6. Drafting Brandon Jackson in 2nd round in 2007
5. Not solving interior offensive linemen problem since 2005
4. Drafting Daryn Colledge in 2nd round in 2006
3. Signing Safety Marquand Manuel in 2006
2. Drafting Justin Harrell 16th overall in 2007
1. Missing the boat on Randy Moss in spring of 2007

BallHawk
01-01-2008, 07:51 PM
For the bad, I'd say the jury is still out in 10, 6, and 2.

packers11
01-01-2008, 07:52 PM
I'd say the jury is still out in 10, 6, and 2.

agreed...

Lurker64
01-01-2008, 08:03 PM

Agreed. I think right now, Harrell is more valuable to this team than other likely picks at #16 would have been. Seeing the state of our roster going into the playoffs, I'd certainly rather have Harrell than Meachem or Olsen and even though Dwayne Bowe has looked great, I'm not sure we really need a lot at WR. As I understand it, the popular opinion among a lot of Packer fans were that Thompson should take Bowe, Meachem, Olsen, or Lynch (who was already taken.)

With Cole and Jolly injured, Harrell has a shot to be a major contributor this year when it really matters. He's looked decent in the last few games too; no pass rush out of him, but he hold the point well.

mmmdk
01-01-2008, 08:03 PM

agreed...

Ditto here!

# 5 on bad list is worse than not getting Moss; TT did draft GJ & JJ plus don't forget the talented Murphy who's out of football.

AR, JH & BJ are still talented guys than are learning & waiting their turn.

vince
01-01-2008, 08:16 PM
Wow. What a lightning rod here. I like it!

Here's my take.

It's tough to look at these decisions in such isolation, as they all have a larger context to the decision-making that make them difficult to individualize.

I'd put the Manual signing right down there with the Moss non-signing at the worst of the bad. I agree that Moss was there for the taking.

The two guard signings, while obviously bad when isolated, entailed a lot more complication than can be elicited in a top ten list. Who else was available? What was the cap situation at the time? What would another direction have done to the team's ability to make other good decisions, like sign Kampman for example...

It's kind of tough to crack the top 10 "good" here, but here are a few nominations...

Not matching Houston's 5-year big money bid for Ahman Green...

Atari Bigby found on the scrap heap...

Donald Lee, who's having a ProBowl calibre year...

Johnny Jolly in the 7th round...

I'd also somehow add, rebuilding young depth throughout the roster while achieving cap flexibility and simultaneously returning to NFL prominence as a "good" thing (or four)....

The Shadow
01-01-2008, 08:20 PM
The Good
10. Resigning Aaron Kampman in 2006
9. Drafting AJ Hawk in 2006
8. Signing Ryan Pickett in 2006
7. Extending Donald Driver in 2006
6. Trading Javon Walker for 2nd round pick in 2006
5. Drafting Greg Jennings in 2006 and James Jones in 2007
4. Resigning Nick Barnett in 2007
3. Signing Charles Woodson in 2006
2. Trading 6th round pick for Ryan Grant in 2007
1. Hiring Mike McCarthy in 2006

The Bad
10. Drafting Aaron Rodgers in 2005
9. Not signing Safety Ken Hamlin in free agency in 2007
8. Signing Guard Matt O'Dywer in 2005
7. Signing Offensive Linemen Adrian Klemm in 2005

Diagree with 10 and 2.
I'm very happy we drafted Rodgers, and I think it's WAY too early to pass judgment on Harrell. Sometimes it takes a while for D linemen to blossom. He could turn out to be a great pick.

MJZiggy
01-01-2008, 08:29 PM
Under the bad, I think that the Rodgers pick was kinda based on need. Everyone said we didn't need a QB, but if TT believed (as it seems he did) that Nall wasn't the answer to replace Favre, then it became necessary to find someone as this was right in the middle of the retirement discussion.

I agree with Vince about the O'Dwyer and Klemm signings. To me it's quite possible that they were signed at the time because they were what was available--they certainly didn't last long, did they?

I really don't think that Jackson was a bad signing nor was Colledge, provided the thinking really was that he was gonna take over for Tauscher when his days were done. Harrell, we'll see about, but it may go either way. I suspect in the future we'll look at him as a good signing.

