PDA

View Full Version : Rodgers to be minicamp’s No. 1

Tarlam!
05-19-2006, 04:44 AM
Rodgers to be minicamp’s No. 1 (http://www.packersnews.com/archives/news/pack_26082430.shtml)

(Posted May 19, 2006 By Pete Dougherty; PackersNews.com)

Among Mike McCarthy’s most important duties as the Green Bay Packers’ coach is managing the quarterback position.

To that end, McCarthy is using his bonus minicamp to develop his quarterback of the future and rest his quarterback of the present.

NFL rules allow teams with a new coach to hold a second, voluntary minicamp on top of the one required minicamp and 14 days of voluntary organized team activities teams are allowed.

Quarterback Brett Favre took part in the first minicamp, two weeks ago, but McCarthy asked him to stay home for this three-day camp. That leaves Aaron Rodgers, the team’s first-round pick in 2005, taking most of the snaps with the No. 1 offense.

“They work hand in hand,” McCarthy said Thursday of his decision to have the 36-year-old Favre skip this camp. “Youâ⠂¬â„¢re being smart with an older player that has a ton of experience, and you’re creating an atmosphere where your younger players can really, truly develop.”

Though he’s missing this minicamp, Favre’s offseason will be different than last year, when former coach Mike Sherman allowed him to skip all offseason practices to remain in Mississippi and work with a personal trainer on a specific, core-oriented workout program.

This year, Favre took part in the first minicamp so he’d be exposed to McCarthy’s offense, a version of the West Coast system Favre has played in his entire NFL career. This minicamp mostly will be a review of the first one, though McCarthy is adding some third-down and red-zone concepts he didn’t implement two weeks ago. Favre will take part in some of the OTA practices from May 31 through June 21, though McCarthy declined to reveal his schedule.

Favre also will work out on his own while in Mississippi rather than bring back the personal trainer he hired last year. That regimen appeared to have its desired effect during the 2005 season, namely to improve his mobility and overall conditioning.

Favre is eschewing the personal trainer in part because Hurricane Katrina has left him in better physical shape than at this time a year ago. The storm did extensive damage to his 600-plus acre estate, and Favre has spent much of the winter and spring working with friends and hired hands to clear fallen trees and debris from his land. Favre also did some maintenance work with the core program while pondering whether to return for another season this year.

At the last minicamp, the Packers’ new strength coach, Rock Gullickson, gave Favre a new workout program, which integrates some of the core work.

“Just overall body shape,” McCarthy said in describing the goal of Favre’s regimen. “I think his body fat is down. Just continue working on his conditioning and strength. He’s done a very good job of maintaining his body from what I’ve seen, especially after having been with him six years ago.”

Favre is one of several players who will miss this minicamp, which is voluntary, though McCarthy suggested all the absences were agreed upon shortly after he put out his offseason schedule in February. McCarthy mentioned only one player who won’t attend, halfback Ahman Green, because of a charity commitment. Green is recovering from a torn quadriceps tendon and won’t be ready to practice until late August anyway.

Though this camp previously was scheduled for The Don Hutson Center, McCarthy was able to move the practices outside today and Saturday, weather permitting, because favorable weather in April helped new sod grow faster than expected on the Clarke Hinkle practice field. If the practices are outside, they’re open to the public.

HarveyWallbangers
05-19-2006, 07:17 AM
Don't blind anybody by the facts, Tarlam.

swede
05-19-2006, 07:23 AM
Harv,

By that comment are you trying to get ahead of John Clayton's take on this?

Perhaps ESPN will soon be reporting that a quarterback controversy is brewing in Green Bay, when all that is actually happening is...well...that it makes sense at this point to give Rodgers the mini camp work and allow a 15 year veteran to enjoy a little more off-season.

"We're ESPN. You heard it wrong here first."

Noodle
05-19-2006, 08:08 AM
Kind of bunk about how M3 is spinning it like he planned it this way. If he had his druthers, you gotta figure the guy would like to have Favre at every camp.

So all this blather about M3 being a regular ol' straight shootin' guy is bull. He's a pro, he's been around, and he's making the most out of a less than ideal situation.

