PDA

View Full Version : Do you think Jason Taylor is a possibility?

Tony Oday
01-01-2008, 04:58 PM
I mean we have the young guys on the team and we could get him for a draft pick and then have Kamp and Taylor chasing down QBs :)

Partial
01-01-2008, 05:10 PM
Too old to be a TT move.

Bretsky
01-01-2008, 05:12 PM
Too old to be a TT move.

Ditto

Tony Oday
01-01-2008, 05:18 PM
I dont know I mean he has stockpiled the team with young talent dont you think its time for the next phase you know some skilled vets.

Partial
01-01-2008, 05:20 PM
I dont know I mean he has stockpiled the team with young talent dont you think its time for the next phase you know some skilled vets.

No. My guess is he takes another 10 draft picks or so and keeps the best 53 guys. Seems to me that he always wants solid depth by having lots and lots of yougens.

Bretsky
01-01-2008, 05:30 PM

I would not argue with that next phase theory Tony; I just don't think TT will go for it.

Partial
01-01-2008, 05:33 PM

I would not argue with that next phase theory Tony; I just don't think TT will go for it.

I see no reason to because in a year or two 75% of the team will have played in the league for a few years. I'm alright with that.

gbgary
01-01-2008, 06:04 PM
parcells won't let him get away!!!

mmmdk
01-01-2008, 06:09 PM
Too old to be a TT move.

Ditto

...like Woodson? Taylor is HOF caliber player and could transcend age more than others. A big 2 year contract? Not a biggie if TT does not go after Taylor though.

Deputy Nutz
01-01-2008, 06:40 PM
What is Taylor's contract situation? Is he a free agent? If not, then I don't for see a comparison to Charles Woodson. Then, I don't expect Thompson to trade a pick for him even though he knows the system and scheme on defense.

If he is a free agent Taylor will still comand a serious double digit signing bonus, I am thinking 4 years totally 40 million or so. Considering we still pay a large salary to KGB and Jenkins is also signed to a multi year deal, I don't see Thompson opening up the pocket book for Taylor.

I assume Taylor will want to stay in a warmer climate since he has played his whole career in Miami. Maybe he comes to Green Bay ala Reggie White to win a Championship.

Tony Oday
01-01-2008, 06:48 PM
Good lord we have the cap room so thats not a big deal.

gbgary
01-01-2008, 06:52 PM

Deputy Nutz
01-01-2008, 06:56 PM
Good lord we have the cap room so thats not a big deal.

I like Jason Taylor and I would love signing him, but with the combination of Jenkins and KGB for the same price, what does the addition of Taylor really bring to this team? KGB gets just as many sacks and Jenkins is really good against the run.

I just don't see it as a pressing need, even though adding a player like Taylor is always a positive.

cheesner
01-01-2008, 07:19 PM
Good lord we have the cap room so thats not a big deal.Of course it is a big deal. Money is Money. There is only so much to spend. Spending it for the sake of spending it does not improve your team. Using the money to extend are young core of important players is a far better use of our salary cap.

Taylor's best days are behind him. Not sure what we could expect from him next year.

The Shadow
01-01-2008, 08:23 PM
I don't think you obtain a player for big bucks with his best years behind him.
The tricjk is to identify the guy on the way up, and snag him for your price.

HarveyWallbangers
01-01-2008, 09:25 PM
I don't think you obtain a player for big bucks with his best years behind him.
The tricjk is to identify the guy on the way up, and snag him for your price.

Agreed. Jason Taylor will be 34 years old at the start of next season.

4and12to12and4
01-01-2008, 11:39 PM
I think it would be a great move. Kind of like picking up Reggie to put the final piece together. We won 13 games, and Jason Taylor is still a GREAT player. He is very versatile, and we could use his explosiveness in the backfield and he is almost like having a 3-4 defense because of his versatility, he can step back and roam around the field. He is one of the smartest and most instinctual players I have ever seen. If there's no room in the cap for him, maybe Brett should consider playing a year or two for 5 or 6 million instead of ten, if he wants another ring. Speaking of Moss, if we picked up Taylor, we might be able to lure Moss over here too. Pending on what happens this postseason.

I think we have enough young talent, and we are strong enough to win our division again next year, but Chicago is a good QB away from winning it also, and Detroit and Minny are better than they have been in a long time, so we need to get some star power to take us to that next level like the Pats did. Otherwise, we'll just be watching them or Indy pile up Superbowl rings.

