PDA

View Full Version : Something to be excited about

RashanGary
12-30-2007, 07:35 PM
The backups came in and beat another NFL teams starters. I was listening to Barnett talk after the game, he was saying a bunch of key starters were out but the young guys performed.

I'll bet there aren't too many old guys that take it easy this off season. There are 2 or 3 young guys breathing down the necks of almost every starting position.

One of Ted Thompsons first goals was to bring more competition to every position. In a long off season when guys can either push their body's further or relax and have a good time, I think the competition at all of these positions will be pretty fresh in these guys minds. As good as last off season was with participation and conditioning, I could see this year being even better. I'm a believer that games are won adn lost in the off season. I see some good patterns building in Greenbay.

Partial
12-30-2007, 07:36 PM
False. You do realize they were playing with a big lead forcing the Lions to become extremely one dimensional, right?

RashanGary
12-30-2007, 07:39 PM
False. You do realize they were playing with a big lead forcing the Lions to become extremely one dimensional, right?

Pickett, Kampman, Woodson, Jennings and Driver did not play in that game. I'm pretty sure those are five of our top ten players, no? After the first quarter or so it was even more watered down. I'd say the backups played pretty well.

oregonpackfan
12-30-2007, 08:42 PM
I agree that the backups played very well. Favre had his top 3 receivers, Driver, Jennings, and Lee out. The reserve receivers, Martin, Robinson, Martin, and Franks all made solid contributions.

Brandon Jackson easily had his best day as a pro.

Bush made some good plays, like falling on the punt at the 3 yard line.

It was a solid team effort by the remaining veterans and the reserves.

GrnBay007
12-30-2007, 08:44 PM
It was nice to see Bubba get some action today.

LL2
12-30-2007, 09:08 PM
Anytime the backups can get regular season experience is a good thing. Even better the team finished on a winning note.

HarveyWallbangers
12-30-2007, 09:39 PM
I agree with JH. It's definitely a good sign. Seattle played their backups and got beat by friggin' Atlanta. Tampa Bay played their backups and got beat by Carolina. Dallas played their backups and got rolled by Washington. Jacksonville played their backups and got rolled by Houston. Pittsburgh played their backups and got beat by Baltimore. Green Bay was the only team that won.

I think it says something about the depth on the team that the team won with its backups. I think it says even more about coach McCarthy.

Bretsky
12-30-2007, 09:41 PM
I agree with JH. It's definitely a good sign. Seattle played their backups and got beat by friggin' Atlanta. Tampa Bay played their backups and got beat by Carolina. Dallas played their backups and got rolled by Washington. Jacksonville played their backups and got rolled by Houston. Pittsburgh played their backups and got beat by Baltimore. Green Bay was the only team that won.

I think it says something about the depth on the team that the team won with its backups. I think it says even more about coach McCarthy.

Yes, but only Green Bay had CRAIG NALL; where is Gureski for his Mea Culpa :lol:

FritzDontBlitz
12-30-2007, 11:28 PM
I was impressed with the performance of the younguns as well. I wasn't able to see the game on TV, and by the time I woke up from my toothache-induced hangover it was halftime. The stat sheet on nfl.com looked completely wacky to me until I realized the starters had made their exit after the first 3 series. I think Jackson did a damn good job today, the young defenders needed a day where they kept an opponent under 20 points, and seeing Bubba and K-Rob catch TD passes made me feel real good about what kind of team we have going into the playoffs. Imagine: you take away Brett's top three targets and he still opens the game with 3 TD drives. I am sure that sent a collective "Whoa!" throughout the NFC.

I did get to watch the Dallas/Washington game, and Romo looked like shit warmed over without his girlfriend Terrella. He managed to stick around until midway through the 3rd if not later, but it was not a good showing for the Cowboys. Todd Collins is going to make a lot of noise in the next week or so, the "Skins might be the hottest team going into the playoffs.

Cheesehead Craig
12-30-2007, 11:31 PM
Aren't the Lions one-dimensional on a regular basis anyways regardless of the score?