hard to tell whos better cos they play under different conditions and stats dun tell the whole story. but i look forward to the patriots game this year

Tarlam!
05-19-2006, 01:19 AM
I have to say, looking over the article, I love our draft even more today than when it was on. The dust has settled and I like what we got. Only N.O. had a better draft IMO.

If N.O. had of taken Hawk, Mario might have fallen to us, cause I think the Jets were in love with the Brick. I know they had a need at DE. Brick is a special player, and I think he will help that team immensely.

I love our draft!