PDA

View Full Version : Now, that's what I'M talking about!

FritzDontBlitz
12-27-2007, 12:42 PM
http://www.packersnews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20071227/PKR01/712270465/1989

Nice to see cooler heads have prevailed...

The Leaper
12-27-2007, 01:29 PM
The starters should play at least the entire first half. At that point, you evaluate how well they played at halftime. If they played well and have a double digit lead at halftime, you button down the chance of injury and start playing the reserves. If that means Craig Nall is the QB...so be it. This game is MEANINGLESS.

FritzDontBlitz
12-27-2007, 01:53 PM
I look at it like the last exhibition game before opening day: run your offense to fine tune your execution, try to build a good lead then work the reserves in later in the game. It doesn't have to be wholesale substitutions, I would sit the dinged players first and gradually remove the rest until the twos and threes are on the field. Craig Nall needs to see some action somewhere, I would give him the entire 4th quarter if its a 2 or 3 TD lead by then.

Ryan Pickett doesn't suit up at all. Put pressure on Bob Sanders and the other d-linemen to find ways to shore up the run game and get to the QB.

Fritz
12-27-2007, 02:32 PM
What's the word on Pickett's health? I'd kinda hate to see the dude not play for a full month before the playoffs, which would be the case if he sits Sunday.

The Leaper
12-27-2007, 02:56 PM
What's the word on Pickett's health? I'd kinda hate to see the dude not play for a full month before the playoffs, which would be the case if he sits Sunday.

I think he's been practicing...but I'm not sure how much action he'll see on Sunday. I'm not worried about him. He's a run-stuffing fat man, not someone worried about their timing or pass rush moves.

packrulz
12-27-2007, 04:06 PM
I still don't see why M3 doesn't have the players practice at least once out in the cold before the game, so they can get conditioned to the cold. Once when my brother was in the service stationed out in California he flew in for Christmas and when he landed was shivering uncontrollably and we were all just fine because we were used to the cold. I didn't like seeing all the Packers huddled around the heaters during the Bears game like a bunch of pansies, (putting it nicely), the cold was in their heads and M3 should toughen them up and get them used to it. That being said, I would like to see the starters play until they drive down for a score then put the back ups in.

FritzDontBlitz
12-27-2007, 04:16 PM
I still don't see why M3 doesn't have the players practice at least once out in the cold before the game, so they can get conditioned to the cold. Once when my brother was in the service stationed out in California he flew in for Christmas and when he landed was shivering uncontrollably and we were all just fine because we were used to the cold. I didn't like seeing all the Packers huddled around the heaters during the Bears game like a bunch of pansies, (putting it nicely), the cold was in their heads and M3 should toughen them up and get them used to it. That being said, I would like to see the starters play until they drive down for a score then put the back ups in.

They practice indoors, but with the doors open so the cold gets in. What hindered them in Chicago wasn't so much the cold, it was the 40 mph winds that created the wind chill. The winds actually drove the wind chill down to -18 so it did have some effect temperature-wise, but a windless -18 actually FEELS warmer than a -18 wind chill. Its a huge difference to your senses.

Fritz
12-27-2007, 04:18 PM

I think he's been practicing...but I'm not sure how much action he'll see on Sunday. I'm not worried about him. He's a run-stuffing fat man, not someone worried about their timing or pass rush moves.

Leaper, we don't often agree, but you crack me up, man. That line was hilarious.

The Leaper
12-27-2007, 04:28 PM
Leaper, we don't often agree, but you crack me up, man. That line was hilarious.

Being a run-stuffing fat man is a good gig if you can get it. Who wants to spend their offseason improving their 40 time by a tenth of a second or their vertical leap by another 2 inches?

I'll tell you what...Pickett sure doesn't. He also wears Old Spice. Ahoy.

packrulz
12-27-2007, 04:39 PM

They practice indoors, but with the doors open so the cold gets in. What hindered them in Chicago wasn't so much the cold, it was the 40 mph winds that created the wind chill. The winds actually drove the wind chill down to -18 so it did have some effect temperature-wise, but a windless -18 actually FEELS warmer than a -18 wind chill. Its a huge difference to your senses.

I understand the Packers were on the windy side of the stadium, but you must admit the Bears were rather oblivious of the cold where the Packers were hardly even functional. Could it be that the Bears had practiced outside? I'm not trying to be old school but I think opening the doors isn't the same as going out and feeling the actual game temperatures and the icy tundra. I think it would help them get used to it. I'm just worried they might perform the same way in the playoff game at home.

FritzDontBlitz
12-27-2007, 05:29 PM
Well, the Bears have had one or two games in similar conditions as those since Lovie Smith has been the coach, so he has some experience with the swirling winds of Soldier Field, whereas this was only M3's second game as head coach in that venue. On New Year's Eve the weather was in the 50's with little or no wind so his first visit doesn't compare. i think he recognized in hindsight that the adjustments he made in the second half didn't help his chances, but by then the punt team had pretty much put the game out of reach anyway.