Under the good, I'd move Kampman up some--that was a very good signing. And IIRC, fairly cheap for the time too.

Most of the other stuff I agree with especially Grant and McCarthy, but I think it's funny that just a couple days ago, people would have fought for putting Walker's exit in the bad category and now no one is disputing that it was the right thing to do.

Deputy Nutz
01-01-2008, 08:51 PM
The Bad list was sort of hard to come up with, there are a couple of flyers in there and I simply can't disagree with your comments.

It was hard to isolate some of these especially on the bad list when you take the interior offensive line, Klemm, O'Dywer, Colledge, are all really the same problem.

HarveyWallbangers
01-01-2008, 09:27 PM
Good work, nutz. I like this one:

I think this one is underrated. After the Walker fiasco, this showed that Thompson will take care of his own--if you handle your business in the right way. I think he's done wonders for team chemistry by rewarding his own guys (Corey Williams notwithstanding).

Tarlam!
01-02-2008, 01:28 AM
Good work, nutz. I like this one:

I think this one is underrated. After the Walker fiasco, this showed that Thompson will take care of his own--if you handle your business in the right way. I think he's done wonders for team chemistry by rewarding his own guys (Corey Williams notwithstanding).

He also gave Al' Harris a nice pay rise and did it behind closed doors. That must have added to Harv' point about sending the right message.

Scott Campbell
01-02-2008, 06:38 AM
Great topic. It would be interesting to get Thompson's take on both lists.

Tarlam!
01-02-2008, 06:43 AM
Great topic. It would be interesting to get Thompson's take on both lists.

What a great thought. Someone should suggest it to one/all of the blog writers....

We'll never get an answer on the 10 worst, however. TT has too much class.

MadtownPacker
01-02-2008, 07:09 AM
I would put not trading draft picks with the browns last year in the first round as a good move.

Tarlam!
01-02-2008, 07:10 AM
I would put not trading draft picks with the browns last year in the first round as a good move.

Mad, is that car real? Does that decal reall exist in real life on that car?

MadtownPacker
01-02-2008, 07:15 AM
Nah man, it's all pretendo. But I use to have a ride I wanted to hook up like that but I was gonna put the logo on the hood.

That was before I flipped it over in some grape vines (that aint pretendo).

Tarlam!
01-02-2008, 07:22 AM
Looks cool anyhow. It should be filed under "Things that SHOULD exist, but don't"

hoosier
01-02-2008, 09:22 AM
Under the bad, I think that the Rodgers pick was kinda based on need. Everyone said we didn't need a QB, but if TT believed (as it seems he did) that Nall wasn't the answer to replace Favre, then it became necessary to find someone as this was right in the middle of the retirement discussion.

How was Rodgers a pick based on need? I think every pick--even TT's--is based on need to a certain extent. For example, unless you're looking at a future HOF talent no one is going to spend a 1 on a MLB or WLB if there's already a young, promising and highly paid starter at that position. But looking at the Packers before the 2005 draft, you could argue that every position (except maybe MLB and OTs) was a position of need, assuming you define need as either (a) no adequate starter or (b) aging starter who will need to replaced sooner rather than later. In any case, Rodgers certainly didn't fill an immediate need, which is why TT got so much grief for that pick.

MJZiggy
01-02-2008, 09:33 AM

How was Rodgers a pick based on need? I think every pick--even TT's--is based on need to a certain extent. For example, unless you're looking at a future HOF talent no one is going to spend a 1 on a MLB or WLB if there's already a young, promising and highly paid starter at that position. But looking at the Packers before the 2005 draft, you could argue that every position (except maybe MLB and OTs) was a position of need, assuming you define need as either (a) no adequate starter or (b) aging starter who will need to replaced sooner rather than later. In any case, Rodgers certainly didn't fill an immediate need, which is why TT got so much grief for that pick.

Favre was already starting to talk retirement at that point. The quarterbacks on the roster when Rodgers was picked were Nall, Doug Pederson and J.T. O'Sullivan. If Favre retires in 05 or 06, which one of them do you think is capable of taking over as field general and leading the team to the Super Bowl? At the time people were screaming about the pick because Favre was on the roster and they had people who could back him up, but I think Thompson saw him as a capable replacement (jury's still out) who could take the team somewhere once Favre hung it up. Fans wanted a player that could fill a more IMMEDIATE need. Thompson saw the need coming and, really how many of us expected Favre to come back in '07?

Harlan Huckleby
01-02-2008, 09:55 AM
The Bad

what the hell!? Favre was talking retirement, had to move. What more could you expect from Rodgers?

Carolina_Packer
01-02-2008, 09:56 AM
The Good

The Bad

Under the good I would also say finding our team record setting, NFL points leading kicker in the 6th round.

I agree with those who think the jury is still out on the draft picks, including A-Rod. We (luckily) haven't needed A-Rod, except for the Dallas game this year. He is a "necessary evil", so to speak. No Packer fan wants Favre to retire (ok, the vast majority), but with him being 38 and talking retirement, you gotta groom a capable successor. He's with us, so he's ours and we live with the pick.

As for losing Moss, I give credit to the Patriots. When one team beats another on Sunday, players and coaches who get it will give credit to the other team for their effort and not just focus on the mistakes made. New England scooped us with the 4th round pick they had acquired from San Francisco, who went for it last draft by picking up another late first round draft pick from New England in exchange for SF's 2008 first round draft, which will be #7 (ouch), plus San Fran gave them a 4th round in 2007 which they used to trade to Oakland for Moss, thus scooping TT and the Packers. It was a shrewd move. Have you ever been bidding on something on e-Bay and thought you were the only bidder, and you are tracking and tracking and then boom, at the 11th hour last minute, you lose the auction to someone who was waiting in the wings to see how much the would have to bid to win it. That's what the Patriots did.

As for O'Dwyer and Klemm, I think TT thought he needed to shop the (Stop) Gap because of perceived (or real) financial constraints at the time. I think he wishes he could have gotten Wahle back, but stuck to his guns.

Him sticking to his guns has had more hits and misses in my opinion and makes him a good GM.

cpk1994
01-02-2008, 09:58 AM
I totally disagree with not signing Moss to be a bad move. The Pack are 13-3 and have great chemistry with what they have. This is all without Moss. I would put the Moss non-signing on the good move list.

Carolina_Packer
01-02-2008, 11:01 AM
I totally disagree with not signing Moss to be a bad move. The Pack are 13-3 and have great chemistry with what they have. This is all without Moss. I would put the Moss non-signing on the good move list.

And, it wasn't without risk at the time. It's easy to sit back now that he seems like a tamed tiger with the TD record that it was worth the risk, but it could have also gone south. Moss has proven that if he is not happy, he may or may not perform. Boy, lucky for the Patriots they are 16-0. Moss must be giddy as a school girl.

CaliforniaCheez
01-02-2008, 11:02 AM
The Good

The Bad

One or the other a)Giving Sherman the extension or b) firing him a few months later.

Here are some I would consider for the list either good or bad:

Terminating Mike Wahle
Not re-signing Torrence Marshall
Drafting William Whitticker in the 7th round
Release of Cleditus Hunt
R-Kal Truluck released
Chris Johnson for Robert Thomas trade
getting a conditional pick for Morely
Releasing Ben Steele and signing Donald Lee.
Signing Samkon Gado
Release of Joey Thomas
Hiring Kurt Shottenheimer
Ahmad Carrol release
waiving Roy Manning
Barnett extension
Jenkins extention
Donald Lee extention
Kory Hall drafted
Johnny Jolly drafted

MJZiggy
01-02-2008, 11:07 AM
Interesting list, the only contentious item is that M3 hired Schotty, not TT.

The Shadow
01-02-2008, 12:16 PM
#1 Best Move :- Elevating the Packers from laughingstock to Super Bowl contender in record time.

MadtownPacker
01-02-2008, 12:30 PM
#2 Best Move :- Making "#1 Best Move" happen before The Shadow croaked.

The Shadow
01-02-2008, 03:59 PM
#2 Best Move :- Making "#1 Best Move" happen before The Shadow croaked.

And these days that looms huge!