PDA

View Full Version : Wish us luck--closing on our first house on Friday

Badgerinmaine
12-26-2007, 12:28 PM
My wife and I are closing on our first house on Friday. It's in a very nice neighborhood only a half a mile away from our current apartment. It's been owned by the same family since it was built in 1956. The inspection didn't turn up anything we can't fix, and we got a heck of a deal on it. Wish us luck--we're now off to see my in-laws in Ct.

MadtownPacker
12-26-2007, 12:32 PM
It's a nice feeling having your own pad. Congrats man.

Scott Campbell
12-26-2007, 12:40 PM
Pretty good Christmas present - congrats!

MJZiggy
12-26-2007, 01:25 PM
Gotta love homeownership. May you have the place as long as the last folks and make many happy memories there. Congrats.

GrnBay007
12-26-2007, 01:26 PM
Congrats!!!

They say home is where the heart is, but for me, I never felt renting seemed "homey".....esp. after you already owned and then rented afterward.

oregonpackfan
12-26-2007, 01:26 PM
Good luck. I think you should feel confident you are buying a house built in '56. That was an era where the craftsmen took pride in the quality of their work and did not skimp on the quality of their materials.

I shudder to look at some of the new housing developments in the Portland, OR Metro area. Some of the builders hire semi-skilled, illegal workers at minimum wage for their employees. In addition, some of the materials are cheap particle boards which are allowed to get wet in the continual winter rains of our state.

I fear that a few short years from now, those new owners will have structural as well as mold problems.

Scott Campbell
12-26-2007, 01:49 PM
Some of the builders hire semi-skilled, illegal workers at minimum wage for their employees.

I think you've just insulted 99% of Mad's family.

Badgerinmaine
12-26-2007, 01:50 PM
(as I am dashing out the door for the in-laws......)Thanks for the good wishes! Yes, the house is well-crafted--has "good bones", our realtor likes to say. Of course the kitchen hasn't been remodeled since they built the house, but my wife enjoys thinking about that sort of house project. The builder who built this house and all the others in the neighborhood is still around 50 years later, which says a lot to me.
I'll check in again later and let you folks know how it came out.