I'm not gonna crap on anybody here, but we can at least be honest. The coach wants his no. 1 QB in camp. The no. 1 is gonna be down in Ol' Miss ridin' a tractor and doin' manual labor and stuff (how that will get him in shape for running around is beyond me).
So the coach is gonna make it sound ok and maybe even get under Brett's skin a little by calling Rodgers the no. 1. Let's see how this plays out.

Harlan Huckleby
05-19-2006, 09:34 AM
Quarterback Brett Favre took part in the first minicamp, two weeks ago, but McCarthy asked him to stay home for this three-day camp.

McCarthy was asked point-blank in interviews whose decision it was for Favre to to miss mini-camp, and he nervously dodged the question.

It's good to finally see the truth. And reassuring to learn that McCarthy is in complete control.
:wink: .

chain_gang
05-19-2006, 09:48 AM
I'd rather see Rodger's working with the first unit in some of the minicamps. Sounds like he's really busting his ass to get his shot down the line. Rodger's needs the time to build confidence for himself and for his teammates in his abilities. Actually a good idea by McCarthy(If it was McCarthy's descision). If not then I'd have to say it's not setting a good example for the team, even though it's benefitting Rodger's a lot.

Harlan Huckleby
05-19-2006, 09:56 AM
I think it's odd that Favre is not there, with a new offense being installed, but I don't think it matters.

Wouldn't it be something if Rogers beat-out Favre for the starting job!?

chain_gang
05-19-2006, 10:10 AM
Yeah it would be something. I highly doubt it, but you never know. Of course I don't think we would really ever know, even if he did do better than Brett. Brett as long as he plays will never be less than No. 1 on the depth chart.

Fritz
05-19-2006, 10:33 AM
This reminds me of back in the day when, after Reagan got shot, Alexander Haig came on TV and said he had everything under control. Right then you knew everything was FUBAR.

Chubbyhubby
05-19-2006, 10:39 AM
Yeah it would be something. I highly doubt it, but you never know. Of course I don't think we would really ever know, even if he did do better than Brett. Brett as long as he plays will never be less than No. 1 on the depth chart.

I applaud Mike McCarthy for allowing Rodgers run the offense this minicamp. Rodgers will be our starter next year when Favre retires....

Scott Campbell
05-19-2006, 11:05 AM
I don't really care if it was Brett's call, or MM's call. Rodgers needs the work more than Brett does.

Rastak
05-19-2006, 11:26 AM
Are any other veterans excused so their younger counterparts can get more work?

Scott Campbell
05-19-2006, 11:41 AM
Hey, if it was Brad Johnson, I'd desperately want him in camp. But we have Brett.

Rastak
05-19-2006, 11:50 AM
Hey, if it was Brad Johnson, I'd desperately want him in camp. But we have Brett.

I assume that's a no?

:wink:

MadtownPacker
05-19-2006, 11:53 AM
Are any other veterans excused so their younger counterparts can get more work?Nope beacause after Henderson and DD they are just about all youngsters.

MadtownPacker
05-19-2006, 11:57 AM
I'm not gonna crap on anybody here, but we can at least be honest.

The coach wants his no. 1 QB in camp. The no. 1 is gonna be down in Ol' Miss ridin' a tractor and doin' manual labor and stuff (how that will get him in shape for running around is beyond me).
So the coach is gonna make it sound ok and maybe even get under Brett's skin a little by calling Rodgers the no. 1. Let's see how this plays out.
Dont worry Im sure some have that kind if fetish.

When you think about it M3 does have his #1 in camp. Rodgers is going to be his QB eventually so why not get him ready? Do you really think Favre doesnt know M3's scheme? From what I have read there is lil differences from what Holmgren ran and lots of what Sherman used.

As for being in shape, Favre took a beating last season that most of the other 31 tea's starters would not have survived. THe bears games alone would have left most on IR.

Rastak
05-19-2006, 11:59 AM
Are any other veterans excused so their younger counterparts can get more work?Nope beacause after Henderson and DD they are just about all youngsters.

