PDA

View Full Version : McCarthy Press Conference, Dec. 26, New School vs Old School

Maxie the Taxi
12-27-2007, 12:02 PM
(What factors will go into how long the starters will play?)
New School McCarthy: That's something that if you had asked me Monday, we'd play the whole game. But I think it's important for us to be smart with our football team. I want everybody to go through the week of preparation, and I want to use Wednesday, Thursday and Friday to make that decision. So I really don't have an answer for you, but I will be smart with the football team.

Old School McCarthy: The only factor will be how long I think they should play.

(With the guard situation, is there anything you can get out of this last game?)
New School McCarthy: I would just like the consistency to improve in some areas. That's what we're looking for, and another game will help those guys. It does not help with the number of times we have moved them. I'm aware of that. But it's important at that position for someone to grab a hold of it and solidify the interior of our line.

Old School McCarthy: Whoever I start against Detroit will start from now on.

(After the Chicago game, you said you saw some things manifest from the St. Louis game. Anything in particular?)
New School McCarthy: No, I just didn't think we were very sharp against St. Louis. I thought St. Louis was a football game where our special teams clearly won the game for us. That was the most dominant performance that I've been part of, or that I've seen as far as field positions and the opportunities to score points, and we did not take full advantage of that on offense. The defense I thought started slow. The point I was making was our practice wasn't as sharp leading up to St. Louis, and to me it carried over to the game. To play in that stadium down there with that many fans from Green Bay, there were so many things in my opinion that tilted in our favor. We had an opportunity to play better. We won the game by 19 points, I'm aware of that, and that's just all in the realm of trying to win and improve. And as we went through Chicago week, there were some things that I did not like. I addressed it on Wednesday, I addressed it again on Thursday, a lot more in depth on Thursday. I'm not saying that's why we lost the game. I've seen our football team not have the best practice weeks, but it's more about how we went about it. That's the way we operate here, and we got back after it today and I thought today was a good practice.

Old School McCarthy: Last week my players didn’t listen. This week I will get their attention.

(As you're considering how long to play starters, anything you'll study or anyone you'll ask for advice?)
New School McCarthy: Those are things I've done more in the offseason, when you have different conversations. I think it's very important just to keep your finger on the pulse of the football team, how they're preparing and how they're playing. I think there's a direct correlation. Sometimes you're proven wrong by the way the course of the week goes, but more times than not I think it's a direct carryover. We need to be smart. Ted and I have talked about it again today. We talked about it yesterday. We're just going to go with what we feel. I'm not calling somebody to get their vote of approval. But I know there are people who have been through this before. It's important for us to line up in two weeks and be healthy and ready to go.

Old School McCarthy: If they’re not hurt, they’ll play. And I will decide who’s hurt and how long they’ll play.

(When you said on Monday, you thought about playing them the whole game, are you taking some emotion out of it now?)
New School McCarthy: I think so, definitely. It's important in any decision you make personally or professionally to take the emotion out of it. There was some emotion I'm sure involved in that decision, and you want to be playing very well. I think you can really categorize it a lot like the preseason. Everybody puts a lot of weight into the third preseason game. If in the third preseason game, if things don't go well, maybe you play a little longer in the fourth preseason game. I know our fourth preseason game, we felt the offense didn't have enough snaps so we played a little longer. Those are all types of experiences you draw from. Winning 12 football games, it's tough to do. We are the No. 2 seed in the NFC. It's important for us to take full advantage of that opportunity, and that will be the determining factor as we move through the week.

Old School McCarthy: Nope. Our starters will play until I decide to pull them…if I decide to pull them.

(Did you see during the game Sunday that Favre just wasn't into it?)
New School McCarthy: Brett? No, I thought he was into it. That's a tough game for a quarterback to throw the ball that many times. I wouldn't say that he was not into it. I thought the communication on the boundary was very good. I thought I put him in a tough position there in the fourth quarter. I was trying to spread their defense out and get the ball to our perimeter players and hopefully make a play to get it to a one-score or two-score game as it went through the third and fourth quarter. But I wouldn't say he was not into it. I don't have that opinion.

Old School McCarthy: If a player’s not performing, I bench him. I don’t care who the hell he is.

(Were the guys' concentration affected by the cold?)
New School McCarthy: I think we did not handle the weather very well at all, and that's something we talked about as a team today. We talked about the focus, we talked about the preparation leading up to that, what can we learn from that particular game, the wind and so forth. And we have moved on from it, but it's an experience that we need to definitely learn from, because our performance was unacceptable. We will not play like that again. I won't tolerate that.

Old School McCarthy: What cold?

(Do you feel like you still have to prove you can win in a bad-weather game, or were those conditions so extreme you don't worry about it?)
New School McCarthy: Those are extreme conditions. I've been a part of a number of games, and there's people in this league who have coached and played in a lot more games than I have, too. For people to keep telling us that's the worst ever seen it. I thought the game I participated in Chicago three years ago, I thought the wind was very similar that I recall, but the temperature was probably 30 degrees warmer. It was a different type of day from that standpoint. It's extreme weather. We're the Green Bay Packers. Everybody talks about coming to Lambeau in January and do not want to play there. We're supposed to like that weather, and we did not look like we liked it very much this past Sunday.

Old School McCarthy: We’re the Green Bay Packers! The more extreme the weather, the better we like it.

(Crosby is on the verge of leading the league in scoring, and on the verge of setting a Packers scoring record for a kicker. Did you have those expectations for him when you decided to go with him over Rayner?)
New School McCarthy: When I saw Mason Crosby go through training camp, I don't look at things that way, like hey, this guy is going to break all kinds of records. He clearly in my view was the best kicker, hands down. His preparation, the way he handled the everyday grind of it. We kicked those guys more than any kickers I've seen kick in training camp. One guy complained about it, one guy liked it. He's as steady as they come. I'm not surprised by it at all. He's very consistent for a young player. I really like that, especially in skill-position players as Mason is, and I think he has a very bright future. The way he lifts the ball up, that's as good as I've seen in my time in this league. I think he's talented, I think he's tough-minded, I think he's consistent, and that's what you're looking for.

Old School McCarthy: I don’t give a damn about records. Winning is the only thing we care about. Our current kicker’s only job is to make a field goal when I send him in there to kick one.

(His last couple games at Lambeau, he's only made 2 out of 6, are you concerned about that?)
New School McCarthy: I'm not concerned about it, and if it comes down to making a decision whether to kick or not to kick, we'll probably kick it. I believe in Mason Crosby.

Old School McCarthy: We won those games despite our current kicker not doing his only job. Our current kicker should be concerned.

(Have you had any conversations with the league about the incident with Barnett and the official?)
New School McCarthy: I talked to Mike Pereira shortly after I spoke here. I'm comfortable with the conversation. It's something I can't share. I'll just say this about Mike. I think Mike does an excellent job of being pro-active, taking on issues when they do occur. I was very comfortable with the conversation, and I feel good about the direction we're going.

Old School McCarthy: No. I fined Barnett for losing his head.

(Have you settled on Blackmon as your nickel?)
New School McCarthy: I don't know if we're ready for that. I know we have a couple positions...I'm comfortable with him being in there, but I'm also comfortable with the way we're playing those guys. I think competition is healthy, I think they all contribute when they play, the roles that they have been playing, so I don't feel the desire for just one guy at that particular position to take a hold of it. I think it benefits us as a group to have the depth there.

Old School McCarthy: We’re not playing nickel anymore. Or dime. Or any other of that bullshit. From now on we’ll have our best eleven man-on-man cover guys on the field in every situation.

(Was that a match-up decision against the Bears or did you want to get a full game with him?)
New School McCarthy: I would say it's more probably match-up. I'm trying to reflect off Bob and the conversations earlier in the week. I could be wrong. I want to say it was more match-ups. But it's really that corner group, they're competing. Aaron Rouse, he's pushing the two safeties. I think that's healthy. We also have the same situation at the guard position. I think it's healthy when all those guys play, and they'll play a bunch this week too.

