PDA

View Full Version : Toe injury will limit Woodson in playoffs

packers11
01-01-2008, 02:24 PM
Notebook: Toe injury will limit Woodson in playoffs

By Rob Demovsky
rdemovsk@greenbaypressgazette.com

The Green Bay Packers are facing the likelihood that one of their best defensive players won't be 100 percent healthy during the playoffs.

read the rest here...

http://www.packersnews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080101/PKR01/801010542/1989

packers11
01-01-2008, 02:26 PM
my question is... why didn't they completely shut him down after the Dallas game and save him for the playoffs...

He would have had over a month to heal the toe without aggravating it, and now there is a risk he won't be 100% for the playoffs...

Brandon494
01-01-2008, 03:01 PM
my question is... why didn't they completely shut him down after the Dallas game and save him for the playoffs...

He would have had over a month to heal the toe without aggravating it, and now there is a risk he won't be 100% for the playoffs...

Because we were still fighting for homefield advantage. Also dont read too much into that, Woodson will be ready come playoff time. Not many players are 100% at this time of the season.

Deputy Nutz
01-01-2008, 06:52 PM
Like I tell my wrestlers, everyone at this point in the season is banged up and have their own injuries, the winners are the ones that mentally can fight through it. Woodson is one of those guys, he is a professional.

Harlan Huckleby
01-01-2008, 09:05 PM
the big baby stubbed his toe. I say cut it off and get back out there, this is the playoffs.

Harlan Huckleby
01-01-2008, 09:10 PM
Like I tell my wrestlers, everyone at this point in the season is banged up and have their own injuries

Are you a wrestling coach!? After all your talk of Chuck Liddell and such, wrestling seems too tame for you.

I don't remember people getting injured very much in wrestling. Wrestling is the best sport on the planet to participate in.

Noodle
01-01-2008, 11:20 PM
What really irritates me about this is that Woodson should not have been returning punts at all, given his importance in our defensive backfield.

I remember Scott Campbell had a thread questioning the wisdom of Woodson returning punts before he got injured, and he was right. Redskins made the same mistake with Darrell Green years ago -- he was even more dangerous than Woodson as a returner, but he got hurt doing it and it messed up the Skins D badly.

There's not much you can criticize M3 about, but this was a stupid move, and was totally unnecessary. Folks can say, rub dirt on it, tough it out, but the truth is a toe injury is a huge friggin deal for speed guys.

As for wrestling, maybe the rules have changed since I was in HS back in the late 70s, but the demands in making weight seemed pretty damned dangerous at the time.

HarveyWallbangers
01-02-2008, 01:45 AM
I'm fine with Woodson back there. He can get injured playing defense. No need to baby him. If he's the best punt returner, he should be returning. He was earlier in the year. Heck, Adrian Peterson returned kickoffs half the year. Neon Deon did it. If Blackmon is healthy though, no need for Wood to be back there.

Partial
01-02-2008, 02:13 AM
I'm fine with Woodson back there. He can get injured playing defense. No need to baby him. If he's the best punt returner, he should be returning. He was earlier in the year. Heck, Adrian Peterson returned kickoffs half the year. Neon Deon did it. If Blackmon is healthy though, no need for Wood to be back there.

My sentiments exactly!

Harlan Huckleby
01-02-2008, 10:00 AM
Adrian and Deon weren't back there returning punts in the twilight of their careers, when they were essential, irreplacable starters.

I would think the toe injury would be enough to shake some sense into people. But people are loathe to admit they are wrong, they just dig in their heels more defiantly. See MMM at newsconference, "he'll be back there again."

Aaron Kampman might make a damn fine wedge buster.

And the "argument" that he could get hurt playing defense too is almost too stupid to respond to. Almost. Playing defense is an unavoidable risk. Punt returner is an avoidable situation to be considered seperately. Even Evil Kineivel looked both ways before crossing the street.

MJZiggy
01-02-2008, 10:03 AM
M3 said he'd be back there but did he ever actually PUT him back in? All I remember seeing is Williams and Robinson...

Harlan Huckleby
01-02-2008, 10:05 AM
M3 said he'd be back there but did he ever actually PUT him back in?

I assume he had his face-saving speech, and now will quietly correct the error of his ways.

Zool
01-02-2008, 10:41 AM
http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/S/SandDe00.htm

mmmdk
01-02-2008, 12:12 PM
the big baby stubbed his toe. I say cut it off and get back out there, this is the playoffs.

Yes! I agree! Really! :pack: