View Full Version : Ranking - NFL's best play-callers

GrnBay007
01-01-2008, 11:52 PM
I don't recall this being posted.

#7- MIKE McCARTHY

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/football/nfl/2007-12-26-playcallers-main_N.htm

Partial
01-01-2008, 11:58 PM
BS. I think Coach Mac is one of the best play callers. Look at early in the season when he had so much success without a decent running game or a #2 receiver. Let's not forget things didn't really start to click with the offense until Koren, Jennings AND Grant were all playing.

4and12to12and4
01-02-2008, 12:01 AM
No, it hasn't been posted. Nice find. I'm glad M3 is getting recognized for this. One thing that I loved about watching the games this year was how he recognized our strengths on offense and called plays accordingly. Spreading the offense out like he did was bold and unpredictable. I never knew what was coming on any given play. So many times I would say, here comes a run and it was a pass and vice versa. I love his playcalling, and I hope he doesn't change it this postseason and get conservative, but Brett's gotta respond better to pressure, he was not himself in Texas and that scares me a bit, he seemed nervous and tentative, he needs to keep his composure with this young team, he HAS to be the leader out there.

4and12to12and4
01-02-2008, 12:04 AM
BS. I think Coach Mac is one of the best play callers. Look at early in the season when he had so much success without a decent running game or a #2 receiver. Let's not forget things didn't really start to click with the offense until Koren, Jennings AND Grant were all playing.

What is the "BS" for? He's getting recognigtion just by being in the list. And the comment was a good one from Aikman. Did you want him to be in 1st?

Partial
01-02-2008, 12:06 AM
I don't think Jason Garrett is any better. Or half of those above him. The list is really kind of ridiculous imo because talent can overcome bad play calling. Likewise, good play calling can maximize talent.

BallHawk
01-02-2008, 12:35 PM
I don't think Jason Garrett is any better. Or half of those above him. The list is really kind of ridiculous imo because talent can overcome bad play calling. Likewise, good play calling can maximize talent.

Garrett is top notch, IMO. He has talent around him, but he's a smart guy and he knows what to call and when to call it.

McCarthy isn't top-notch, not just yet. He still makes a few new coach mistakes and some games he gets blown out of the water by the other coach in terms of game planning and play calling.

McCarthy is getting there, he just needs more experience.