PDA

View Full Version : Great Favre Article :)

Tony Oday
12-31-2007, 01:19 AM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/columns/story?columnist=wickersham_seth&id=3158561

Didnt see it posted but man it is a great insight into Favre.

This is why people like him so much, he's a great QB but is a guy that people feel like they could sit down and have a beer with :)

vince
12-31-2007, 07:28 AM
Thanks for posting that Tony. Awesome article.

MadtownPacker
12-31-2007, 08:16 AM
Cmon now playa, you know we wouldn't miss this....

http://www.packerrats.com/ratchat/viewtopic.php?t=10273

Patler
12-31-2007, 09:03 AM
I refrained from mentioning this in the earlier thread, but I guess I feel confrontational today, so here goes:

I think the article paints a great picture of Gregg Jennings.
I think it paints a less than complimentary picture of Brett Favre.

MadtownPacker
12-31-2007, 09:06 AM
I refrained from mentioning this in the earlier thread, but I guess I feel confrontational today, so here goes:

I think it paints a less than complimentary picture of Brett Favre.Confrontation?? I love that shit!!

How does it paint a bad picture of Favre? This scenerio could be true of any workplace environment. The new guy need to earn the senior guy's respect. He does and now senior guy thinks the world of new guy.

RashanGary
12-31-2007, 09:07 AM

What about Favre??

MJZiggy
12-31-2007, 09:10 AM

That's not confrontational. I saw the same thing. Kind of like the youngin animal working tirelessly to endear himself to the crotchety old leader of the herd. They said in the game broadcast that one of the young players saw Favre in the movie theater but didn't say hello because he wasn't sure Favre would recognize him as a teammate.

Patler
12-31-2007, 09:54 AM
I saw the same thing. Kind of like the youngin animal working tirelessly to endear himself to the crotchety old leader of the herd. They said in the game broadcast that one of the young players saw Favre in the movie theater but didn't say hello because he wasn't sure Favre would recognize him as a teammate.

Reading the article, I couldn't help thinking "grumpy old man"!
I'm not sure that coming across as being unapproachable is the best thing.

Patler
12-31-2007, 09:58 AM

That's not confrontational. I saw the same thing.

Saying anything potentially negative about Favre on here tends to be confrontational. He is a difficult subject about which to carry on any kind of analysis or discussion. It's like discussing religion or politics, it is seldom calm! :)

HarveyWallbangers
12-31-2007, 09:59 AM
Unapproachable to a young player. That's what I took. Make them earn their stripes. Favre has been known to go hunting with Corey Williams and things of that nature. Favre is 38, but I think the biggest thing that has changed is that he doesn't drink anymore. It has to be tough being around 23 year old rookies who want to get their mo-jo on at the club. I'm sure he doesn't have a lot in common with some of these guys. I think 2005 and the first half of 2006 took the fun out of him. It seems to me that he's having more fun this year. He seems to be a lot more approachable than last year. Winning does that.

Bretsky
12-31-2007, 10:02 AM
Unapproachable to a young player. That's what I took. Make them earn their stripes. Favre has been known to go hunting with Corey Williams and things of that nature. Favre is 38, but I think the biggest thing that has changed is that he doesn't drink anymore. It has to be tough being around 23 year old rookies who want to get their mo-jo on at the club. I'm sure he doesn't have a lot in common with some of these guys. I think 2005 and the first half of 2006 took the fun out of him. It seems to me that he's having more fun this year. He seems to be a lot more approachable than last year. Winning does that.

I think MM's coaching style also aids in Favre having more fun; and it helps that he gives Favre more of an ownership interest in the game

Patler
12-31-2007, 10:32 AM
I think MM's coaching style also aids in Favre having more fun; and it helps that he gives Favre more of an ownership interest in the game

I think that is huge, and it might be what keeps him playing a few years after he otherwise might have retired. After that many years in the league, and with the success Favre has had, deep down he has to believe that he can make a contribution in philosophy, play selection, etc. Sherman didn't allow that. MM seems to welcome it. It has to make him feel more "useful" and give him satisfaction beyond the physical accomplishment of a play working.

Harlan Huckleby
12-31-2007, 10:33 AM
I think Craig Nall is going to light a fire under Favre. Competition is a good thing.

Packers4Ever
12-31-2007, 05:53 PM

I never looked at it that way, Harvey but I think you hit the nail.....
All I needed to see was Brett's face yesterday, you couldn't miss it,
plus his playing 'slap hands' with the Ref - LOL - that's our Brett !!

FritzDontBlitz
12-31-2007, 09:30 PM
I think he was trying to mess with the young guy's head. Jennings racked up a ton of stats in college, led the nation in return yards and was considered all-world at WMU, he could have easily come in with the wrong attitude after being BMOC for the previous 4 years. I took it that Favre was just trying to see where his head was at during the preseason. Maybe he was afraid he'd be another Javon Walker. Or worse, another Fergy.