PDA

View Full Version : No bidding war for Corey Williams

CaliforniaCheez
12-30-2007, 12:14 AM
http://www.jsonline.com/story/index.aspx?id=701663

Tom Silverstein

So if Williams leaves for a large salary he could be worth a 4th or 3rd round suplemental pick in 2009. I don't think it is too bad. The big obstacle to signing him has to be the size of the defensive line budget. KGB, Kammpann, Jenkins, Pickett, and Harrell all have large salaries. Jolly, Muir, Montgomery, Hunter are cheap and Cole's restricted tender will be relatively cheap.

As much as we like Corey I think Ted and Adrew have decided not to spend more money on the D-line and get its price out of line with the other units of the team. Plus there are 9 returning. Some rookie or FA may beat out one or two.

For Corey it is just bad timing that his contract expires. There may be a very creative negotiation and contract that will keep him in Green Bay but I expect another team will outbid for his services.

oregonpackfan
12-30-2007, 12:35 AM
I would like the Packers to keep him. While Williams is not outstanding, he is a solid player who deserves to be resigned, IMO.

the_idle_threat
12-30-2007, 12:55 AM
Williams is a good role player and rotation guy. I'd like to see him back. But not at any price. And the price he wants is apparently a fair bit higher than the price TT wants to pay. Otherwise, an extension would already be done.

Williams has played a lot more in the past several games because of D line injuries, and his marginal run support and inability to create pass rush on his own has been exposed a little bit. If this prevents him from getting the blockbuster deal he craves, maybe TT resigns him after he twists in the wind for a few weeks in free agency. I don't have much faith that will happen, however. Some GM will be blinded by the overall sack numbers and will overpay in the first week.

Patler
12-30-2007, 01:08 AM
Williams is a good role player and rotation guy. I'd like to see him back. But not at any price. And the price he wants is apparently a fair bit higher than the price TT wants to pay. Otherwise, an extension would already be done.

I'm not sure if that is the case or not. From what I read there has been little or no communication from the Packers to his agent. I kind of feel like the Packers are purposely dragging their feet on this one, perhaps first to see as much from Harrell this season as they could, and now also to get a better handle on Jolly's long term prognosis. Williams value to the Packers is influenced by both of those situations.

However, in the long run you may be right. It will be decided by whether some other team offers a huge deal or not.

Bretsky
12-30-2007, 06:28 AM
I figured after Green Bay called Harrell's name we knew what Williams fate would be.

Tarlam!
12-30-2007, 06:53 AM
I think Williams and his agent didn't want a deal. I have seen a few articles where they felt TT was lowballing and they want to take their chances.

I could dig up the evidence. But, I am prolly too lazy, so if I am called out, I'll gladly concede the point.

the_idle_threat
12-30-2007, 07:26 AM
I think Williams and his agent didn't want a deal. I have seen a few articles where they felt TT was lowballing and they want to take their chances.

I could dig up the evidence. But, I am prolly too lazy, so if I am called out, I'll gladly concede the point.

I remember seeing the same articles, and I am :laugh: definitely too lazy to look them up.

Fritz
12-30-2007, 08:03 AM
My sense, too, is that Williams's agent had not heard from TT - not a lot of interest was expressed, and so Williams is taking the "fine, I'll go play somewhere else" tack.

And I also think that there will be a team out thee that will give him a monster contract. Kind of like the Ahman Green situation, though Green of course was older. But I think Green was a much more skilled player at his position than Williams is at his. I like Williams, and wish he'd be back, but it's clear that you can't pay an out-of-whack salary to someone who is just not worth it - it unbalances your team.

gbgary
12-30-2007, 10:00 AM

lol...sounds like a line from another pr.com humorist.

the_idle_threat
12-30-2007, 10:05 AM
OK fine ... I looked it up. :P

And I guess the answer depends upon who you read:

Packers want DT Williams to stay

Contract extension is being discussed

"Agent Jeff Courtney and team negotiator Andrew Brandt have talked off and on for some time about an extension for the 26-year-old Williams, but tough bargaining has yet to unfold."

Link: http://www.jsonline.com/story/index.aspx?id=577897&format=print

Notebook: No contact yet with Williams on contract

Defensive tackle can be unrestricted free agent in March

The Packers haven't approached defensive tackle Corey Williams about a contract extension, and their glut of defensive tackles leaves open the possibility he'll be hitting the free-agent market in March after having an especially strong season.

