PDA

View Full Version : Nick Barnett taking action against referee

Brando19
12-26-2007, 09:44 PM
I found this on nfl.com
http://www.nfl.com/news/story?id=09000d5d8057b632&template=without-video&confirm=true

I don't blame Nick, I'd push this to the limit. Those refs are horse collar tackling!

MadtownPacker
12-26-2007, 09:49 PM
I think he should just have let it go. M3 spoke up about it, that was good enough.

Jimx29
12-27-2007, 12:52 AM
Pereira said it was "over the line"
http://youtube.com/watch?v=cA4T5iRERo0
alternate link:
http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v24/numbnutz/?action=view&current=quirky.flv

I don't follow who's team of refs call what games, but if, as Barnett says, this is the third time for Quirk to act up, well then it's time to push it for all it's worth.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3169226&campaign=rss&source=NFLHeadlines

sepporepi
12-27-2007, 05:11 AM
I think he should just have let it go. M3 spoke up about it, that was good enough.

I don't think so. The ref grabbed him from behind by the neck, so he had no chance to see it was a ref and I doubt he expected a ref to be so aggresive. Nick could have easily panicked in fear of stifling.

Had he hit the ref in a try to free himself, he would have been suspended for sure. Maybe even for the rest of the season. That is why I think the ref should be held accountable and not just warned to be nice in the future. Otherwise it is an invitation for refs to attac and even hurt players since nothing happends and the player even can ont defend himself since he would be suspended a long time for hitting a ref.

Don't get me wrong the protection of the refs is essential in a violant sport like NFL Football, but any ref who doesn't play by the rules should be punished just like a player.

Tarlam!
12-27-2007, 05:44 AM
Sep, you don't think every Crew will be hot to avenge Quirk?

Bad enough that M3 literally bragged how he "instructs" the Zebras prior to each game about the opponents' penalty/foul making tendencies. Now M3 shoots over this new incident publicly and to make matters even less favourable, Barnett wants blood publicly.

We are heading into the playoffs. One major screwed up call can cost us the season and will only earn us a public apology. Remember the force out?

The refs won't come out and say they're ready to take a fine for a personal foul like some players have this season. They don't need to worry about a fine, anyways....

Rastak
12-27-2007, 07:36 AM

I agree with Mad. You don't want the refs really pissed at your team....

Grant into the clear.....TD oops.......holding.

Incomplete pass by Romo, 4th down......oops......roughing the passer.

Intercetped by Bigby...TD! Flag on the play, defensive holding....

As far as the incident itself, if the ref didn't tell him to move and just grabbed him from behind, he was totally in the wrong. If he only told Barnett to move once he was still wrong in my opinion. If he told him 5 times or so and kept getting ignored, I'm fine with it. Given how quick it happened I'm guessing it was one of the first two.

The Leaper
12-27-2007, 07:43 AM
I thought it was rather ridiculous, but I'm not sure what Barnett is expecting to get by doing this. If anything, he is going to piss off the refs and make them call more penalties against him.

He apparently still has not learned the lesson that it is sometimes better to not rock the boat.

MadtownPacker
12-27-2007, 07:54 AM
I want to clarify that I am on Barnett's side. When I saw the choke hold the first thing I thought was "that looks like a cop move" so I knew it was way overboard. But the fact stands the team will not gain anything by putting up a fight. This was an unusual thing and likely wont happen again IMO.

Considering Barnett has his own legal troubles to deal with I think he would be best to STFU in public and make sure to hold this as a bargaining chip when the court stuff is done.

Tarlam!
12-27-2007, 08:08 AM
When I saw the choke hold the first thing I thought was "that looks like a cop move" so I knew it was way overboard.

This expert analysis is brought to you by Quaker's Tortillas, available now in all .........

Bwahaahahaahahaha.

OK, I'll pour me another and just shut the f up..... :cry:

MJZiggy
12-27-2007, 09:37 AM
He said in the interview he was filing a grievance, but then was gonna let M3 handle it, which apparently he already did. So this is as much a fuss as is gonna be made cuz M3 isn't talking about it anymore either.

I was thinking that Quirk just sees so much football, he just wanted in on it. I wonder if they're gonna be keeping this crew away from the Green Bay games for the rest of the season. I would imagine Periera has it in his power to do that and if M3 was happy with the outcome of the meeting with him, I'd imagine that something like this might have been agreed to.

cpk1994
12-27-2007, 10:20 AM
Bad enough that M3 literally bragged how he "instructs" the Zebras prior to each game about the opponents' penalty/foul making tendencies. Now M3 shoots over this new incident publicly and to make matters even less favourable, Barnett wants blood publicly.
And that is different from the other 31 coaches how? All coaches "instruct" the refs on the other teams penaty tendencies. Its called working the refs. No big deal.

