PDA

View Full Version : A nice Thompson Article

RashanGary
12-29-2007, 11:40 PM
http://www.jsonline.com/story/index.aspx?id=701663

The more you hear Ted Thompson speak, the more you realize he really does have a plan. It's open ended and adaptable, but it's a plan that uses wisdom, skill and intelligence to build the strongest possible roster. There are qualities about each market in the NFL: the draft, UFA, RFA, fringe markets. With each market comes pitfalls and benefits.

UFA is over priced, but you pick what you want, bid for it and win or lose based on yoru bid. If you are going to over pay, you might as well get someone you need, right? Ted has this figured out.

The draft only has so many good players. Might as well take as many good ones as you can, right? It's not as easily done. Ted has examples of desperation failing over and over.

RFA and "get mine early" are discount rates compared to UFA. Ted Thompson seems to aggressively approach expriing contracts in a way that locks guys up before they see the UFA market. Corey Williams is one guy who might make it, but he's the excpetion more than the rule with Ted Thompson and it seems Williams and his agent were the ones that broke of talks.

Then there are the fringe markets and outside chances. Ted takes a bunch of flyers and hopes one or two stick. There is no real cost, just take a look at as many as you can.

He plays each market differently, but with each one he seems to have his approach adjusted in a way that takes advantage of what each has to offer. I really do think we have a great GM. It's been fun to watch this team, but I really do think it can get better. Brett's probably coming back. There should be no real suprises. This team might just be getting started, not peaking.

Tarlam!
12-30-2007, 06:41 AM
I loved the article, but I can see how some would apply some of the content to the "TT is complacent" assertion.

I would answer those assertions with TT's apparently inherent belief in a value culture. I would suggest TT is a student and devotee of that draft paper recently quoted (#30 is better than #1 in draft ROI).

That would explain a lot, but it would add fuel to the "other" camp's fire, too.

Interesting piece that's sure to do more to feul the discussion, rather than settle it!

Fritz
12-30-2007, 07:55 AM
Is it just me, or does TT look changed, and older, in the pics that have been posted of him in the papers the last month or so? When I saw the JSO pic today, I didn't even know who it was for a couple of seconds.

RashanGary
12-30-2007, 09:15 AM
They post that picture all of the time, Fritz. It's probably the ugliest picture they can find. It's a jounelistic tactic to influence viewers. When a newspaper or magazine supports a person (or feels they have to kiss the persons ass), they post favorable pictures. When they are JSO and their main goal is to stab at the establishment they post the worst ones they can find. I think it's somewhere in the "manipulate peoples minds" book of scum bag journelism. Either that or you can find it in the "I'm envious and spitefull of someone elses success" book of human flaw. I personally can't stand a lot of the low lifes that package our news, but that is just me.

RashanGary
12-30-2007, 09:42 AM
Just bounce from CNN to Fox News and look at the pictures of Hillary Clinton they flash. Fox News will have ones where she his angry and ugly. CNN will have pictures where she is smiling and beautiful. See if you can tell which news entity supports Hillary Clinton and which wants to burry her. After that, think about whether or not you appreciate the way these people try to manipulate us, the viewers who just want to see what went on in the days news. I don't see a whole lot of integrity in that buisness.

GBRulz
12-30-2007, 09:51 AM
ARTICLE.

ty :wink:

esoxx
12-30-2007, 11:23 AM
pictures of Hillary Clinton.. CNN will have pictures where she is smiling and beautiful.

Impossible.

The Leaper
12-30-2007, 02:12 PM
I don't see a whole lot of integrity in that buisness.

Ask Rich Eisen about news anchors. He loves them!

The Shadow
12-30-2007, 02:29 PM
http://www.jsonline.com/story/index.aspx?id=701663

The more you hear Ted Thompson speak, the more you realize he really does have a plan.

12-3 (13-3?)is not enough proof for you?

RashanGary
12-30-2007, 11:30 PM
Impossible.

I think she's sexy.