PDA

View Full Version : Falcons to interview Packers McKenzie, Schneider for GM job

Charles Woodson
01-02-2008, 11:03 AM
ATLANTA -- The Atlanta Falcons will interview a pair of Green Bay Packers scouting officials, director of pro personnel Reggie McKenzie and personnel analyst John Schneider, for the position of general manager.

Interviews with both Green Bay officials are expected to be conducted this week.

The Falcons are seeking a general manager and a new head coach and it is highly unlikely that one man will fill both positions. Head coach Bobby Petrino resigned with three games remaining in his first season to accept the job at the University of Arkansas. Shortly thereafter, owner Arthur Blank announced that current president/general manager Rich McKay would lose his oversight of the personnel department.

It is expected, at least for now, that McKay will remain as the team president, and Blank has offered him a contract extension to do so.

A 10th-round pick of the Raiders in the 1985 draft, McKenzie, 44, played seven years in the NFL as a linebacker, with stints at Oakland (1985-88), Arizona (1989-90) and San Francisco (1992). The former University of Tennessee star was forced into retirement by a knee injury. He joined the Green Bay personnel department as a pro scout in 1994 and is in his 10th season as director of pro personnel.

McKenzie has been a candidate for general manager positions in the past, most recently with the Tennessee Titans.

Schneider, 36, is in his second tenure with the Green Bay scouting department. He originally joined the Packers as an intern under then-general manager Ron Wolf in 1992 and subsequently served four seasons (1993-96) as a personnel assistant. After jobs in Kansas City (1997-99), Seattle (2000) and Washington (2001), Schneider rejoined the Packers' organization in 2002 and has served the last six seasons as a personnel analyst.

There are likely to be several other candidates for the general manager position in Atlanta, but they have not yet been identified.

As first reported by ESPN.com on Monday afternoon, Falcons officials will travel to Dallas on Friday to interview Cowboys' assistant head coach Tony Sparano for the Atlanta head coach position. The Falcons have also received permission to meet with Dallas offensive coordinator Jason Garrett, but as of Tuesday, he had not yet agreed to be interviewed for the job.

Senior writer Len Pasquarelli covers the NFL for ESPN.com.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3177277

Zool
01-02-2008, 11:54 AM
McKenzie gets an interview every year it seems. Wonder if this will be the year?

Tarlam!
01-02-2008, 12:36 PM
He must interview terribley. He certainly has my vote to be a GM!

LL2
01-02-2008, 01:05 PM
As long as we do not lose Andrew Brandt. He does a great job managing the cap and structuring salaries.

Scott Campbell
01-02-2008, 01:12 PM
I just realized that after all these years, I had no idea what Andrew Brandt looked like.

http://law.marquette.edu/s3/site/images/sports/andrewBrandt.jpg

Scott Campbell
01-02-2008, 01:13 PM
Reggie McKenzie:

http://media.scout.com/Media/Image/39/394710.jpg

Tarlam!
01-02-2008, 01:39 PM
I just realized that after all these years, I had no idea what Andrew Brandt looked like.

He was the guy responsible for the Walker/ McKenzie fiascos...

OK, I was just being a shit. Everybody calm down!

pbmax
01-02-2008, 02:38 PM
I am sure they would both love to run a franchise, I'm not sure I would recommend the job to either. They are already interviewing coaching candidates according to PFT and the upshot might be they wouldn't have total authority.

Many teams function without the GM in total control but if you get that authority, at least your fate is of your own making.

hurleyfan
01-02-2008, 03:08 PM

He was the guy responsible for the Walker/ McKenzie fiascos...

Wasn't Shermie the big problem w/McKenzie? Drew Rosenhaus the big problem w/Walker?

OK, I was just being a shit. Everybody calm down!

GBRulz
01-02-2008, 03:52 PM
I thought people couldn't interview any of our staff until the playoffs are over? Or does that only apply to say, head coaches and assistants?

Kiwon
01-02-2008, 06:01 PM
Reggie's stock is high right now due to the Packers success. Best time to make a move if a job is offered.

MJZiggy
01-02-2008, 06:03 PM
I thought people couldn't interview any of our staff until the playoffs are over? Or does that only apply to say, head coaches and assistants?

It's head coaches and assistants, but they can interview during the bye week if we have a bye, they just can't hire until after the season finishes.

BlueBrewer
01-03-2008, 08:47 AM
I always wondered why McKenzie never got a new job, in the back of my mind I thought maybe they were interviewing him to meet the affirmative action requirement.

HarveyWallbangers
01-03-2008, 09:32 AM
Where's Wist? He's be happy about this. He thinks the Packers scouting department sucks. How come he's not posting now that the Packers went 13-3?

pbmax
01-03-2008, 09:39 AM
Sometimes the Journal Sentinel gets it hindquarters handed to them on hiring issues. Two news outlets have reported that Blank was in town and did the interviews (yesterday I believe). True or not, this warrants mention or at least a knocking down.

And Ziggy has it right, teams can prevent any front office personnel from interviewing unless the job entails full control over personnel when they don't already have that power.

Assistant Coaches have no such escape clause, but there is a window where they are allowed to be interviewed during the bye week.

pbmax
01-03-2008, 09:51 AM
from Adam Schefter of NFL Network via PFT:

Adam Schefter of NFL Network reports that the Atlanta Falcons continue to actively search for both a G.M. and a head coach. At the same time.

Per Schefter, Blank was in Green Bay on Wednesday, interviewing director of pro personnel Reggie McKenzie and personnel analyst John Schneider. Blank then will head to Indy to interview assistant G.M. Chris Polian.

Maybe McGinn didn't see the large orange and white aircraft overhead with the Home Depot logo on it.