CaptainKickass
12-27-2007, 11:33 AM
The ref referred to as "Quirk" just saw that stupid "Bud Light" commercial once too often and really wanted to get his beer.

:shock:

Tarlam!
12-27-2007, 11:53 AM
And that is different from the other 31 coaches how? All coaches "instruct" the refs on the other teams penalty tendencies. Its called working the refs. No big deal.

Sorry for being an idiot about "working the refs".

Oh, and sorry, I didn't know 31 other teams made it a title story this season, because, that's exactly what it was in Title town.

Sorry, I am so naive to think that refs might take offence to being publicly educated by coaches.

No big deal. Just me being a Sports Idiot again.

MadtownPacker
12-27-2007, 11:57 AM
Don't get me wrong the protection of the refs is essential in a violant sport like NFL Football, but any ref who doesn't play by the rules should be punished just like a player.I agree but as witnessed in the spygate scandal the NFL protects it's own. Like Rastak and others have mentioned, no need to have the refs aiming for you. That is really my only concern considering all the bad calls that have went against the Pack this year already.

MJZiggy
12-27-2007, 12:20 PM
Don't get me wrong the protection of the refs is essential in a violant sport like NFL Football, but any ref who doesn't play by the rules should be punished just like a player.I agree but as witnessed in the spygate scandal the NFL protects it's own. Like Rastak and others have mentioned, no need to have the refs aiming for you. That is really my only concern considering all the bad calls that have went against the Pack this year already.

True, but these guys are doing a job just like anyone else. How long do you think your company's gonna keep you around if it has to continually and publicly apologize for your screwups? I gotta think that there are people out there who actually wanna be refs on national tv.

cpk1994
12-27-2007, 01:23 PM
And that is different from the other 31 coaches how? All coaches "instruct" the refs on the other teams penalty tendencies. Its called working the refs. No big deal.

Sorry for being an idiot about "working the refs".

Oh, and sorry, I didn't know 31 other teams made it a title story this season, because, that's exactly what it was in Title town.

Sorry, I am so naive to think that refs might take offence to being publicly educated by coaches.

No big deal. Just me being a Sports Idiot again.
Please. If the referees are so offended and thin skinned to start getting back at McCarthy by intentionally screwing with calls, then they need to get the hell out of the NFL.

Tarlam!
12-27-2007, 01:49 PM
Please. If the referees are so offended and thin skinned to start getting back at McCarthy by intentionally screwing with calls, then they need to get the hell out of the NFL.

Please, if the players need a CBA and a players union to put forward their billion dollar gripes, I think maybe a few amateur Zebras might be rightfully accused of being humans.

They're in a friggin' union! Do they look white collar to you? Do you think blue collars are thick skinned when it comes to being mocked publicly for a few bucks in overtime wages?

KYPack
12-27-2007, 02:52 PM
It was NB's agent that shot his mouth off.

He should have STFU, too.

No good can come out of bitching about some stupid shit like this.

The ref's are out of control this year. There was the game where one of 'em was ncalling a player "boy". There is no excuse for this crap.

Packers4Ever
12-27-2007, 03:40 PM

Have to agree with you, Mad - Coach has backed Nick up, everyone's
had time to cool down. Hopefully the NFL is seeing all this and being
more watchful now and in the future, as far as Refs go.

Hmmm doesn't it make you wonder what NFL reaction might have been
if it was Teddy Bruschi (sp) or Tom B. who had this happen to them?
End of comment.

Harlan Huckleby
12-27-2007, 05:04 PM
The NFL is out of line. That ref's heimlich maneuver should have drawn a fine or suspension. Sometimes you have to stand up on principle; and the notion that the refs are going to pick on the Packers because Barnett files a grievance is far-fetched.

Madtown comes from a background that says keep your mouth shut and keep picking the grapes even when The Man gives you a kick in the groin. I'm not judging that point of view, deportation is a bitch, but us real Americans, the sons and daughters of the Great American Revolution, know about dignity and standing up for what is right.

cpk1994
12-27-2007, 06:05 PM

Please, if the players need a CBA and a players union to put forward their billion dollar gripes, I think maybe a few amateur Zebras might be rightfully accused of being humans.

They're in a friggin' union! Do they look white collar to you? Do you think blue collars are thick skinned when it comes to being mocked publicly for a few bucks in overtime wages?This is the NFL, not the California Penal League. If the refs want to work in the NFL, then they need to be able to handle the public srutiny that goes with it, just as the players do. IF they are going to screw with calls becuase they are so easily offended then Goodell needs to fire them becuase they shouldn't be in the NFL in the first place.

BEARMAN
12-27-2007, 09:18 PM
All I got to say about this whole situation.... " WAAAaaaaaaaaa" ! :P

Jimx29
12-27-2007, 09:24 PM
All I got to say about this whole situation.... " WAAAaaaaaaaaa" ! :P
http://i4.tinypic.com/6xhhe6o.gif