GBRulz
01-02-2008, 03:40 PM
The two best players on our team are also probably the oldest ones. I don't get why bringing him here would be so bad IF the money was decent.

http://i39.photobucket.com/albums/e189/gbrulz/off04.jpg

hurleyfan
01-02-2008, 03:45 PM
The two best players on our team are also probably the oldest ones. I don't get why bringing him here would be so bad IF the money was decent.

I agree with bringing him if the money was decent, but I think he's going to get a great deal of money somewhere... IF Parcells lets him go

LL2
01-02-2008, 05:32 PM
After finishing 13-3 and the foundation for a good team there I'm real curious what offseason moves TT will make. if GB wins it all I doubt he will make too many moves, but if they get to the NFC championship game he needs to try and get some playmakers.

SkinBasket
01-02-2008, 10:01 PM
And once again everyone seems to assume he's just sitting there for TT to take. There aren't 30 other teams out there. Just the Pack and a boatload of money.

Scott Campbell
01-02-2008, 10:03 PM

Funny, but she never posted a pic of Grady Jackson with his shirt off.

MJZiggy
01-02-2008, 10:05 PM
I would assume that's because he took his shirt off and the photographer quit on the spot...

The Leaper
01-03-2008, 10:41 AM
If we could get him cheap, fine. However, he likely won't be cheap. I do think he is an upgrade to KGB...who is also getting a little old. However, there may be better options out there who are a little younger and won't be as costly.

Merlin
01-03-2008, 12:47 PM
After finishing 13-3 and the foundation for a good team there I'm real curious what offseason moves TT will make. if GB wins it all I doubt he will make too many moves, but if they get to the NFC championship game he needs to try and get some playmakers.

I disagree. I think he will stick with his plan regardless of how the playoffs shake out for us. The only way I see him making a considerable move is if Favre retires. I also see him bringing in a punter or two in the off season. As much as I like Ryan, he sure became the scapegoat for a loss against the Bears that was a total team breakdown. I am sure he will keep looking at primarily defense in the draft and offensively guards. He will probably take a WR or two and maybe find another cheap RB in FA or cap cuts.

Face it, spending isn't his thing and for as good as Jason Taylor is, he is on a horrible team. I don't think you can judge him at this age unless he gets on a decent team. He gets all the talk in Miami because he is the only making plays.

The Leaper
01-03-2008, 02:07 PM
Face it, spending isn't his thing

Thompson has thrown plenty of money at guys like Bubba Franks and Charles Woodson. In those instances, Green Bay basically was the last suitor for these players.

I think Thompson's larger concern in the last 2 years has been the fact that free agents did not want to even CONSIDER coming to Green Bay, because they viewed the team as one that wasn't competitive after their 4-12 season. Even after 8-8 last year, most thought Favre was close to retirement and that more rebuilding would be necessary. That was why no first tier guys realisitically even considered Green Bay.

It is hard to spend money if guys you want to spend it on decide to not even talk to you about making a deal. I don't think Thompson is cheap...but he is thrifty. He isn't going to pay money he doesn't have to pay. I think that is a good thing by and large, although Thompson needs to be more aggressive this offseason because Favre's window is closing.

Partial
01-03-2008, 02:45 PM

I disagree. I think he will stick with his plan regardless of how the playoffs shake out for us. The only way I see him making a considerable move is if Favre retires. I also see him bringing in a punter or two in the off season. As much as I like Ryan, he sure became the scapegoat for a loss against the Bears that was a total team breakdown. I am sure he will keep looking at primarily defense in the draft and offensively guards. He will probably take a WR or two and maybe find another cheap RB in FA or cap cuts.

Face it, spending isn't his thing and for as good as Jason Taylor is, he is on a horrible team. I don't think you can judge him at this age unless he gets on a decent team. He gets all the talk in Miami because he is the only making plays.

I agree with everything in this other than the drafting receivers. I doubt he takes a wideout, but I do think he'll take a tight end late. I agree he'll add some depth to both lines as well as the secondary. I don't think he'll draft a running back either.

Jerry Tagge
01-03-2008, 03:10 PM

Funny, but she never posted a pic of Grady Jackson with his shirt off.
You know, that was my thought too. Funny how GBRulz wants all the buff guys on the Packers. :wink:

I'll take back my comment if GBRulz posts a picture of Gilbert Brown in a speedo. :D

MJZiggy
01-03-2008, 03:12 PM
I'll take back my comment if GBRulz posts a picture of Gilbert Brown in a speedo. :D

I will GUARANTEE you that if such a picture exists, you really don't wanna see it.

the_idle_threat
01-03-2008, 05:29 PM
I suspect that if such a picture exists, it would have been posted on this site already. :lol: