PDA

View Full Version : Season Review : Koren Robinson

packers11
12-31-2007, 12:01 AM
What a special story this guy has become... He could have ended up like many others that kept making the same mistakes but he did change his life around and make it back into the NFL...

At first I didn't have high hopes that he would make any sort of impact or even make it back into the NFL, but looking back on this season, I can see that he has made a big impact and has a bright future in the nfl...

I came across these quotes...

Receiver Koren Robinson caught his first touchdown pass from Favre, and it also was his first touchdown since being cut by Minnesota during training camp of 2006 because of his arrest for several drunken-driving related offenses.

Robinson returned to the Packers in October from a one-year suspension for multiple violations of the NFL’s alcohol policy and finished the season with 21 receptions for an average of 11.5 yards a catch. Favre, who has been a vocal supporter of Robinson, retrieved the ball for him after the play.

Robinson got a little choked up when asked about it after the game.

“Going through all of that and then getting in on the first touchdown catch in Lambeau,” he said, “first touchdown catch from Brett Favre, first touchdown catch of the season, my first Lambeau Leap. It just all came together. It dotted the ‘i,’ you know, crossed the ‘t’s of what I’m trying to do.”

Said Favre: “Just a great guy with very good character who’s had some problems. My support for him has only increased with each day I’ve spent with him.”
http://www.packersnews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20071230/PKR0201/71230050/1989

This guy makes a real impact on the 4-5 WR sets and Kick return... I'm glad he proved all the doubters in the media, and all the doubters on this forum wrong...

oregonpackfan
12-31-2007, 12:26 AM
He is certainly worthy of the "Comeback Kid" award.

NewsBruin
12-31-2007, 12:27 AM
I don't know of anyone who worked harder on faith to get back to where he was. Group work, individual counseling, AA meetings, random tests, Antabuse, strenuous workouts -- all on his own dime and with no guarantee he'd be allowed back in or welcomed by his teammates.

Koren made me a believer. I don't care if he doesn't score another touchdown (altough 20 in the playoffs would be fine by me), as long as he keeps his head on straight and enjoys the time he has.

Partial
12-31-2007, 12:44 AM
Welcome back man. Been awhile eh?

FritzDontBlitz
12-31-2007, 12:46 AM
Great story. When him and Favre get their timing down, lookout NFL.

I think today proved that when we are healthy:

Donald Driver
Greg Jennings
Koren Robinson
James Jones
Ruvell Martin
Donald Lee
Bubba Franks

are hands down the most lethal receiving corps in the NFL. Other teams may have marquee players, but no other team can go seven deep in the league.

Badgerinmaine
12-31-2007, 01:32 AM
I don't know of anyone who worked harder on faith to get back to where he was. Group work, individual counseling, AA meetings, random tests, Antabuse, strenuous workouts -- all on his own dime and with no guarantee he'd be allowed back in or welcomed by his teammates.

Koren made me a believer. I don't care if he doesn't score another touchdown (altough 20 in the playoffs would be fine by me), as long as he keeps his head on straight and enjoys the time he has.
Amen to that.

MadtownPacker
12-31-2007, 02:20 AM
He looked like a #1 out there today.

Tarlam!
12-31-2007, 06:06 AM
Great story, but - he's a recovering alcholic and always will be. He could topple any day. Any minute. One sober year does not a full recovery make.

I know.

Of course I wish him only the very best and I hope his fairy tale ending continues way past his playing days.

Don't wanna rain on the parade, just keeping you guys awake. :shock:

cpk1994
12-31-2007, 06:53 AM
Great story, but - he's a recovering alcholic and always will be. He could topple any day. Any minute. One sober year does not a full recovery make.

I know.

Of course I wish him only the very best and I hope his fairy tale ending continues way past his playing days.

Don't wanna rain on the parade, just keeping you guys awake. :shock:We know and Koren knows and will tell you as much.

vince
12-31-2007, 08:13 AM
When you hear Koren Robinson speak, it's obvious how much it means to him to be where he is right now. After going through what he's been through, there is nothing that he's taking for granted any more.

As has been stated, he's let others down in the past, and he could certainly do it again. Everyone certainly hopes he doesn't do that. However, it seems like he has the perspective and meaningful support to overcome his temptations. It seems like he wants to be there, not just for his team, but most importantly for his beautiful wife and little girl, after they've stayed by his side through thick and thin.

His teammates and coaches really value his presence and it's obvious that with him, they care more about him as a person than his professional value, which makes him perhaps the single most valuable contributor to this team's chemistry. The belief and faith that others are placing in Koren means the world to him, and he's clearly provided a healthy perspective and positive presence on the team since his return.

To us fans, Koren embodies such a great story of overcoming personal demons and returning to being a valued member of a group of people who share tight bonds. By all accounts, he's a great guy who is trying to make up for his past transgressions.

On the football field, he's just now getting back to where he can perform up to his significant talent level. What he does on the football field is just the icing on the cake.

Here's hoping he can continue to have his cake - and eat it too.

RashanGary
12-31-2007, 08:26 AM
Great story. I doubted him. I'm not big on expecting patterns to change but he seems to have done it. Good for him.

As far as his play on the field, he's been OK up until yesterday. Yesterday he looked to have an extra burst and suddeness to his game. I think we'll see Koren Robinsons best performances of the year when it matters most, in the playoffs.

Something that was kind of funny was when Favre was talking about the TD pass, it sounded like he and Krob just made love or something. I knew what he meant, but it was funny.

Patler
12-31-2007, 08:47 AM
We never really know the players, even though we feel like we do. What has impressed me most about Robinson is how highly everyone on the Seahawks, Vikings and Packers seem to hold him as a person. All three organizations have repeatedly stated what a great guy he is to have in the locker room and on the team. He clearly will have the support and encouragement of many people, which ultimate may help him the most.

As for KR a player, I have to bring this up. I've been meaning to the last couple weeks to see if anyone else feels the same. It's not a criticism, just an observation:

I don't know what it is about his style, but he looks to be one of the most awkward but successful kick returners that I have seen. The good ones usually look graceful, smooth and decisive. Robinson starts, stops, stumbles, looks off balance and unsure; yet he does very well! I don't think it is just rust, because I vaguely remember thinking the same thing when he returned kicks at MN.

MJZiggy
12-31-2007, 08:52 AM
My take is that he looks that way and performs that way because he throws grace out the window in order to get the extra few yards if it means a slight hesitation or whatever--notice that the legs are always moving and not in that churning way of a powerful running back. He'll plant a foot anywhere that gives him that bit of leverage or an edge. And at least to me it appears that he has longer, lankier legs, so they just don't have that compact movement that you find in a power runner.

I guess the short answer would be, yes, I've noticed that too....

cpk1994
12-31-2007, 11:06 AM
It really makes a diffrence when a HOF qb who has a documented case of substance abuse sticking his neck out for him. Also, if he needs any more motivation, all Koren needs to do is pin the article Cliff CHristl wrote last year throwing TT under the bus and how little Christl thought of him.

Bretsky
12-31-2007, 11:15 AM
His patterns are much crisper than JJ and he is probably faster as well.

I believe he's still under contract for next year; Green Bay will be wise to keep him around as long as they can

Patler
12-31-2007, 11:23 AM
I believe he's still under contract for next year; Green Bay will be wise to keep him around as long as they can

His status is a little confusing. The Packer website indicates that his contract expires after this season. But I also remember reading that his contract would be extended by the period of his suspension. He signed a two season agreement, has played the equivalent of one season and was suspended for one season. It would seem he would be committed to GB for next season.

oregonpackfan
12-31-2007, 11:34 AM

Most alcoholics in the AA program subscribe to the "One Day At A Time" philosophy. Certainly because a recovering alcoholic was sober yesterday does not necessarily mean he will be sober today.

Robinson will need to focus on the term "recovering" alcoholic rather than claim he is a "recovered" alcoholic. He will need to continue to attend AA meetings, work its philosophy in his present daily life, and rely on the support of family and friends.

Tarlam!
12-31-2007, 11:39 AM
I said what OPF said. Nuff said.

Bretsky
12-31-2007, 11:41 AM

His status is a little confusing. The Packer website indicates that his contract expires after this season. But I also remember reading that his contract would be extended by the period of his suspension. He signed a two season agreement, has played the equivalent of one season and was suspended for one season. It would seem he would be committed to GB for next season.

Per the Post Game show because he was suspended for the year GB has him under contract next year as well

Patler
12-31-2007, 11:58 AM

Per the Post Game show because he was suspended for the year GB has him under contract next year as well

I figured that would be the case, because he never appeared on any free agent list I have seen. I suspect that is a good thing for him because it provides a year of stability without having to worry about a contract, a new team, moving, etc.

MJZiggy
12-31-2007, 12:03 PM
I figured that would be the case, because he never appeared on any free agent list I have seen. I suspect that is a good thing for him because it provides a year of stability without having to worry about a contract, a new team, moving, etc.

Nothing is certain in the NFL, but I gotta think KRob is liking where he's at. Where else is he gonna get the kind of support he gets from his QB and this is the team that stuck it's neck out for him and gave him a shot when he thought his career was over. Add to that that TT and M3 waited for him and made a roster spot available to him when his suspension was over and I think GB is likely the place where he feels he fits and obviously the brass agrees.