Old School McCarthy: We play our game. We expect the other team to adjust to us.

(Is Bush on track to come back this week?)
New School McCarthy: I expect him to come back this week, yes.

Old School McCarthy: He will be ready if I need him.

(Why didn't Rouse play last week?)
New School McCarthy: He kind of went through the week just with some things that he was struggling with, and it just kind of worked out that way.

Old School McCarthy: He will play next week and start from here on out.

(Physically?)
New School McCarthy: Physically, yes.

Old School McCarthy: Huh?

(Do you anticipate the Lions treating this game as their Super Bowl?)
New School McCarthy: I'm sure they're going to come in and do everything they can to win the football game. To end their season with two wins in a row is something they can build off of, and they have improved from last year clearly, so their program in my view is definitely going in the right direction. I'm sure those are all things they're looking at. And the opportunity to win here for the first time since 1991, to me those are all important points you can motivate your football team with. We talked today as a football team as we prepared for this game. It's important for us to finish 13-3 and be tied for the best regular-season record. Those are all things you point to during the course of a week when you put up the objectives and points of emphasis for your opponent.

Old School McCarthy: The other team can treat the game any way they want. This is a regular season game at Lambeau Field. The Green Bay Packers plan to win it.

(Are you doing anything different on the punt team this week?)
New School McCarthy: I'm not comfortable with the way the game went Sunday, but the mistakes that we made, just on the right side, the elementary technique, my goodness. We worked it a little longer than normal today. We have to handle the football. Once again, we have to handle the wind. We had the ball on the ground and had all the problems with it, and Chicago did a great job with it. We just need to do a much better job. We're not going to change the way we do it or schematically and so forth. We were very poor in that area.

Old School McCarthy: Yes.

(Have you ever seen any indication Jon Ryan has had trouble handling snaps before?)
New School McCarthy: We have worked with Jon on some of his mechanics, and that's an area he can continue to improve on. But I did not see any indication that would make me believe he'd have a game like he did in Chicago.

Old School McCarthy: My job is to make sure he won’t have trouble handling snaps for us in the future. Trust me. I will do my job, one way or the other.

(Would it be too much of a risk to play Rodgers with that hamstring?)
New School McCarthy: Talking with Aaron down on the practice field, he was going to push it in rehab today, to see where he is with the hamstring. Obviously, he would like to play. But it will probably take the week. Tomorrow will be an indication, how he responds to today's rehab.

Old School McCarthy: Rodgers will be ready to play if I need him.

(Will you go in pads tomorrow?)
New School McCarthy: Yeah, we'll go full pads again tomorrow.

Old School McCarthy: Of course!

(Is that because of what happened last weekend?)
New School McCarthy: To me, everybody does it differently, but when you take the pads off, that's one of the aspects of scheduling you have to juggle. We've talked about it before, and I know you and I have talked about it individually. It's your fundamentals, the first thing that goes is your pad level. Our pad level was not very good at all in the Chicago game, whatever you want to put that to. It was more a reaction of the fundamentals of punt team. We needed it for the punt team today. It's more of an emphasis on working on fundamentals.

Old School McCarthy: We always go in pads. You should know that. Enough of this nonsense, gentlemen. I’ve got a football game to prepare for.

Tarlam!
12-27-2007, 12:45 PM
Hall of Packer Rats Fame thread.

Un-friggen-believablely funny.....

HEY MAD! Why do we not have a HOF?

the_idle_threat
12-27-2007, 05:41 PM
Hall of Packer Rats Fame thread.

Un-friggen-believablely funny.....

2nded. Well done! :lol:

packrat
12-27-2007, 07:07 PM
Old school MM--read the fricking mission statement. Do I have to spell this stuff out to you guys every week?

gbgary
12-27-2007, 08:01 PM
old school MM sounds a lot like parcells.