Link: http://www.packersnews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20071117/PKR01/711170362/1989

Actually, the timeline is a bit interesting when you look at the articles. See also:

http://www.madison.com/wsj/mad/sports/203213

http://www.madison.com/wsj/home/sports/253456

1, Packers approach Williams' agent in March to discuss an extension

2. Nothing gets done.

3. Packers draft Harrell in April

4. Harrell is put at the top of the depth chart in training camp

5, Williams says in October/November that there has been no contact about an extension

This suggests to me that TT and Williams were pretty far apart on the numbers in March, so TT went about the business of replacing him. Looks like he's gone, unless his price comes down.

I'll bet the conversation in March went something along the lines of:

Williams: "The third-highest sack total among all defensive tackles is worth a lot of money on the open market. I'm not settling for a Cullen Jenkins type deal."

TT: "Great. Good luck with that."

Since then, Williams has duplicated his sack total from 2006, which should allow him to soak some witless team for a huge deal.

RashanGary
12-30-2007, 10:18 AM
I'll bet the conversation in March went something along the lines of:

Williams: "The third-highest sack total among all defensive tackles is worth a lot of money on the open market. I'm not settling for a Cullen Jenkins type deal."

TT: "Great. Good luck with that."

Since then, Williams has duplicated his sack total from 2006, which should allow him to soak some witless team for a huge deal.

:lol: :lol:

This is exactly how I pictured it.

Patler
12-30-2007, 11:15 AM
This will be another interesting one to watch. I'm not sure how much a team might be willing to offer. He would seem to be an improvement for quite a few teams, but you never know.

On the other hand, with so much available out there in cap space among the teams, he could be one of those lucky ones who hits it at the right time and gets huge money just because teams have so much available to spend. Although, it seems more and more teams are willing to save cap space and only a few spend to the hilt each year.

Packers4Glory
12-30-2007, 01:13 PM
i think we are underestimating Williams a little. I think he's on the verge of being an outstanding player in the lg. we need him back.

Fritz
12-30-2007, 01:34 PM
This will be another interesting one to watch. I'm not sure how much a team might be willing to offer. He would seem to be an improvement for quite a few teams, but you never know.

On the other hand, with so much available out there in cap space among the teams, he could be one of those lucky ones who hits it at the right time and gets huge money just because teams have so much available to spend. Although, it seems more and more teams are willing to save cap space and only a few spend to the hilt each year.

A big and fairly talented defensive tackle will hit the jackpot from somebody. Maybe an NFC North team will sign him just to try to "hurt" the Pack, like Minny did a few years ago with a couple of Packer players.

Harlan Huckleby
12-30-2007, 01:34 PM
Harrell looks decent today. But I keep Williams too.

RashanGary
12-30-2007, 03:45 PM
But I keep Williams too.

Do you think he's worth the type of deal that Bob Sanders and Nick Barnett got? You have to draw a line somewhere, right?

Harlan Huckleby
12-30-2007, 03:48 PM
Do you think he's worth the type of deal that Bob Sanders and Nick Barnett got? You have to draw a line somewhere, right?

No, I would sign him for much less money than that. 8-) Just like you insist on getting NFL Network for free.

RashanGary
12-30-2007, 06:56 PM
No, I would sign him for much less money than that. 8-) Just like you insist on getting NFL Network for free.

Take a look at that cool emoticon in typed form. Is that some sort of Larry Craig signal? No, Harlan, I'm not going to put my hand under the stall :P

the_idle_threat
12-31-2007, 01:02 AM
i think we are underestimating Williams a little. I think he's on the verge of being an outstanding player in the lg. we need him back.

I think you may be overestimating Williams a lot. I think that if he's paid starter's money and therefore has to start---when he's had all of his previous success coming off the bench---his new team will be sorely disappointed. Very similar to our own KGB situation of recent years past.

Patler
12-31-2007, 08:01 AM
I think you may be overestimating Williams a lot. I think that if he's paid starter's money and therefore has to start---when he's had all of his previous success coming off the bench---his new team will be sorely disappointed. Very similar to our own KGB situation of recent years past.

Williams was the starter most of 2006. The biggest factor for him, I think, is to be part of a tackle rotation. That is the philosophy GB plays with, so he may have more value to GB than to many other teams.

Very consistent the last two seasons:

2006 - 34 tackles (26 & 8), 7 sacks, 2 passes defensed
2007 - 35 tackles (26 & 9), 7 sacks, 1 pass defensed and 1 interception.

swede
12-31-2007, 02:17 PM
Does Williams qualify for the franchise tag?

I've noticed the franchise tag is usually not used on "franchise" players, per se. Instead it seems to be used on important players whose agents are pushing bidding wars or hold-outs.

MJZiggy
12-31-2007, 02:49 PM
Does TT care enough to want to bother with the franchise tag?

Merlin
12-31-2007, 03:07 PM
How much was Harrell's contract? Muir's? Will KGB restructure? KGB has had a great year but I doubt 3T thinks he is worth what he is paying him. Williams is a great rotation guy and I would guess his future depends on Harrell, Jolly and Muir.

2007 Salaries (Fox Sports) *Total salary, not cap hit
Aaron Kampman $12M
Ryan Picket $6.5M
KGB $3.8M
Collin Cole $504K
Cullen Jenkins $430K
Cory Williams $430K
Johnny Jolly $370K
Michael Montgomery $330K

It was also interesting that Abdul Hodge is the 18th highest paid player on our roster at $1.08M. AJ Hawk is at $2.1M and Nick Barnett is at $651K. These numbers have to be out of whack?!?!?

MJZiggy
12-31-2007, 03:12 PM
I thought Nick Barnett just got a new contract...

4and12to12and4
01-01-2008, 01:42 AM

Look at the way he has played when he has to stay in the game and play a larger role. VERY inconsistent. We have been scorched by the run since Jolly and Pickett have gone down, and Williams is big, but isn't an elite tackle. However, as we saw last offseason, some idiot will pay for him and we will lose him. That's my first prediction for '08. Williams is gone, and will get paid handsomely by a team like the Raiders or Falcons.

Fritz
01-01-2008, 11:44 AM
My guess would be that TT might hit him with a second round tender, thinking/hoping someone will see that as a reasonable price to pay for a defensive tackle like Williams. Since defensive linemen who can pressure a QB and stop the run are hard to come by, they tend to get overpaid a bit or overvalued, perhaps, is the better word. So with this line of thinking, TT gets a draft pick for a guy he doesn't see as being worth the money he will likely command on the open market.

Bretsky
01-01-2008, 11:46 AM
My guess would be that TT might hit him with a second round tender, thinking/hoping someone will see that as a reasonable price to pay for a defensive tackle like Williams. Since defensive linemen who can pressure a QB and stop the run are hard to come by, they tend to get overpaid a bit or overvalued, perhaps, is the better word. So with this line of thinking, TT gets a draft pick for a guy he doesn't see as being worth the money he will likely command on the open market.

Hit him with a 2nd tender ?

I think he's unrestricted this year. We can transition or franchise him I think, but that's it.

Bretsky
01-01-2008, 11:46 AM
My bet is Williams will get somebody to pay him in the 5.5 to 6MIL a year range in the open market while GB offers him in the 4MIL a year range.

Deputy Nutz
01-01-2008, 01:23 PM
My bet is Williams will get somebody to pay him in the 5.5 to 6MIL a year range in the open market while GB offers him in the 4MIL a year range.

Well I don't think he is worth 6 million a year, but that is not how contracts really work anyways, he is not worth a double digit signing bonus or guaranteed monies. Williams fits best in a rotation system as do most of the Packers defensive tackles and ends.

Bottom line it is hard to let a proven player just walk away like Williams when you do have available cap space. There will be some that will complain the same way when Thompson let Green go, but to keep within a budget that keeps your team competitive you simply can't over pay for your own players or other free agents. Thats how you get into trouble financially. If Andrew Brandt comes back with a certain number for Williams, thats what the Packers will offer, and Thompson will refuse to get into a bidding war over Williams, a player that really doesn't even deserve the franchise tag.

packrat
01-01-2008, 01:23 PM
Denver is absolutely desperate for DL help and will overpay in a heartbeat--especially with the money freed up by not having to pay "JAVON" his upcoming bonus.