Yea Driver was about the only other guy who'd qualify. Anyway, all kidding aside it's McCarthy's team and he's fine with the percieved double standard then I suppose the fans should be also. It seems they could have Favre there and still have Rodgers take more snaps if they wanted to. With a new coaching staff and somewhat new offense you'd think they'd want him there. Of course they are voluntary also, so he couldn't be compelled to go.

Anyway, I'm not trying to make it out to be a big issue. Just kind of curious. He's a veteran and probably has the playbook. I'm sure he'll be ready by the start of the season.

MadtownPacker
05-19-2006, 12:06 PM
Shut the hell up and get back to what you do second best (VT is #1). :cool:

chain_gang
05-19-2006, 12:09 PM

Yea Driver was about the only other guy who'd qualify. Anyway, all kidding aside it's McCarthy's team and he's fine with the percieved double standard then I suppose the fans should be also. It seems they could have Favre there and still have Rodgers take more snaps if they wanted to. With a new coaching staff and somewhat new offense you'd think they'd want him there. Of course they are voluntary also, so he couldn't be compelled to go.

Anyway, I'm not trying to make it out to be a big issue. Just kind of curious. He's a veteran and probably has the playbook. I'm sure he'll be ready by the start of the season.

Now where's the double standard, he's proving a point I would imagine. It's like saying, Hey rookies play your way into the Hall of Fame and you'll be excused for some of the mini camps and voluntary camps. You may call it a double standard, I call it Genius.

MadtownPacker
05-19-2006, 12:17 PM
Chain - That avatar is genius, seriously terrible! HAHA!

chain_gang
05-19-2006, 12:20 PM
Yeah I like this one. That other one kind of freaked me out after while.

It's about time Bert gets out of that damn tub with Ernie and does something with his life. lol

RashanGary
05-19-2006, 12:30 PM
Looking at some of these comments, I realize why the national media is so intent on reporting any slight controversy as if it was the end the world and the crumbling of a new coaching staff.

That is what the drama queen fans want to hear. It's as simple as that. It's so funny that these people acctually care about this.

Favre probably asked to have it off. I'm sure McCarthy would rather have him there but at this point in Favres career, letting him spend a little more time at home so he can fit the game into his life better is a luxery he's afforded himself. Just like Clemens. When your a game changer your team will want you even if football or baseball is your #2 piority after family.

Keep the drama rolling though, it's what keeps many of you going.

MadtownPacker
05-19-2006, 12:37 PM
Looking at some of these comments, I realize why the national media is so intent on reporting any slight controversy as if it was the end the world and the crumbling of a new coaching staff.

That is what the drama queen fans want to hear. It's as simple as that. It's so funny that these people acctually care about this.

Favre probably asked to have it off. I'm sure McCarthy would rather have him there but at this point in Favres career, letting him spend a little more time at home so he can fit the game into his life better is a luxery he's afforded himself. Just like Clemens. When your a game changer your team will want you even if football or baseball is your #2 piority after family.

Keep the drama rolling though, it's what keeps many of you going.
Man your opinions change faster then ice cream left in the sun. From rock solid to a melting waste. You bashed Favre all off season and now he is a game changer? Haha!

Besides, this kind of sheeze it what keeps forums going!

RashanGary
05-19-2006, 12:43 PM
I've never been a big fan of Favre drama. I had a problem with how Brett played last year. Big problem. Many people here said Brett was great but only played bad because of his surroundign cast.

It was partially true IMO but he also menally broke down. My Favre theory's have evolved over the last couple months. Hell, they've evolved over the last 10 years.

MadtownPacker
05-19-2006, 12:49 PM
Dont trip pimp, thats good that you dont get stuck thinking one way for the rest of your life. Dont be a narrow minded chump like Harlan Huckleby. He is full of shit.

Noodle
05-19-2006, 12:51 PM
Look, drama be damned. Like I said, I'm sure not one Packer player cares that Favre is not there, though I do think he'd be a shot in the arm if he showed, and I think his coaches would like every chance they can get to get him comfortable with the offense and his receivers.

My point was directed at debunking this notion that M3 is some kind of plain spoken straight shooter. As Harlan noted, he was asked pretty directly earlier whether it was his idea or Favre's that Favre miss the minicamp. Sonofagun tap danced his way around the question better than ol' Bojangles coulda done.

Now M3 is trying to make it sound like it was all his idea from the start. What crap. Of course he wants his No. 1 in camp as much as possible. So why not say so?

RashanGary
05-19-2006, 12:59 PM
Yeah, McCarthy is definitly not in complete control. I had a problem with Sherman's softy approach to Brett but now that you look at it, any coach who gets Favre is getting a player who is above the system. I don't think any coach could keep Favre down at this point in his career.

Oh well, it is what it is. Do you cut him? I wouldn't simply because as a coach I want to win right now to keep my job and Favre gives me that best shot.

It is what it is. Favre puts his family and farm before football. He's still a legend and as a coach, I guess your tied. Lord Favre is a fitting title.

MadtownPacker
05-19-2006, 01:04 PM
Lord Favre is a fitting title.
It sure is. I'm just pissed for Bulldog cuz he started using it way before any of these reporter chumps started to. Bet they stole it off his post, lousy SOBs!

Noodle
05-19-2006, 01:06 PM
Dont be a narrow minded chump like Harlan Huckleby. He is full of shit.

This is so true. What's he ever done but spread flatulence, bunghole worship and other various abominations? I curse the Blue Dog and his evil, wicked ways.

Scott Campbell
05-19-2006, 01:07 PM
Of course he wants his No. 1 in camp as much as possible. So why not say so?

I don't think starting a pissing match with your number 1 QB in the media would be a good idea. MM is handling this appropriately.

MadtownPacker
05-19-2006, 01:08 PM
Dont be a narrow minded chump like Harlan Huckleby. He is full of shit.

This is so true. What's he ever done but spread flatulence, bunghole worship and other various abominations? I curse the Blue Dog and his evil, wicked ways.
Dont worry, Kharma is finishing him off slowly :twisted:

Noodle
05-19-2006, 01:20 PM
Of course he wants his No. 1 in camp as much as possible. So why not say so?

I don't think starting a pissing match with your number 1 QB in the media would be a good idea. MM is handling this appropriately.

Don't disagree with you too much. I'm more chaffed about how folks used to bitch about Sherman not giving straight answers and how M3 was going to be some sort of fresh air. I think they are both par-for-the-course, very careful NFL professionals. Nothing wrong with that. But spare me the comparisons of M3 to Joe Bluecollar.

But while we're on the subject, why not this: "Brett won't be attending camp. Naturally, I'd like to have him here, we have a lot to do to get things back on a winning track. But, we're going to get a lot done with the folks who are here, and I'm excited about giving Rodgers a shot at working as the No. 1. That can only speed his development, and it builds on all the great work he's done in his off-season workouts, his work at the QB camp we had, and on last month's excellent effort."

I don't see that as creating a pissing match, do you?
And I think it's a little more honest, don't you?

Scott Campbell
05-19-2006, 01:34 PM
Yes, it might be more honest. But I believe Rodgers needs the work. Most teams rely on 2nd string QB's at some point in the season, and Rodgers will not be getting many reps towards the end of training camp. And he won't get much practice once the season starts, unless Brett gets hurt. I have no problem with Brett sitting this one out.

Tarlam!
05-19-2006, 01:42 PM
I think the front office is doing a great PR jobbie on this one. No way did M3 give #4 the week off. Brett took it and dared M3 to do somethin' about it.

But the spin now is the other way around. Not certain if Favre is in on it, but I have a saying: If I write the minutes of the meeting, I own the meeting outcomes. My sales team always always always write the minutes.

M3 or TT own the outcome. Too cool...

RashanGary
05-19-2006, 01:48 PM
Just becuase McCarthy is being influenced by the NFL's most accomplished star doesn't mean he is not a blue collar guy.

Joemailman
05-19-2006, 04:51 PM
McCarthy said before any of the mini-camps he was going to carefully monitor how much throwing Favre does early on. So if Favre came to him and said he wanted to skip the second camp, I suspect McCarthy probably didn't really mind. Who cares whose idea it was for Favre to skip this one, as long as Favre is ready, mentally and physically, for the start of the season?